Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

CrowsNestMutineer posted:

Above all else, the WBC crew are cowards. Sure, they might fly to Iraq, but do you really think they'd go outside Baghdad or the Iraqi Kurdistan Region? poo poo, they probably wouldn't even set foot outside the airport. More realistically, though, they'll probably just fail to do the various things that a US citizen has to do in order to travel to Iraq, and then shift all the blame. "Oh, of course we intended to go, but..."

Buncha jackasses. Here, I did all the research for them.

They always back out of promises. Like all the celebrity funerals they claim they will picket. Most of the time they never go.

The only good news about the WBC is that a ton of younger members have left, including several of Shirley's own children. One of the top fanatic members, Meagan Phelps-Roper (Shirley's oldest daughter I believe), left a year or two ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Chomp8645 posted:

Why do you assume that anyone is sharing it "seriously"? I'd be surprised if any of them are.

I keep expecting my mom to share it on my timeline, since she loves all of the chain mail luck/money letters. People love that poo poo for some reason. Kind of like the "Let's see if we can share this picture across all 50 states!" posts.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
what kind of faulty brainwiring makes a person even want to picket robin williams' funeral :smith:

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Chomp8645 posted:

Why do you assume that anyone is sharing it "seriously"? I'd be surprised if any of them are.

Because they're old, didn't you hear? old people have no sense of satire/sarcasm, so everything they do must be unironic.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

speaking of being old

tumblr apparently doesn't understand how aging works

CrowsNestMutineer
Mar 9, 2009

* Juciano makes the best damned Caesar dressing I've ever tasted in my life.

Excels posted:

speaking of being old

tumblr apparently doesn't understand how aging works

Being President of the United States is quite possibly the most stressful job on the planet; everybody who holds the office comes out looking disproportionately older. It's said you age about ten years for each four-year term. Obama is no exception.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

Patchouli Patrol posted:

My coworker who takes herself way, way too seriously. She recently made a stink about one of us doing an event at the aquarium because she doesn't "believe in aquariums". Apparently, she also doesn't believe that people can care about multiple things at the same time.

She does realize that ALS isn't a disease exclusive to white people, right?

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Being President of the United States is quite possibly the most stressful job on the planet; everybody who holds the office comes out looking disproportionately older. It's said you age about ten years for each four-year term. Obama is no exception.

Doesn't help that presidents are around the age where the aging stick turns into the aging hand of ragnaros.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

also lol @ her trying to tear down the one trending topic that isn't totally depressing. sorry people were trying to have fun while other people were not having fun. check your white privilege, how dare you raise awareness about a terrible disease instead of just squawking at ferguson news reports that you can't or won't likely do anything about.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Patchouli Patrol posted:

My coworker who takes herself way, way too seriously. She recently made a stink about one of us doing an event at the aquarium because she doesn't "believe in aquariums". Apparently, she also doesn't believe that people can care about multiple things at the same time.

Wow what a loon.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Yeah, look at Bill Clinton before and after. Even massive blowjobs were no help.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Yeah, look at Bill Clinton before and after. Even massive blowjobs were no help.

I remember my friends and I joking that if McCain became president by the end of his first term he would look like Skeletor.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Patchouli Patrol posted:

Apparently, she also doesn't believe that people can care about multiple things at the same time.

Post a thought provoking scenario question. 'Picture this, you've just gone to the doctor and after a worrying amount of testing it turns out you have cancer. You'd be crushed right? Right? But, what if, on the same day, you found out that your son/daughter/husband/wife had been killed? WHICH ONE WOULD YOU CARE ABOUT????'

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
Speaking of the ice bucket challenge, one of the girls I never speak to has liked Buzzfeed's page so I'm inundated with posts from them, every single one going, "Shut it down! [Blank] has won! This is the best ALS ice bucket challenge I've ever seen!" So far, it's been Chris Pratt, Charlie Sheen, Britney Spears, Patrick Stewart, and now Benedict Cumberbatch (the last two were on the same day). There will continue to be ALS awareness videos, each of them "better". Stop saying that. gently caress you Buzzfeed.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

kinmik posted:

Speaking of the ice bucket challenge, one of the girls I never speak to has liked Buzzfeed's page so I'm inundated with posts from them, every single one going, "Shut it down! [Blank] has won! This is the best ALS ice bucket challenge I've ever seen!" So far, it's been Chris Pratt, Charlie Sheen, Britney Spears, Patrick Stewart, and now Benedict Cumberbatch (the last two were on the same day). There will continue to be ALS awareness videos, each of them "better". Stop saying that. gently caress you Buzzfeed.

I had no idea what the hell the ice bucket challenge was about because everything was being shared from Buzzfeed and no one was actually talking about ALS. Just thought it was some dumb meme.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Don Gato posted:

I remember my friends and I joking that if McCain became president by the end of his first term he would look like Skeletor.

This isn't saying much--McCain can already use Skeletor's ID to get into pubs.

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.

kinmik posted:

People from my hometown have gotten on to it now and are nominating each other like crazy but not one is mentioning any charity which is kinda lovely.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I had no idea what the hell the ice bucket challenge was about because everything was being shared from Buzzfeed and no one was actually talking about ALS. Just thought it was some dumb meme.

The important part is taking 30 seconds to talk about ALS and link donation sites in the video. Celebs that can afford to both donate a good amount and pour water on themselves is just funny to watch and I can't understand grumpy people complaining about it. Yeah it's annoying to get your Facebook feed or whatever flooded with videos, but come on, It'll pass and a big amount of money have been donated for a good cause.

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Grandma's got her facebook up and running again!

I don't tend to mind the "feel good" poo poo she posts sometimes. But this was followed not an hour later with:

Haha yeah, let's just murder people. Gotta stay true to my soul!

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

kinmik posted:

Besides, Mega64's already made the best Ice Bucket Challenge video, and I don't see anyone topping it.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

It finally happened.

And here's the rest of the text:

quote:

You won't recognize me. My name was Antonio West and I was the 13-month old child who was shot at point blank range by two teens who were attempting to rob my mother, who was also shot. A Grand Jury of my mommy's peers from Brunswick GA determined the teens who murdered me will not face the death penalty...too bad I was given a death sentence for being innocent and defenseless.

My family made the mistake of being white in a 73% non-white neighborhood, but my murder was not ruled a Hate Crime. Nor did President Obama take so much as a single moment to acknowledge my murder.

I am one of the youngest murder victims in our Nation's history, but the media doesn't care to cover the story of my tragic demise, President Obama has no children who could possibly look like me - so he doesn't care and the media doesn't care because my story is not interesting enough to bring them ratings so they can sell commercial time slots.

There is not a white equivalent of Al Sharpton because if there was he would be declared racist, so there is no one rushing to Brunswick GA to demand justice for me. There is no White Panther party to put a bounty on the lives of those who murdered me. I have no voice, I have no representation and unlike those who shot me in the face while I sat innocently in my stroller - I no longer have my life.

So while you are seeking justice for Trayvon, please remember to seek justice for me too. Tell your friends about me, tell you families, get tee shirts with my face on them and make the world pay attention, just like you did for Trayvon.

Thank you.

This is my stepmother, someone I used to respect and admire for being a strong, intelligent woman. I have no idea if she was always a racist or if spending the last twenty years with my father did this to her, but I saw this this morning.

She tried to argue with me that Trayvon was "a Thug, who smoke THE MARIJUANA" back when Trayvon was the big hot button on Facebook for racists to out themselves. I'm not sure why she shared it now, but it's probably because of what's happening in Ferguson, and also she's a racist old white lady.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Nikaer Drekin posted:

Besides, Mega64's already made the best Ice Bucket Challenge video, and I don't see anyone topping it.

The only thing they forgot was a big dancing pie chart showing that over half the donated money goes to administrative costs, fundraising, and advertising.

fake edit: oh my god casey anthony

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

joylessdivision posted:

This is my stepmother, someone I used to respect and admire for being a strong, intelligent woman. I have no idea if she was always a racist or if spending the last twenty years with my father did this to her, but I saw this this morning.

She tried to argue with me that Trayvon was "a Thug, who smoke THE MARIJUANA" back when Trayvon was the big hot button on Facebook for racists to out themselves. I'm not sure why she shared it now, but it's probably because of what's happening in Ferguson, and also she's a racist old white lady.

It's almost as if people don't really understand why people are upset about the Trayvon Martin/Michael Brown shootings. It's not just because an unarmed young man was murdered. It's because there are no repercussion for the perpetrator (aka 'justice'). Every single one of those "WHITE PERSON KILLED BY THUG" is a story where some person is murdered, the criminal is caught, tried, and sentenced. There's no need for outcry because the system did it's loving job. drat.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Patchouli Patrol posted:

It's like people think human beings have a finite amount of "care points" to spend on issues, and if you care a lot about one thing for a brief moment in your life, it means you literally cannot care about anything else. "Sorry, I spent all my care coins on ALS this week, go gently caress yourselves, people of Libya!"

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Olanphonia posted:

It's almost as if people don't really understand why people are upset about the Trayvon Martin/Michael Brown shootings. It's not just because an unarmed young man was murdered. It's because there are no repercussion for the perpetrator (aka 'justice'). Every single one of those "WHITE PERSON KILLED BY THUG" is a story where some person is murdered, the criminal is caught, tried, and sentenced. There's no need for outcry because the system did it's loving job. drat.

But they didn't get the death penalty! That's almost the same as innocent!

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

The only thing they forgot was a big dancing pie chart showing that over half the donated money goes to administrative costs, fundraising, and advertising.

That's just the reality of running a charity, especially a large one. It's arguable they could spend more money on research and relief for sufferers, but there are so many worse charities out there that operate for lovely reasons which have little to do with helping anyone but the administrators.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

kinmik posted:

Thanks for the heads up - Bendytoots was great.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I like that the whole "But what about this kid" ignores that the murderers were arrested and charged within days of the shooting, and that the reason they didn't face the death penalty is because Georgia doesn't allow it for crimes committed by someone under the age 18 (one was 17, the other 15).

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
Uhhhh has everyone forgotten about Ebola already?! I, myself, always have RSS feeds that tell me how much of a piece of poo poo I am for not donating everything I own to brown people. God bless.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Excels posted:

The classic mansport of fedoras.

A few pages back, but actually this guy, other than the Brony/fedora thing, doesn't seem to have much wrong with him. No misogyny, no libertarianism, no "wake up sheeple". Just kind of a pretentious young guy, and which one of us weren't?

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

glowing-fish posted:

A few pages back, but actually this guy, other than the Brony/fedora thing, doesn't seem to have much wrong with him. No misogyny, no libertarianism, no "wake up sheeple". Just kind of a pretentious young guy, and which one of us weren't?

I am a Optimist AND a pessimist. I love rainbows, I'm not gay

Aperture Priority
May 4, 2009

~~*~~Is Dream~~*~~
:coolfish::3::coolfish:

The SF Bay Area had a fairly powerful earthquake last night, and other than the usual posts about things falling over or how scared their animals were one gem stood out:

Someone failed science class.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

Except Reagan, but that's because he was so old to begin with. That and the daily naps he required probably helped.

All on Black
Dec 14, 2007

She's not "that Mexican", Mom, she's MY Mexican. And she's...Colombian or something.

Higgy posted:

Haha yeah, let's just murder people. Gotta stay true to my soul!

This is great because Clint Eastwood is very outspoken on gun control legislation and opposes the NRA.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Goddamn it, Tuvalu, people take this website seriously because of your country's domain, like it's informative or something :argh:

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

glowing-fish posted:

Just kind of a pretentious young guy, and which one of us weren't?

I wasn't.

My nephew just posted on Facebook that the Ice Bucket Challenge was a major contributing factor to the ongoing drought. I have disowned him.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

xcheopis posted:

I wasn't.

My nephew just posted on Facebook that the Ice Bucket Challenge was a major contributing factor to the ongoing drought. I have disowned him.

Someone on my Facebook went on about how privileged it is to waste water on a meme when there are people out there without any access to clean water. God forbid anyone ever forget that people around the world have incredibly lovely lives.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Someone on my Facebook went on about how privileged it is to waste water on a meme when there are people out there without any access to clean water. God forbid anyone ever forget that people around the world have incredibly lovely lives.

Tell her how privileged it is to waste electricity on powering her modem and computer when there are people out there without any access to electricity or internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Je suis fatigue
May 5, 2009

Amazing! It's a double J.O.!

What are doing, swimming? There are people that would love to drink that pool you monster.

• Locked thread