Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Lifehack: cut up your hot dogs into small bites, eat them with ketchup and a fork. Remember what being a small child was like, use the feeling to do something constructive.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
In the name of science I just corkscrewed a sausage that I ate with breakfast.

It worked pretty ok.

Might do it for some kids who might actually give a gently caress.

(was pretty fun to do a spiral of ketchup on the sausage tho)

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Falcon2001 posted:

I don't corkscrew, but I do slash my hotdogs before I broil them because it adds extra surface area for searing, same basic concept on the corkscrew though. Tastes good, man.

Yeah, gently caress it, next time I want a hot dog I'm making it a duck dick dog.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

Gorilla Salad posted:

Oh god, it reminds me of that horribly hosed up goon who sliced his penis in half lengthwise and then posted videos and gifs of himself.

wait what

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Gorilla Salad posted:

Oh god, it reminds me of that horribly hosed up goon who sliced his penis in half lengthwise and then posted videos and gifs of himself.

I think they're what we (and the rest of the Commonwealth) call saveloys.

You know, I haven't had a "little boy" in years. Feeling quite peckish.

Nope, what most Americans refer to as 'hot dogs' are a type of sausage closer to the frankfurter.

But yeah, when it comes to sausages and buns, it's like Tiny Brontosaurus says, the combo is still only referred to by the sausage type. A brat(wurst) and a (hot) dog are two similar but distinct meals.

KillerEggplant
Apr 2, 2011

As an American living in Germany, I was somewhat startled and confused the first time I ordered a hot dog at a stand and got a sausage that was definitely not a hot dog in a bun. It wasn't a bad sausage by any means, mind you. Just not what I expected.

Here's the How It's Made segment on American hot dogs. Some people are disgusted by the process. I'm not particularly bothered, which is a good thing, since my daughter is obsessive about How It's Made. She loves this episode in particular, so I've seen it probably a hundred times.

Moryrie
Sep 24, 2012
Vienna sausages are prettymuch canned hotdogs if that helps anyone? Unless the US variety of those is different from the rest of the world as well, which wouldn't surprise me.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

KillerEggplant posted:

As an American living in Germany, I was somewhat startled and confused the first time I ordered a hot dog at a stand and got a sausage that was definitely not a hot dog in a bun. It wasn't a bad sausage by any means, mind you. Just not what I expected.

Here's the How It's Made segment on American hot dogs. Some people are disgusted by the process. I'm not particularly bothered, which is a good thing, since my daughter is obsessive about How It's Made. She loves this episode in particular, so I've seen it probably a hundred times.

How It's Made owns and your daughter owns. You've done well.

ReverendGodless
Jan 9, 2013

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.

Want pieces of glass studding the palm of your hand? Do this and go shake hands with the person you hate the most!

Friend of my sister did this and now they have a black ring on their coffee table.

Throw it in the dishwasher, then rinse it with cold water and thoroughly wring it, but for god's sake don't microwave your sponges. My mom did that and not only did it seem to promote the growth of mildew, it made the house smell like she was microwaving a wet dog.

Do something other than what this super compressed image tells you!

Mr. Beefhead
May 8, 2003

I can make beans into peas.

kinmik posted:

Throw it in the dishwasher, then rinse it with cold water and thoroughly wring it, but for god's sake don't microwave your sponges. My mom did that and not only did it seem to promote the growth of mildew, it made the house smell like she was microwaving a wet dog.

Maybe she didn't do it long enough? Or maybe she let her sponge get way too disgusting first? I microwave my dish sponge weekly and it makes smell fresh and last about 5x longer, and it certainly doesn't stink up my kitchen or anything else. Just get it wet, throw it in a glass, and microwave it for a couple of minutes. Just make sure to run some cool water over it before you use it or you'll burn the poo poo out of your hands.

As a bonus, the steam from it softens up any nastiness you might have going on in your microwave, so it's a good time to give the interior of your microwave a weekly cleaning.

Mr. Beefhead has a new favorite as of 21:41 on Aug 24, 2014

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Lifehack: a kitchen sponge costs like 50 cents yo.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

My Lovely Horse posted:

Lifehacking really is about doing the most effort for the least reward. True lifehacking is when the cost exceeds the benefit.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:
Lifehack: Bleach exists. It actually exists for real, in the real world, and it kills 99.9% of germs.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

kazil posted:

Lifehacking really is about doing the most effort for the least reward. True lifehacking is when the cost exceeds the benefit.

Throwing a sponge in the microwave takes so much time and effort :allears:

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

Geokinesis posted:

Well after you've had however many wanks a day don't waste your spunk:

I wish I could have seen the look of disappointment on Ben's face when it turned out she wanted it in a bowl.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.
Aren't American hot dogs basically tubed bologna?

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

KillerEggplant posted:

What was it in then? usually when I get a hot dog here it's in a bun but with remoulade, crispy onions and pickles.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I bought some of those little spongecake dessert cups and put strawberry ice cream in them. It was tasty. If you like strawberry shortcake but don't have fresh strawberries, try that.

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

bean_shadow posted:

Aren't American hot dogs basically tubed bologna?

Depends on the brand. A good hot dog should have more spice and be smoked. But some people are meek and want bologna in a long bun so that's why Oscar Meyer exists.

Also, natural casings are delicious and anyone who says they are gross are too squeamish to be eating dead animals at all.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

KillerEggplant posted:

This is a much better video on how hot dogs are made. She will love it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLwPXMedIaI

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.

Mr. Beefhead posted:

Maybe she didn't do it long enough? Or maybe she let her sponge get way too disgusting first?
This is highly likely. My parents don't have a dishwasher either. All I know is that the smell permeated the entirety of the house and I'd find all kinds of excuses to run errands outside.

Mr. Beefhead
May 8, 2003

I can make beans into peas.

My Lovely Horse posted:

My god, you're right! Come to think of it, my dishtowels probably cost about 50 cents as well! And I'm sure my socks don't cost much more!

Lifehack: Don't waste time washing things when you can just throw them out you loving chump

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

kinmik posted:

This is highly likely. My parents don't have a dishwasher either. All I know is that the smell permeated the entirety of the house and I'd find all kinds of excuses to run errands outside.

I just pop them in with the whites when I do a load and they get washed and bleached. (Skip the dryer.) Seems to work well. Nothing lasts forever, but this gets a couple months out of them. I'm not putting funky poo poo in my microwave.

ChocNitty posted:

This is a much better video on how hot dogs are made. She will love it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLwPXMedIaI

ha, love it! :allears:

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Mr. Beefhead posted:

My god, you're right! Come to think of it, my dishtowels probably cost about 50 cents as well! And I'm sure my socks don't cost much more!

Lifehack: Don't waste time washing things when you can just throw them out you loving chump

If you get to the point where you think microwaving your socks is the best way to clean them, then yes please throw them out.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Take this no further. It is knowledge you do not want.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Tomatoes are the only thing Subway will just keep giving you if you ask for more politely. I routinely ask for "triple tomatoes" on my sub because gently caress you its awesome. Someone once told me they do the same for Spinach as well. This seems like the kind of lifehack thing people would talk about because you gots to maximize your 5 dollar footlong profits.

My wife once took the time to write to Subway complaining that the guy there wouldn't put as many tomatoes as she wanted on a sandwich, stating that he couldn't because "the sandwich won't close". (My wife really likes tomatoes.)

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Brocktoon posted:

My wife once took the time to write to Subway complaining that the guy there wouldn't put as many tomatoes as she wanted on a sandwich, stating that he couldn't because "the sandwich won't close". (My wife really likes tomatoes.)

Your wife sounds like an rear end in a top hat.

Kate Hate
Aug 26, 2006

relaxing after a hard day's rape
I had a pair of jeans where the zipper wouldn't stay up so I tried the keychain ring trick. Saved me from having to replace a pair of pants that were in great condition! Also any sort of "life hack" that involves cleaning something by rubbing it in nothing but water and baking soda is just going to leave you another mess to deal with.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Brocktoon posted:

From what I understand, Subway policy is 'six pieces' of any vegetable, and each request for extra gets an additional six.

Some places are really anal about corporate, so they put on six olives.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Lifehack: make your own sandwiches at home. You can have whatever you want on them!

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Lifehack: sometimes you are out of the house and want to purchase some food for a convenient meal!

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight
Lifehack: Jokes are a waste of time. Don't get them.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Lifehack: dump your Subway sandwhich on the floor and eat it off the floor like a animal you piece of poo poo

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Wandle Cax posted:

Lifehack: sometimes you are out of the house and want to purchase some food for a convenient meal!
Turn around, go back home, and make your own sandwich with these 5 simple tricks:

1) Check out @dickmaggot50's recipe for toilet bread
2) Read through 25 common household meat replacements for some great meat substitues!
3) Take a stroll through your "neighborhood garden" and forage for 17 edible rocks!
4) Make cheese by leaving a half-gallon of whole milk under your deck for 12 weeks!
5) If you are out of mustard or tomatoes, just substitute 4 cups of mayo.

Enjoy your expanded sandwich making future!

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011
Lifehack: Waste your time on an internet forum, arguing with other nerds, after all who needs real life socializing?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Medieval Medic posted:

Lifehack: Waste your time on an internet forum, arguing with other nerds, after all who needs real life socializing?

This, unironically.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Tunicate posted:

From what I understand, Subway policy is 'six pieces' of any vegetable, and each request for extra gets an additional six.

Some places are really anal about corporate, so they put on six olives.

This is correct - though my policy was always follow corporate, then if they ask for more, just scoop that poo poo on because I am being paid minimum wage so gently caress it.

*three pieces for a six inch. And always three strips of sauce per sauce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

SLOSifl posted:

Turn around, go back home, and make your own sandwich with these 5 simple tricks:

1) Check out @dickmaggot50's recipe for toilet bread
2) Read through 25 common household meat replacements for some great meat substitues!
3) Take a stroll through your "neighborhood garden" and forage for 17 edible rocks!
4) Make cheese by leaving a half-gallon of whole milk under your deck for 12 weeks!
5) If you are out of mustard or tomatoes, just substitute 4 cups of mayo.

Enjoy your expanded sandwich making future!

I refreshed all of these links a bunch of times trying to get them to load. I want to believe in toilet bread.