Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

BobHoward posted:

I think it's already been said, but you won't learn what you want to learn if you're not going to remove the battery, since it covers the entire trackpad.

Not looking at the trackpad. Works fine.

quote:

What will you actually gain, though? As in, what happens if you open it and you find little or no moisture and a tripped indicator? You let out a goony "Welp", close it up, and move on with life, right? All you can do, since it's working. Same applies if you open it up and find no indicators tripped, except you're going "welp" for wasting time and money just to prove you still have a warranty which you don't know whether you'll ever need.

There's also the (probably low) risk of killing the machine while just checking it out, or stripping a screw. I'd just cut to the "welp" part and skip the other steps. If it develops a problem that needs repairing, that's the right time to start cracking it open (or having somebody else do it for you).

(My advice would be different if you had a good reason to suspect water actually got inside, but it sounds like you don't)

Good lord, really? I'm going to destroy my computer by taking off the back cover?

I get it, with Apple products, that you're better off being battery-agnostic, RAM allocation-agnostic, cellular data-agnostic, cloud storage-agnostic, process activity-agnostic, and open window-agnostic. But warranty-agnostic? That is a bridge too far for me, my friend. I must know. I am complled to seek out the Cthonic truth of the LDIs... even if it drives me to madness. I must gaze upon my logic board and battery. Their otherworldly craftsmanship is no less wondrous than that of the bespoke aluminum case that encapsulates them. They call to me, like Medusa's gaze, or the Sirens' song...

I guess that once I actually see those internals, I might loose all control over my basal ganglia and start eating the battery cells, or smash the logic board into fragments and reshape it into the form of a demonic summoning rune. I'm just going to have to take that chance. And don't worry, I won't blame you if it happens. I'm grateful for your warning.

Sorry. Maybe my warranty anxiety would seem to be just a bit more reasonable if I said that there's been something else concerning me. I'd guess not, but anyway:

Probably 90% of my time on this MBA is spent with one or more Adobe CC application open, and an external USB 3 hard drive plugged into the left port. Of that 90%, a little more than half of it's on AC power and connected to an external display, and the rest is spent on battery and without the second screen.

There's an issue I can reproduce pretty reliably when AC power/external display/USB HD are all connected, and a CC app is open. When the screensaver (I like Arabesque) comes on (both screens), the animation can get pretty choppy. Not only that, but it gets pretty hot, too, on the outer surface above the processor, and the fan runs. Why is the system getting throttled when the screensaver is on? I can wake it up, go back to doing Lightroom import/export, Photoshop batch processing, etc. and everything calms back down and cools off.

It was definitely doing this before I had the water scare. Would anyone guess that it's a hardware problem, based on the information I've given, o does the screensaver really just consume that much power? Is there a hardware testing program I can run to find out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Captain Pike posted:

I just bought a new 13" Retina Macbook pro from MicroCenter in Dallas. Should I get the 'MicroCenter' version of 'AppleCare', or the regular AppleCare?

Get Applecare--as somebody who works in a Mac repair shop, I only ever see sorrow and heartbreak from third party Apple warranties (and this is from somebody who also thinks Micro Center is the bee's knees). Applecare is a really solid warranty.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Not looking at the trackpad. Works fine.

Good lord, really? I'm going to destroy my computer by taking off the back cover?

I get it, with Apple products, that you're better off being battery-agnostic, RAM allocation-agnostic, cellular data-agnostic, cloud storage-agnostic, process activity-agnostic, and open window-agnostic. But warranty-agnostic? That is a bridge too far for me, my friend. I must know. I am complled to seek out the Cthonic truth of the LDIs... even if it drives me to madness. I must gaze upon my logic board and battery. Their otherworldly craftsmanship is no less wondrous than that of the bespoke aluminum case that encapsulates them. They call to me, like Medusa's gaze, or the Sirens' song...

I guess that once I actually see those internals, I might loose all control over my basal ganglia and start eating the battery cells, or smash the logic board into fragments and reshape it into the form of a demonic summoning rune. I'm just going to have to take that chance. And don't worry, I won't blame you if it happens. I'm grateful for your warning.

Sorry. Maybe my warranty anxiety would seem to be just a bit more reasonable if I said that there's been something else concerning me. I'd guess not, but anyway:

Probably 90% of my time on this MBA is spent with one or more Adobe CC application open, and an external USB 3 hard drive plugged into the left port. Of that 90%, a little more than half of it's on AC power and connected to an external display, and the rest is spent on battery and without the second screen.

There's an issue I can reproduce pretty reliably when AC power/external display/USB HD are all connected, and a CC app is open. When the screensaver (I like Arabesque) comes on (both screens), the animation can get pretty choppy. Not only that, but it gets pretty hot, too, on the outer surface above the processor, and the fan runs. Why is the system getting throttled when the screensaver is on? I can wake it up, go back to doing Lightroom import/export, Photoshop batch processing, etc. and everything calms back down and cools off.

It was definitely doing this before I had the water scare. Would anyone guess that it's a hardware problem, based on the information I've given, o does the screensaver really just consume that much power? Is there a hardware testing program I can run to find out?

Seriously? You're not in any position to post something so snarky.

You said that you got a few drops of water near the trackpad and you would like to check for standing liquid and tripped liquid indicators.

We told you that the entire trackpad mechanism and all of the liquid indicators for that area are under the battery.

You said you were not going to move the battery, just open the bottom case to look for liquid and tripped liquid indicators.

We again said that you would indeed need to move the battery to look for standing liquid and liquid indicators, and provided documentation proving this was the case.

If a few drops of liquid went through the trackpad and did damage, there is literally no chance you will see it without removing the battery.

The other stuff is happening because you're trying to drive an external display, an external HDD, and an incredibly resource hungry application on a MacBook Air. MacBook Airs are not intended for that kind of work load, even the brand new ones released a month ago.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009
Jesus, the guy just asked where to get a screwdriver. He didn't ask about the political and moral ramifications of his actions. If he wants to take it apart and check things he's entitled to, including removing the battery (which isn't so bad on the Air as long as you're ultra-careful). If he wants to take things apart and stab haphazardly at the battery cells, then he's also well within his rights to do that, and I feel like he's been sufficiently warned that it wouldn't end well if he did.

For actual content, I find that the 54-bit driver kit from iFixit works quite well for hobbyist/home or even occasional pro use. I use the expensive orange Apple driver in the shop, but when I'm at a client site or at home I just use the iFixit kit. It might not last forever because it's not as robust as what Apple sells to AASPs, but it's $25 for the whole lot (or you can buy the individual bits for a few bucks) so I'm not worried.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Kingnothing posted:

Seriously? You're not in any position to post something so snarky.

Whatever. I got snark right off the bat from you people just for asking the question. Of course, I'm out of line now for following suit.

quote:

You said that you got a few drops of water near the trackpad and you would like to check for standing liquid and tripped liquid indicators.

We told you that the entire trackpad mechanism and all of the liquid indicators for that area are under the battery.

You said you were not going to move the battery, just open the bottom case to look for liquid and tripped liquid indicators.

We again said that you would indeed need to move the battery to look for standing liquid and liquid indicators, and provided documentation proving this was the case.

If a few drops of liquid went through the trackpad and did damage, there is literally no chance you will see it without removing the battery.

Show me, please, where anyone in this thread explains that the liquid contact indicators that I am trying to view are underneath the trackpad. That was never communicated in any of the posts responding to the question. And even if it had been, those aren't the indicators I'm trying to view. Which maybe it my fault for using the keyword 'trackpad' in my post, but I've gone to lengths trying to elucidate the kind people who have taken it on themselves to give me some advice that I feel pretty confidant that there's no water damage on my trackpad, and ergo, no need to check the LCI underneath the battery.

All I want to do is take the back off of my computer. Maybe I want to check out the 8+ LCI's that are immediately visible when the back is removed, but I'm not going any farther. That's it. Everyone who tells me it's a stupid waste of time, that's cool. That's good advice. I still want to do it.

Have I communicated this now, with such minimal snark that you are able to understand? I don't know why I even bother...

Oh yeah:

quote:

The other stuff is happening because you're trying to drive an external display, an external HDD, and an incredibly resource hungry application on a MacBook Air. MacBook Airs are not intended for that kind of work load, even the brand new ones released a month ago.

Jesus Christ.

Everyone else in this thread who has responded trying to help me, thanks. I hope my snark didn't offend you as much as it offended this poster (even though it wasn't directed at them).

freezepops
Aug 21, 2007
witty title not included
Fun Shoe

SMERSH Mouth posted:

It just sounds like the screensaver really does consume that much of the processor's time when used on the bigger screen. To make sure its not a hardware issue you can run the Apple Hardware Test, after some quick googling it seems to test pretty much every component in the computer and should give you an idea if something got messed up.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

SMERSH Mouth posted:

All I want to do is take the back off of my computer. Maybe I want to check out the 8+ LCI's that are immediately visible when the back is removed, but I'm not going any farther. That's it. Everyone who tells me it's a stupid waste of time, that's cool. That's good advice. I still want to do it.

Seriously not much snark intended on my part, apologies for coming across rude. It just seems weird since there's enough information to know you're not going to see anything exciting without removing the battery. If you had gotten enough liquid in to trip the LCIs you'll be able to see, you'd have been asking about non warranty repair options instead of screwdrivers.

I don't think you're going to break anything, that was more trying to put the very mild risk up against the practically nonexistent reward and see whether it made sense.

quote:

Jesus Christ.

:agreed: especially since if I understand it your issue was with screensavers and you have no problems when actually using the "pro" apps. Many of which run comfortably well on desktops less powerful than a modern Air.

Personally I just set things up so the display sleeps before going to screensaver, since they're more like battery wasters if you ask me.

Hardflip
Jul 21, 2007

What's the usual lifetime for OS support on the Mac Pro? Come the next refresh I'm considering getting one, although I wouldn't be doing that much video with it, and 3D isn't in my plans at the moment.

I don't want another iMac because I have a large monitor already, and I don't view the Mac Minis as particular powerful. Would love it if they did a middle ground between Mac Mini and Pro, mind.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

BobHoward posted:

Personally I just set things up so the display sleeps before going to screensaver, since they're more like battery wasters if you ask me.

Yeah screen savers are pretty pointless in the age of LCDs and auto-sleep displays.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

SMERSH Mouth posted:

I remember either having Activity Monitor open or SSHing in and checking activity during the screensaver cause iirc I noticed extra fan noise accompanied it after a bit on my Mac mini, and yeah Arabesque seemed to suck up a fair bit of CPU (and GPU?).

Hardflip posted:

What's the usual lifetime for OS support on the Mac Pro? Come the next refresh I'm considering getting one, although I wouldn't be doing that much video with it, and 3D isn't in my plans at the moment.

I don't want another iMac because I have a large monitor already, and I don't view the Mac Minis as particular powerful. Would love it if they did a middle ground between Mac Mini and Pro, mind.
Seems like a long time but it could be cause the old one was upgradable and/or things have been kind of stagnant/stable. I figure the main things to watch out for are potential technical cutoff points, like 32 to 64 bit, or the older crappier Intel IGPs to something else (the 9400M way back), but there's not really any obvious ones coming up.

As for the Mac minis, they could be decent again with an Iris Pro if that "mid 2014" rumor pans out. Ideally it'd be a full redesign that could take more than just the usual notebook CPU of course.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
The one thing I'd be worried about with buying a Mac Pro is future HiDPI monitor support, since I don't think Displayport 1.3 can be added via firmware upgrade. It seems likely that a version introduced late this year would have it, but I'm not sure.

Hardflip
Jul 21, 2007

japtor posted:

As for the Mac minis, they could be decent again with an Iris Pro if that "mid 2014" rumor pans out. Ideally it'd be a full redesign that could take more than just the usual notebook CPU of course.

I'd probably buy a Mac tower of any kind with the innards of an iMac, that's all I've needed in the past. I just don't need two 27" on my desk, not enough space.

wdarkk posted:

The one thing I'd be worried about with buying a Mac Pro is future HiDPI monitor support, since I don't think Displayport 1.3 can be added via firmware upgrade. It seems likely that a version introduced late this year would have it, but I'm not sure.

That's one of the main reasons I haven't wanted to go with the current one. I know it can push 4k, but after using a Retina MBP I really want to make sure the next one I get can run HiDPI.

Also the base Mac Pro coming with only 256GB is a bit of a joke.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer
The 4k stuff should still work in the future but with only 30hz or so, which is pretty usable for pretty much everything besides gaming or high frame rate video.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

DaNzA posted:

The 4k stuff should still work in the future but with only 30hz or so, which is pretty usable for pretty much everything besides gaming or high frame rate video.
DisplayPort 1.2 (which is what Thunderbolt 2 uses) supports 4k at 60Hz in any event. It just doesn't support anything higher than that (such as a pixel-doubled iMac/Thunderbolt Display).

Mercurius fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Aug 24, 2014

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

It's been a while since I ordered from Apple directly. Anyone know how long it takes between your checkout and when you get a "receipt" in your inbox? This was actually an Educational discount thing so I don't know if it's taking longer because they have to verify some Educational status. We bought it with the understanding that my dad's "faculty" stating at an accredited university will fulfill any educational requirement so I guess maybe there's some validation going on there?

Ordered approx two hours ago, either way I'd have expected an email by now.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Martytoof posted:

It's been a while since I ordered from Apple directly. Anyone know how long it takes between your checkout and when you get a "receipt" in your inbox? This was actually an Educational discount thing so I don't know if it's taking longer because they have to verify some Educational status. We bought it with the understanding that my dad's "faculty" stating at an accredited university will fulfill any educational requirement so I guess maybe there's some validation going on there?

Ordered approx two hours ago, either way I'd have expected an email by now.
They normally send receipts when they ship the item here in Australia.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

So no "thanks for your order, here's a summary, we'll notify you when we ship" kind of thing immediately following the order?

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice

Martytoof posted:

So no "thanks for your order, here's a summary, we'll notify you when we ship" kind of thing immediately following the order?

I've ordered several things this past year. I've always got an almost instant "Thanks for the order, here's the summary" email. That said, you can check your order status online and verify the info you provided. If the order doesn't show online, call them.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

spoon daddy posted:

I've ordered several things this past year. I've always got an almost instant "Thanks for the order, here's the summary" email. That said, you can check your order status online and verify the info you provided. If the order doesn't show online, call them.

Yeah, it shows online so I'm not worried, just wondering where that email could have gone. Nothing in my spam. Oh well, no big deal :)

edit: Okay, email just arrived. Panic for nothing :q:

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Aug 24, 2014

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Can the non-unibody MBPs internal BT be upgraded to BT 4.0 for continuity stuff?

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Pro+15-Inch+Core+2+Duo+Models+A1226+and+A1260+Bluetooth+Board+Replacement/666

It seems to a custom part. Not sure if any other macbooks have physically compatible BT 4.0 parts.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs
I am considering getting an iMac (refurb or new) for my office. I don't need a ton of graphics power since I theoretically shouldn't be playing video games on it, but I want a 27" display.

I get disclosure videos fairly frequently from the Crown which require Windows to play them. Currently I have Windows 7 + Fusion on my 2010 MBP, and I might just keep it for watching videos, but I might eventually install windows on the iMac (if I get it).

The few models I've been looking at on the refurb page are:

quote:

Refurbished 27-inch iMac 3.2GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 - $1,569.00

Originally released September 2013
27-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit display with IPS technology; 2560-by-1440 resolution
8GB memory
1TB hard drive
NVIDIA GeForce GT 755M graphics processor with 1GB of GDDR5 memory
Built-in FaceTime HD camera

quote:

Refurbished 27-inch iMac 3.4GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 - $1,739.00

27-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit display with IPS technology; 2560-by-1440 resolution
8GB memory
1TB hard drive
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 775M graphics processor with 2GB of GDDR5 memory

quote:

Refurbished 27-inch iMac 3.4GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 - $2,039.00

16GB memory
3TB hard drive
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 775M graphics processor with 2GB of GDDR5 memory

quote:

Refurbished 27-inch iMac 3.5GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 - $2,339.00

8GB memory
3TB Fusion drive
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M graphics processor with 4GB of GDDR5 memory

I've noticed on my 2010 MBP with 8 GB of ram that activitymonitor is reporting a decent amount of the disk drive being used beyond the system ram (Fusion + Windows 7 running all the time). I've never had an iMac but I'm thinking that it shouldn't be much of an issue upgrading the ram on one of the 8gb options. I'm a little tempted to go for the i7 because if I ever don't need it at the office I can bring it home, it'll be a business write off, and I can play games on it... The sweet spot seems to be the second refurb option though.

Timing wise is there something new expected to be coming out for the iMac in the 27" size soon, or is the refresh likely coming out next year with the new intel chips?

Zarkov Cortez fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Aug 24, 2014

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Broadwell is definitely next year. I have read February in some places. Absolutely recommend solid state in some form, whether it be in a fusion drive or something else. If you need an iMac, then get one. Otherwise, wait until you do need one. Hope this helps.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Shaocaholica posted:

Can the non-unibody MBPs internal BT be upgraded to BT 4.0 for continuity stuff?

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Pro+15-Inch+Core+2+Duo+Models+A1226+and+A1260+Bluetooth+Board+Replacement/666

It seems to a custom part. Not sure if any other macbooks have physically compatible BT 4.0 parts.

You can get a 4.0 dongle from Amazon for around 10 bucks, but it probably won't work. I have upgraded the airport/bluetooth combo card in my late 2011 MBP to a 4.0 card from a 2012, and the phone call/texting stuff works, but handoff doesn't work at all. It works perfectly on my 2012 MBA, so I think that not only do you have to have the correct hardware, but you have to have a qualifying machine. Just my observation, so I may be wrong.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Hardflip posted:

Well, Yosemite when it comes out this fall will support Mac Pros back to early 2008, so 6-7 years currently, maybe longer? You might not get all the new features of new OSes (things like Airdrop and using Airplay as a second monitor are things in the recent past that have required newer hardware) but they're a lot better about supporting desktops for a while than iOS, at least now that we're past the 64-bit hardware divide.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

fordan posted:

...past the 64-bit hardware divide.

Except they dropped support for the 1st gen Mac Pros even though they were totally 64bit capable. But otherwise I'm glad we're past that point.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs

fleshweasel posted:

Broadwell is definitely next year. I have read February in some places. Absolutely recommend solid state in some form, whether it be in a fusion drive or something else. If you need an iMac, then get one. Otherwise, wait until you do need one. Hope this helps.

I don't know why I didn't focus more on that since every other computer I have has a SSD (probably take the performance increase for granted). I just looked into the process for changing a hdd, while I probably could do it myself I don't think I'd really want to.

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

I typed random avatar and this happened.
Got myself an 2013 rMBP with 8gb of ram and 256 GB ssd, guy took my mint 2011 15' inch and $200 us. This thing is amazing!

PS. Has 2 and half years of applecare too! Pretty good deal I'd say. Retina display ruined all other computers for me.

mulligan fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Aug 24, 2014

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Where can I get replacement foot pads for a macbook air 13" mid 2011? I don't want to waste money on pads that don't fit.

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

KidDynamite posted:

Where can I get replacement foot pads for a macbook air 13" mid 2011? I don't want to waste money on pads that don't fit.

Try ebay? Unless I'm mistaken, the footpads have been the same design since the unibody was introduced in 2008.

My PIN is 4826 fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Aug 25, 2014

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

With my new rMBP purchase, I have up to one year from date of purchase to buy the full Applecare plan, right? I think that's how it worked last time I bought my G4 laptop, not sure if that's changed now.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Martytoof posted:

With my new rMBP purchase, I have up to one year from date of purchase to buy the full Applecare plan, right? I think that's how it worked last time I bought my G4 laptop, not sure if that's changed now.

Correct, you still have one year from purchase date to buy AppleCare which extends the one year by another two years.

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao

KidDynamite posted:

I am pretty sure a Genius Bar appointment at an apple store will take care of that for free usually. Call ahead to confirm though.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

eriddy posted:

I am pretty sure a Genius Bar appointment at an apple store will take care of that for free usually. Call ahead to confirm though.

We charge 5 bucks a foot or $10 flat for more than 2. We're independent though, and have to pay for the kits out of pocket to keep on hand. Still, usually if the machine is in for another issue that the customer approves us to fix, I'll install them for free.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

KidDynamite posted:

MacBook airs (at least the recent ones, not sure about 2011) do not have feet as separate parts. They require an entire bottom case. Feet and bottom cases at apple retail are always at a cost, even with AppleCare, as those parts physically can not fail without damage.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Kingnothing posted:

MacBook airs (at least the recent ones, not sure about 2011) do not have feet as separate parts. They require an entire bottom case. Feet and bottom cases at apple retail are always at a cost, even with AppleCare, as those parts physically can not fail without damage.

And the cost is basically $100 for a bottom case all the way around.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So is it $5 or $100 to replace broken feet ._.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

fleshweasel posted:

So is it $5 or $100 to replace broken feet ._.

Is it an air? $100. Is it not an air? Less than $100.

E: I'm honestly not sure about the retina MBP's. I have a feeling it's the same as the airs and it's a whole bottom case replacement.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

empty baggie posted:

Is it an air? $100. Is it not an air? Less than $100.

E: I'm honestly not sure about the retina MBP's. I have a feeling it's the same as the airs and it's a whole bottom case replacement.

Yes, rMBP is also an entire bottom case.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

mulligan posted:

Got myself an 2013 rMBP with 8gb of ram and 256 GB ssd, guy took my mint 2011 15' inch and $200 us. This thing is amazing!

PS. Has 2 and half years of applecare too! Pretty good deal I'd say. Retina display ruined all other computers for me.

Very nice! This is the model I've been eying on the refurb store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Kingnothing posted:

Yes, rMBP is also an entire bottom case.

Out of idle curiosity, since the bottom case is where the factory prints (laser etches?) the serial number, do you have a S/N on the case after replacement and is it different from the original S/N?