Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
Lets talk about a relatively unknown piece of Star Wars.

Back in 1981 NPR decided to produce a radio miniseries based on A New Hope. LucasFilm was kind enough to give them access to the films sound effects and John Williams music along with Mark Hamil and Anthony Daniels. The dialogue not directly taken from the film was written by Brian Daley (who's best known for writing the endearingly fun Han Solo books)

The cast for the most part does a good job st voicing their characters while not adhering strictly to the film portrayals. For example Ann Sachs who voices Leia has a much younger voice then Carrie Fisher. Brock Peters, the voice of Darth Vader, sadly is in the shadow of James Earl Jones the whole time but the changes in dialogue make up for it.

quote:

"So, she must have hidden the plans in that pod. I want the pod located and the plans retrieved. See to it personally Commander. I want them found, even it means tearing apart, bit by bit, this miserable speck of a planet... this Tatooine!"

Besides somewhat different dialogue the broadcast adds several new subplots/scenes.

1. Luke having a race against his friends in his Skyhopper.

2. Leia raises the suspicion of the scummy Imperial office Lord Tion who seeks to marry her. Stuff happens.

3. Admiral Motti urges Grand Moff Tarkin to overthrow the Emperor and take power for himself.

The latter adaptations of The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi feature John Lithgow as Yoda and Edward Asner as Jabba The Hutt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Ecliptic
May 23, 2003

Jesus Saves! - And Takes Half Damage!!
I've listened to the radio dramas so many times, I still hear Perry King's voice in my head when I think of Han Solo.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Nckdictator posted:

2. Leia raises the suspicion of the scummy Imperial office Lord Tion who seeks to marry her. Stuff happens.

If I remember correctly, this particular subplot was adapted by Dark Horse for one of the Empire comics; was pleasantly surprised to see that stuff in a visual form.

Looking back, there was a lot of material from the dramas that were retroactively incorporated into the EU, like the after mentioned bit of Tarkin possibly betraying the Emperor, but also scenes like the very first one in the ESB audio where Renegade Flight gets blown the hell up (by Fel's 181st, as we later find out in the RS comics). It's also quite possibly my favorite scene in the radio dramas. :allears:

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

As I recall the ANH adaptation also referenced some stuff from the Han Solo books, and Daley also included Mara Jade in the Jabba palace scenes in ROTJ.

Ed Asner also did one of the Jedi Masters in the KOTOR games.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Daley was also co-wrote the novel adaptations of Robotech with James Luceno, who subsequently wrote a lot of Star Wars stuff. In fact, Daley was writing the radio adaptations when they were hiking together in the Himalayas and Luceno apparently had a decent amount of input.

Seriously, Luceno's Wookieepedia page is a fun read.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
It's been a couple years since I've listened to it but I think the radio drama is also the thing that established that even in Star Wars, there's no sound in space, and the sound of blasters and stuff the pilots hear are audio recreations of sensor data inside the cockpit.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Flagrant Abuse posted:

It's been a couple years since I've listened to it but I think the radio drama is also the thing that established that even in Star Wars, there's no sound in space, and the sound of blasters and stuff the pilots hear are audio recreations of sensor data inside the cockpit.

That's such a ridiculous cop-out way to address it...but I love it for how earnest and 70s sci-fi it is.

Rand Ecliptic
May 23, 2003

Jesus Saves! - And Takes Half Damage!!
I went back and listened to that part. It was when Han and Luke were manning the turrets on the Falcon. Han says, "Your sensors will give you an audio simulation for a rough idea where those fighters are when they're not on your screen. It'll sound like they're right there in the turret with you."

This was after Luke lied to Han about having his targeting computer turned on. :smuggo:

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

What should I read to experience more Exar Kun and Ulic QelDroma? I've always loved KotOR 1/2 as well as the KotOR comic, where should I go from here?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
They're mainly featured in the Tales of the Jedi series published by Dark Horse in the 1990s. They're sort of tied into Dark Empire and the Jedi Academy trilogy - KJA wrote a lot of the series, either on his own or in collaboration with Tom Veitch.

The entire series is available as two (?) Dark Horse omnibus editions; it was comprehensively collected in trade paperback but I believe much of the series is out of print in that format.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Metal Loaf posted:

They're mainly featured in the Tales of the Jedi series published by Dark Horse in the 1990s. They're sort of tied into Dark Empire and the Jedi Academy trilogy - KJA wrote a lot of the series, either on his own or in collaboration with Tom Veitch.

The entire series is available as two (?) Dark Horse omnibus editions; it was comprehensively collected in trade paperback but I believe much of the series is out of print in that format.

There are also audio dramas!

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I tracked down the audio drama for a new hope. I enjoyed it overall and I thought most of the additional scenes helped define the characters. There was a leia mental torture scene that was pretty :psyduck:.

Going to work my way through the empire strikes back and return of the jedi later this week.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

mariooncrack posted:

I tracked down the audio drama for a new hope. I enjoyed it overall and I thought most of the additional scenes helped define the characters. There was a leia mental torture scene that was pretty :psyduck:.

I love that scene because as I remember, it has Vader trying to trick Leia into thinking that he's her "father", which is pretty funny given how things turned out...

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Whatever happened to the putative live-action TV series? I remember circa 2006 Wookieepedia seemed to have an update about it almost every week, usually about how it was going to have 100 episodes and Boba Fett was going to be the main character. I imagine Disney will get there eventually, once the new films are suitably well-entrenched, but was it ever a serious going concern?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The scripts at least for it were definitely written. I remember reading an interview with Ronald D. Moore not too long ago where he confirmed he had been one of the writers for it, and that Lucas himself was involved in plotting out the series. I know Dave Filoni has said that the later seasons of the Clone Wars cartoon contained references to stuff that would have been in the live-action show.

I'm assuming the budget for what Lucas probably wanted to have in the show just kept spiraling out of control and that's why it never saw the light of day. That, and/or the fact that Lucas kept drastically intervening the way he would in late-era LucasArts games and basically sabotaging them by forcing complete shifts in direction.

I did remember Bob Iger saying something about someday doing a Star Wars TV show on ABC, relating to the movies like how Agents of Shield does for the Marvel movies. But hopefully better than Agents of Shield.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

I'd imagine that, in some fashion, Rebels will utilize those scripts as well, seeing as the show takes place within the same post-ROTS, pre-ANH time period as the live-action series apparently did.

motherbox
Jul 19, 2013

Metal Loaf posted:

I imagine Disney will get there eventually, once the new films are suitably well-entrenched, but was it ever a serious going concern?

After Agents of SHIELD it would not surprise me if they'd think twice about that. I just can't imagine the budget to support a decent live-action Star Wars show would be sustainable, so hopefully Rebels scratches that itch.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Chairman Capone posted:

Lucas kept drastically intervening the way he would in late-era LucasArts games and basically sabotaging them by forcing complete shifts in direction.

I would love to hear more about this if you have a story or link or two.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

omg chael crash posted:

I would love to hear more about this if you have a story or link or two.

Here's a must read.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2014/02/12/fall-of-the-empire-how-inner-turmoil-brought-down-a-legendary-studio.aspx

quote:

A similar situation arose with Star Wars: The Force Unleashed’s protagonist, Starkiller. “[That name] was only supposed to be a nickname or call sign, not a proper name from the beginning,” a former LucasArts employee says. The development team hoped that Lucas would give Vader’s apprentice a Darth moniker, which at the time, was something that didn’t happen often.

“The team threw a Hail Mary to George, saying the game would have more credibility if the apprentice had a ‘Darth’ title,” a Force Unleashed team member says. Lucas agreed that this situation made sense for Sith royalty, and offered up two Darth titles for the team to choose from. “He threw out ‘Darth Icky’ and ‘Darth Insanius.’

quote:

LucasArts’ push for more internally developed Star Wars titles left behind a tantalizing trail of unreleased projects. Star Wars: Imperial Commando, a sequel to Republic Commando, would have put the player in control of an Imperial assault team, but never made it out of the conceptual phase of development. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic III was almost greenlit, but none of the people I talked to involved in the project knew why it was canceled. “Most of the conceptual and story groundwork for the title was there,” a LucasArts employee says. Star Wars: Jedi Knight III – Brink of Darkness and Jedi Master were two different directions LucasArts hoped to take its Jedi Knight series, but neither made it to proper development. Other scrapped Star Wars titles included Smuggler, a linear action game that focused on a Han Solo-like character; Rebel Warrior, a violent action game with a Wookiee protagonist fighting the Empire; a title that put players into the role of Darth Maul called Star Wars: Darth Maul; an internally developed Star Wars MMORPG codenamed Proteus; a Call of Duty-like shooter named Star Wars: First Assault; and most surprisingly, Star Wars: Episode VII – Shadows of the Sith, which was believed to be a spin-off to the upcoming motion picture now helmed by J. J. Abrams.

All I wanted was another Jedi Knight game :(

Nckdictator fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Sep 1, 2014

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012
Imperial commando would have been the bomb. Avenge sev. I really liked republic commando. Still my fav fps. I really liked how the squad commands worked.

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Metal Loaf posted:

Whatever happened to the putative live-action TV series? I remember circa 2006 Wookieepedia seemed to have an update about it almost every week, usually about how it was going to have 100 episodes and Boba Fett was going to be the main character. I imagine Disney will get there eventually, once the new films are suitably well-entrenched, but was it ever a serious going concern?
I doubt Disney will make it, at least not in epic scale Lucas was planning (commercial suicide)

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
I want Imperial Commando so badly. Start with Order 66, watch your mission objective change to "execute traitorous Jedi dogs" and just go from there. Have one campaign arc be hunting down the fleeing Rebels after Yavin IV, concluding with the assault on Hoth, where you try to capture some Rebel leaders before they can escape. Have the last arc be a brutal survival scenario against murderous ewoks on Endor, trying to secure an escape to Imperial-controlled space, etc.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

I was hoping for an RTS game where you only look at paintings and calmly convey orders.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

And for MP you have to look through your opponents Facebook.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

mallamp posted:

I doubt Disney will make it, at least not in epic scale Lucas was planning (commercial suicide)

They should just hire the people who made the live-action cut-scenes from Dark Forces II.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I really wanted another Jedi Knight game, those games where awesome.

Preechr posted:

I want Imperial Commando so badly. Start with Order 66, watch your mission objective change to "execute traitorous Jedi dogs" and just go from there. Have one campaign arc be hunting down the fleeing Rebels after Yavin IV, concluding with the assault on Hoth, where you try to capture some Rebel leaders before they can escape. Have the last arc be a brutal survival scenario against murderous ewoks on Endor, trying to secure an escape to Imperial-controlled space, etc.

You just described the second act of Battlefront 2's campaign mode.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
That ended for me on Yavin because that horrible horrible AI couldn't stop killing itself more than the Rebel Alliance.

Looking forward to the new Battlefront, hope it feels more like that Galactic Conquest mod for BF1942.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Metal Loaf posted:

They should just hire the people who made the live-action cut-scenes from Dark Forces II.

Yes please

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmD-HlPAVTw

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
They're dead cheesy but loads of fun to watch.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

SeanBeansShako posted:

That ended for me on Yavin because that horrible horrible AI couldn't stop killing itself more than the Rebel Alliance.

Looking forward to the new Battlefront, hope it feels more like that Galactic Conquest mod for BF1942.

I made it through to the end of the campaign, but it was pretty dicey for awhile, especially on that fuckin' Tantive IV mission. The movie promised me a cakewalk! But the movie lied.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

jng2058 posted:

I made it through to the end of the campaign, but it was pretty dicey for awhile, especially on that fuckin' Tantive IV mission. The movie promised me a cakewalk! But the movie lied.

In the movie we didn't see 30 Scout Troopers going crazy with those Thermal Detonator grenades. Loved that map though, shame like with all interior maps the scale was a bit off and cramped.

motherbox
Jul 19, 2013

The fact that not one but TWO Jedi Knight 3 games were proposed and then never manifested is Lucas' greatest crime.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

That article raves about the Bioware deal(which was great, for a time) but it ended up bringing is TOR and that's not what we wanted.

Shrug.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Rebel Jedi and Jedi Rebel?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-07-29-20-cancelled-star-wars-games-revealed

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I see it was not a creative era for LA towards the end.

Still, that Han Solo game could have been good :smith:.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

This seems like a good time for my annual whine that all I want is a new game in the X-Wing series. Hell, if they were to just re-make TIE Fighter exactly, but with a modern graphics engine and for today's hardware and OSes, they'd make my year. Bonus points for keeping the dynamic soundtrack concept but bringing it out of the stone age of MIDI. Add in some basic cooperative/competitive multiplayer and I'll be in heaven.

All the other Star Wars flight sims just feel so drat thin without managing your own engine/weapon/shield balance. :(

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

...the cancelled an Episode VII game? Before Episode VII was announced? What?

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

thrawn527 posted:

...the cancelled an Episode VII game? Before Episode VII was announced? What?

I'm not sure either. This blog lays out a few ideas.

http://thestarwarsdefender.blogspot.com/2013/08/shadows-of-what.html

quote:

The folks over at EGM Now.com gave us their theory of the existence behind that very disturbing video game title:

''The book contains logos for 20 Star Wars titles that were in development at the studio, including a tie-in for Episode VII subtitled Shadows of the Sith–I’d guess the original plan was to continue the franchise via games before Disney bought the rights.''

I'm not buying this. It would be completely moronic to continue the Episodic franchise in a series of video games rather than do them in film. I am 99.99999% certain that George Lucas himself would have never, ever gone this way. Besides, all evidence points out that George Lucas only gave the go-ahead to do Episode VII, after he discussed with Bob Iger the idea of selling his company, meaning it happened AFTER May of 2011. So indeed, this discovery is very strange and in some ways, it could lead to a dark thought.

What surprises me the most is not that this list was published 5 years ago and nobody has been talking about it, but that now that it's been released, nobody close to Lucasfilm is asking for confirmation, of whether or not it is the title of Episode VII.

The only reasonable explanation really is to think that this, along with the other cancelled games from Lucas Arts, were all a bunch of brainstorming ideas for what potentially became The Force Unleashed. And at least, that is what the Darth Maul, Han Solo and Vader games are.

So it wouldn't be unreasonable to think that the Episode VII game was some sequel to Shadows of the Empire talking place after Jedi, and some dude in Lucas Arts gave it the pretentious title of ''Episode VII'' before GL smashed the project, or someone smashed it, and they went off with The Force Unleashed. It makes absolutely no sense for Lucas Arts to be working on a video game 4 YEARS before the film was even getting created in story treatments and scripts. As far as I'm aware of, that's not how things work in the film industry.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
I want Star Wars: Dark Forces V: Jedi Knight IV: Jedi Outcast III: Jedi Academy II: Jedi Master so loving badly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
Anyone remember the "Knights of the Force" 'mod' for Jedi Academy?

I remember it was such a big deal at the time of it's development; a Turkish guy claimed to be faithfully recreating most movie action scenes to be playable in the JA engine.

It was revealed to be a scam after he offered to sell copies for $100 and was taken down from most JA mod sites. Man ,that games multiplayer community had a lot of drama and I loved every minute of it.