Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Lurdiak posted:

:toot: Eat poo poo, Ninja Turtles.

If people are wondering why the TMNT film ended up the way it did I made some long-rear end posts in Cinema Discusso about the horrible problems that dogged the production, the reason some of the scenes felt totally out of place and even why the TMNT franchise must be considered career poison in Hollywood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I think it sucked because it was basically a reskinned transformers movie and had a bad script but what do I know.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

achillesforever6 posted:

I don't know, Ant-man is probably not going to make money with the way its development is going.

I don't think so. I think Marvel has proven their movie formula works for producing at the very least, a decent super hero movie that will turn a profit.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Away all Goats posted:

I don't think so. I think Marvel has proven their movie formula works for producing at the very least, a decent super hero movie that will turn a profit.

The average moviegoer also doesn't care that Edgar Wright left the project either.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
A Rudd Ant-man scripted by McKay is way higher on my list than Edgar Wright anyway. And probably everyone else in my demographic too. What do people like more, Old School/Anchorman or Shaun of the Dead?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I love both equally for different reasons, though Shaun I would say is a better film.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Chickenwalker posted:

A Rudd Ant-man scripted by McKay is way higher on my list than Edgar Wright anyway. And probably everyone else in my demographic too. What do people like more, Old School/Anchorman or Shaun of the Dead?

It's worth noting that Wright has made decent movies, y'know, recently.

He's apparently box office poison, though. So there's that.

Also who in their right mind thinks Old School is better than Shaun of the Dead or Hot Fuzz?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Shaun easily. I don't like the style of humor in the Anchorman films (but for some reason I really like Talledega Nights...)

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Chickenwalker posted:

What do people like more, Old School/Anchorman or Shaun of the Dead?

Is that a rhetorical question?

Shaun of the Dead is a love letter to all zombie movies done in the style of the old 80's parodies.
Anchorman is Will Ferral doing the same poo poo he does every movie that isn't the Lego Movie or Stranger then Fiction.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Hot Fuzz is the best. It does everything right.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Anchorman and its ilk were funny in a way that doesn't hold up astoundingly well, because they rely on funny people standing still in generally static shots whilst ad-libbing completely interchangeable lines. Its humor is tied directly to its quotability, and thus it has an indelible expiration date. Once you're sick of people dropping quotes from Anchorman, you're also sick of the movie.

Edgar Wright movies are drat near perfectly scripted and filmed wholes that combine good jokes with funny people, excellent scene setup/camera work, and numerous layers of comedy, insight, reference, self-reference, homage, parody, and love of the genre or source material that the film is working in.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

They also make like no money because I can buy them only so many times :smith:

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?
I was really psyched about Edgar Wright’s Ant Man until I finished watching The World’s End.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
World's end suffered from there not being any good end of the world via Robot or Alien invasion movies lately, so no one really remembers the caveats for that Genre. Cop and Zombie films are/were getting to be a dime a dozen at the time Shaun and hot Fuzz came out so the jokes and parodies were more relevant. It kind of feels like World's End had been a different Genre, it might have been a better movie.

Also, they were just better movies.

Commissar Of Doom
Apr 21, 2009
World's End is a drat fun drinking movie.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Chickenwalker posted:

I don't like either, can you grok that?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Anora posted:

Is that a rhetorical question?

Shaun of the Dead is a love letter to all zombie movies done in the style of the old 80's parodies.
Anchorman is Will Ferral doing the same poo poo he does every movie that isn't the Lego Movie or Stranger then Fiction.

Everything Must Go

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Good look at A2 Hawkeye.

Also the newest Dr. Strange casting rumor is Jack Huston.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Boy that coat is a bunch of nonsense

zoux posted:

Also the newest Dr. Strange casting rumor is Jack Huston.

Fffffffffffuck that's good

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Never heard of him.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

greatn posted:

Never heard of him.

Me neither, but googling his name brings up several pictures of him with a pencil mustache, so he is alright in my book.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

You guys need to watch Boardwalk Empire. He kicks rear end on it

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hnSr8Z3NKE

Yeah he's unreal on Boardwalk.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

greatn posted:

Never heard of him.

On Boardwalk Empire he plays a PTSD-ravaged sniper who lost half his face in WW1 and became the shows's most sympathetic character despite being an outwardly emotionless assassin. He's incredible in that role and I hadn't considered him as Strange, but now I can't imagine anyone else.

Edited to remove ambiguity.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Aug 26, 2014

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
'Was'? I'm only on season 3, don't tell me anything happened to Richard :ohdear:

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Grendels Dad posted:

'Was'? I'm only on season 3, don't tell me anything happened to Richard :ohdear:

Well, the show is ending and they're done shooting, so his schedule is free.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Aw, I didn't know the show was done. Bummer.

But yay, Huston really is fantastic and I'd love seeing him as Strange.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Holy poo poo Whedon just tweeted the Phase 3 titles!

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

Let's hope he's not involved in their writing like he was in their terrible titles.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Diabetic posted:

Let's hope he's not involved in their writing like he was in their terrible titles.

Yeah they're terrible I just wanted post a troll link.

Not a troll link: Look like all the whining about "why isn't Hawkeye helping out in Cap 2 :qq:" hasn't fallen on deaf ears. Look forward to the new bitching about why didn't Peter Quill fly down in his spaceship to help Cap beat Baron Zemo or whoever the bad guy in Cap 3 is.

Also, the Russo Bros. have just GOT to be loving with us with this.

quote:

But still, I had them on the phone this afternoon, and asked them which Avengers they would like to have at their disposal for a Black Widow-sized role.

"That’s such a hard question because we’ve kind of already done that," Joe Russo told me, saying they already built characters into their screenplay. "Do they have to be under contract with Marvel? Maybe they are at another studio."

zoux fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Aug 26, 2014

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

zoux posted:

Not a troll link: Look like all the whining about "why isn't Hawkeye helping out in Cap 2 :qq:" hasn't fallen on deaf ears. Look forward to the new bitching about why didn't Peter Quill fly down in his spaceship to help Cap beat Baron Zemo or whoever the bad guy in Cap 3 is.

I hope Cap 3 ends up being either about his rivalry with Zemo or throw it balls to the wall and get Kang the Conqueror for time travel shenanigans.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That seems unfair to Cap, why does he have to drag Hawkeye around?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Aphrodite posted:

That seems unfair to Cap, why does he have to drag Hawkeye around?

Cap kind of sucks at boats.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

zoux posted:

I am still holding out for the Hawkeye on the couch, with a huge container of ice cream, marathoning some stupid tv show, with ton of missed calls from Natasha. To bad they don't seem to do the shorts anymore.

and while I generally agree that complaining about the other Avengers not showing up in any solo movie is pretty dumb, the Hawkeye complained is pretty valid, since Black Widow does show up.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Jeremy Renner commands Jeremy Renner dollars and they aren't going to pay him millions so nerds don't go "Hey where's Hawkeye".

Apparently he was in early drafts of the script and they couldn't find enough poo poo for him to do to justify paying for him.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I generally don't like "How come X isn't in the movie" but I think Hawkeye and Cap 2 is a logical question since it is a SHIELD focused movie and Hawkeye is a SHIELD agent. I don't think it should be held against the movie but it is a logical question to think of.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Gavok posted:

Cap kind of sucks at boats.

But so does Hawkguy!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

notthegoatseguy posted:

I generally don't like "How come X isn't in the movie" but I think Hawkeye and Cap 2 is a logical question since it is a SHIELD focused movie and Hawkeye is a SHIELD agent. I don't think it should be held against the movie but it is a logical question to think of.

I'd bet a fair amount that Whedon's gonna have some throwaway line in A2 where Hawkeye says what he was doing during Cap 2.

Codependent Poster posted:

But so does Hawkguy!

That specifically exempted from continuity!!!

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

notthegoatseguy posted:

One with a million logical answers. Shield is an international organization, he was on a mission somewhere in the large percentage of the world that isn't the surrounding area of Washington D.C.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

zoux posted:

I'd bet a fair amount that Whedon's gonna have some throwaway line in A2 where Hawkeye says what he was doing during Cap 2.

Ice cream and Real Housewives marathon :colbert:

• Locked thread