Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

People have to get jobs eventually right? Not everyone can be an Internet super star after college.

lovely Wizard posted:

Imagine someone in college/high school says they want to make video games, but they don't have any applicable skills towards making said games, like a passion for programming or actual game design outside of "here's my idea for a game its mario but with a twist!!!"

They become games journalists. Then five to ten years later they realize that while actual game makers can say they are software developers or PR or something, they have to say "we report on kids toys". So this goes, until they once again they have a realization - if they push the art school type poo poo like depression quest or gone home, they can have a job worth bragging about. Instead of kids toys, they can say it's a transcendent art form.

Now imagine the longer this goes on, the longer they look like douchebags who were wrong at every point in their lives in making the decision to become games journalists, from skills at their already considered low job to ethical standards of sleeping with game devs while in arguably a position of power. This makes their lives feel like a joke, and its delicious, like a succulent orange.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

People have to get jobs eventually right? Not everyone can be an Internet super star after college.

depends how much you manage to cash-in during your 15 minutes of fame.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

The Brown Menace posted:

someone post that interview GB did with nolan north where patrick was being a snide little oval office to nolan and where towards the end nolan called him out on it, and where the only reason nolan didn't make patrick's tooth fairy take a bulk order from the closest emergency room was that i think brad was there along with them (might have been ryan though)

Yea that was pretty uncomfortable at points. To be fair to him he was pretty new at GB, and I -think- he was trying to be one of the guys, bust some balls, hang out with men when he is basically a boy, and he just failed miserably at it and came off as a bit of a prick.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Fathis Munk posted:

There are different ways of coming forward with a story is all I'm saying. I 'm not criticizing that he came forward, rather the way he did and the attention whoring he does now with his ama.
Im on my phone so it'd be kind of a pain to dig it up but if you check my post history in this thread I noted some odd pages back that he had a thread on Reddit where he was commenting about choosing SA and PA as the boards he originally posted his manifesto on because they were relatively low key and unlikely to start an internet war.

I mean I'm not going to say he did the best thing but dude was emotionally and sexually abused and I don't blame him for writing that manifesto as a way to get through it. I'm absolutely confident had genders been switched everyone would have commended his bravery for opening up to the world about what a terrible person Zoe is and everyone would have been moving to stop associating with her publicly but instead they've closed the wagons and are going to scream misogyny until they're blue in the face.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

If I had career tarnishing dirt on a ex girlfriend of how lovely a person she is and she cheated on me a bunch and a bunch of people actually gave a gently caress I'd probably leak it too tbh.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

lovely Wizard posted:

Imagine someone in college/high school says they want to make video games, but they don't have any applicable skills towards making said games, like a passion for programming or actual game design outside of "here's my idea for a game its mario but with a twist!!!"

They become games journalists. Then five to ten years later they realize that while actual game makers can say they are software developers or PR or something, they have to say "we report on kids toys". So this goes, until they once again they have a realization - if they push the art school type poo poo like depression quest or gone home, they can have a job worth bragging about. Instead of kids toys, they can say it's a transcendent art form.

Now imagine the longer this goes on, the longer they look like douchebags who were wrong at every point in their lives in making the decision to become games journalists, from skills at their already considered low job to ethical standards of sleeping with game devs while in arguably a position of power. This makes their lives feel like a joke, and its delicious, like a succulent orange.

p good post av-buddy :respek:

though it's a bit conspiracy-ony imo

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP

Fathis Munk posted:

p good post av-buddy :respek:

though it's a bit conspiracy-ony imo

well its not like they're doing it together as a conspiracy, it's just a mentality they have to push this sort of poo poo to make their lives less empty

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

GaymerX is pandering too much to homosexual gamers

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

Just Chamber posted:

Yea that was pretty uncomfortable at points. To be fair to him he was pretty new at GB, and I -think- he was trying to be one of the guys, bust some balls, hang out with men when he is basically a boy, and he just failed miserably at it and came off as a bit of a prick.

here it is, it was with ryan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nYYrgEp9IA

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

ArbitraryC posted:

Im on my phone so it'd be kind of a pain to dig it up but if you check my post history in this thread I noted some odd pages back that he had a thread on Reddit where he was commenting about choosing SA and PA as the boards he originally posted his manifesto on because they were relatively low key and unlikely to start an internet war.

I mean I'm not going to say he did the best thing but dude was emotionally and sexually abused and I don't blame him for writing that manifesto as a way to get through it. I'm absolutely confident had genders been switched everyone would have commended his bravery for opening up to the world about what a terrible person Zoe is and everyone would have been moving to stop associating with her publicly but instead they've closed the wagons and are going to scream misogyny until they're blue in the face.

Hah, like poo poo, there is no low profile on the internet, he wanted all of this to leak out, else he wouln't have posted it.

I don't think the sex of the offended matters that much in this case. If a woman wrote a crazy 5000 word manifesto with mile long chat logs she'd have been called a crazy bitch and the dude would prob also have been called out. There would have been differences, but not major ones imo.

lovely Wizard posted:

well its not like they're doing it together as a conspiracy, it's just a mentality they have to push this sort of poo poo to make their lives less empty

Ok, then I agree with you. at first I though you meant they were all doing it together in a big push or sth.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

What I learned from this today is that the games industry has more incest than Game of Thrones.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

She has the most beautiful eyes

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

a cop posted:

too bad they are lost in all that... other stuff then I guess.

juliuspringle posted:

What I learned from this today is that the games industry has more incest than Game of Thrones.

but less gratuitous murder. hmmmmmmmmm

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Treadingham, the Nodding Man from Nottingham.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Fathis Munk posted:

too bad they are lost in all that... other stuff then I guess.

you are blind

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

ArbitraryC posted:

When the creator of cards against humanity got accused of rape it didn't really seem like the "journalists" commenting on it had the same complaint about dragging his personal life out as a public spectacle. Pretty much every high profile case relating to abuse of a woman ends up commending their bravery for coming forward with the story in the face of the sexist internet that would surely be full of public backlash.
meanwhile a game dev came out confessing that zoe quinn sexually harassed him and phil fish shouted him into complacency

like that happened, and everyone still backed phil fish and zoe.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

a cop posted:

There's an LED literally embedded in her face right next to them so good luck actually keeping your eye on them.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Fathis Munk posted:

Hah, like poo poo, there is no low profile on the internet, he wanted all of this to leak out, else he wouln't have posted it.

I don't think the sex of the offended matters that much in this case. If a woman wrote a crazy 5000 word manifesto with mile long chat logs she'd have been called a crazy bitch and the dude would prob also have been called out. There would have been differences, but not major ones imo
I mean yeah he wanted it public but I don't really get why that's so bad. The alternative is to carry your shame by yourself and let the lovely people who did lovely things get away scott free with it, which seems like a pretty raw deal.

There was far less evidence for the claim against Max. Like there's legit proof and chatlogs of Zoe admitting to pretty much everything the ex claims she did, including the by her own definition non consensual sex.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

horriblePencilist posted:

There's an LED literally embedded in her face right next to them so good luck actually keeping your eye on them.

You mean ill always receive well lit blowjobs :eek:

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.
what i've gotten out of all this is that if you're an indie dev, sooner or later someone is gonna accuse you of rape. just the way it works. ending indie gaming is the first step to ending rape culture.

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

the cool thing about the suicidegirls outrage is that zoe used to be a suicidegirls model

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006

GaymerX is pandering too much to homosexual gamers

I don't really see what people are arguing for here with this stuff. Do people not know how the game industry, heck - every industry works? It's 99% about connections and favours. This is just how it works. There is no way journalism or 'game journalism' especially is ever going to be this magic impartial thing where having friends in favourable places means you get less exposure due to conflicts of interest.

There's an argument to be made about big publishers or advertisers putting pressure on people to report favorably on these things, but we're talking about people making tiny games (sometimes for free) getting exposure from their journalist friends. Who loving gives a poo poo?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

The Brown Menace posted:

the cool thing about the suicidegirls outrage is that zoe used to be a suicidegirls model

lol it wasn't even suicide girls officially, it was some knockoff wannabe site

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

*nods respectfully at post*

ArbitraryC posted:

I mean yeah he wanted it public but I don't really get why that's so bad. The alternative is to carry your shame by yourself and let the lovely people who did lovely things get away scott free with it, which seems like a pretty raw deal.

There was far less evidence for the claim against Max. Like there's legit proof and chatlogs of Zoe admitting to pretty much everything the ex claims she did, including the by her own definition non consensual sex.

It's not the fact he made it public, I think that was the right call to make, it's the way he did it, I just don't think there was a need for a gently caress rear end huge manifesto with gently caress rear end huge chat logs. And the reddit ama just makes me :raise:

:shrug:

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

Spanish Manlove posted:

lol it wasn't even suicide girls officially, it was some knockoff wannabe site

sour grapes, i guess

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Supernorn posted:

I don't really see what people are arguing for here with this stuff. Do people not know how the game industry, heck - every industry works? It's 99% about connections and favours. This is just how it works. There is no way journalism or 'game journalism' especially is ever going to be this magic impartial thing where having friends in favourable places means you get less exposure due to conflicts of interest.

There's an argument to be made about big publishers or advertisers putting pressure on people to report favorably on these things, but we're talking about people making tiny games (sometimes for free) getting exposure from their journalist friends. Who loving gives a poo poo?

people are dumb, news at 11.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Fathis Munk posted:

*nods respectfully at post*

It's not the fact he made it public, I think that was the right call to make, it's the way he did it, I just don't think there was a need for a gently caress rear end huge manifesto with gently caress rear end huge chat logs. And the reddit ama just makes me :raise:

I think he knew and it's pretty obvious that without the chat logs people/ she would just be screaming "fake" and calling him a liar, he had to provide evidence or it would have been pointless.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Fathis Munk posted:

Not trying to be snarky or anything but what way should he have done it?

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

DrManiac posted:

By making a CYOA game about it obviously.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
Zoe's boyfriend will be doing an AMA in r/drama with 4chan participating, this should be good

http://np.reddit.com/r/Drama/comments/2ekd3f/zoe_quinns_exboyfriend_will_be_doing_an_ama_here/

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

DrManiac posted:

Hah that's the big question. I'm not sure myself since I have never been in that situation and I didn't read the whole loving thing.

Starting point might have been to just write what we need to know and not 5k words, add a couple of judiciously chosen chatlogs and voila. He dumped a shitload of chatlogs, most of them don't seem to show poo poo. It just makes him look like a crazy ex

I dunno, matter of opinion maybe but I think there was a better way to handle it.

(Again, I'm in no way defending quinn or saying he should not have done it)

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Mister Fister posted:

Zoe's boyfriend will be doing an AMA in r/drama with 4chan participating, this should be good

http://np.reddit.com/r/Drama/comments/2ekd3f/zoe_quinns_exboyfriend_will_be_doing_an_ama_here/

[img-timeline]

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

what's the guy in the lower right corner doing in the image?

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

The Brown Menace posted:

She obviously was coaxed into it, I mean what choice did she have in this male-dominated society?

horriblePencilist fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Aug 25, 2014

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLaERVA-P6o

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

trying to score zoe

FAROOQ
Aug 20, 2014

by Smythe

Fathis Munk posted:

Hah that's the big question. I'm not sure myself since I have never been in that situation and I didn't read the whole loving thing.

Starting point might have been to just write what we need to know and not 5k words, add a couple of judiciously chosen chatlogs and voila. He dumped a shitload of chatlogs, most of them don't seem to show poo poo. It just makes him look like a crazy ex

I dunno, matter of opinion maybe but I think there was a better way to handle it.

(Again, I'm in no way defending quinn or saying he should not have done it)

He's getting branded a crazy ex no matter what. At least he's a crazy ex with tonnes of proof.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

Guy who got owned hard by a furry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
When will this pile of poo poo finally run out if steam? It has to at some point, right?

• Locked thread