Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
nm got the axle in, now just trying to get the ball joint back on.

two other questions:

when i try twisting the axle it's seated enough that the wheel on the other side turns - in the opposite direction that i'm twisting - this seems the opposite of what should be happening; am i wrong?

no gear oil dripped out of the tranny when i pulled the old axle - i'm going to check, but should i be concerned about that?

blk fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Aug 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

blk posted:

when i try twisting the axle it's seated enough that the wheel on the other side turns - in the opposite direction that i'm twisting - this seems the opposite of what should be happening; am i wrong?

In a nutshell, yeah. The input shaft for the diff is still connected to the rest of the trans giving a certain amount of resistance. The front diff is an open one (STI gets an lsd) so the if you spin one output one way, and the input is stationary, then the other output will spin in the opposite direction.

As for the fluid, double check the dipstick, add if low. I think you're supposed to lose fluid but the angle of the car has an impact on that so if you just jacked up the front you might not lose any fluid.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Usually not a lot drips out, but yeah check when you're done on a level surface and all that.

Make sure the ball joint is going is straight, trying to hammer it in at an angle isn't the way to go

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

bull3964 posted:

End of an era.

I traded in my 2002 WRX tonight on a 2015 BRZ Limited Series Blue. I was really hard letting the car go and I'm not ashamed to say I choked up a bit, but it was time. I had that thing for 13 years, but nothing lasts forever in PA and the cancer was starting in a few spots. I know if something else broke on it again, it would probably sit for months again until I got around to fixing it. Better to go to someone who will drive it for the time it has left rather than rot in my driveway in between fixing things.

Please tell us how the BRZ is because I have an intense hard on for that car.

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006

blk posted:

nm got the axle in, now just trying to get the ball joint back on.

two other questions:

no gear oil dripped out of the tranny when i pulled the old axle - i'm going to check, but should i be concerned about that?

You're probably already done by now, but if not, an air hammer and a pointed chisel bit knocks it right into place like nothing, or a jack under the control arm works too. Just make sure it's fully seated in the upright when you're done.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

8ender posted:

Please tell us how the BRZ is because I have an intense hard on for that car.

I've put about 110 miles on it since I got it last night. It's been hard generally keeping it under 4k RPM for the break in period, but even then it's incredibly driveable.

It is my opinion that this is the spiritual successor to the GD WRX. The GD, in stock form, was never this nimble, but it has the same sort of energetic feel.

My '11 is quick. It sticks well around turns. I can scare myself with it, but I never really feel like I'm driving it fast or all that involved in the process.

The BRZ reminds me of my 2002. You feel like you are driving it fast. You feel like a superstar. It has that spark of excitement. Thus far, my nerve has failed me long before the car has given ANY signs of not being able to cope with what I was telling it to do.

The 6 speed along with the different power delivery of the engine has been a little bit of a learning curve. I largely shifted my '11 the same as my '02. I know what gear I downshift to driving my normal routes. That goes right out the window with this car. I'm usually having to think one gear higher.

The car is amazing at about 55-60mph in 5th on back twisty roads. There's just enough power to keep the car moving at a good clip with decent throttle response. In general, it's just really well polished driving experience. I'll never say I don't want more power, but the car feels great with what it has and I can't wait until I can really make it sing in the upper RPM band.

The seats are hands down incredible. It's the biggest disappointment about my '11, especially coming from the '02.

Beyond the driving experience, it just feels special. I remember when I first got my 2002. They were only out for about 6 months, not many people knew about the WRX back then. Everywhere I went there were tons of looks, you could see people talking about the car. WRX is old hat now and while I do like the silly stying on my '11, it's still silly and not much of a looker. They blend into the background.

BRZ in WRB Pearl though, especially with the STI aero elements, wheels, and red calipers, turns heads. I had no fewer than 5 people stop by my office today at work, people who I didn't even knew payed the slightest bit of attention to cars, to gush about how amazing they thought it looked.

I'm falling in love with the car very quickly and that's really helping me get over trading in my 2002. I was kind of emotionally exhausted last night after getting it and really didn't feel as if I got to enjoy it. Today though, things are rapidly clicking. I'm looking forward to this weekend when I can catch up on sleep and feel really sharp behind the wheel.

To sum up, I felt like i got into a rut with my '11 and the BRZ has reignited my love for driving again.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Aug 23, 2014

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
So I got the STi up on a lift tonight and got the extension case off. We tried and tried to get the center diff off of it's shaft, but it will not come off. Anyone have any suggestions?

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006
It should slide right off, but the diff's shaft will remain in the case. Were you able to remove the transfer gear shaft from the housing?

A large gear puller may work, or maybe even a vise, fat punch, hammer, and some creativity to knock the diff loose off the shaft.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

McSpatula posted:

It should slide right off, but the diff's shaft will remain in the case. Were you able to remove the transfer gear shaft from the housing?

A large gear puller may work, or maybe even a vise, fat punch, hammer, and some creativity to knock the diff loose off the shaft.

I was able to take off the transfer driven gear. I've taken a hammer to it and big pry bars to it.I'll take some pictures this afternoon.

G-Mach fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Aug 23, 2014

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I suppose it's possible you broke something else, like the front driveshaft or the driven shaft, and the splines are all mangled up and not letting the diff come out. Basically this but on the front output instead of the rear:

If you put it in gear and try to turn the front wheels back and forth you'll be moving the two shafts relative to each other and it might help.

jamal fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Aug 23, 2014

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

jamal posted:

I suppose it's possible you broke something else, like the front driveshaft or the driven shaft, and the splines are all mangled up and not letting the diff come out. Basically this but on the front output instead of the rear:

If you put it in gear and try to turn the front wheels back and forth you'll be moving the two shafts relative to each other and it might help.

I put it into gear last night and moved the wheels back and forth. It helped a little, but it was still stuck on the shaft. I still have the transmission in the STi. Should I just take it off so it's easier to work on?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I guess you might have to anyway, but the diff has to come out before anything else comes off or apart. I guess if you pulled off the shift linkage and then unbolted the next section, prying that off would also pull off the diff, but that surface has to seal so don't mangle it up.

PleasusChrist
Oct 20, 2010

Does anyone happen to know what this pink clip is called or where to get one (or three)? I've tried the websites but can't seem to figure out what part it is from any of the diagrams.

I found out one of mine is broken and two are missing when I had the door panels off last weekend.

(Not my picture)

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

jamal posted:

I guess you might have to anyway, but the diff has to come out before anything else comes off or apart. I guess if you pulled off the shift linkage and then unbolted the next section, prying that off would also pull off the diff, but that surface has to seal so don't mangle it up.

I already have the shift linkage off along with the shifter. I'm having a friend come over to the shop who has taken 5 speed center diffs apart to look at it with me.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
http://imgur.com/Od5Nwbf
http://imgur.com/bKdDqQG
Here are some pictures.

G-Mach fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Aug 24, 2014

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006
I thought it was separated from the rest of the trans for some reason. If you have room for the leverage, place some plywood on the mating surface so you don't damage things and throw some muscle behind a pry bar.

Are you able to rotate things freely? Like Jamal mentioned earlier, throwing it in gear, and getting things moving by hand might find that sweet spot for you; sometimes it's the dumbest luck that makes the job.

Mikemo Tyson
Apr 30, 2008
Can anyone give me any insight on what is up with my wife's Outback? The passenger seat airbag won't arm no matter who is sitting in it, from myself (150lbs) to my father-in-law (~300lbs.) The light on the dash for the airbag system fault is solidly illuminated.

I'm also having trouble with the steering wheel radio controls randomly cease to work. From what I gather there was a recall that had something to do with the steering roll connector using bad grease or something causing the wires to fail. I'm worried that the wires for the steering wheel airbag might have been chewed up also leading to the airbag system fault light.

I drove the car like this for a few weeks now since my I traded my WRX in for a van for my wife and took the Outback for my own. I couldn't care less about the airbag light but I'm getting a company work van from my new job and have no need for the Outback and want to sell it. The only problem is that I'm sure the airbag system being faulted may pose a problem with potential purchasers. Does anyone know of any common sensor faults under the passenger seat or is my best bet to pull the steering wheel apart and look for gnawed wires?

I'd really prefer to stay away from taking it to the dealership since the only one within a reasonable driving distance charges $150 for a diagnostic fee and were complete assholes when my WRX had to have it's motor replaced under warranty.

e: I was told by the dealership that my car had the recall work performed but I'm having the exact same issues described by the TSB. Unfortunately since the repair was done over 1 year ago I'm not eligible to have the work done again on SoA's dime. It's a gamble to try to fix the problem with the airbag system, unless the problem with the steering wheel airbag is causing the passenger seat switch to not function. Would the system being faulted at the steering column roll connector cause everything else to shut down like that?

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
Bad news I got the transmission out and the gear that connects into the front gear of the center diff is chewed up. So I'm guessing both gears are now interlocked to each other and that's why the center diff can't be slid off it's shaft. I'll get some pictures.

G-Mach fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Aug 24, 2014

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

That is the drive gear for the oil pump, and I'm pretty sure it it just slides right out of that plate, so probably not what is hanging things up. Can you pull that shaft out of the back of the diff and look through?

jamal fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Aug 24, 2014

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Wow. Swapping between the BRZ and WRX is a bit trippy. WRX feels like a drat truck after the BRZ.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

jamal posted:

That is the drive gear for the oil pump, and I'm pretty sure it it just slides right out of that plate, so probably not what is hanging things up. Can you pull that shaft out of the back of the diff and look through?

I can't move that shaft or anything.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

E- nevermind. I was thinking about the 5-speed diff. That's the end of the front driveshaft that goes through the driven shaft all the way to the front diff. So it's not going anywhere.

So if you can get a 3-jaw puller from that shaft onto the case of the diff that might be a good way to pull it off.

jamal fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Aug 25, 2014

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

jamal posted:

E- nevermind. I was thinking about the 5-speed diff. That's the end of the front driveshaft that goes through the driven shaft all the way to the front diff. So it's not going anywhere.

So if you can get a 3-jaw puller from that shaft onto the case of the diff that might be a good way to pull it off.

I just tired my 3-jaw puller and I just can't it around the backside of the diff at all. There just isn't enough space back there.

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006
It'll be a pain in the rear end, and it's also probably a terrible idea, but as a last resort, you could torch/drill/weld mounting points for your gear puller into the diff and go from there. That seems pretty AI.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
I'm thinking at this point I'm just going to take the rest of the transmission apart. I was able to rebuild the ej257 with no experience what so ever. How hard can the transmission be?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'm thinking a bigger prybar. If you put a thin strip of wood on the back sealing surface of the case can you grab that lip on the diff? Or is that what you've been trying to do.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

jamal posted:

I'm thinking a bigger prybar. If you put a thin strip of wood on the back sealing surface of the case can you grab that lip on the diff? Or is that what you've been trying to do.

That's what we've been trying to do. We've been using every pry bar that we can find including 3+ foot long pry bars. The kind that we use on farm equipment. All we've managed to do it rip off the gold case that covers the magnet on the diff.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
So my cars making a sucking noise that I can only hear when the windows down from the left (passenger side cause rhd). Any ideas?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

So my cars making a sucking noise that I can only hear when the windows down from the left (passenger side cause rhd). Any ideas?

Loose air plumbing? You've got a WRX right? The sucking might actually be boost leak, is it driving normally?

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

VelociBacon posted:

Loose air plumbing? You've got a WRX right? The sucking might actually be boost leak, is it driving normally?

Apart from the brakes feeling loose the past few days yes. It might have been doing this since I got the car, I dont normally drive with the window down but its getting warmer and my hairs super short now so I figured why not.

I guess I'll be researching how to identify boost leaks, I'll check when I get some free time for anything obvious to someone with no experience.

ChunksNensja
Sep 29, 2004

When in doubt, power it out.

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Apart from the brakes feeling loose the past few days yes. It might have been doing this since I got the car, I dont normally drive with the window down but its getting warmer and my hairs super short now so I figured why not.

I guess I'll be researching how to identify boost leaks, I'll check when I get some free time for anything obvious to someone with no experience.

You sure it's not a wheel bearing noise? When the bearing fails on those the freeplay causes the hub to wobble when turning and it pushes the pistons back into the calipers. The noise and sloppy brakes could be related. I've even seen so loose that the rotor would touch the calipers and cause a hiss noise when driving.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006
What's with you jabronis in new STIs giving me in my evo 9 bad looks when I wave? Did Subaru stop giving out the AWD-turbo-bros pamphlet?

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

ROFLburger posted:

What's with you jabronis in new STIs giving me in my evo 9 bad looks when I wave? Did Subaru stop giving out the AWD-turbo-bros pamphlet?

I've found that post 09 drivers never wave and are therefore bastards.

Alzabo
Oct 23, 2002

You watched it, you can't unwatch it.

Chiwie posted:

I've found that post 09 drivers never wave and are therefore bastards.

This is not a problem in Seattle. All turbo-nutter-bastards give the wave. I tossed out the deuce at a Galant VR4 in traffic last week. :colbert:

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Get out of here you filthy bitofshitti.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

ROFLburger posted:

Can someone translate this gibberish please?

Just noticed a couple ya all liking a certain car on Facebook - dont. The guys behind that car are cunts. Like A-Grade rabid fuckwits who went out of their way to try to vindictively destroy a competitors business. Oh and they like to tune motors lean. I can list off a whoooooole bunch of pissed off owners with pistons that melted.

They deserve a smack around the head, not your support. I aint naming but hooooo boy, you do not want to be supporting these A-Grade pricks

Someone who does deserve support is KaptainBallistik, once again entered in the WRC at Coffs Harbour in two weeks time!

http://www.rally.com.au/images/stories/2014_Rally_Aust_National_Entry_List_final.pdf

si
Apr 26, 2004

Mikemo Tyson posted:

Can anyone give me any insight on what is up with my wife's Outback? The passenger seat airbag won't arm no matter who is sitting in it, from myself (150lbs) to my father-in-law (~300lbs.) The light on the dash for the airbag system fault is solidly illuminated.

There is a common problem with the 4th gen Legacy/5th gen Outback and the electronics for the passenger air bag. As far as I know, the air bag/safety components have a 10 year warranty. What year is the car? I've had to have my 2009 in twice for repair on this passenger air bag sensor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug
Tirechat:

My tread on my stock Dunlops is getting thinner than I would like on hot Arizona interstates. The inside tread where the grooves are more shallow is flat now, but I suspect I'm probably still 3 or 4/32ths in wear. I'm going to measure it properly when I get home. If it's where I think it is, I'm ordering something new tonight. I don't want to be that guy that loses tread on the 101.

I'm basically looking at either Continental ExtremeContact DW or Hankook RS-3s. Both are fairly reasonably priced, and rate fairly well.

In AZ It's always dry, and I actually grew up driving in snowy and wet conditions so even on the rare occurrences where it's wet it doesn't cause me to drive any more stupid than I normally do. Anything I should be weary of between these 2? Are there better options?

bull3964 posted:

Wow. Swapping between the BRZ and WRX is a bit trippy. WRX feels like a drat truck after the BRZ.

I went from an FR-S to this STi, and it was a pretty huge change.

The difference in clutch engagement would drive me batty. My 2005 WRX and 2013 STi were exactly as I think a clutch should act, but the FT86 seems to have so much play before engagement. I know it can be adjusted, but it's just so odd.