Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
For plasma, my lab uses blood tubes that contain sodium citrate as an anticoagulant and spin at 2600 RPM for 30 minutes.

I haven't directly sniffed the plasma or anything but there is no bad smell when I'm pipetting the plasma into cryovials for storage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
Can someone explain to me why we need to extract plasma in a cooking forum?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Daedalus Esquire posted:

Can someone explain to me why we need to extract plasma in a cooking forum?

There's your answer right there

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Steve Yun posted:

There's your answer right there

No, no I don't think it is.
What do you make with it?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Plasmacakes.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Plasma espuma, aka blood air

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
Some people are very very picky eaters.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Plasmacaroni and disease?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I guess we could just list off all the vampire foods from the Sims 3.

But what's the difference between cooking just with plasma instead of blood? Seems like trying to deliberately cook with nonfat milk instead of whole or butter-. For shame.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Very Strange Things posted:

What were you in for?

Someone gets it! Drug related thing.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Do you have a tasty prison wine recipe?

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Do you have a tasty prison wine recipe?

Only saw 1 person try to make it and they got busted before it was done unfortunately. Not something you want to try anyway haha

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Drifter posted:

No, no I don't think it is.
What do you make with it?

Clearpudding, surely?

Scientastic fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Aug 26, 2014

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Scientastic posted:

Clearpudding, surely?

Deconstructed black pudding: platelet and red blood cell crumbles over oatmeal with a dollop of plasma foam on top.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

bartolimu posted:

Deconstructed black pudding: platelet and red blood cell crumbles over oatmeal with a dollop of plasma foam on top.

That sounds kinda yummy actually.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

If you are a cannibal, yes it does.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Normal people don't eat scabs.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

goodness posted:

If you are a cannibal, yes it does.

There are more things than humans that have blood.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

a worthy uhh posted:

There are more things than humans that have blood.

Yes but someone mentioned using human blood. Humor.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

In the cooking forum? Hah

That gets substituted out.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Oh, I'm definitely cooking with a humor.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Steve Yun posted:

Nicely done

Jun 23, 2010

What's the best oil to pan fry salmon fillet with?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Depends on how you're serving it. If it's a Japanese style or something, a neutral oil such as peanut or canola is fine. If you're making Scottish salmon or having a more continental style dish, use butter.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Steve Yun posted:

met up with this guy?

icehewk posted:

Been aging this according to Ruhlman. It had some maggots on it near the bone but I cut all of that out as you can see. Is it all right?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

goodness posted:

met up with this guy?

That's amazing it even looks like it's wearing a sandal and sock. :allears:

So of course he deserved to die.

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006
My kkakdugi turned out way too salty... again. Is there anyway to fix this? Will it get less salty over time?

I've had problems with this before and got some much better salt this time round, which seemed to fix it in the first stages. Everything seemed to be going deliciously until I added the prawns and then it turned into a salty punch in the mouth :( Blergh.

I wanted to make some beansprout kimchi today, could I just boil it, then stick some in. Would this balance the saltiness?

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

If you have trouble finding the right amount of salt, you should really start measuring how much salt you put in. You need to know how much salt you put in, if you want to adjust the amount.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

The most important thing about salt is to always taste before and after you add some. Salt ALWAYS must be fined tuned to whatever you are cooking (specially meat).

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Squashy Nipples posted:

The most important thing about salt is to always taste before and after you add some. Salt ALWAYS must be fined tuned to whatever you are cooking (specially meat).

Salt is really hard for me to taste when things are hot. I have to take stuff out of the pot and set it aside to cool a little before I can salt for flavor (if I want to be super accurate - normally I can just wing it well enough).

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

That's another important thing: If food is served cold, do the final seasoning when it's cold. If it's served hot, finish seasoning it when it's hot.

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

If you have trouble finding the right amount of salt, you should really start measuring how much salt you put in. You need to know how much salt you put in, if you want to adjust the amount.

I use 3% salt per weight of veg. I've been a bit reluctant to reduce this in case it interfered with the pickling, could I replace some of the salt with anchovy sauce or just the shrimp? I really like the shrimp though, I don't feel like it tastes right without it...

I let it sit with the salt and chilli for 1 hr before adding the rest and at that point it tasted fine, same with the dried fish/rice mush thing, but those shrimp :arghfist:

Here's the recipe I've used:

1kg Veg
30g Salt
1.5 tbsp Chilli
30g Dried Whole Fish
1 cup Water
50g Cooked Rice
1 tbsp Sugar
0.5 tsp Garlic
1 tsp Ginger
1.5 tbsp Chilli
2 tbsp Shrimp

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Hmm, you need the salt to draw out the liquid, right? Is using half of it still enough? Maybe reducing it wouldn't work as good on the other hand. In that case you could discard something like a third or half of the salty, drawn out juices and then add everything else?

Lucy Heartfilia fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Aug 27, 2014

SavTargaryen
Sep 11, 2011
So I'm a huge fan of white bean and bacon soup. Nothing complicated - just beans, bacon ends, thrown in a crockpot for 9-10 hours while I'm at work. I can only rarely find bacon ends - what would be a good, non-meat substitute for that, flavor-wise?

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
I know they're meat, but have you considered the middle of the bacon? Swear to god, you can't tell the difference.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

SavTargaryen posted:

So I'm a huge fan of white bean and bacon soup. Nothing complicated - just beans, bacon ends, thrown in a crockpot for 9-10 hours while I'm at work. I can only rarely find bacon ends - what would be a good, non-meat substitute for that, flavor-wise?

Either I don't understand the question or the answer is "nothing". Nothing would be a good substitute for that. Unless it's different where you are, a bacon "end" just means the chunks left over when it gets too difficult to keep slicing the bacon. There is nothing non-meat that you would want to slow-cook with beans to impart that fat and flavor. Ask the butcher at your supermarket to just cut some bacon into chunks for you. Or give you an uncut, cured, pork belly and cut it into chunks.

Failing that, salt pork. Or just any fatty cut of pork you find. A chop even. Whatever is cheap. A smoked ham hock?

You could just cook beans and then sprinkle in some Bacos™ at the end I guess. I'm pretty sure there is a vegan brand of "bacon bits" that has a smoky, salty, sad shadow of bacon flavor.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
A non-meat alternative won't be the same but you can certainly make non-meat beans that are flavorful. You can sweat some combo of onion/celery/carrot/pepper as a base to flavor your soup and add spices/herbs like smoked paprika, bay leaves, thyme, etc.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
I was given a 16lb pork belly and we have more at work. What should I do with it? If I need more I can grab what I want, we have about 100lbs to give away.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
1. Porchetta
http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/12/all-belly-porchetta-recipe-italian-roast-pork.html

2. Chashu
http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/03/chashu-pork-marinated-braised-pork-belly-for-tonkotsu-ramen-recipe.html

The recipe is also part of a larger tonkotsu ramen recipe if you're in the mood to try that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

SavTargaryen posted:

Ham hocks.

Also why aren't you putting onions in there onions belong there put onions in.