Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
MBP unless you're a windows only shop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Mercurius posted:

bucketloads of RAM

:raise:

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

stubblyhead posted:

A job offer came in... for a principal engineer position at another company for a pretty hefty pay boost. My new boss just told I can pick whatever kind of laptop I want, so long as I keep it within reason. I'm still waiting to hear on what that means exactly, but any suggestions on what to pick? I've been using an HP EliteBook for about three years now, but I was always pretty satisfied with the thinkpads I'd used previously. What's Lenovo's current hot poo poo?

Thinkpad Helix, although I think they are a little light on RAM (8GB max). But would be great if portability was the main concern.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Find me a portable Windows laptop that comes with a Quad-core i7 and 16GB of RAM by default like the 15" rMBP does. Half of the ultrabooks we've looked at can't even be configured to 16GB.

edit: Perhaps I should say 'find me a laptop that has more than 16GB of RAM that isn't something like a Precision'.

Mercurius fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Aug 26, 2014

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I've order HP Elitebook 9470m's with 16 gigs. Cheap too. Great laptops.

Prosthetic_Mind
Mar 1, 2007
Pillbug

Mercurius posted:

Find me a portable Windows laptop that comes with a Quad-core i7 and 16GB of RAM by default like the 15" rMBP does. Half of the ultrabooks we've looked at can't even be configured to 16GB.

edit: Perhaps I should say 'find me a laptop that has more than 16GB of RAM that isn't something like a Precision'.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=34-317-540
Lenovo, with a 4k screen as well. I didn't realize these things went for as low as $1250, reviews say it only does 48hz in 4k mode though.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

Varkk posted:

Thinkpad Helix, although I think they are a little light on RAM (8GB max). But would be great if portability was the main concern.

Helix are pieces of poo poo, if you're going for a nice Lenovo get the X1 Carbon.

EDIT:
or a W540 is size isn't a concern.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Prosthetic_Mind posted:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=34-317-540
Lenovo, with a 4k screen as well. I didn't realize these things went for as low as $1250, reviews say it only does 48hz in 4k mode though.
I'm sure I'll get told I'm moving goalposts here but I'm curious what field you work in where you buy gaming laptops from newegg for business use.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Gunjin posted:

EDIT:
or a W540 is size isn't a concern.

This is what I've kind of been leaning towards. It's actually a little smaller than the elitebooks I've been using the past few years, and with as little travel as I'm anticipating I don't see it being a burden in that sense. I still have no idea what kind of budget I have to work with though, so this is ultimately just wishful thinking.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Renegret posted:

Yeah, it's company policy in my company that discussing your pay with your coworkers will be met with termination. I know they can't legally enforce it but it's really not worth the time and energy raising a stink about it when I really don't care enough.

There's also the fact that they can coincidentally fire you for any other reason or no reason at all after catching wind of you chatting about your salary (or any other nefarious U-word related topics), and there really isn't much you can do about it unless they're dumb enough to admit it publicly or make it amazingly blindingly obvious. Sure, you could sue them and maybe you'd win eventually, but good luck finding another job in the meantime when hiring managers call your last place to verify your employment and get the "Sorry, we cannot discuss matters relating to pending litigation" response...

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
A Latitude 6440 or 7440 if you want some style should easily do any i7 and 16GB of ram in a portable package. The 7440 will also give you a 14" full HD display if you feel like it.

Prosthetic_Mind
Mar 1, 2007
Pillbug

Mercurius posted:

I'm sure I'll get told I'm moving goalposts here but I'm curious what field you work in where you buy gaming laptops from newegg for business use.

I don't, actually. Maybe I interpreted what you said too literally, but I went to look for a laptop specced with 16 gigs of ram by default and found a lot of them, I think they just tend to be more common on the gamer side. I was more surprised that 4k laptops are out already.

I generally don't spec or order machines, I just set them up and program for them.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Okay Renegret it's VERY IMPORTANT you send these hourly update e-mails to *list of 12 executives*

*Sends first status update e-mail*
*Receives 12 out of office responses*

Yeah very important guys.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

rolleyes posted:

Note that this is entirely untrue in the UK. The infrastructure on which the mail resides and is transmitted is company property, but you actually have certain expectations/rights to privacy on the email itself as an employee. Obviously you can't own company secrets, but neither is your employer permitted to go spelunking through your email without an extremely good reason and in almost all circumstances they're obliged to notify you that they're doing it. This also only applies to header/addressing information (e.g. at most the subject line) - reading the content is even more restricted and likely to result in an employment tribunal or lawsuit if action is taken on the basis of doing so (or even if it's discovered).

"I done gone emailed them the wrong darn email" would not count as a valid reason.

Edit:
For those interested, here's a brief fact sheet which summarises the position on this in the UK.

Thank you for providing that reference link.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

anthonypants posted:

Go ahead, get a MBP. Be that guy.

Once the rMBP gets a touch screen it's game over. I run Windows 8.1 exclusively on my mid 2011 and love it

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

Maybe I'm a moron here, but don't HP Z books come with like a core i7 and 16 gb ram?
Although I guess you might not need the GPU on it.

Now that I'm looking there's also the elitebook 850 which can also be ordered with 16 gb ram and a i7.

So, yeah, you don't need to order a mac just to get 16 gb of ram, if you want a mac that's fine but don't say it's the only brand out there with 16 gb ram.
I kinda want a mac myself, just to learn the os but eh. Can't afford one.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I run Win8.1 exclusively on a base model MBA for work, suits my needs just fine, the form factor is great and the touchpad is excellent. I have a Dell desktop for heavy lifting, with more cores and RAMs then I probably need and probably cost less than maxing out a laptops RAM and CPU.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Inspector_666 posted:

I've never seen that, I've only ever seen the alert when you turn caps lock on.

It took me forever to get a picture of this happening because I couldn't remember where it happened. Turns out I was thinking of an alert saying that numlock was on, not that capslock was off. And it makes sense now because it appears on laptops, where numlock can actually screw up things.

The problem was that this laptop had a tenkey, so numlock functioned like on a normal keyboard and made this alert just confusing.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

My remote desktop workstation at work will randomly turn numlock and capslock on and off.
They lights on the keyboard don't change.
A couple of times I've lost phone numbers because of this :saddowns:
It doesn't happen often enough to where I can figure out what causes it though, which sucks.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Looks like I'll be able to get a suitable W540 with the money I've been allocated, thanks for the discussion everyone.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

What's the go to tool for troubleshooting hardware issues? I still use the Hirens Boot CD but it hasn't changed in years.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

stubblyhead posted:

Looks like I'll be able to get a suitable W540 with the money I've been allocated, thanks for the discussion everyone.

I've been issued a W540 for my job. It's well built but they brought over some hardware designs from the IdeaPads that sort of badly implement MacBook Pro designs (multitouch trackpad, chiclet keyboard, mini displayport) but overall I'm happy with it.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Anybody else doing end user desktop backups and not using windows backup? I have been tasked with putting something easy together for the execs systems but I am finding that I lack the care to actually put in a lot of work.

My first instinct was to do windows backup daily and leave it at that. My boss doesn't like it for reasons that aren't technical ones.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Just get a company Backblaze account and let end-users manage it themselves. It auths based on what comes after the @ in the users email address, so if they use the corporate domain then it takes one off your license count.

Runs exactly the same as normal Backblaze, I'm not sure IT could have any access to the system even if they wanted to. You can go down the managed path but obviously :effort:

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

Sickening posted:

Anybody else doing end user desktop backups and not using windows backup? I have been tasked with putting something easy together for the execs systems but I am finding that I lack the care to actually put in a lot of work.

My first instinct was to do windows backup daily and leave it at that. My boss doesn't like it for reasons that aren't technical ones.

I used to install syncback free for customers back when I was running my own show, never really had any trouble with it. Of course that's only if you want automated backup to stuff on the smae network or on a external hard drive.

Fakeedit: Actually I may have misunderstood a bit, you want something that makes a back up of everything or just files?

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Sickening posted:

I've heard good things about http://www.carbonite.com/

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

m.hache posted:

I've heard good things about http://www.carbonite.com/

I use it, I like it. It's not perfect, but I use it to off-site backup my documents folder, photos, drawings, etc.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Backup exec contract expires in a month I have been testing out veeam and its a dream. The dream ends when you look at the price. Dear god the sticker shock was traumatizing. The amount of sockets we have would cost us 20k for our tiny shop.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Sickening posted:

Backup exec contract expires in a month I have been testing out veeam and its a dream. The dream ends when you look at the price. Dear god the sticker shock was traumatizing. The amount of sockets we have would cost us 20k for our tiny shop.

Are you just doing that based on price listed on their website? or actually contacted a salesrep?

If you're serious about it try signing up for the Spiceworks forums and contacting a salesrep there. I've seen them cut some amazing deals/clarify a lot of things with their pricing.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Sickening posted:

I remember the topic coming up in the past. Someone was saying that at certain times of the year they're really willing to offer discounts.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

m.hache posted:

Are you just doing that based on price listed on their website? or actually contacted a salesrep?

If you're serious about it try signing up for the Spiceworks forums and contacting a salesrep there. I've seen them cut some amazing deals/clarify a lot of things with their pricing.

Veeam sells through VARS. My VAR just sent me a quote.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I remember the topic coming up in the past. Someone was saying that at certain times of the year they're really willing to offer discounts.

We spent 6k on backup exec 2 years ago I believe. I really doubt we are going to get anywhere close to that even with discounts. Its a loving shame.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Aug 26, 2014

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Sickening posted:

Veeam sells through VARS. My VAR just sent me a quote.

We spent 6k on backup exec 2 years ago I believe. I really doubt we are going to get anywhere close to that even with discounts. Its a loving shame.

What sort of environment do you have? What are your requirements?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

ConfusedUs posted:

What sort of environment do you have? What are your requirements?

We currently have 5 vmware hosts. The current raw data backed up is around 6 tera I believe? All I need is a reliable backup/restore at the system and file level.

I could cut my veeam costs by 60% just by putting our entire environment on our band new monster hosts and phase out the other 3. Our current host needs don't exceed one of them much less two but HA is nice to have. My boss doesn't want to do this for non-technical reasons. He was stubborn about keeping the old stuff around and has already spent money on HBA's and vmware licensing on this old stuff.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Aug 26, 2014

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Sickening posted:

We currently have 5 vmware hosts. The current raw data backed up is around 6 tera I believe? All I need is a reliable backup/restore at the system and file level.

I could cut my veeam costs by 60% just by putting our entire environment on our band new monster hosts and phase out the other 3. Our current host needs don't exceed one of them much less two but HA is nice to have. My boss doesn't want to do this for non-technical reasons. He was stubborn about keeping the old stuff around and has already spent money on HBA's and vmware licensing on this old stuff.

Yeah I have a hard time recommending anything other than Veeam for that sort of setup.

Man Yam
Aug 31, 2004
Pickle. No! You pickle!
I went with Unitrends Virtual backup (previously PHD Virtual) due to the same sticker shock with Veeam. 4 hosts with 2x CPU came out to about $20k, quoted by CDW. Unitrends was like around $1.5k per host with 3 years Gold support.

File level recovery is straightforward, had some funky issues with VM recovery but those were on windows vms running Domino server, which I think are resolved now. I just don't like the fact that I am stuck with a single user account, no AD integration yet.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Man Yam posted:

no AD integration yet.
How can you possibly market yourself as a legitimate backup product without Active Directory integration. That sounds like a salesman trying to sell me a car that does everything but drive on the road.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

nexxai posted:

How can you possibly market yourself as a legitimate backup product without Active Directory integration. That sounds like a salesman trying to sell me a car that does everything but drive on the road.

I don't understand how the backup software can work at all in a windows environment without some level of ad integration.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Yeah thats pretty much bullshit right there

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

Sickening posted:

I don't understand how the backup software can work at all in a windows environment without some level of ad integration.

AD integrated logins are a pretty separate thing from being able to backup AD secured files.
It's still a 3 line thing to verify a password against AD, and a couple more lines to check group memberships so there's not really any excuse for an application to not use this since .NET 3.5 came out like 5 years ago though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

peak debt posted:

AD integrated logins are a pretty separate thing from being able to backup AD secured files.
It's still a 3 line thing to verify a password against AD, and a couple more lines to check group memberships so there's not really any excuse for an application to not use this since .NET 3.5 came out like 5 years ago though.

That was more of the direction I was going.

• Locked thread