Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
revdrkevind, took Joe Danger 2. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Grey Elephants posted:

Any good first person physics puzzlers out there? I have Portal 1 and 2, Qube, and Quantum conundrum.

Also, how is Eldritch? A first person roguelike sounds pretty fun.

Can't vouch for Magrunner: Dark Pulse's goodness, but it's probably the sort of thing you're after.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Seventh Arrow posted:

A couple of hours for a tutorial? Do you fight enemies with physics equations?

Close enough. Here's what you're building up to:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeUiwRI6rqM

Granted, this is a very late-game boss, but it's an example of why you probably need to learn all the basics first. This isn't even the most complex one right now, either.

When I say that 1-15 are the tutorial, I don't mean that it's literally just wall after wall of text. I just mean that it's a very gentle buildup set in and around your starting city, and each new quest usually introduces some new gameplay mechanic or feature. Around Lv15, you're given a quest to go on a pilgrimage, meet the leaders of all the cities in the world, and are given free reign to explore and do whatever the hell you want. It's also where the main story arc kicks off.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Aug 26, 2014

Cor Geal
Aug 2, 2012
Took Papa & Yo, thanks revdrkevind.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

revdrkevind posted:

Hero Academy

Much appreciated! It looks neat.

Antichamber: https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=dcR3nNmWzkSFvwHM
PixelJunk: https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=NVwe4aP5eDCq86yk

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Since I know people were talking about Lichdom: Battlemage a while ago, worth noting that its full release was today. Been watching someone on Twitch play it today, they fixed up a lot of the things that people were complaining about it, the cutscenes have full art now, etc.

Also holy poo poo the game is so crazy to watch in motion.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Kyrosiris posted:

Since I know people were talking about Lichdom: Battlemage a while ago, worth noting that its full release was today. Been watching someone on Twitch play it today, they fixed up a lot of the things that people were complaining about it, the cutscenes have full art now, etc.

Also holy poo poo the game is so crazy to watch in motion.

Downloading the update on steam right now, will post back with how awesome it is!

Whiirrr
Feb 14, 2006

Soiled Meat

Got this one, thanks!

This game is loving awesome, thank you again!

Whiirrr fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Aug 26, 2014

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I dunno what it says about Tiny and Big that it was still available even this long after you made that post (seems sometimes like people use bots to scoop up these codes) but I grabbed that and Little Inferno. Thanks! I'll give em a spin this weekend.

Someone else should definitely grab Gemini Rue because it owns.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Quest For Glory II posted:

I dunno what it says about Tiny and Big that it was still available even this long after you made that post (seems sometimes like people use bots to scoop up these codes) but I grabbed that and Little Inferno. Thanks! I'll give em a spin this weekend.

Someone else should definitely grab Gemini Rue because it owns.

Tiny and Big was available? Weird, I tried to grab it and it said it was already taken.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

Grey Elephants posted:

Any good first person physics puzzlers out there? I have Portal 1 and 2, Qube, and Quantum conundrum.

Recently I've played the following and liked them:

Ether One - I'd highly recommend this one. More than any game recently it felt like I was playing a first-person version of Myst. With the hook that you're diving into the mind of someone with the intent of restoring their memories, it uses a fairly cool inventory system and some nicely grounded puzzles. I only found myself getting stuck in the game a few times, and aside from one small puzzle needed for full completion the answers all came back to things that I had overlooked.

Mind: Path To Thalamus - This is a beautiful game with a terrible screenplay attached to it. The puzzles never got super complex until the very end, but it was worth going through just to see the amazing level design. That being said, at the moment I'd recommend using a community hack to turn off the voiceovers - it's quite bad. The developers have stated that, based on the feedback, they intend to re-write and re-record the narration of the game in a few months, so you could wait for then if you like. They've already done a pass to patch-out a lot of the redundant lines since when I played.

Only If - Notable because it's free. Although it has its warts, it has a fairly interesting approach to voice direction that makes things sound quite natural on the whole - almost as if a lot of it was improvised during recording. It's not the prettiest or the best game, but you can't beat that asking price.

Anti-chamber - If you like non-euclidian FPS puzzlers, then this game is for you. It has a really striking visual style and made a fair bit of waves in the indie community on its release. It's a bit of a divisive game on these forums, but I personally love it and think it's well worth your time.

As for Eldritch, I had a good time with it but ultimately thought that it ended up being a bit too short, and a bit too samey for the time that I did spend with it. Some patches have come out since then that I'm told address that however.

Brackhar fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Aug 26, 2014

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Brackhar posted:

Ether One - I'd highly recommend this one. More than any game recently it felt like I was playing a first-person version of Myst. With the hook that you're diving into the mind of someone with the intent of restoring their memories, it uses a fairly cool inventory system and some nicely grounded puzzles. I only found myself getting stuck in the game a few times, and aside from one small puzzle needed for full completion the answers all came back to things that I had overlooked.
It's interesting, but I've found myself annoyed with the controls a lot and the graphics seem really poorly optimized. It drops down to single-digit fps a lot while a more graphically complex game like Dark Souls 2 runs smoothly on the same machine.

DoctorOfLawls
Mar 2, 2001

SA's Brazilian Diplomat

Grey Elephants posted:

Play The Swapper and thank me later.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Jon Joe posted:

Downloading the update on steam right now, will post back with how awesome it is!

I'm shipping this game hard right now and just posted a thread about it!

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

Paracelsus posted:

It's interesting, but I've found myself annoyed with the controls a lot and the graphics seem really poorly optimized. It drops down to single-digit fps a lot while a more graphically complex game like Dark Souls 2 runs smoothly on the same machine.

There's not too much in the way of controls though. There's a pickup/examine, a return to hub, and then that's about it outside of normal FPS movement. As for the FPS I didn't run into any issues on my machine as a counterpoint, so at least that's not a universal problem.

DoctorOfLawls posted:

Play The Swapper and thank me later.
This. The Swapper is great.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
So I usually sell my steam cards as soon as I can to get wallet funds. I even managed to get Insurgency for free because of it. But now Valve demands a whole lot of information from me because I sold 199 cards/items total apparently. It sounds like it only applies to US citizens but it still asks me to fill out the form. Can I just leave it blank and hit send since I'm in the EU or what am I supposed to do? I'd rather not lose my Steam account because the form was filled out incorrectly or some other bureaucracy bullshit.

Dr Sun Try
May 23, 2009

Plaster Town Cop

Torabi posted:

So I usually sell my steam cards as soon as I can to get wallet funds. I even managed to get Insurgency for free because of it. But now Valve demands a whole lot of information from me because I sold 199 cards/items total apparently. It sounds like it only applies to US citizens but it still asks me to fill out the form. Can I just leave it blank and hit send since I'm in the EU or what am I supposed to do? I'd rather not lose my Steam account because the form was filled out incorrectly or some other bureaucracy bullshit.

Just fill it out, you won't have to pay US taxes.

edit: iirc you put your address in and on one of the pages you tick "not US citizen", that's basically it

Dr Sun Try fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Aug 26, 2014

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free do to anything"

Kragger99 posted:

Been working on my backlog the past few weeks, and got to play Brothers - a Tale of Two Sons last night (Thanks Dementropy!). This is the game where you control 2 brothers (most times simultaneously) each with one of the thumbsticks on the controller. It's a puzzle/platrformer.
While I often get confused which one I'm controlling (I think the secret to to keep the left thumbstick brother on the left side of the screen, and right on the right) the game is all sorts of charming, and the puzzles are fun, but not challenging - don't expect a difficult game here. I also think it's quite short (3-5 hours), and an easy one to 100%. If you have it in your backlog, I'd urge you to give it a try, and see if it sticks. There's also 2 Playfire cheeves that you can get in about an hour.

Played it to the end just now and don't regret it. Story is so simple, but so great.

One more item removed from the backlog.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Brackhar posted:

There's not too much in the way of controls though. There's a pickup/examine, a return to hub, and then that's about it outside of normal FPS movement.
The movement speed when not running is really slow, so you have to run to actually get anywhere, and I had issues with text entry parts like the log-in sheet in the intro lobby where I could go in there and start entering text, but none of the buttons seemed to allow me to exit or otherwise complete the entry.

I've also had to reload a couple times because I apparently accidentally walked too far in the wrong direction during parts that are supposed to be somewhat on-rails (doors were involved) and ended up stuck.

Paracelsus fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Aug 26, 2014

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Woo! Finished Saint's Row 4. Got all the homie missions and %100ed Steelport. That was fun. Does GTA 5 ever hit the highs Saint's Row does? If not then I also got Sleeping Dogs to play.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Orcs Must Die 2

https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=ZR8BxDTMEctzNZAR

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Sleeping Dogs felt a lot tighter to me than SR4 did. A LOT less filler bullshit and the combat was way more fun/satisfying and the city more interesting. Play it! Plus GTA isn't even out yet.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Sleeping Dogs is my favorite game of the genre. It's so much fun.

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

Sleeping Dogs is the best open world game I have played. Go play it NOW.

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!
These new newbie avs are trippin me out. For a second there I thought the same guy triple-posted different endorsements for Sleeping Dogs.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Mung Dynasty posted:

These new newbie avs are trippin me out. For a second there I thought the same guy triple-posted different endorsements for Sleeping Dogs.

I wouldn't complain if someone did.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Mung Dynasty posted:

It's just THAT good.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Lance Streetman posted:

Forgot to mention this earlier, but: As part of the one year Anniversary of the FFXIV relaunch, Square Enix is holding a free login campaign that ends September 1st, in addition to the free trial they started recently. So if you already have an FFXIV account, you can log in for free, and if you don't, you can do the free trial. They're doing a bunch of neat summer fair events right now, so it's a good time to check it out.
Is this the FFMMO where you can get a pet Cactaur? Can I get it during the trial?

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Scalding Coffee posted:

Is this the FFMMO where you can get a pet Cactaur? Can I get it during the trial?

Yes, no.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
SR4 and Sleeping Dogs are both great games.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I've got a question about Sleeping Dogs.
I have played it up until you get your first driving mission then for whatever reason I had to quit and I sort of forgot all about it.
However the small bit that I did play felt very enclosed and claustrophobic, not open worldy at all.
Even the combat parts before felt like that, very enclosed.
I enjoyed what I played but does it open up at any point? It didn't feel like an open world game to me.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

peter gabriel posted:

I have played it up until you get your first driving mission then for whatever reason I had to quit and I sort of forgot all about it.
However the small bit that I did play felt very enclosed and claustrophobic, not open worldy at all.
I enjoyed what I played but does it open up at any point? It didn't feel like an open world game to me.
It's open world, just keep at it. Though its not definitely not as big some other open world sandboxes like Just Cause 2, Red Dead, and San Andreas.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Accordion Man posted:

It's open world, just keep at it.

OK cool thanks, I got the vibe that the parts I have played were really tutorials? If it opens up into a proper open world game then I will certainly give it another go as I love SR and crap like that.

Edit: Can you load it up and just tool around for fun for 10 mins or so like in SR etc?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

peter gabriel posted:

OK cool thanks, I got the vibe that the parts I have played were really tutorials? If it opens up into a proper open world game then I will certainly give it another go as I love SR and crap like that.
Yeah, first couple of missions are like tutorials. You'll be able to leave North Point and explore the city soon, though there will still be missions at North Point for little a while.

Also for your second question you can. It's not nearly as free as SR because its more grounded but just go to the east side of North Point and find yourself the fire truck. Then you can have some fun. :getin:

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Aug 27, 2014

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

peter gabriel posted:

The map isn't as big as some popular open world games, but it's very well crafted. I've heard people say it actually captures the feel of Hong Kong pretty well but I can't comment on that personally. I just know that despite it not being the biggest map, I loved every inch of it and Sleeping Dogs is one of the few games I beat 100% with all achievements.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

Lencho posted:

Sleeping Dogs is the best open world game I have played. Go play it NOW.

Sleeping Dogs is what it would be like to live in a John Woo action movie. Best game in the genre, best atmosphere by far.

Saint's Row 4 (and to a lesser extent 3) is everything GTA ever wanted to be. Loud, fun satire of crime stuff. SR4 is certainly the most fun in the genre. If you just want to yell HELL YEAH at your screen, play SR4. The DLC is totally optional.

GTA 5 is... not SR4. Big IMHO since this is another hailed as revolutionizing storytelling in games thing: The three main characters are ultimately flat, soulless embodiments of three archetypes of how the developers feel about the gamers. One guy is like Ray Liotta's cousing trying to play Tommy Vercetti, one guy is a bad clone of CJ from San Andreas, and then there's a character literally based on the Rampage minigames. To me it comes off as a giant middle finger. GTA5 has the worst overall fun factor of the three games, and the decreased survivability of the character makes the sandbox mode pretty useless. To be fair, and writing a giant asterisk because I admit the controls were unplayably bad at release, Vice City is still my favorite GTA.

TLDR- Don't play GTA5, just listen to Chakra Attack
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mqyi0Iv2CdI

OOOooOOoommmMMMmmmMMMmmMMMMmm....

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Kibayasu posted:

God drat it Steam midweek sale promo image

I know, the promo images for TWD don't work well for trying to keep yourself in the dark about the game. This one and the previous sale image kind of took away some of the potential surprises and that kind of sucks for a game where the enjoyment comes entirely from following the story.

Doesn't mean I didn't just buy the game and am going to be playing it soon, but I wish they would've just stuck with solo images of Clementine. First world video game problems.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, loving hell. I hope that image isn't as big a spoiler as I'd expect but it's certainly annoyed me more than it should.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

revdrkevind posted:

Sleeping Dogs is what it would be like to live in a John Woo action movie. Best game in the genre, best atmosphere by far.

Saint's Row 4 (and to a lesser extent 3) is everything GTA ever wanted to be. Loud, fun satire of crime stuff. SR4 is certainly the most fun in the genre. If you just want to yell HELL YEAH at your screen, play SR4. The DLC is totally optional.

GTA 5 is... not SR4. Big IMHO since this is another hailed as revolutionizing storytelling in games thing: The three main characters are ultimately flat, soulless embodiments of three archetypes of how the developers feel about the gamers. One guy is like Ray Liotta's cousing trying to play Tommy Vercetti, one guy is a bad clone of CJ from San Andreas, and then there's a character literally based on the Rampage minigames. To me it comes off as a giant middle finger. GTA5 has the worst overall fun factor of the three games, and the decreased survivability of the character makes the sandbox mode pretty useless. To be fair, and writing a giant asterisk because I admit the controls were unplayably bad at release, Vice City is still my favorite GTA.

TLDR- Don't play GTA5, just listen to Chakra Attack
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mqyi0Iv2CdI

OOOooOOoommmMMMmmmMMMmmMMMMmm....

Are there any decent Let's Play videos or reviews about GTA5 worth watching/reading?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

BigRed0427 posted:

Woo! Finished Saint's Row 4. Got all the homie missions and %100ed Steelport. That was fun. Does GTA 5 ever hit the highs Saint's Row does? If not then I also got Sleeping Dogs to play.

Play Sleeping Dogs. I played GTA5 not too long ago and outside of not liking the humour of the series at all since Vice City it felt really, really lifeless. Immaculately detailed in most parts, but lifeless. None of the character ever really clicked with me, the story never came together is any satisfying way, and the big selling point of the single player (the "heist" missions where you get to plan things out, hire different henchmen, etc) literally only matters to a significant degree during one mission, and its the very first one. I'm told the multiplayer is great but I don't have any interest in it so I can't say for sure or not. Honestly the worst part of GTA5 is that it isn't even that fun to just go around shoot at things any more because a single cop with a pistol can kill you in a few seconds if you aren't in cover.

Sleeping Dogs has its own problems (most of them due to the cuts that had to be made after Activision dropped it) but I rarely felt bored or completely disconnected from the world, story, or characters.

• Locked thread