Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Icy Penguigo
Nov 7, 2010

Star Man posted:

The other thing I'm interested in knowing is if a card in PanZ is an identical reprint of a Score card, can I play with the older edition? The Saiyan mastery previewed is obviously not okay since it has a different title, but would Confrontation be okay?

That Saiyan Mastery (and a handful of other cards previewed) has already been tweaked and is no longer a direct reprint, but that aside, this is all still being worked out internally. Last I heard, they were leaning towards allowing reprints of old cards if their effects hadn't changed. The company is also making a concerted effort to not release a bunch of unique/rare promos. Most of the promos will be alternate art cards.

I appreciate the effort that Retro has put into reviving the community, but I also do not support most of Retro's changes. Their cards are unbalanced and untested, and generally do not feel like cards from the old game. They also changed certain rules and cards with little or no reason and no feedback from the community. It alienated a lot of the better players and makes the format feel overpowered and unpredictable. I like the guys in charge of it enough, just don't like the format.

The new game is being released with a design focus on simplicity and accessibility. I do not expect this game to have a long rules document or constant changes. The rulebook is also considerably shorter and cleaner.

Icy Penguigo fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Aug 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
That's good. I was the rules lawyer in my playgroup out in the sticks in Wyoming, so it would be tough to communicate those rules because of our rather casual environment.

I remember the Retro DBZ people trying to change the sensei deck rules and that changing them to be the same as the GT sensei deck rules were on the list of options. Which in all honesty it should have been in the first place when the card type was introduced in World Games Saga. The whole idea of the cards that you take out are random instead of selected was also really dumb. Oops, I just swapped out one of my Dragon Balls I need for my Dragon Ball victory deck.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I bought a shitload of Rage cards at the Gencon auction for 15 bucks. These cards combined with the thousand or so cards I had in the basement... I need to relearn this game. Is there a good site for this long dead game?

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

I still have all my DBZ cards collecting dust in the closet, including a few decks that are still sleeved up. I hope they bring back Tuff Enough.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Star Man posted:

That's good. I was the rules lawyer in my playgroup out in the sticks in Wyoming, so it would be tough to communicate those rules because of our rather casual environment.

I remember the Retro DBZ people trying to change the sensei deck rules and that changing them to be the same as the GT sensei deck rules were on the list of options. Which in all honesty it should have been in the first place when the card type was introduced in World Games Saga. The whole idea of the cards that you take out are random instead of selected was also really dumb. Oops, I just swapped out one of my Dragon Balls I need for my Dragon Ball victory deck.

The sensei rules always seemed weird to me, but unfortunately changing the sensei deck to include all cards meant Hercules Amazing Techniques became stupid as gently caress, especially since they lifted the 1 per deck on it so suddenly your sensei deck was just 8+ cards that you could use whenever you had a HAT in hand. Talks with testers this weekend heavily implied there won't be any side decks in this game, but we'll see.

Icy Penguigo
Nov 7, 2010

soscannonballs posted:

I still have all my DBZ cards collecting dust in the closet, including a few decks that are still sleeved up. I hope they bring back Tuff Enough.

I think it's likely that Tuff Enuff will exist in some form. Retro will continue running Tuff Enuff tournaments because they're popular/fun and Aik always liked Tuff Enuff. Set one in Panini Z looks like it will already be Tuff Enuff in spirit (dragonball will not really be viable as a primary win condition, and there are no "win condition cards".) The only real change would be not allowing decks to win by most powerful personality. Take that, Red and sort of Namekian!

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Yeah the DBZ scene on the west coast didn't happen. We had too much of a foothold for really aggressively complex CCGs. So at that time the secondary non-Magic market was heavily biased towards AEG/L5R and for a time Shadowfist and Game of Thrones depending on your area.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Ho boy, I just dropped $30 for all five Comic Con promos on eBay. Can't seem to find anywhere besides eBay to pre-order any product. Hopefully I can find people in Denver that are interested in the game.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Star Man posted:

Every set came with its staple cards, but I think the biggest problem of that game was that so many power cards and key cards for certain decks were ultra rares and promos.

I really hope we left mechanically unique promos in the 90s where they belong.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Star Man posted:

Ho boy, I just dropped $30 for all five Comic Con promos on eBay. Can't seem to find anywhere besides eBay to pre-order any product. Hopefully I can find people in Denver that are interested in the game.

Does that include the God Goku promo, because word on the street is that card is basically never coming back ever again outside of random already-printed ones coming out as splash prizes in random tourneys so expect that poo poo to be gold. It's also an incredibly good card (but the dream combo with the Red mastery doesn't work anymore so at least that isn't happening).

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Yeah, it's all five cards.

I also just looked at the regular Goku card and saw that his highest power stage is 9,001. We just can't let that stupid meme die.

Icy Penguigo
Nov 7, 2010

Star Man posted:

I know a bunch of distributors and can probably hook you up with one. There are at least two or three people selling product on the Retro DBZ Discussion Facebook page, including the person I'm buying my product from.

Star Man posted:

Yeah, it's all five cards.

I also just looked at the regular Goku card and saw that his highest power stage is 9,001. We just can't let that stupid meme die.

It is not the only or the most direct reference in the first set to that meme. I groaned when I read both cards.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Icy Penguigo posted:

It is not the only or the most direct reference in the first set to that meme. I groaned when I read both cards.

Yeeeeeeeep.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I just saw the other one. At least there's an analog to Aura Clash even if it means having to live like it's 2006 again. I'm looking at the demo decks on the Retro DBZ site and god drat they need to provide larger images without me having to click on them again to see them.

If there's one thing I hope gets reprinted, it's all three rare blue cards from Cell Saga. Those were pretty fun cards and I still regret to this day never playing blue Krillin beatdown before World Games Saga. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK I'm way too excited about this.

I also like that "removed from the game" and some other terms have been keyworded and that a few keywords have been borrowed from the DBGT TCG. The text on these cards still seem like they could use a little bit of cleaning up, "his" should be "his or her", and the keyword "remain" could stand to come back, but I'm sure that'll be ironed out over time.

Icy Penguigo posted:

I know a bunch of distributors and can probably hook you up with one. There are at least two or three people selling product on the Retro DBZ Discussion Facebook page, including the person I'm buying my product from.

That would be fantastic. I'm going to see if anywhere I like to go to in Denver is picking this up first, but I'll send you a PM if Black Gold or Denver Central Games isn't getting this stuff and if I can't convince either to.

Star Man fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Aug 19, 2014

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Aura Clash sounds decidedly less dumb now since character abilities generally get better when you level up now, instead of just sorta being random before. A lot of decks were based around your level 1 power, like PTT and Roshi, and without a Ki Push you were just sorta stranded after getting aura clashed. Now cards have a natural progression most of the time, like how Trunks looks at more and more cards on the top of the decks.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Yeah, that's a good thing too. A handful of personalities did get progressively better the further along they leveled up, like Trunks Saga Frieza 1-3, Uub, Tapkar, Supreme West Kai, and Zarbon. When I played orange Android 19, I would always try to reach level 3 because it was such an amazing personality power. But you're right, everything revolved around the best level one powers. I'd always try to build around Aura Clash and choose good level two and higher powers and you'd luck out sometimes with certain personalities like Cell's level two, but the decks that hinged on a main personality's level one were always hosed by it.

Though I do remember when there was an errata to Piccolo, the Trained that made him gain two anger every time his power was used and it actually made the card even better. Get to WGS level two, use the personality power, play Namekian's Strike and tutor for Supreme Kai's Ki Push, and start the whole chain over again. God drat was that deck stupid and amazing. Too bad I didn't get my playset of Namekian's Strikes until a week after the deck was killed.

Icy Penguigo
Nov 7, 2010

Star Man posted:

Though I do remember when there was an errata to Piccolo, the Trained that made him gain two anger every time his power was used and it actually made the card even better. Get to WGS level two, use the personality power, play Namekian's Strike and tutor for Supreme Kai's Ki Push, and start the whole chain over again. God drat was that deck stupid and amazing. Too bad I didn't get my playset of Namekian's Strikes until a week after the deck was killed.

This was just part of an unbelievable series of Score blunders that year. They accidentally buffed PTT with the anger change you mentioned, then at Worlds they handed out copies of Piccolo's Power Ball and Vegeta's Energy Focus, two important but rare promos for the deck. Finally, they released an alternate foil promo of Vegeta's Jolting Slash but forgot to put "remove from game after use" in the text, and due to the "most recent printing" rule, all copies of the card were no longer removed from the game after use. Needless to say, both decks in the finals were PTT Namekian and a huge percentage of the people (500+) at the tournament were using PTT Namekian as well.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I think the only other question I have about Panini DBZ is about the starter decks. The listings I'm seeing on eBay and other websites taking pre-orders have deals for starter decks A and B. Are there only two different starter decks or are there several. Trying to figure out oif I should get a starter box or just one of each.

Icy Penguigo
Nov 7, 2010

Star Man posted:

I think the only other question I have about Panini DBZ is about the starter decks. The listings I'm seeing on eBay and other websites taking pre-orders have deals for starter decks A and B. Are there only two different starter decks or are there several. Trying to figure out oif I should get a starter box or just one of each.

There are six characters that you can only get in starter decks. Each one is always paired with the same mastery. After that, the core of the deck will be one of two possible core decks.

From what I've seen the starter deck cards are solid, and you'll need 3 of each type of starter deck to get playsets of the starter deck cards, and 6 decks total to get each character and mastery. The easy way to get everything would be to buy a starter box, but you can buy half a starter box and trade/buy whatever you're missing.

The starter deck packages all look the same (no villain/hero separation or anything) so there's no way of picking out one of each core deck before hand. They're completely random.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Weird. And I saw on the Facebook page that the release has been pushed back to October. Gives me a little more time to save up.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Star Man posted:

Weird. And I saw on the Facebook page that the release has been pushed back to October. Gives me a little more time to save up.

Didn't it get moved back to like the second week of September?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
No, it's now set for October 17 according to their Facebook page. Product will be shipping on October 8th. Of course people are already bitching and moaning, but that's the date that Panini itself seems to have set and told the people running the Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/paninidbz

Icy Penguigo
Nov 7, 2010

Star Man posted:

No, it's now set for October 17 according to their Facebook page. Product will be shipping on October 8th. Of course people are already bitching and moaning, but that's the date that Panini itself seems to have set and told the people running the Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/paninidbz

Yeah, that's the first hard date Panini has announced, it's not likely to change at this point. I would be thankful for having a few extra weeks to save up, but I'm actually putting my order in this Friday.

Icy Penguigo fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Aug 27, 2014

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Icy Penguigo posted:

Yeah, that's the first hard date Panini has announced, it's not likely to change at this point. I would be thankful for having a few extra weeks to save up, but I'm actually putting my order in this Friday.

Where are you ordering from? Both stores I frequent don't have any plans to order product yet. One told me that they've gotten some interest from other people, but they don't know yet.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Star Man posted:

Where are you ordering from? Both stores I frequent don't have any plans to order product yet. One told me that they've gotten some interest from other people, but they don't know yet.

http://www.potomacdist.com/list.asp?class=game

Icy Penguigo
Nov 7, 2010

Those are pretty good deals! I'm ordering from a friend and I believe he's out of product, but he didn't beat those prices by very much.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
So I recently discovered that the Decipher Star Wars CCG, which I loved, didn't die after all, it just went digital. That's awesome! I'm psyched about it!

I've also gone crosseyed looking at all these new cards and mechanics and poo poo. What's it like now? When it died I was playing a Light Side dueling deck that consistently got whupped by Cloud City shenanigans and was planning on switching to Dark Side death star so I could just loving blow stupid loving Bespin up.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

CapnAndy posted:

So I recently discovered that the Decipher Star Wars CCG, which I loved, didn't die after all, it just went digital. That's awesome! I'm psyched about it!

I've also gone crosseyed looking at all these new cards and mechanics and poo poo. What's it like now? When it died I was playing a Light Side dueling deck that consistently got whupped by Cloud City shenanigans and was planning on switching to Dark Side death star so I could just loving blow stupid loving Bespin up.

Never Tell Me the Odds!

I loved playing Numbers decks.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
The World Championships were last weekend my friend who attended said there was a good turnout. The Player's Committee just rebooted the virtual sets so it's a great time to get back in. The V cards have reinvigorated the game and allowed orphaned deck concepts to be competitive again.

Ninjawhale
Dec 12, 2013
Weiss Schwarz

Weiss Schwarz is a CCG made by Bushiroad. It has recently started to release sets in english. Each set is a different anime. Some of the sets in english are Sword Art Online, Fate/Zero, Madoka Magica, and Fairytale is being released in December. Japan as a lot more sets.

The goal of the game is to essentially deal 28 damage to your opponent.

The Level of the card and the amount of stock (this games resource) are in the top left corner. In this case the Level is 3 and the cost is 2. The top right corner is the trigger. In the bottom right is the character's power. The cards soul, the amount of damage the card deals, are the fluers-de-lis next to the power. The character's types are next to those.
You build stock through attacking the opponent. When a character attacks, you reveal the top card of your deck, check for a trigger, and put the card face down in the stock area. When you take damage, you put the top cards your deck into the damage zone. There is another type of card called a Climax. While taking damage if one of those cards is revealed to be a climax, you stop taking damage and put all the cards into the waiting room(discard pile). If you have 7 damage, you choose one of those cards to be put in the level zone and the others go to the waiting room.
When you attack you deal damage, then compare the power of the characters involved. The character with the lower power is reversed(turned upside down), and then later put into the waiting room. You can pay three stock to save it.

I tried to get the core of the game play, but I may have explained things poorly or missed things. If you have questions, please ask. I love this card game, and want it to be more popular. Even if you do not like anime, it is a solid game.

Edit: just decided to do a short write-up.

Ninjawhale fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Sep 3, 2014

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
That's a lot of text for a card. I hope it's 4x6 or something.

That character also has only ribbons covering her tits.

Ninjawhale
Dec 12, 2013

Star Man posted:

That's a lot of text for a card. I hope it's 4x6 or something.

Most cards don't have near that much text. And yes she has ribbons covering her titties. The other sets dont have that kind of art.

MagusProject
Apr 20, 2008

Star Man posted:

That's Kill La Kill/Anime card games for you.

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

How similar is it to the other Bushiroad cardgames? In my experience they've all been pretty flawed and while Vanguard was ok, Buddy Fight was boring and lovely.

And yeah the text dumps in some of those games were pretty ridiculous too.

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

The power of the Outsider is

...dat ass
:yosbutt:

Hortism posted:

How similar is it to the other Bushiroad cardgames? In my experience they've all been pretty flawed and while Vanguard was ok, Buddy Fight was boring and lovely.

And yeah the text dumps in some of those games were pretty ridiculous too.

Vanguard is to Weiss Schwarz roughly as Duel Masters / Kaijudo is to Magic as far as I can tell from reading the rules.

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

I don't know enough about Duel Masters to really know what that means, but I'm going to assume that Weiss is a more tactically advanced version of Vanguard?

Ninjawhale
Dec 12, 2013
The game is a lot deeper than vanguard. A lot more strategy and card interactions.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
The Panini DBZ Blog is now up. There is a link to the rulesbook's PDF file so you can refresh your memory of the game and see what's different.

Though the most striking things that I see are different is that there's not mention of Saiyan or Namekian heritage.

Star Man fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Sep 11, 2014

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Star Man posted:

The Panini DBZ Blog is now up. There is a link to the rulesbook's PDF file so you can refresh your memory of the game and see what's different.

Though the most striking things that I see are different is that there's not mention of Saiyan or Namekian heritage.

Perhaps more importantly, said rulebook also lists Ginyu's first two cards, as well as an example ally, Bulma.

Ginyu level 1 is a generic Ally personality and probably has some cool options in Blue, Black, and Orange, and his level 2 is pretty nuts if you've gotten out some Ginyu Force allies; I assume his higher levels will preform increasingly stronger attacks when you have Ginyu Force allies out or something.

Bulma might be this game's Caught Off Guard Drill. It's not identical, but there's definitely some overlap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Is there any 'community' around the Pokemon card game that's a thing? Like, my friend got me one of the theme decks as a birthday gift using logic I really can't fault of 'oh poo poo Tatum Girlparts likes pokemon a lot and he plays card games, and this has a pokemon he likes on it' but I haven't played since I was like, a little kid.

Like, has this children's card game tied to a video game exploded or something? Apparently there was a big section of these cards. This is the TCG that put up a big free online version that had the whole 'yea you can get cards here or you can buy real cards and get them here too' thing right? Is that a big thing?

• Locked thread