Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anal Papist
Jun 2, 2011

Gone Home is basically a 5 minute demo of octodad, minus the gameplay of over coming the control system, and the puzzles and tasks, but with added lesbians and 90's kids will get this memes.

10/10 GOTY

On September 11, 2013, The Fullbright Company announced that the game had sold more than 50,000 copies.[25] On February 7, 2014, it was announced that the game has sold 250,000 copies.[26]

After Polygon's perfect 10/10 review of the game,[17] they gave it their Game of the Year 2013 award.[27]

The game won the 2013 BAFTA Video Game Award for "Best Debut Title" while nominated for "Best Story".[28][29]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Froghammer posted:

On the other hand, because the money's coming from a bunch of smaller sources there's significantly less accountability. Ludovico Sforza could afford to go tell Leonardo da Vinci "Here's a bunch of money, go create something with it" in part because he knew that if Leonardo didn't come up with something, he'd be less likely to get similar deals in the future from other prospective patrons.

There's also the fact that Leonardo da Vinci was one of the greatest artistic geniuses to ever walk the Earth and Zoe Quinn is a fat narcissist/sociopath/sadbrain/general crazy person who can barely string together a bunch of text using a template.

Design Spots
Jan 24, 2009

by XyloJW

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

There's also the fact that Leonardo da Vinci was one of the greatest artistic geniuses to ever walk the Earth and Zoe Quinn is a fat narcissist/sociopath/sadbrain/general crazy person who can barely string together a bunch of text using a template.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SK4yM5csn_A

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Anal Papist posted:

Gone Home is basically a 5 minute demo of octodad, minus the gameplay of over coming the control system, and the puzzles and tasks, but with added lesbians and 90's kids will get this memes.

10/10 GOTY

On September 11, 2013, The Fullbright Company announced that the game had sold more than 50,000 copies.[25] On February 7, 2014, it was announced that the game has sold 250,000 copies.[26]

After Polygon's perfect 10/10 review of the game,[17] they gave it their Game of the Year 2013 award.[27]

The game won the 2013 BAFTA Video Game Award for "Best Debut Title" while nominated for "Best Story".[28][29]

The conspiracy reaches all the way to Britain, maybe even the crown?

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

Ardennes posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zj6w1WfBLuM

Design Spots
Jan 24, 2009

by XyloJW
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMzCAmPVzhQ

Rad Tad
Jul 2, 2014

miasmata was pretty cool but proteus was hot loving garbage after roughly 5 seconds when i stopped hearing new sound effects

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Ardennes posted:

Zoe Quinn is way too old for the British to be interested in her.

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

lmao

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

haha

Fisticuffs
Aug 9, 2007

Okay you a goon but what's a goon to a goblin?
Zoe and her ex are both so hopelessly lame I can't turn away.

According to what Zoe's ex wrote about S, she has some sort of emotional trauma wherein even making out would result in weeks of panic attacks. Where the gently caress do you find these people

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

http://oppressionquest.com/

No I don't care if someone posted it already

Nebelwerfer
Jul 25, 2008

He carried our avenging steel over the Rhine,
He drank the emperor's toast from the Danube.

Fisticuffs posted:

According to what Zoe's ex wrote about S, she has some sort of emotional trauma wherein even making out would result in weeks of panic attacks. Where the gently caress do you find these people

Internet

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Anal Papist posted:

10/10 GOTY

I'm looking at other games that released 2013 and jesus christ there's so much better stuff. Even if you're only looking at Indie stuff, there's still games like Antichamber or Little Inferno.

Yivgev
May 19, 2004

i brought my +1 ak-47

O_______________________O

Vag Assault Weapon
Aug 12, 2014

Fisticuffs posted:

hmm woman has panic attacks at the slightest bit of intimacy I wonder what could have happened in her past to possibly warrant such a thing hmm

I'm going with identity theft

Vag Assault Weapon fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Aug 27, 2014

Nebelwerfer
Jul 25, 2008

He carried our avenging steel over the Rhine,
He drank the emperor's toast from the Danube.

lol what a pussy

loving nerds

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Fisticuffs
Aug 9, 2007

Okay you a goon but what's a goon to a goblin?

Vag Assault Weapon posted:

hmm woman has panic attacks at the slightest bit of intimacy I wonder what could have happened in her past to possibly warrant such a thing hmm

I'm going with identity theft

She was obvs cucked

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
I guess the upshot of all this is to just not trust reviews of inde games.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

The Dennis System posted:

Gaming "Journalism" in general in my opinion. *hunts for that soundcloud of kotaku dude convo with the gods of war dev for making poo poo up about him*

So I'll repost:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cd13fE5WJ3c

Shadow Puppet Of
Feb 13, 2014

If I worked there I'd have freaked out long ago and smeared toner all over my naked body, flopping around to spell out "I TOLD YOU SO!" on the carpet until campus security could drag me away.
:xbone:

In an age when the full list of upcoming, in development games sorted by genre is publicly accessible across wikis and everywhere else, with the cost of a full rich-media website starting at just dollars per month, there is no reason at all to even have Game Journalists anymore aside from enjoying hating a broken institution.

"Here is a video of our game's gameplay, watch it and judge for yourself!"

Its not 1994 anymore where PC Gamer and Uncles That Work For Nintendo are the only conduit of information. How have we not been able to move past these lovely humans that become worthless two days after launch. None of them give a gently caress about post-release support. Its like one of those awful states that forbid self-serve gas and we collectively hallucinate the need for someone to guide the information nozzle into the information tank.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Fluo posted:

Gaming "Journalism" in general in my opinion. *hunts for that soundcloud of kotaku dude convo with the gods of war dev for making poo poo up about him*

So I'll repost:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cd13fE5WJ3c

Here you go.

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

Except that the furor isn't even around what most people would think of as Indie Games, it's the underground of the underground of Indie Games who define themselves around social progressiveness.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Nice recap of the biased Gone Home review.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Nebelwerfer posted:

lol what a pussy

loving nerds

He made the absolute smallest, most token gesture possible and he's gonna backtrack on it. What a pantywaist.

Rad Tad
Jul 2, 2014

lol got mad that the no klepek chrome extension doesn't work on headlined giant bomb stories but then realised patrick klepek's newest story is him copy pasting a dave lang speech

Shadow Puppet Of
Feb 13, 2014

If I worked there I'd have freaked out long ago and smeared toner all over my naked body, flopping around to spell out "I TOLD YOU SO!" on the carpet until campus security could drag me away.

Rad Tad posted:

lol got mad that the no klepek chrome extension doesn't work on headlined giant bomb stories but then realised patrick klepek's newest story is him copy pasting a dave lang speech

How do you survive with out Pat's, sorry, 'Scoops'' ability to throw up a hot press release from out of his inbox and append up to a dozen keywords plus a tagline. That is investigative long form journalism at its best.

Vag Assault Weapon
Aug 12, 2014

BigFatFlyingBloke posted:

Except that the furor isn't even around what most people would think of as Indie Games, it's the underground of the underground of Indie Games who define themselves around social progressiveness.

This. I don't know poo poo about gaming so at first I thought this was actually influential and important indie people but nah it's just a group of nobodies that mean nothing to the world of indie development but don't let that stop them from trying to convince you how important they are with grand stories.

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

VJeff posted:

He made the absolute smallest, most token gesture possible and he's gonna backtrack on it. What a pantywaist.

Offering any kind of ground to the kinds of people involved in this kind of affair is a complete waste of time. There's no apology or concession that will ever satisfy them.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

BigFatFlyingBloke posted:

So is the issue that some girl cheated with a much of guys and started a poo poo storm or "social progressiveness?" If it is about social progressiveness, how isn't this just another battleground for culture wars that happen all the time outside of gaming?

Also, you probably shouldn't trust any game reviews especially AAA games who actually have a budget to pressure/buy reviews and you probably shouldn't buy pre-orders.

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

Ardennes posted:

So is the issue that some girl cheated with a much of guys and started a poo poo storm or "social progressiveness?" If it is about social progressiveness, how isn't this just another battleground for culture wars that happen all the time outside of gaming?

Also, you probably shouldn't trust any game reviews especially AAA games who actually have a budget to pressure/buy reviews and you probably shouldn't buy pre-orders.

i'm not sure if i bumped my head somewhere, am just overtired, or if the first sentence makes no sense :confused:

Shadow Puppet Of
Feb 13, 2014

I think the bigger point is that as soon as they acknowledge a responsibility towards avoiding even the appearance of a conflict of interest, the whole Games Writer con collapses under the weight of not going to junkets, not getting free stuff, not having PR people pretend to befriend you, not being able to be entirely beholden to a handful of large companies for early 'news' and not being able to wield influence rather than impotently report.

Once a site admits there is a problem with the industry they'll have people expecting transparency and change. Everyone from site owners, editors, writers to unpaid freelancers knows that its all unsustainable without the many forms of corruption that keep it afloat.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Big companies don't need game journalists and are starting to cut ties – Nintendo now releases almost all of their information via public streams because why wouldn't you? And since the concept "investigative journalism" is entirely foreign to Kotaku and the rest, they have absolutely nothing to contribute to mayor companies.
The problem lies smaller companies who aren't big enough to advertise themselves and have to rely on word of mouth. Indiecade is supposed to spotlight just these games, but when you have stuff like Zoe loving the head of Night Games and then have her game appear amongst the showcase it's hard to take this poo poo serious.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

i'm not sure if i bumped my head somewhere, am just overtired, or if the first sentence makes no sense :confused:

Is "Quinngate" about her being nuts and garbage or is it basically about liberals?

quote:

I think the bigger point is that as soon as they acknowledge a responsibility towards avoiding even the appearance of a conflict of interest, the whole Games Writer con collapses under the weight of not going to junkets, not getting free stuff, not having PR people pretend to befriend you, not being able to be entirely beholden to a handful of large companies for early 'news' and not being able to wield influence rather than impotently report.

Once a site admits there is a problem with the industry they'll have people expecting transparency and change. Everyone from site owners, editors, writers to unpaid freelancers knows that its all unsustainable without the many forms of corruption that keep it afloat.

Pretty much and "Games Journalism" is pretty much dying off as a result, in recent years there has been a bunch of closures and layoffs. Gamespot has cut a bunch of their live content and Giantbomb seems to one of the only outlets I know of that actually sees increased traffic. Giantbomb will probably be the future model since the content is mostly about comedic value, and they might keep a vestigial ""journalist"" around like Patrick. They barely post reviews at this point.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Aug 27, 2014

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

Ardennes posted:

Is "Quinngate" about her being nuts and garbage or is it basically about liberals?

Oh, in that case, yes.

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
I encourage children who are bullied to kill themselves. In fact, I get off to it. Pedophilia-snuff films are the best. More abused children need to kill themselves.
Shots fired!

http://negat0ry.tumblr.com/post/95865035167/an-open-letter-to-zoe-quinn-from-that-girl-you-hate-to

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Ardennes posted:

Quinngate is pulling on a loose thread on your sweater only to keep pulling and pulling, expecting it to stop, but there just keeps coming more and more and you just wonder how people have been selling this lovely sweater for so long.

Also

She probably added that "effective" after 4chan found out iFred is a terrible charity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

horriblePencilist posted:

Big companies don't need game journalists and are starting to cut ties – Nintendo now releases almost all of their information via public streams because why wouldn't you? And since the concept "investigative journalism" is entirely foreign to Kotaku and the rest, they have absolutely nothing to contribute to mayor companies.

Nintendo probably got so loving sick of being told how doomed they are and decided, "fine, we'll skip over you straight to the consumer." Which gave us stuff like Treehouse, so, hooray!

I also remember Iwata posted an unboxing video of the Wii U himself and that really pissed the journos off :lol:

• Locked thread