Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

excuse me I find being asked for citations triggering

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

horriblePencilist posted:

Then he should make these statements elsewhere. Hell, twitlonger exists for just that. This guy writes for The Guardian, he should know how to properly express an opinion.

The Gruniad in many aspects is tumblr made flesh paper.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

The Family Guy argument and the above backpedaling is so frustrating I can't stand it.

"He said something sexist!"

"What do you think was sexist?"

"I DIDN'T SAY IT WAS SEXIST YOU SOCKPUPPET!"

I both love this drama and hate that it exists in the first place.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Zoe's ex refused to answer certain questions.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Vag Assault Weapon posted:

That owns.

Pretty much how every conversation involved with any of the people associated with that little retard clique are going to go now, any time they try that poo poo there's going to be fifty people asking for citations for every one of their claims.

I look forward to the near future when they start calling it harassment when people want proof of claims.

Look, it's just Twitter, a silly micro-blogging service. I don't have to be serious or prove anything, alright?
Although, I'll probably call the police, if you make an inappropriate joke.

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Mazzletoff posted:

I don't even know what JonTron did last night, but if it pissed off Anthony "Game Figuratively Written By Reddit" Burch I think it must have been pretty good.

He posted this as proof that men are sexually objectified too, okay, us guys got it just as bad as girls do only different.

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

madeupfred posted:

He posted this as proof that men are sexually objectified too guys us guys got it just as bad as girls do only different.

i find this very problematic

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf

Alan_Shore posted:

The Family Guy argument and the above backpedaling is so frustrating I can't stand it.

"He said something sexist!"

"What do you think was sexist?"

"I DIDN'T SAY IT WAS SEXIST YOU SOCKPUPPET!"

I both love this drama and hate that it exists in the first place.

how could you post something so sexist?

The General
Mar 4, 2007

What's the general opinion of Anita Sarkeesian? I'm just curious. Her name gets dropped a lot during these debates, and I guess I'd just like a status update, as I haven't heard poo poo about her since she released her first Tropes vs. Videogames video.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

The General posted:

What's the general opinion of Anita Sarkeesian? I'm just curious. Her name gets dropped a lot during these debates, and I guess I'd just like a status update, as I haven't heard poo poo about her since she released her first Tropes vs. Videogames video.

anything wrong with her (maybe nothing, maybe a little bit) is ten times worse in the army of sexist detractors that follows her every move.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

The General posted:

Anita wakes up in the morning and voluntarily threads giant metal hoops into her ears. Clearly she's not all there.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

tbqh far cry 3 was even worse than borderlands

Stayton
May 20, 2006

A girl who will put you in a full nelson is worth fighting for.

The General posted:

She's boring and tends to make everything about her.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Fatkraken posted:

anything wrong with her (maybe nothing, maybe a little bit) is ten times worse in the army of sexist detractors that follows her every move.

Yes, I just looked at her twitter. And the vile poo poo people send her way is incredible. I don't even have that kind of hate for people I seriously loving hate.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
she's boring, smug, over financed for basic poo poo and misrepresents a gently caress ton of stuff she presents, but she's famous because people hate her

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

Vag Assault Weapon posted:

I look forward to the near future when they start calling it harassment when people want proof of claims.

You're in luck

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
I encourage children who are bullied to kill themselves. In fact, I get off to it. Pedophilia-snuff films are the best. More abused children need to kill themselves.
Oh well at least 4Chan is hard at work plotting to rake her over the coals with regard to the tax she probably doesn't pay on a bunch of her 'earnings'.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

madeupfred posted:

He posted this as proof that men are sexually objectified too, okay, us guys got it just as bad as girls do only different.

Bullshit, Anthony is a massive white knight who constantly mourns how sorry he is for being born a privileged white man.

Also Anita recently claimed she was harassed and sent death threats. Of course there's no proof and even though she thought it was serious she tweeted about it before thinking to report it to the police. And 4chan is being blamed for it.

Mazzletoff
Dec 17, 2012

wake me up
before you jojo

The General posted:

Yes, I just looked at her twitter. And the vile poo poo people send her way is incredible. I don't even have that kind of hate for people I seriously loving hate.

According to this thread she's deleting supportive comments for some reason.

e: this is pretty much how I feel about her videos, in any case. So I don't watch them.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

madeupfred posted:

He's right about that. If girls can have their views of their role in society warped by over sexualization or being portrayed as helpless, guys can have their understanding of their role warped by over masculinization and being portrayed as heroes or warriors. It's not unusual for guys to have body dysmorphia issues from stuff like this, resulting in the guys who obsess over working out in the gym, and I'd bet it sets up a lot of the foundation for "bro culture", I'm not actually sure what term to use here, but you know the type of guys who always puts up an obviously over the top masculine front to the point of being obnoxious. You can see these roles even in the abusive tweets put forth by the people defending Zoe. They'll make accusations of slut shaming or misogyny, and in the same tweet call people virgins or little boys or otherwise attack maleness.

One of the most hosed up things about this controversy is how abusive and bullying this group of people can be, while putting themselves forward as being against any kind of mistreatment, and claiming the reason they are upset is because of harassment. JonTron didn't really do anything wrong except disagree with them and refuse to bow to their rules, and this is how they react to that:

There's pages and pages of that.

More:

XK fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Aug 27, 2014

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
the funny thing about anita is that her influence over the industry (seriously, not my words; she's been hyped as one of the most influential figures in gaming for chrissake) wouldn't have amounted to anything if people hadn't poo poo themselves silly over her. like a reverse zoe i guess.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

The General posted:

Her big hoop earrings annoy the gently caress outta me.

Yivgev
May 19, 2004

i brought my +1 ak-47

so who are these people

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Also Anita recently claimed she was harassed and sent death threats. Of course there's no proof and even though she thought it was serious she tweeted about it before thinking to report it to the police. And 4chan is being blamed for it.

Looking at her twitter for 30 seconds, I'm not sure she (or any vocal feminist) really needs any proof of death threats. It's unfortunately (and disgustingly) pretty much a given. Though I would like some proof when blaming people/groups.

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

Of course there's no proof and even though she thought it was serious she tweeted about it before thinking to report it to the police.

The progressive way to deal with death threats is clearly to collect them like testimonials or little J.D. Power trophies and use them to promote your Patreon account

Geez get with the times

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

poptart_fairy posted:

the funny thing about anita is that her influence over the industry (seriously, not my words; she's been hyped as one of the most influential figures in gaming for chrissake) wouldn't have amounted to anything if people hadn't poo poo themselves silly over her. like a reverse zoe i guess.

She's influenced shitheads into being lovely specifically in her direction, but other than that she hasn't really changed the industry personally.

It's like a self fulfilling prophecy, the people who hate her would do her FAR more damage by completely ignoring her, but they just cannot help themselves and lend her more credibility with every unpleasant tweet and angry blog post.

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

poptart_fairy posted:

the funny thing about anita is that her influence over the industry (seriously, not my words; she's been hyped as one of the most influential figures in gaming for chrissake)

It owned when some magazine ran a "100 most influential people in gaming" article and had her ranked above like Shigeru Miyamoto and Gabe Newell

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Fatkraken posted:

She's influenced shitheads into being lovely specifically in her direction, but other than that she hasn't really changed the industry personally.

It's like a self fulfilling prophecy, the people who hate her would do her FAR more damage by completely ignoring her, but they just cannot help themselves and lend her more credibility with every unpleasant tweet and angry blog post.

well yeah, not denying that. Just find it funny! just ignore the dreamworks smirking girl and problem solved. all she's doing is pointing at stuff and yelling PROBLEMATIC without actually doing anything beyond that. way way way too much praise for what she actually does.

not justifying the poo poo thrown at her though, that's nasty yo

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

I'm sorry guys, it was me, I bought Gone Home (during summer sale). I just like games where you walk around and explore stuff. :smith:

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Lobster Harmonica posted:

It owned when some magazine ran a "100 most influential people in gaming" article and had her ranked above like Shigeru Miyamoto and Gabe Newell

How the hell is Miyamoto not #1? :psyduck: Who was #1?

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Lobster Harmonica posted:

Could Shigeru Miyamoto have made thousands of repressed angry nerds out themselves in public as horrible people just by making some boring poorly cited videos saying "uh, guys, maybe this medium that's still at the stage of being largely about little boy's power fantasies is a bit sexist"?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

The General posted:

Her videos aren't great to say the least, but she does bring up some valid points.

poptart_fairy posted:

she's boring, smug, over financed for basic poo poo and misrepresents a gently caress ton of stuff she presents, but she's famous because people hate her
Or this.

Yivgev
May 19, 2004

i brought my +1 ak-47

Fatkraken posted:

Could Shigeru Miyamoto have made thousands of repressed angry nerds out themselves in public as horrible people just by making some boring poorly cited videos saying "uh, guys, maybe this medium that's still at the stage of being largely about little boy's power fantasies is a bit sexist"?

he cant speak english

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug
Cargo-cult sociology. Has occasional good points hidden in a whole load of garbage. Her videos also tend to be presented in a way that it's clear they are intended for people who already hold the same views she does to nod along respectively to rather than to convince people to her point of view.

For example privilege is a completely valid idea that makes sense and is a useful thought experiment for understanding the filters people use to view the world. Unfortunately she uses that concept like a blunt instrument to bludgeon people with and the not as a tool for facilitating dialogue.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

poptart_fairy posted:

well yeah, not denying that. Just find it funny! just ignore the dreamworks smirking girl and problem solved. all she's doing is pointing at stuff and yelling PROBLEMATIC without actually doing anything beyond that. way way way too much praise for what she actually does.

not justifying the poo poo thrown at her though, that's nasty yo

The General posted:

How the hell is Miyamoto not #1? :psyduck: Who was #1?

I'm serious when I say I think her place was justified, not because what she's saying is particularly new or interesting (it's all been said a hundred times before, and better with more suggestions for change, by a hundred other people) but because of the unbelievably lovely and disproportionate response it's attracted from people claiming to be the "gaming community". Her videos have, through no particular fault or merit, made a lot of people out themselves as horrible, horrible people, and I think that IS important, especially when it comes to the wider public perception of self described "gamers"

(also, I think the list was current, not historical, historical lists are boring because they're pretty much the same every year with a few shuffles and the odd new guy creeping in near the bottom. Miyamoto is enormously influential in gaming history, but he hasn't changed things recently)

Fluo
May 25, 2007

I went to check his twitter and saw this.

The image is abit dated but it was:

Fluo fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Aug 27, 2014

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Holy loving poo poo people care about this way too much

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

The General posted:

How the hell is Miyamoto not #1?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Fatkraken posted:

I don't know. There certainly was some shift lately. I very much doubt that Rayman's sudden change of sexy curvy nymphs into reasonably portrayed playable characters wasn't at least partially influenced by the whole Tropes v Women debacle. And Gone Home got raging reviews partially because Anita supported this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The General
Mar 4, 2007

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Holy loving poo poo people care about this way too much

This is basically the only thread I've read in days. I mean, I still kinda read the voyager thread, but I no longer spend vast amounts of time reading memory alpha, cause I'm too busy F5ing this thread. I just cannot get enough of the Quinnspiracy.

• Locked thread