Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Razzled posted:

Anything in particular I should pay attention to?

Make a mental note of all the mailboxes between you and the house of the guy selling it before you leave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Haha, holy poo poo, it never gets old.

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me

Shimrod posted:

Haha, holy poo poo, it never gets old.

I don't think he's going to ever live that down.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
So does anyone have any hands on experience with the MT/FZ-09 and if so is the throttle as twitchy as every reviewer with an internet connection says? Looking at it vs. its little brother the 07.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Springfield Fatts posted:

So does anyone have any hands on experience with the MT/FZ-09 and if so is the throttle as twitchy as every reviewer with an internet connection says? Looking at it vs. its little brother the 07.

I rode one around for a demo day and in B/city mode it's just peachy. If you really dislike the normal mode (or high performance mode) you can pay a little more to adjust the fueling maps down the line. I wasn't able to put it through the paces in turns, which is where fuel surging is sketchy, so I'd certainly like to hear what owners here have to say about it. Just my 2c for now.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
There is a night-and-day difference between B and Standard modes. I buzzed around and had fun in B mode, but Standard is more fun if you want to screw around. Not that the official Yamaha demo crew puts up with any of THAT guff, no SIR! I didn't even try A mode, because it took a bit of concentration to keep properly control the bike in Standard. But yeah, like Shane said, there's people out there that will gently caress with the ECU for you. There's some company called Stoltec Moto that has reps on one of the FZ-09 forums, and they've developed and tested new throttle map or whatever settings for the thing. You have to send the ECU out to them but it's only like $100 or something.

Yeah, I'm like, vague and whatever, so what?

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Thanks for the input. Haven't been able to actually ride either (seriously, this loving industry is the only one where you're expected to drop this kind of money without actually trying it out) but both were comfortable enough for me to put a leg over. I was just trying to get past the hyperbolic "BETTER THAN THE FZ09?!?!" cult the 07 seems to be building.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
I'm really hoping Yamaha comes out with the sport-touring version of the FZ09 and doesn't do something stupid like leave ABS off.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Being jerky as heck in low revs is a thing in an awful lot of new bikes, because they have to run lean as hell for emissions rules. I can't think of a modern FI bike that doesn't benefit from a reflash just for this reason.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

I'm really hoping Yamaha comes out with the sport-touring version of the FZ09 and doesn't do something stupid like leave ABS off.

This. Too many nakeds around today, why is there not a sport touring speed triple? And why is ABS hardly ever available?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Barnsy posted:

Why is there not a sport touring speed triple?

If you're asking why there isn't a, well, sportier touring Speed Triple, there was:

And nobody bought it.

There's a stunningly beautiful Maroon '05 Sprint at my local dealer, if I didn't already have the stunningly beautifuller Futura it'd already be mine

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I demoed a Sprint st. Way less cool than the ulysses.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Barnsy posted:

Too many nakeds around today

:frogout:

You jerky-jerks with your plastic-fantastic fairing-farkled racereps and touring couches have had your day for far too long. Let those of us with taste* have our share of the pie. Meanie. t:mad:

*naked bike best bike naked bikes 4 eva

clutchpuck posted:

Other things less cool than a Ulysses:

*Herpes
*Lawyers
*Getting hit in the balls with a hammer
*Royal Enfields

Militant Lesbian fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Aug 28, 2014

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

clutchpuck posted:

Hahaha shutup.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Barnsy posted:

This. Too many nakeds around today, why is there not a sport touring speed triple? And why is ABS hardly ever available?

The Yamaha is going to be more of a Multistrada type deal.

Images already hit the patent / trademark offices, so it's only a matter of time. Probably at one of the shows this fall.

I don't see sensor rings in the renders, though, which makes me think no ABS and that is a really dumb idea on a bike in this market. The only things that can really get away with it nowadays are streetfighters and sport bikes, and even then most new bikes will have it. If they're trying to compete against the V-Strom, Multistrada, KTM Adv, BMW GS and S1000XR, even the 2014 Versys it needs to have ABS.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

And my list of bikes I'll never own due to terminal uglyness, regardless of objective merit, grows one name longer.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
If it's going to be sold in the EU, which it is, it -has- to have ABS, at least as an option.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I ended up picking up a Ninja 300. After taking it for my first spin around my neighborhood I don't think I stopped smiling for about two hours straight. Thanks for the suggestions and advice.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Slavvy posted:

And my list of bikes I'll never own due to terminal uglyness, regardless of objective merit, grows one name longer.

Did somebody say uglysses?

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Sodomy Non Sapiens posted:

I ended up picking up a Ninja 300. After taking it for my first spin around my neighborhood I don't think I stopped smiling for about two hours straight. Thanks for the suggestions and advice.

Congrats, Ninja 300 buddy! I love mine. I've put almost 9000 miles on it since February, and I still love it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

clutchpuck posted:

Did somebody say uglysses?

There's a certain admiration I have for someone who takes something terrible and turns it into a badge of honour. Well done, sir.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
drat cultural elite.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
What are some other bikes that have the same aesthetic as the military green Royal Enfield? I love that style but really don't know much about vintage styling like that.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

SquadronROE posted:

What are some other bikes that have the same aesthetic as the military green Royal Enfield? I love that style but really don't know much about vintage styling like that.

Serious answer:

Any bike will look like a military surplus vehicle if you rattlecan it OD Green and black.

Example Ducati:

The colour of the paint has far more to do with it than the actual bike underneath, though KLR650s look especially like a used army vehicle in OD green:

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

:clint:

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Wow, yeah you're right. Surprising what a simple coat of paint does.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

This one is mine :keke:

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

That a KTM? What do you wear while riding it, fatigues with a M1 Carbine?

M42
Nov 12, 2012

That, my friend, is a :krad: ninjette.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I normally hate the naked ninjette look (aka I broke it but i think you are too stupid to notice), but that one is pretty fantastic. Good work.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

captainOrbital posted:

Still waiting on sharkmouth. :colbert:

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

CaptainOrbital, did you do that yourself? If it wasn't clear, I think that it's an excellent looking bike.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

slidebite posted:

Still waiting on sharkmouth. :colbert:

Yeah. I totally forgot about that. I need to photoshop it first, and then find an appropriately-sized vinyl.

SquadronROE posted:

CaptainOrbital, did you do that yourself? If it wasn't clear, I think that it's an excellent looking bike.

Thanks! I did it myself over the winter in Chicago, which was so brutal I had plenty of time for wetsanding the parts and Bondo-ing my tank, into which the PO had put dents. The only problem was that I couldn't really prime or paint until it was warm enough to ride, at which point I just wanted to ride. This is why I need more than one bike. Work on one, ride the other one(s).

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

captainOrbital posted:

Want one. Seems like a primo bug out bike--nimble, 250 miles of range and a week of MREs in the first aid box. For life's little emergencies. Please tell me those brackets are for ammo cans.

Tangential: not really sold on Walking Dead (too much manufactured interpersonal conflict) but the shot of the bike leading the convoy out of Atlanta was most excellent.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Matt green rattlecan is like easily the best paint finish for effort versus effect, IMO. Three of us did my friend's Land Rover in about two hours, half of which was spent masking the lights and tyres and drinking beer.

Either that break out the broad masking tape and black and white paints and do your own dazzle camouflage

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Would someone mind picking out a few promising listings for a beginner who wants a standard/naked style and doesn't want to do much maintenance?

http://sarasota.craigslist.org/i/motorcycles
http://fortmyers.craigslist.org/i/motorcycles

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
This one looks pretty good:

http://fortmyers.craigslist.org/col/mcy/4651225194.html

Price isn't terrible for the mileage, and it looks to be in decent shape.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
http://fortmyers.craigslist.org/lee/mcy/4646769515.html
http://fortmyers.craigslist.org/chl/mcy/4594640689.html
http://fortmyers.craigslist.org/lee/mcy/4610520977.html

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Well, you win this round. Especially for that SV, which is pretty as hell with the burgundy and the black frame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:
You need to specify a price range that allows for related expenses, or this will devolve into the moto equivalent of a sports radio call in segment on NBA draft picks. Again.