Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Aw man, you mean I have to see the characters sitting there on the select screen, taunting me until they actually release? :arghfist:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
What exactly are the win/loss stats anyway?

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Monkey Fracas posted:

Aw man, you mean I have to see the characters sitting there on the select screen, taunting me until they actually release? :arghfist:

Yeah, it's annoying, but it's a reminder of greater things to come. I do question them putting the placeholders there though. :raise:

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013

g0lbez posted:

What exactly are the win/loss stats anyway?

I believe it works like this.

Say you race against 11 other people (12 total counting you) and you come in 9th place. That means you beat whoever came in 10th, 11th, and 12th so you get 3 wins and 8 losses added to your record because the people who came in 1st thru 8th beat YOU.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Ometeotl posted:

I'm on my phone, so I can't check myself, but what colors do Yoshi and Shy Guy actually get?

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Starhawk64 posted:

Yeah, it's annoying, but it's a reminder of greater things to come. I do question them putting the placeholders there though. :raise:

It's probably actually a smart idea.

"Hey look at this extra content! It's practically already here! Uncle Nintendo just needs a liiittle money first..."

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Awesome, they didn't forgo orange for a third shade of blue or something.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

At least they don't have the mystery dlc karts in there where you'd have to scroll past them all the time :v:

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

mabels big day posted:

Its really funny seeing everyone on goonkart tourny just being shy guy and yoshi and driving a Mercedes.

Really? I'm sitting in Goonvitational Karts right now and it is a barren wasteland, as per usual.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Suaimhneas posted:

At least they don't have the mystery dlc karts in there where you'd have to scroll past them all the time :v:
They wouldn't anyways, since all parts not unlocked are covered by the ? slot in each type of part.

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013
A few days ago I would have deemed this impossible, but now, this is semi-probable:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejxyt5zYdps

Link needs a "horse" type kart.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Spectacle Rock posted:

Link needs a "horse" type kart.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

If anything, it would need to be an Epona themed bike, much like the Yoshi Bike.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

A bike that looks like those weird twilight birds from Twilight Princess. You don't even need to come up with a horn sound.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

I can't wait to see what tracks they've cooked up for the Triforce Cup. I'm predicting at least one Hyrule Field, Ganondorf's Castle, and probably Skyloft, each with jazzy MK8 renditions of their music :swoon:. It's gonna be so great, you guys!

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Slur posted:

Really? I'm sitting in Goonvitational Karts right now and it is a barren wasteland, as per usual.

Yeah it had people this morning but its all dead

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Cicadas! posted:

I can't wait to see what tracks they've cooked up for the Triforce Cup. I'm predicting at least one Hyrule Field, Ganondorf's Castle, and probably Skyloft, each with jazzy MK8 renditions of their music :swoon:. It's gonna be so great, you guys!

:catstare: You want them to pave over Hyrule Field for a race track?!?

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Skyloft track where most of the track is gliding between islands.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
There'll be 16 new tracks total, seems likely half of those will be classic tracks. I'd be thrilled to get 3 each of Zelda and AC out of the remaining 8, but it seems pretty optimistic. When I read the news I sort of assumed there'd just be 1 each, although 2 would be a nice surprise.

Mostly I expect the franchises to be represented evenly (even though AC gets 2 racers to Zelda's 1) and don't see how they'd make 3 courses from AC properties. 1 AC and 3 Zelda courses making one of the two new cups would be great though.

If that's the case, give me a race through 6 little areas that represent the OoT temples, please. Sort of like Mt. Wario's distinct areas. Skyloft seems likely too given they have ready pseudo-HD assets and it's a more recent game, plus the Link.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Starhawk64 posted:

That stats screen even tells you who your favorite character is. I'm not surprised mine is Wario.

Mine is Metal Mario even though I'm almost 100% positive I play as Toadette more :shrug:

Also seeing a ton of red and orange yoshi sadly those are the wrong choices and I picked the real winning color and crushed all those before me.

(Seriously though the rainbow guys and yoshi's were a great idea, I wish there was a multicolored heavy class to round things out)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Animal Crossing Courses:

Village
City
Island

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Cicadas! posted:

I think the F-Zero and Excite Bike tracks are part of the Triforce Cup.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Is that really wario's galleon by the way? It turns to the right instead of the left like the course in 7.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Kurtofan posted:

I think the F-Zero and Excite Bike tracks are part of the Triforce Cup.

Oh. Still cool, still cool. I guess Link can't hog ALL the glory.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
The presence of F-zero and Excitebike tracks at least opens the door other non-Zelda/Animal Crossing tracks.

What I'm saying is in three months, we'd better be racing through Fourside.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

mancalamania posted:

The presence of F-zero and Excitebike tracks at least opens the door other non-Zelda/Animal Crossing tracks.

What I'm saying is in three months, we'd better be racing through Fourside.

If this happens Ness better be a playable racer. :colbert:

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Super Smash Kart AOC, coming 2015.
Come to think of it, I wonder if that particular trailer was what sparked this crossover?

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
I'm completely fine with the Mario-centric original courses we have already, and the two new retro cups will satiate any drive for new content on that front if the tracks chosen have even half the polish and revamp the current options do. So given the F-zero track in the first DLC pack and the Excitebike track in the second, my dream world sees them revealing 2 Zelda tracks, 2 Animal Crossing tracks, and 2 yet-to-be-shown tracks based on other Nintendo racing properties. Namely, I wanna see a Mach Rider track. Like, really badly.

Hey, we had the Mach Bike in MKWii, same as the Blue Falcon. So why not?

EDIT: Oh, I guess F-zero and Excitebike tracks are hitting in November. That owns.

Violen fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Aug 27, 2014

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

It's a crime that Captain Falcon himself is not part of the DLC.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

I wonder how far Nintendo's willing to go with DLC characters, I think they chose SS Link because the art style fits in better, so I doubt Samus or Marth will ever learn how to drift.
But maybe Samus could race in her morphball and speed dash on foot whenever she hits a boost... No, maybe her spaceship will make it in as a kart.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

mabels big day posted:

It's a crime that Captain Falcon himself is not part of the DLC.

They're saving that for Amiibo functionality! :eng101:

:eng99:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Now imagining what poses Captain Falcon would strike while doing tricks. I can just picture him in a tiny go kart like link, just crammed in it with that poo poo eating grin from the Lucina trailer.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

.TakaM posted:

I wonder how far Nintendo's willing to go with DLC characters, I think they chose SS Link because the art style fits in better, so I doubt Samus or Marth will ever learn how to drift.
But maybe Samus could race in her morphball and speed dash on foot whenever she hits a boost... No, maybe her spaceship will make it in as a kart.

Samus's spaceship DID have an adorable little version in that Nintendoland Metroid minigame. I could see using a similar design in a Mario Kart.

It seems cruel to F-Zero fans that they have the Blue Falcon and a stage, but no Captain Falcon himself. Brawl in the Family seems as appropriate as ever.

http://brawlinthefamily.keenspot.com/2013/08/20/4521/

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I decided to try going for the gold kart and I thought you only had to get one star on the Mirror cups, but then it didn't unlock. Guess I have to do the 150 too, that's not going to be fun...

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
:getin: online

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Twelve by Pies posted:

I decided to try going for the gold kart and I thought you only had to get one star on the Mirror cups, but then it didn't unlock. Guess I have to do the 150 too, that's not going to be fun...

Yeah, getting stars on 150cc will backfill 50 and 100, but Mirror is it's own beast

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Starhawk64 posted:

If this happens Ness better be a playable racer. :colbert:

His custom kart better be a Mad Taxi.

solarbeam
Nov 29, 2005
the sl mercedes kart sounds really nice

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Thanks for the fun races goons, anyone bored should jump online now!

p.s Brian, I shouldn't have tried to bump you off after hitting you with a red shell on DK jungle, that was completely inappropriate of me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

If Link can fit in, Other M Samus could easily fit in too.

But then everyone would bitch about it, because the negativity towards the plot and some of the character design overrides everything about that game apparently. I'm still expecting a huge, clunky 8 bit Excitebike. Especially with the new sword Hyrule is getting with its next update.

• Locked thread