Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010

App13 posted:

Inqscribe is the best. I'm using the free version right now. Since you're familiar with it, any reason I should upgrade?

The being able to save directly in inqscribe is good, but the export feature comes with the full version as well, meaning that once you get into ABS or for instance any client using tables or Excel, you can literally very easily have it all lined up without it exploding in Word. Which would have come in handy when learning ABS to save me a LOT of time I spent manually formatting because I didn't know better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
I heard back from DT today, they said my test file didn't qualify. But... I can resubmit in 6 months. Muahahahahaha.

I replied asking for feedback on what was deficient in my submission. We'll see if they get back to me.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
If they told you that, probably your accuracy for what was said or when it was said.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

Shima Honnou posted:

If they told you that, probably your accuracy for what was said or when it was said.

I didn't half-rear end it. I spent a good 3-4 hours going through it... after I sorted out the instructions.

It would be nice to hear a little feedback.

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
ANP Transcription is hiring, I urge everyone NOT to work for them. I'm still seeing complaints online that have been recently posted about late payments from them and continuing childish behavior. So if you're seeing anything from them just ignore it. The pay per page isn't bad, but their unwillingness to pay on time if at all, as well as their style guide being crazy arbitrary and docking pay as they feel like. Ultimately, not an awesome company to work for, and I'm one of the ones that parted on good terms. I only bring this up because I got a "let's rebuild" email and it seems they're making a big hiring push again.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
If ANP isn't going to pay then they can go gently caress themselves. If they want this work done for free they can do it themselves, I say.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Looks like 90% of the hits when you search them on Google is complaints, so that's good

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian
C'mon baby, do you have a soul gem

moolchaba posted:

I didn't half-rear end it. I spent a good 3-4 hours going through it... after I sorted out the instructions.

It would be nice to hear a little feedback.

moolchaba from earlier posted:

Holy Hell. I just finished that test video from DT. :suicide:

I wish they would give you a better sample file of what they expect for transcription. Their example didn't include any: uh, ah, hmm, or the-the-the-the. It was plain jane.

So what are they using these transcription files for? Close captioning? Scripts for theatrical portrayal of Iron Chef America?

I don't remember it exactly, but I seem to recall that there was actually quite a bit of stuttering and a good bunch of filler words as well in there, because that's how Alton always talks. If none of those were present in your transcript, it probably wasn't 100% accurate.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

UZworm posted:

I don't remember it exactly, but I seem to recall that there was actually quite a bit of stuttering and a good bunch of filler words as well in there, because that's how Alton always talks. If none of those were present in your transcript, it probably wasn't 100% accurate.

Any given 7 minutes of Iron Chef America can probably be charitably described as 1 or 2 minutes of dead air and 5 to 6 minutes of non-stop strokes, so yeah, lots of stutters.

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
Agreed.

And yet after decades on TV, they still always insist on verbatim for Alton Brown projects.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
Yeah. I had all the I-i-i-i-irish whiskey and uh uh um it looks like uh uh tartare... Yes, it's a steak tartare.

They haven't gotten back with me yet, but I was hoping for a little more than "try again in 6 months" for the amount of time I invested. They were pretty good about responding to a few questions I had prior to submitting the test.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Attention transcribers who have been at this for at least six months:

How many of you would be available for overnight turnaround projects at $1.25/minute? The workflow would be as follows--

• I give you a request at around 9:00 p.m. Central.
    • You confirm the request and download the video and transcribe it according to our style.
    • You send it back to us by 7:00 a.m. the next day.

PM me if you're interested.

Fall TV is coming, and I'd like to expand my team. I've had some favorable luck with recent hires who have less than six months experience, so if you have been at this for a shorter amount of time and think you can handle it, feel free to message me.

From what I can gather, it seems I have a more critical eye w/r/t grammar and style as opposed to DT, hence the experience requirement. Just because you can speak English doesn't mean you can write it well! Those of you goons already working for me, feel free to comment on any differences.

And I'm still waiting on test reels from a couple of you goons from a month or so back, so get your [bleep] in gear!

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Fall TV is coming, and I'd like to expand my team. I've had some favorable luck with recent hires who have less than six months experience, so if you have been at this for a shorter amount of time and think you can handle it, feel free to message me.

From what I can gather, it seems I have a more critical eye w/r/t grammar and style as opposed to DT, hence the experience requirement. Just because you can speak English doesn't mean you can write it well! Those of you goons already working for me, feel free to comment on any differences.

And I'm still waiting on test reels from a couple of you goons from a month or so back, so get your [bleep] in gear!

Pro post, this is a pretty good gig and also fun unless certain companies come calling because they don't know what's decent audio and what's just random noise and fuzz coming from the audio channel of a video.

Yeah, you do have a more critical eye for grammar and style than DT, but that's because actual people might read the captions. This is opposed to DT work where it's mostly producers and sound engineers, which experience has shown are generally not people.

Shima Honnou fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Aug 27, 2014

Spartan421
Jul 5, 2004

I'd love to lay you down.
Sounds like a good gig except the 9pm to 7am thing. I'm getting too old for this all nighter poo poo.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
That's just for overnight work. We pay $1/minute for noon and later deadlines. I tend to give work to people offering overnight availability first though regardless of whether there's actually overnight work. I've got one freelancer who offers me 120 minutes a day deliverable by 11:30 p.m. next day.

e: For example, let's say it's August 31st. It's somewhere between 7:00 and 9:30 p.m., and I'm assigning work for the next day. Pay grades are as follows:

"9/1-morning" --> due 7:00 a.m., $1.25/minute
"9/1-noon" --> due 12:00 p.m., $1/minute
"9/1-afternoon" --> due 5:00 p.m., $1/minute
"9/1" --> due end of day, 11:30 p.m., $1/minute, so a little over 24-hour turnaround time

Jedi Knight Luigi fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Aug 27, 2014

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
I've actually gotten work earlier than the 9pm EST range. A couple weeks back... I forget her name but your counterpart. Lori? She sent me some work at 6pm on a Monday, pretty easy stuff, too. A cartoon and something else that I forget. If it weren't for my desire to watch men in panties pretend to hit each other every Monday I'd have had a whole night's work out before midnight that day; even then I finished the cartoon just by working during commercials.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Yeah, sometimes stuff comes in earlier in the afternoon and I only have a couple Tetris blocks of freelancer availability that can fill it, so I can send it out a little earlier.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

What's the minimum experience you're looking for? I have a friend who is interested in getting into transcription, but he's done none, so far. I think his grammar is excellent. Unlike almost everyone else I know, his emails are always properly capitalized, punctuated, and paragraphed. For that matter, I am thinking about taking a stab at transcription, myself.

Also, he speaks and reads/writes Japanese, is there any demand for that in the transcription field for people who don't reside in Japan?

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Captions will be read by a decent chunk of people and have to be both legible and accurate. Unlike with DT, captions will actually be reviewed fully for accuracy instead of just a few jumps here and there to make sure there aren't any amazingly outstanding issues, and there are monthly reviews to ensure that you're putting out work of a certain quality. Grammar is king as well. If you've ever seen captions or subtitles, you know that people only have a few seconds to read and digest them before the next lines.

It's probably best to just get a start in DT or a similar place first and stay there for at least a few months to make sure that A: You've got the basics of the job down, and B: That you can watch tens or hundreds of hours of reality TV footage without killing yourself. Even in captioning, reality TV and other similarly less scripted things come up quite a bit. I've been doing a lot of game shows of late myself, as well as a few other things that aren't a strictly scripted and recorded drama. Accuracy is even more vital in captioning than in just basic transcription, because I get completed episodes (Usually; sometimes there are placeholders where the crew hasn't put the CGI or credit sequence in place on various shows, but for the most part it's a 100% complete, as-it-will-air episode or film). That means, as with the example of game shows, you have to be able to discern dialogue through both a crowd and game show music.

You've also got to be able to type a lot. I've found that the ratio is general 200x words for a 46 minute reality TV show episode (So you're looking at typing out somewhere between 7k and 10k words in fairly short order; that's as much as a short story). For game shows I've found it to be about 130x words, so a 21 minute episode sits close to 3000 words. Meanwhile, a drama could be anywhere between 800 words (Lowest I've seen, but it was a pretty experimental episode) to 5000 words for a ~42-46 minute episode. Furthering the comparison, a very dialogue heavy movie from the 1940s that I captioned had around 11k words. That was a ~90 or some odd minute movie, but it had the same amount of talking as you might find in a weekly episode of Trashy Rednecks From Saskatoon or whatever the new hotness in reality TV is.

Shima Honnou fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Aug 27, 2014

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Good luck! I'm interested, if a bit hesitant about the overnight stuff, but I think I need a little more than three weeks of DT under my belt before I can confidently apply for captioning. Out of curiosity, how regularly do you completely fill your transcriber's requested number of minutes?

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

counterfeitsaint posted:

Good luck! I'm interested, if a bit hesitant about the overnight stuff, but I think I need a little more than three weeks of DT under my belt before I can confidently apply for captioning. Out of curiosity, how regularly do you completely fill your transcriber's requested number of minutes?

Since I work for Jedi Knight Luigi as his Padawan Youngling Toad, I can say that most nights I get my fill of the minutes I've requested. He rarely goes over the requested minutes since he likes playing Price Is Right, unlike how DT tends to operate, but he will sometimes book you for multiple days in one night (Generally after asking you if that's cool, which it is for me). That's most apparent during the weekend. On Fridays I get a work order to be done with by Saturday and Sunday that takes up most of the weekend minutage I put in for. We're going into the summer finale area of the year so things have been getting a bit lighter on some work, though. I didn't have any work orders last night, which was fine for me all told, since due to reasons I was exhausted as poo poo anyway.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

counterfeitsaint posted:

This industry can really be feast or famine, as Kaz et al. have mentioned in this thread. You can never know for sure how much work there's gonna be, but my boss and I have a feeling we're going to need every scrap of availability we can get over the next 3-4 months.

Centripetal Horse posted:

What's the minimum experience you're looking for? I have a friend who is interested in getting into transcription, but he's done none, so far. I think his grammar is excellent. Unlike almost everyone else I know, his emails are always properly capitalized, punctuated, and paragraphed. For that matter, I am thinking about taking a stab at transcription, myself.

Also, he speaks and reads/writes Japanese, is there any demand for that in the transcription field for people who don't reside in Japan?

If you PM me, I can give you my email address, and then I can send you our handbook/style guide. You can look that over and see if it's nit-picky enough for you. Because of the way captions are blocked on screen, we have to be really critical of comma splices especially. We are a safe haven for Oxford comma users, though, which I love.

Japanese speaker, eh? I don't think we have much need for that in the transcription realm, but our multilingual project manager might have some use for that if he's a native speaker. If he's not, well, he could try out freelance translation for gengo.com. I do some German>English work there. Our company doesn't really do any English>[foreign language] stuff, mostly just the other way around.

Jedi Knight Luigi fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Aug 27, 2014

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Any Writers Domain writers here? They are lowering their rates Sept 1st

Standard 400 Word Articles (originally $20/article)
3 Stars - $15
4 or 5 Stars - $17.50

Premium Articles (Originally $40/article)
3 Stars - $34
4 or 5 Stars - $38

http://blog.writersdomain.net/2014/08/27/update-to-payment-structure/

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

If you PM me, I can give you my email address, and then I can send you our handbook/style guide. You can look that over and see if it's nit-picky enough for you. Because of the way captions are blocked on screen, we have to be really critical of comma splices especially. We are a safe haven for Oxford comma users, though, which I love.

Japanese speaker, eh? I don't think we have much need for that in the transcription realm, but our multilingual project manager might have some use for that if he's a native speaker. If he's not, well, he could try out freelance translation for gengo.com. I do some German>English work there. Our company doesn't really do any English>[foreign language] stuff, mostly just the other way around.

I'll send you a private message, then. I am a fan of the Oxford comma, myself. I'll look over the style guide and pass it on to my buddy.

My friend was born and raised in the USA, but Japanese is his first language, as his parents are both from Japan, and it's what was spoken in his home. His current job involves translating business documents and contracts from Japanese into English for his boss, who is a little weak on business vocabulary. I'll tell him about Gengo.com.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Astro7x posted:

3 Stars - $15
4 or 5 Stars - $17.50

3 Stars - $34
4 or 5 Stars - $38

I came here to post this too. It's still better rates than, say, Textbroker, but with all the turmoil at WD recently, there are a lot of warning signs that bad things are destined.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

Astro7x posted:

3 Stars - $15
4 or 5 Stars - $17.50

3 Stars - $34
4 or 5 Stars - $38

Pfff. I've been half-assing it there, but the money is good. I'm just poo poo at working from home.

Lower rate is worth it for the instant pay and quick reviews, but getting to $100 will be more tedious. What they really should do is provide titles—that would be awesome and make the articles 100x easier to write.

I haven't logged in a few days. I bet there are a bunch of middle aged moms flipping their poo poo.

unbuttonedclone fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Aug 28, 2014

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Oh god, the forums there are horrible… people take offense to the wording in boiler plate reviews as if it was a personal attack on them.

i did the math, and I'd lose about 20% of my earnings over the past 6 months under this new payment system. It's still good pay for WFH crappy SEO articles that nobody will read, but after taxes it now comes to about $12 per 400 word article for me. I just wish the quality standards went down with the pay. Earlier today I was asked to provide a citation that dentures will dry out if you do not leave them in water. The gently caress?

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

Astro7x posted:

Oh god, the forums there are horrible… people take offense to the wording in boiler plate reviews as if it was a personal attack on them.

i did the math, and I'd lose about 20% of my earnings over the past 6 months under this new payment system. It's still good pay for WFH crappy SEO articles that nobody will read, but after taxes it now comes to about $12 per 400 word article for me. I just wish the quality standards went down with the pay. Earlier today I was asked to provide a citation that dentures will dry out if you do not leave them in water. The gently caress?

I had to abandon my first article for them because the editors could not understand what a metal building was and why you would want to minimize noise in one.

I like their feedback, I just avoid stuff when I think I'm going to have to deal with an editor's limited life experience. They are kind of dumb sometimes a lot of the time.

Zorblack
Oct 8, 2008

And with strange aeons, even death may eat a burrito with goons.
Lipstick Apathy

Hey kids! Are you tired of endless timestamped full verbatim cell phone recorded interviews taking place entirely within a rustling hedge during a hurricane and involving two screaming men who have filled their mouths entirely with peanut butter all for the excruciatingly low rate of 14 nickels per minute? Would you rather deal with (mostly) broadcast ready material and get paid 50% more nickels per minute (that adds up quickly)? Then get off your lazy, metaphorical backside and pm JKL! Learn to use commas and get paid more! It's a sweet deal.

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
Unless he makes you watch A terrible show. That poo poo is just AWFUL!

Otherwise he's awesome to work for. :3:

edited for stupidity

Slightly Used Cake fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Aug 28, 2014

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Haven't had to do that show yet. Did a show I've done before last night/today, I noticed that they apparently gave us a copy with notes of where ADR should be (Some dude with a nerdy voice speaking the lines) but hadn't yet ADR'd in said lines. So that was unexpected!

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
Oh my god I get that all the time with the caption stuff. It's hilarious when they get into it doing voices like how they think the character sounds.

I don't know what all this company handles, but I'm hoping for terrible assistant gruff voice overs of Supernatural. Pretty pretty please JKL! It's all I want for Christmas!

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
I can't confirm or deny what shows we do, especially on a semi-public forum (and neither should you! :v: )

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
I don't care if a show's good or bad, really. I care how easily I can understand what's said and how much is said. A show could be the worst garbage ever but if it doesn't have 12 people cutting each other off some other DT-style bullshit then it's actually a pretty good and cool show!

Spartan421
Jul 5, 2004

I'd love to lay you down.
Absolutely. I don't care how brain draining anything is as long as it pays and it's not a dialogue nightmare.

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
I normally don't. I just had a show where I was struggling to hear the dialogue because the soundtrack was so fracking loud compared to the cast. So you just had a bunch of fairly wooden actors being fairly monotone, but quieter when they needed to be dramatic.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Slightly Used Cake posted:

I normally don't. I just had a show where I was struggling to hear the dialogue because the soundtrack was so fracking loud compared to the cast. So you just had a bunch of fairly wooden actors being fairly monotone, but quieter when they needed to be dramatic.

Could be worse. Monotone is fairly easy to understand, and at least it was music and not unscripted dialogue while music and a crowd is roaring in the background as in game shows.

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
This is true! Or, identify all eight of these speakers while they talk over each other, but we're recording them from one lovely mike behind the woman chewing loudly and eating chips. Oh and we're videotaping them from behind using a camera from the 80s.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
That's cool, apparently to get the approved spelling of certain (random?) words you have to subscribe to Merriam-Webster now. Good thing that's totally not something I do for a job, such as captioning, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Shima Honnou posted:

That's cool, apparently to get the approved spelling of certain (random?) words you have to subscribe to Merriam-Webster now. Good thing that's totally not something I do for a job, such as captioning, right?

Say whaaaa? I thought Collegiate was free and Universal was paid.