Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

KernelSlanders posted:

Right, but if Richie wasn't the victim he doesn't have standing to prosecute.

There are plenty of situations where he could claim he was a victim too, though. Especially in he-said-he-said fights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011
just so this doesn't get lost in the new page:

So this happened in Atlanta. It's a pretty big thing, they're calling murder, an actual loving murder. Cops are all in a tizzy, but at least the Coroner's doing his job.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/death-man-stunned-while-custody-ruled-homicide/ngXbt/

quote:

Records said he was handcuffed as he was repeatedly stunned and there are several other potentially explosive allegations.

An East Point Police lieutenant confirms two officers were still on administrative leave with pay as of early Tuesday afternoon in connection with Gregory Towns’ death in April.
A Fulton County medical examiner's investigator confirmed the manner of death has been ruled a homicide.

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.

E-Tank posted:

So this happened in Atlanta. It's a pretty big thing, they're calling murder, an actual loving murder. Cops are all in a tizzy, but at least the Coroner's doing his job.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/death-man-stunned-while-custody-ruled-homicide/ngXbt/

They're calling it a homicide. As we've learned in the Eric Garner case (so far), homicide doesn't necessarily rise to murder. (There is, after all, justifiable homicide.)

But I guess even that is something, compared to the recently-released autopsy report of Victor White III of New Iberia, Louisiana, which ruled it a suicide when he miraculously shot himself in the chest while in the back of a cop car with his hands cuffed behind his back.

Cichlid the Loach fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Aug 28, 2014

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

E-Tank posted:

As it says in the article homicide isn't the same thing as murder, since homicide can be justified. So no, they are not calling it murder.

efb

ColdReaches
Oct 12, 2013

Place : Detroit
Date : 4031 A.D.

E-Tank posted:

Also, a reminder,

Coroner says man fatally shot himself in the chest while handcuffed behind his back

http://rt.com/usa/182932-victor-white-coroner-report/

edit: this too

http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20140825/news/140828984/

edit 2 :

According to a report produced by each Taser used on Towns, Weems pulled the trigger on his device four times for a total of 27 seconds and Eberhart activated his Taser at least 10 times for a total of 47 seconds.

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/attorney-east-point-police-used-tasers-as-cattle-p/ng9Rh/

ColdReaches fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Aug 28, 2014

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Cichlid the Loach posted:

They're calling it a homicide. As we've learned in the Eric Garner case (so far), homicide doesn't necessarily rise to murder. (There is, after all, justifiable homicide.)

But I guess even that is something, compared to the recently-released autopsy report of Victor White III of New Iberia, Louisiana, which ruled it a suicide when he miraculously shot himself in the chest while in the back of a cop car with his hands cuffed behind his back.

loving christ, I feel like an idiot. :sigh:

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

E-Tank posted:

Don't feel like an idiot. You thought you were going to see justice done and you got excited.
Now you know (better) how the system works. It only gets worse.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

E-Tank posted:

Cops getting charged with murder very rarely happens. I think it's happened once or twice in recent history, I think when the DA decided to charge those cops who murdered Kelly Thomas.

E: murdered, not beat

white sauce fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Aug 28, 2014

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.
Mershele was charged with murder 2 in the Oscar Grant shooting although he was acquitted on that charge. From what I did see of that I think the DA was really trying.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

So here in New York City the NYPD has responded to DeBlasio's actions regarding the death of Eric Garner and for publicly agreeing with Al Sharpton by trying to sabotage the Citys attempt to get the DNC convention to be held in Brooklyn by saying that New York is heading back to "the bad old days," and they feel that the Mayor doesn't have their interests at heart. I swear the NYPD are some of the most entitled shits in this City.

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

KomradeX posted:

So here in New York City the NYPD has responded to DeBlasio's actions regarding the death of Eric Garner and for publicly agreeing with Al Sharpton by trying to sabotage the Citys attempt to get the DNC convention to be held in Brooklyn by saying that New York is heading back to "the bad old days," and they feel that the Mayor doesn't have their interests at heart. I swear the NYPD are some of the most entitled shits in this City.

You'd be mad too if your ability to do your job without standards, conduct, or scrutiny was being threatened.

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.
Holy poo poo, I have never seen this Cato Institute report before, but if this stuff is true then it's a bombshell:

2010 National Police Miscoduct Reporting Project Police Misconduct Statistical Report

quote:

While the rate of police officers officially charged with murder is only 1.06% higher than the current general population murder rate, if excessive force complaints involving fatalities were prosecuted as murder the murder rate for law enforcement officers would exceed the general population murder rate by 472%.

(emphasis mine)

Check out that sexual-assault rate too.

quote:

There appears to be a correlation between higher misconduct rates and ineffective prosecution of criminal police misconduct charges when we see how the states with the worst prosecution rates rank in the lower 50th percentile for misconduct.

Captain Rehab
Jul 8, 2005

BC

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

What?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

KomradeX posted:

A lot of them don't even live in the city- instead they live in Westchester, Nassau, or Staten Island (which is technically part of NYC but it feels more like New Jersey). Their persecution complex is astounding, but par for the course when it comes to groups with power in America.

Speaking of the NYPD, the 77th precinct made flyers saying that they'll crack down on "quality of life" crimes in Crown Heights for the West Indian Day Parade on Labor Day. They're not even trying to hide their dickishness anymore. I've only lived in the neighborhood for two months, but I can imagine that the drunken idiots tomorrow are no more annoying than the drunken idiots in most of Manhattan during Santacon or St. Patrick's Day. Well, besides the one obvious difference, that is. Normally I'd just look at a story like that, accept that the world is lovely, and move on, but it takes a whole new meaning when you're friends with people in the neighborhood- people who are nothing more than just targets to cops. As for me, I'm just gonna party harder so I can piss off NYPD even more.

By the way, in statistics courses, they should talk about stop-and-frisk and "broken windows policing" (which I call "Minority Report Policing" because it hinges on the flawed concept that hitting people for minor crimes will prevent them from doing worse ones) when going over the concept of "correlation does not equal causation."

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

ChairMaster posted:

Jesus fuckin christ, do people still think that there's a nonviolent solution to this problem?

How is it that the people of the most well-armed nation on Earth can manage to fuckin get slaughtered every single day by the people who are supposedly there to protect them and literally nothing ever comes of it? In certain cities all black people should be carrying guns at any time and they should all be travelling in groups of 4 or more. Yea, cops are gonna use that as an excuse to attack you, but they were gonna do that anyways. Create an actual danger of them being hurt or killed and maybe they'll start thinking twice.

It really can't get much worse and definitely isn't gonna get any better any time soon.

Because at the end of the day, people just want to go about their lives in relative peace. The possibility of America's minority population going IRA on the police is pretty loving remote at this point in time.

Besides, a group like that (especially in the mold of the original Black Panthers) would get infiltrated and neutralized real quick.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Everyday Lurker posted:

Besides, a group like that (especially in the mold of the original Black Panthers) would get infiltrated and neutralized real quick.
Said Black Panthers decided to flaunt their Second Amendment rights in California back in the '70s. This caused then-governor Ronald Reagan to sign the open carry ban into law there. So the next time a Democrat praises Ronald Reagan for banning open carry in CA, throw in that nugget of info.

It should be noted that the NRA supported the open carry ban. However, it should also be noted that in the early '70s, the NRA was not made up of the Second Amendment extremists that its membership consists of today (that coup came later in the decade)- it supported certain types of regulations and limits on gun ownership.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
It isn't like regular citizens are going to be able to get high grade combat armor or armoured vehicles anyway. Paramilitary police at this point are pretty secure against violent resistance short of an insurgency and the DHS and NSA are well placed to quickly disrupt that. Plus any kind of violent resistance would have little to no pubic support and probably empower a violent response from reactionary white vigilantism.

When they're in trouble the police consistently want riots from people of colour, violent minorities scare whites and force them to align with the police. I wouldn't be surprised if the 'quality of life' crackdown for the NY West Indian parade were an attempt to get a violent reaction so as to diminish white criticism of NYPD racism.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Y-Hat posted:

A lot of them don't even live in the city- instead they live in Westchester, Nassau, or Staten Island (which is technically part of NYC but it feels more like New Jersey). Their persecution complex is astounding, but par for the course when it comes to groups with power in America.

Speaking of the NYPD, the 77th precinct made flyers saying that they'll crack down on "quality of life" crimes in Crown Heights for the West Indian Day Parade on Labor Day. They're not even trying to hide their dickishness anymore. I've only lived in the neighborhood for two months, but I can imagine that the drunken idiots tomorrow are no more annoying than the drunketn idiots in most of Manhattan during Santacon or St. Patrick's Day. Well, besides the one obvious difference, that is. Normally I'd just look at a story like that, accept that the world is lovely, and move on, but it takes a whole new meaning when you're friends with people in the neighborhood- people who are nothing more than just targets to cops. As for me, I'm just gonna party harder so I can piss off NYPD even more.

By the way, in statistics courses, they should talk about stop-and-frisk and "broken windows policing" (which I call "Minority Report Policing" because it hinges on the flawed concept that hitting people for minor crimes will prevent them from doing worse ones) when going over the concept of "correlation does not equal causation."

I live on Staten Island :negative: I'm ashamed to live here. That does explain how it seems like every other person on this Island is a cop or is some how connected to the cops through family.

I saw that notice on a friends facebook page I thought it was "funny" they would say that since I was at a block party in this working class neighborhood in Brooklyn the other week that had all those things, with the added effect of they had blocked off the street, didn't have a permit and someone set off a ton of fire works when it got dark. I was watching NY1 a few days back and they were in Tompkinsville by the park near where they killed Eric Garner and to me it looks like they've been lax with enforcing quality of life crimes there, my theory is they're doing to to show the neighborhood how important enforcing these quality of life crimes. I have no proof of this, so hopefully I'm wrong.

What I don't understand is why these quality of life crimes aren't just issuing a ticket. I mean I get it's all just part of punishing the poor but they have to give a reason besides that.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Y-Hat posted:

Said Black Panthers decided to flaunt their Second Amendment rights in California back in the '70s. This caused then-governor Ronald Reagan to sign the open carry ban into law there. So the next time a Democrat praises Ronald Reagan for banning open carry in CA, throw in that nugget of info.

It should be noted that the NRA supported the open carry ban. However, it should also be noted that in the early '70s, the NRA was not made up of the Second Amendment extremists that its membership consists of today (that coup came later in the decade)- it supported certain types of regulations and limits on gun ownership.

Said regulations and limits were okay as long as they applied to minorities, of course. Then again, a lot of people still believe that giving everyone equal human rights is pretty extreme so I can see your confusion.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_M8iLnIMOYE

State Police Officer arrested by other cops. He does identify as cop.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

quote:

Vernier was with state police for about two years. Before that he served with a department in Colorado.

He said that's where he responded to a fatal accident involving a child he knew, and since then he's suffered from post-traumatic stress disorder.

"It's time to concentrate on my mental health and getting to a better state in life," he said. "It was a hard decision to make, but I have been going through some mental health counseling for the last several months and I really need to focus on that."

:qq: "I saw a child die, that's why I thought I was above the law and put a repo man in a headlock."

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Vahakyla posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_M8iLnIMOYE

State Police Officer arrested by other cops. He does identify as cop.

I hope you did not miss the part where he cried "excessive force" after tripping over his own feet while trying to bolt. After chokeholding a dude. And resisting arrest.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Cop kills someone while emailing and driving. DA admits as such, but because it was an "official" email, it was a justified killing.

http://www.dailynews.com/general-news/20140827/in-calabasas-death-of-cyclist-milton-olin-no-charges-against-typing-deputy posted:

Wood entered the bicycle lane as a result of inattention caused by typing into his (Mobile Digital Computer),” according to the declination letter prepared by the Justice System Integrity Division of the District Attorney’s Office and released Wednesday. “He was responding to a deputy who was inquiring whether the fire investigation had been completed. Since Wood was acting within the course and scope of his duties when he began to type his response, under Vehicle Code section 23123.5, he acted lawfully.”

The law does not prohibit officers from using an electronic wireless communications device in the performance of their duties, according to the letter. Furthermore, prosecutors said it was “reasonable” that Wood would have felt that an immediate response was necessary so that a Calabasas deputy wouldn’t unnecessarily respond to the high school.

To establish the crime of vehicular manslaughter, prosecutors would have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that Wood was criminally negligent. While GPS records show the deputy was driving three miles per hour over the speed limit prior to the collision, investigators could not determine his speed at the time of impact. And while Wood was texting shortly before the collision, there was no evidence he was texting or doing anything else that would have distracted him at the time of the collision, according to the letter.

In fact, evidence indicates Wood’s personal cellphone was only in use while his patrol car was not in motion, the letter stated.

“Wood briefly took his eyes away from the road precisely when the narrow roadway curved slightly to the left without prior warning, causing him to inadvertently travel straight into the bike lane, immediately striking Olin,” the letter from the DA’s Office stated.

Cue someone saying this is a good thing because no one deserves to go to jail for running someone over while you're emailing :rolleyes:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Vahakyla posted:

I hope you did not miss the part where he cried "excessive force" after tripping over his own feet while trying to bolt. After chokeholding a dude. And resisting arrest.

I hope you did not miss the part where "It was only after his arrest that police found out Vernier is a cop." (http://krqe.com/2014/05/02/nmsp-officer-arrested-after-assaulting-repo-man/)

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Trabisnikof posted:

I hope you did not miss the part where "It was only after his arrest that police found out Vernier is a cop." (http://krqe.com/2014/05/02/nmsp-officer-arrested-after-assaulting-repo-man/)

Hmm, I was under the impression that he did identify himself. Are you sure that does not mean immediately after effecting the arrest?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Vahakyla posted:

Hmm, I was under the impression that he did identify himself. Are you sure that does not mean immediately after effecting the arrest?

Well, the repo guy didn't know he was a cop either:

quote:

The repo man tells News 13 he had no idea Vernier was a police officer but, says he was surprised and scared at Vernier’s behavior.

When police arrived on scene, they say State Police Officer Charles Vernier was choking the driver and they ordered him to stop. According to the news release, after Vernier released the man he attempted to run from officers

Besides, Vernier wasn't actually active duty when he was arrested:

quote:

NMSP says Vernier has been with the department for about two years, and was on administrative leave at the time of the incident.

Sources tell News 13 Vernier was already being investigated by New Mexico State Police to determine if he was mentally competent to be an officer.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
You're a loose cannon Vernier! No like really, stop choking that guy.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

http://thefreethoughtproject.com/girl-calls-911-medical-assistance-boyfriend-cops-show-up-break-face-taser/

Wow! Great cops, keeping the world safe from a brown man with a white girlfriend.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Let me explain how his face tattoos justify the police illegally ordering him to the hospital then using force to gain compliance.
:cop:

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Trabisnikof posted:

Let me explain how his face tattoos justify the police illegally ordering him to the hospital then using force to gain compliance.
:cop:

And then let's park a police cruiser next to his place to remind him we can beat the living poo poo out of him again, if need be.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Oh look, pictures of what someone with an orbital fracture looks like.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Yeaaahh don't read the comments.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

he is white though?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Miltank posted:

he is white though?

Article says he's Latino.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Can you guys put it together that people can be white and Latino at the same time :psyduck:

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

SedanChair posted:

Can you guys put it together that people can be white and Latino at the same time :psyduck:

Other than Miltank, nobody said otherwise.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I guess the question is, did the police perceive him as Latino. If not it seems like a stretch to try and tie it to his treatment.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

ReV VAdAUL posted:

It isn't like regular citizens are going to be able to get high grade combat armor or armoured vehicles anyway. Paramilitary police at this point are pretty secure against violent resistance short of an insurgency and the DHS and NSA are well placed to quickly disrupt that. Plus any kind of violent resistance would have little to no pubic support and probably empower a violent response from reactionary white vigilantism.

When they're in trouble the police consistently want riots from people of colour, violent minorities scare whites and force them to align with the police. I wouldn't be surprised if the 'quality of life' crackdown for the NY West Indian parade were an attempt to get a violent reaction so as to diminish white criticism of NYPD racism.

I thought there were a lot of stories early on in the Iraq War about people sending body armor to troops who were going to or already in Iraq. I don't think it's that tightly controlled a product.

Anyway I think while well-organized cells of people would probably be very effective against most cops (given their terrible proficiency with firearms and being accustomed to most people cowering in the face of authority/force), you're absolutely right that the bigger issue is that such violence would have very little support among the general public.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Anyway I think while well-organized cells of people would probably be very effective against most cops (given their terrible proficiency with firearms and being accustomed to most people cowering in the face of authority/force), you're absolutely right that the bigger issue is that such violence would have very little support among the general public.

Yes! Let's keep the cops from applying those dumb rules with a group of well armed people with enough money and spare time to patrol the street! We'll call it the Krappy Kop Klub and make sure that the only justice is our justice. The kops will have to be accountable to us and we're accountable to god!

• Locked thread