Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Putin apologist- assume all uncited claims are from Russia Today or directly from FSB.

key phrases: Poor plucky little Russia, Spheres of influence, The West is Worse, they was asking for it.

Sergg posted:

I dunno how much better those SAA guys would've fared if the FSA had captured that base instead.

Would depend on precisly which "FSA" parts. Some should have had a chance of paying ransom, or perhaps even prisoner exchanges. Death would still be most likely I guess though.
I am not a fan of the FSA, or of arming it, but they arent quite on that level.

If you want historic analogies, compare the civil war in Syria/Iraq with the Great Russian civil war. IS are the Bolsheviks (completelely ruthless revolutionaries), Assad is the white guard (complete ruthless "status quo I stay in power guys"), the Kurds are Nestor Makhno (the least bad guys) and the Shia are the Petljura army (pretty inept, uneasy relationship with their patron/unwanted big brother) and Iran is Pilsudski Poland. I wonder if Iran gets a similiar dynamic towards IS as Civil War Poland had with the Soviets. Pilsudski explicitly didnt want to bring down the Soviet Union, because he (quite reasonably) thought that a communist Soviet Union could not enter into an Anti Polish alliance with a non communist Germany (he underestimated the attraction that Pariahs have on each other, but he propably didnt assume that Germany would stay a Phariah as long as it did).
Likewise, Iran has not exactly unjustified fears of encirclement, and IS is so far removed from alliances that they cant really be a part of an Anti Iranian encirclement.
The FSA would be an even less powerfull Kerensky gouverment lookalike I guess, they never had govermental powers.
This is kind of the lens from which Russia sees it, and propably also why they generally regarded an FSA victory as fantasy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
All this testing in the media about repositioning towards Assad is grossing me out. Was this the plan all along? Let the Islamists pillage and become demons, then quietly arm the bloodthirsty but tractable Baathist?

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Volkerball posted:

To what aim? Assad isn't going to yield an inch of power, and the rebels aren't going to give up without removing the Assad's from the government after everything they've sacrificed. Any attempts at a ceasefire would just be prolonging the inevitable, so I doubt either side would bother.

I'm not even saying its a good idea, but I really think the USA will want to at least LOOK like it's getting something out of Assad and I could possibly see "we'll shoot at ISIS, but only as long as you aren't shooting at the FSA" being something like that. Under no delusion that it wouldn't just be prolonging the inevitable, but taking some heat of Assad so he can put even more pressure on the FSA would bring up too much "why are we basically helping him fight the guys we're arming" for a lot of people's tastes, I think.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

I really don't get it. It just seems so bizarre that a group commits all these massive war crimes and just proudly broadcast it to the world and not like, at least try to cover it up like every other dickbag armed organisation in modern history.

It's as if the Nazis had posted a big headline every day in the German papers with the "Daily Murdered Jewish Child Count"

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
It's pure hubris. They truly believe they have God behind them and, so far, no one seems to want to be the ones to do anything about it.

I know things won't end well for ISIS but it's a question of how long away it is and what form their fall will take... not to mention the terrible suffering they inflict in the interim.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

reignonyourparade posted:

I'm not even saying its a good idea, but I really think the USA will want to at least LOOK like it's getting something out of Assad and I could possibly see "we'll shoot at ISIS, but only as long as you aren't shooting at the FSA" being something like that. Under no delusion that it wouldn't just be prolonging the inevitable, but taking some heat of Assad so he can put even more pressure on the FSA would bring up too much "why are we basically helping him fight the guys we're arming" for a lot of people's tastes, I think.

I get what you're saying. One thing that's interesting is I've been seeing journalists saying that Obama gets disgusted by the implication that he's helping the regime, even inadvertently. That might play a role in how enthusiastically the US attempts to fight ISIS in Syria. That is, assuming they think fighting ISIS would hurt the opposition more than it would Assad, which isn't clear.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Isn't a lot of ISIS ex-Baathists? I'm wondering if they're just expecting a repeat of last time. Do as much as they can before the west decides to intervene, get kicked out of power, told not to do it again, form Neo-ISIS, rinse, repeat.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Assad is really just only slightly better than ISIS. It's impressive how some people have already forgotten the charnel house he's turned Syria into, though I imagine a lot of those people were already okay with Assad to begin with.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Interesting interviews with Alawites in regime held territory starting to lose their poo poo. Not mentioned is how the regime has portrayed the soldiers at Taqba air base as expendable, when 250 of them were the ones who were just executed by ISIS. They're not stupid, and things like this are making it clear Assad doesn't have control of the situation. They also know exactly what the future holds if ISIS pushes into their territory. A lot mentioned things like the Tremseh and Houla massacres the regime committed nearby that they know haven't been forgotten.

http://www.al-monitor.com/pulse/originals/2014/08/syria-jihadist-threat-homs.html

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

SedanChair posted:

All this testing in the media about repositioning towards Assad is grossing me out. Was this the plan all along? Let the Islamists pillage and become demons, then quietly arm the bloodthirsty but tractable Baathist?

That was Assad's plan.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
Oh God, every time I check in on this thread it seems like everything has gotten worse.

Cippalippus posted:

It's amazing that all I need to scare the poo poo out of you guys (without even trying or wanting to) is simply to point out some facts which are under everyone's eyes. So, Mohammed being the most common name in England isn't noteworthy, and neither are the statistics on fertility rates of europeans. I'm sure that if you ignore facts for long enough, they just go away.

I remember the Texas GOP were freaking out when they read a similar names list and figured out that Jose was the most popular boys name in every state in the Southwest.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Brown Moses posted:

Here's a video which appears to be them being marched into the desert, work safe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQiVXr0KKDk

What kind of monster does this to fellow men? HOLD THE PHONE HORIZONTALLY :argh:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

SedanChair posted:

The original plan was probably similar to Gaddafi's departure. What you're seeing now is an alternate universe where Gaddafi managed to win.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I still think some naive people in the State Department thought Putin could/would ask Assad to step aside like Mubarak. But then the Muslim Brotherhood would be calling the shots in both countries, dontcha know?

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

drat, CNN just aired a story of ISIS carbomb victims in Kirkuk. Dem feels :smith:

Little girl with a mangled face, barely conscious engineering student covered in sutures, his voice all messed up due to neck injuries. :smithicide:

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Sergg posted:

drat, CNN just aired a story of ISIS carbomb victims in Kirkuk. Dem feels :smith:

Little girl with a mangled face, barely conscious engineering student covered in sutures, his voice all messed up due to neck injuries. :smithicide:

Only way to get CNN to cover hard foreign news is to get Obama to order air strikes on to watch on weekends.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

SedanChair posted:

Was this the plan all along? Let the Islamists pillage and become demons, then quietly arm the bloodthirsty but tractable Baathist?

What is this, 1979?

:smith: it's going to go down like this isn't it

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

FAUXTON posted:

What is this, 1979?

Don't worry, if that does happen then a decade down the line we'll stab him in the back in one of the annual American international interventions in/on/around things we don't like the look of and replace him with a biddable Western-friendly face to only light comment within Syria and it will all go perfectly according to plan.

Perfectly.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

FAUXTON posted:

What is this, 1979?

Plan? We don't need no stinkin' plans. All we need are interests, sometimes you listen to one, other times you ignore them completely while they run off to their own race.

Assad has no long-term plans; he has a very coherent and highly motivating long-term objective which he enacts through short-term policy decisions. Assad cares about 3 things: the survival of Assad, the survival of the Assad family, and the survival of minority power in Syria. If he surrenders any of those three things, none of those three will survive in the territory now known as Syria.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Sergg posted:

That was Assad's plan.

So the entire foreign policy apparatus of the United States got gamed by a lisping ophthalmologist with his triangle ferret face. Splendid!

HighClassSwankyTime
Jan 16, 2004

SedanChair posted:

So the entire foreign policy apparatus of the United States got gamed by a lisping ophthalmologist with his triangle ferret face. Splendid!

This sounds so stupid it's almost believable!!!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I really don't get it. It just seems so bizarre that a group commits all these massive war crimes and just proudly broadcast it to the world and not like, at least try to cover it up like every other dickbag armed organisation in modern history.

It's as if the Nazis had posted a big headline every day in the German papers with the "Daily Murdered Jewish Child Count"

I thought a lot of that was PR, mostly to recruit foreigners, showing them that ISIS is a 'strong' and 'feared' organisation. I've only seen a handful of interviews with foreigners who've joined ISIS but all of them seem them seem to show similar portraits of people who feel powerless in someway or looking for some meaning in their life. If you look at Neo-Nazi groups you see a similar pattern. You get a whole bunch of young gently caress ups joining these violent groups as they see the groups as a symbol of strength, and feel by joining they will no longer be just some random gently caress up, but they'll be someone who's working for something bigger than themselves, but also they'll be someone with 'real power', as shown by the violent acts the group encourages them to committee, or sometimes just be part of.

So yeah as what any reasonable person would see as an horrific meaningless ending of life, the people they are looking to recruit would probably see as a display of power.

Also seriously who cares about war crimes after the fact, outside the country they happened in? The media forgets in a couple of month and the few foreigner fighters who aren't killed will probably just bugger off to some other warzone when things go south. You often hear about the well known leaders of countries getting chased around for decades after but if your just some random ISIS gently caress up the likely hood of you seeing the inside of the Hague is unfortunately pretty much 0. If the Iraqi Army or the Kurds are actually taking any ISIS prisoners (heard a lot of news stories saying how many ISIS they've killed, don't think I've read a single one mention prisoners taken) pretty sure if they bothered with a trial there's more would be more than enough evidence to convict with out even using official ISIS statements. So yeah I guess from ISIS's point of view no real down side and plus helps with recruiting.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Save the Children UK had 250,000 polio vaccines expire on them. Here's there response to the controversy, as well as the counter-response by the journalist who broke the story.

http://www.nybooks.com/blogs/nyrblog/2014/aug/27/polio-syria-save-children-responds/

And here's an album of 100+ pictures showing some of the vaccines.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/mjapmi9nevbwh1m/AADJr_Aq1tyPzjjSxg3r4jQka#/

There's a box in the middle of the blue circle. Polio vaccines degrade in stages, and the condition of the white box determines what stage the vaccine is in. Solid white is Stage 1, the edges of the box turning dark while the middle remains white is Stage 2, and the box being fully dark is Stage 3, which is unusable.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

This video appears to show the bodies of the 200 soldiers the Islamic State executed.

Jobar, Damascus, is also getting hammered this morning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5q13REYErH4

There were reports of an opposition attack on a military barracks that killed dozens, and this appears to be in response. Perhaps a pre-planned operation moved up in the schedule in reaction to the earlier attacks.

Randandal
Feb 26, 2009

reignonyourparade posted:

I think Assad would prefer to keep ISIS around because by default he can get away with chemical weapons and other atrocities against all of his enemies carte blanche for as long as the US is more concerned about ISIS.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

If anyone fancies investigating a war crime we're looking at the Tabqa executions on Checkdesk, so come join us.

swizz
Oct 10, 2004

I can recall being broke with some friends in Tennessee and deciding to have a party and being able to afford only two-fifths of a $1.75 bourbon called Two Natural, whose label showed dice coming up 5 and 2. Its taste was memorable. The psychological effect was also notable.

Brown Moses posted:

This video appears to show the bodies of the 200 soldiers the Islamic State executed.

Jobar, Damascus, is also getting hammered this morning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5q13REYErH4

There were reports of an opposition attack on a military barracks that killed dozens, and this appears to be in response. Perhaps a pre-planned operation moved up in the schedule in reaction to the earlier attacks.

There's the photographic evidence, not that anyone doubted claims they'd been executed. Ugh

Brown Moses posted:

If anyone fancies investigating a war crime we're looking at the Tabqa executions on Checkdesk, so come join us.

right on, will be looking. so they were executed at a brick factory and buried nearby. Presumably between Taqba and Raqaa

swizz fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Aug 28, 2014

TheOtherContraGuy
Jul 4, 2007

brave skeleton sacrifice

Brown Moses posted:

This is perhaps naive, but has any other group ever been so excited to document its own war crimes?

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

TheOtherContraGuy posted:

This is perhaps naive, but has any other group ever been so excited to document its own war crimes?

The Khmer Rouge photographed all the people they marked for execution for record keeping (Assad does this too) - ISIL just likes to post things on facebook.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

The Assyrians. They practically boasted about the gruesome things they did to their enemies to destroy them and terrify them into obedience. In the age before internet and mass media though, but monuments and tablets do boast of how this and that king pierced the cheeks of his enemies, burned them alive in small cages, cut of their fingers, noses, ears and genitalia and other frightful stuff.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
Welp nothing like an ISIS video to make me feel sympathetic towards the people gassing kids.

Why'd they even surrender? Surely that's a fight past the last bullet situation if anything is?

54.4 crowns
Apr 7, 2011

To think before you speak is like wiping your arse before you shit.

When the Bosnian-Serb forces began occupying and cleansing cities, they had cameras that moved freely about to document how they rounded up Bosniaks and shots of trucks upon trucks being loaded up with bodies.

Course they got wise that this was a pretty stupid idea.

Serbian paramilitaries however massacred civilians both in Bosnia and Croatia with the express purpose to induce fears.

And Radovan Karadizch was still happy to be quoted "Sarajevans will not be counting the dead, they will be counting the living."

*whoops Freudian slip*

54.4 crowns fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Aug 28, 2014

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Brown Moses posted:

Your site is directing people to videos documenting the event, but they are hosted on Youtube, and Youtube will almost certainly pull them down if they become aware of their existence. Do you have any plans in place for reliable video hosting that you control for the various investigative activities you intend to facilitate? You really should set up a dedicated repository where people can place any kind of potential evidence that is discovered.

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.

SedanChair posted:

Rand Paul?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

XK posted:

Your site is directing people to videos documenting the event, but they are hosted on Youtube, and Youtube will almost certainly pull them down if they become aware of their existence. Do you have any plans in place for reliable video hosting that you control for the various investigative activities you intend to facilitate? You really should set up a dedicated repository where people can place any kind of potential evidence that is discovered.

I back them up myself, YouTube are actually pretty good about not pulling down the videos I reupload because they know who I am. It would be nice to have somewhere to store them online though.

54.4 crowns
Apr 7, 2011

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-28972436

Syria conflict: UN peacekeepers held in Golan Heights

quote:

Forty-three UN peacekeepers are being held by an "armed group" in the Syrian Golan Heights, a UN spokesperson says.

The UN Disengagement Observer Force (Undof) personnel were detained near Quneitra, during fighting between Syrian rebels and government forces.

Another 81 peacekeepers are being restricted to their positions in the vicinity of al-Ruwayhina and Burayqa.

It comes a day after rebels took control of a crossing into the Israeli-occupied Golan after a long battle.

Activists said the rebels included members of the al-Nusra Front, al-Qaeda's affiliate in Syria.

During the fighting, an Israeli soldier and an Israeli civilian were wounded by stray bullets. The Israeli military said it had responded with artillery fire at two Syrian army positions.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Randarkman posted:

The Assyrians. They practically boasted about the gruesome things they did to their enemies to destroy them and terrify them into obedience. In the age before internet and mass media though, but monuments and tablets do boast of how this and that king pierced the cheeks of his enemies, burned them alive in small cages, cut of their fingers, noses, ears and genitalia and other frightful stuff.

The Assyrians are kind of funny in just how out of the place they were even in pre-classical history. If they were born a few thousand of years later they would've loved to live in modern day Syria and Iraq!

Radio Prune
Feb 19, 2010
I don't really know much about the Assyrians. Inform me, Middle East Thread.

54.4 crowns
Apr 7, 2011

Radio Prune posted:

Basically they were the most hated civilization back in the day.

Basically the Boltons with wicked siege towers.

If I remember correctly there was an alliance of several powers that eventually led to their demise, and its citizen had to face poo poo ton of retribution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Radio Prune posted:

They were an ancient civ based out of Assur and Nineveh in what is now northern Iraq. They were an very militaristic state, and pioneered a lot of ancient siege warfare and logistical tactics, so that they could field an army year-round if needed to extract tribute from their neighbors. If their neighbors gave up the tribute without a fight, they got to provide labor and resources to the empire, if they resisted or rebelled they would be massacred/mass tortured and then the survivors would be relocated elsewhere in the empire, with new peoples moved in. They liked to advertise what they did in monuments all over the empire, just to remind people how they rolled. They were around for a long time (~1200 years or so) with an Old Assyrian, Middle Assyrian, and "New" Assyrian kingdoms. A Persian/Medean/Babylonian alliance ended up erasing their cities from the map after a couple of attempts at trying.

• Locked thread