Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Because I have grown fat on the teet that is LarchHolder and I never complete.
I really need to reevaluate my starting strategy and such

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Dashticle posted:

Don't breach until year 3. There is usually nothing there I want. A forgotten beast with the wrong kind of breath will ruin any military, and the ones with webs can just freeze your military and blow straight past. Unless I see a bunch of precious metals around the cavern I just let them keep it.

Do building destroyers destroy constructed floors by the way (from below or otherwise)? And, pertinent to the upcoming possible collaboration LP, can save games be swapped between Linux and Windows DF? First glance on google says yes, just wondering if anyone can confirm.

As of right now, wall and floor constructions cannot be destroyed. That may eventually change when Toady implements sapping.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

HerrBrau posted:

Yeah, they can.

I keep my saves on Dropbox and symlink the save folder on my Windows desktop and Mac laptop. Works pretty nicely!

In fact, when Internet Kraken and I were double-teaming Gemclod (I think that was the one?) we just put the save on github, and would just push and pull to there each time we started/stopped playing. I'm on a mac, I think he's on windows, and everything went fantastically well.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
This thread is a wealth of information! I just found: I've mined under a tree and it's given me an above ground farm plot, apparently the root square lets light in. Hopefully it doesn't allow a path in to the fortress. I need some goblins to show up, also to test all this stupid poo poo I built for them. Second year siege got scared off by the miner I left outside when my army turned on him.

Hopefully it's safe and I'm not gonna get anything getting in/a branch collapse that takes out my entire fort(is this a thing? Those surface collapse messages worry me) cos I wanna grow some motherfuckin' raspberries.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Dashticle posted:

This thread is a wealth of information! I just found: I've mined under a tree and it's given me an above ground farm plot, apparently the root square lets light in.

Holy poo poo, so THIS is why some of my farm plots won't grow any underground crops.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Yeah when you cut down a 2x2 tree it sometimes leaves an open space in the ground so... 2 z-levels for underground farms now.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

Spanish Matlock posted:

Yeah when you cut down a 2x2 tree it sometimes leaves an open space in the ground so... 2 z-levels for underground farms now.

Do tree collapses punch through floors like regular cave-ins, do you know?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Oh hi toad what's the haps

Toady One posted:

Investigated a crash for a while... it came down to some underground population corruption, but it's still unclear what's going on. Dwarves leading goblin prisoners around appear to continue to be attacked by dwarven soldiers, and I might have fixed that again, but it needs some testing.

Also as an aside, try removing all constraints on minimum this or desired number of these squares that from your advanced world generation parameters. The generator comes up with much more creative poo poo.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Does anybody have a working download link for the starting pack for x_10 ? The links on the forum seem to all point to a broken page, and im not fnding any mirrors.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

Roundboy posted:

Does anybody have a working download link for the starting pack for x_10 ? The links on the forum seem to all point to a broken page, and im not fnding any mirrors.

https://dffd.wimbli.com/download.php?id=7622&f=Dwarf+Fortress+40_10+Starter+Pack+r1.zip

:confused:

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle
Just dropping in after not having played this for over a year, since before vampires and murder mysteries anyway. What are the main changes for someone who kinda sucks at it?

Are hospitals still hell to set up? Traction bench construction, constant food and water delivery, plaster poo poo, etc?
Do you still basically need danger rooms to adequately train a military?
Does the game still chug to a crawl eventually no matter what you do because of the game keeping track of EVERYTHING FOREVER?
Catsplosions?
Is royalty still useless and annoying?
Is justice still "gently caress dwarves up with a hammer"?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Locke Dunnegan posted:

Are hospitals still hell to set up? Traction bench construction, constant food and water delivery, plaster poo poo, etc?
Does the game still chug to a crawl eventually no matter what you do because of the game keeping track of EVERYTHING FOREVER?
Catsplosions?
  • Nah, hospitals have been working fine since version 34. Aside from the furniture, you only really need cloth and thread (animal hair thread is fantastic for this purpose), a crutch for every potential legloser and a few splints. You can reuse those.
  • Not really, no! Recruits actually spar now. Archers are a little more obtuse, but they work too.
  • Yes. Even more so than before, actually, now that the world runs constantly in the background.
  • No, :iit:
  • The work exemption has been broken for ages, so they in fact do things other than complain. Before you get all execution-happy over their impossible mandates, know that the positions actually inherit now.
  • In the end, but you now have some say in the sentencing.

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

I don't understand how you can be so mistaken.

Locke Dunnegan posted:

No. The overstocking problem has been fixed. Traction benches and plaster were never really necessary; just keep a few splints handy and you'll be fine.

quote:

No. Dwarves will spar much more frequently and thereby train combat skills.

quote:

Yes. It's worse now, because the game is simulating the entire world in the background. You can mitigate the old fortress-FPS issues in check by magma-dumping excess clothing/furniture/etc, and control the new world-sim load by playing on small worlds with short histories.

quote:

Catsplosions?
Unchanged, I think. DFHack allows you to euthanize (or exile from the map) the pets of citizens, so you're able to eliminate them entirely if they're causing problems.

quote:

Yeah, but that's a feature.

quote:

Yes, but if you're willing to do a bit of micromanagement then you can usually get dwarves imprisoned rather than murdered.

quote:

What are the main changes for someone who kinda sucks at it?
  • World history continues during gameplay. Diplomats will inform you about sites being conquered, the succession of noble lineages, etc.
    • Similarly, you can retire a fortress to let it run in the background while you setup another fortress (or pursue an adventuring career) and then resume management of it later. Assuming, of course, that it doesn't get conquered by goblins in the interim. That tends to happen a lot, because the code is buggy at the moment.
  • Trees are now multi-tile and yield multiple logs when felled. They're also pretty.
  • Lots of minor quality-of-life bugfixes.
  • Textile industry is slightly more productive, because shearing an animal can now yield multiple units of hair.
  • Mining was overhauled slightly - the probability of yielding a boulder when mining is now fixed (instead of skill-based) and is much lower than it used to be. To compensate, smelting a single boulder yields multiple bars of metal. Boulders are also really loving heavy.
    • Net result: less rock clutter, but you're pretty much forced to use wheelbarrows and minecarts for long-distance rock hauling.
  • Modders have made some noteworthy additions to the game, such as multi-Z-level rendering. You can also fling corpses at your enemies via catapults (and watch them trace out actual ballistic arcs!), which is hilarious although not very effective.
  • Creatures have emotions and will panic when they see scary things.
    • This is currently over-tuned; invaders will sometimes abandon a siege and flee the map after glimpsing a single Deer carcass.
  • Movement speed and action/combat speed are decoupled. It's possible to have a fast-moving creature (e.g. cheetah) which can easily catch up to its foes but which doesn't get to attack ten times per round.
  • There is an abundance of new plants and fruits (seriously... there are 4 different varieties of millet). Most of them can be turned into alchol.
  • Creatures (including your dwarves) can climb trees. Invaders can climb your walls. If your defensive strategy relies heavily on walls, then there are ways to inhibit climbing.
  • You can put an absolute cap on your population (which helps to control FPS stagnation).
  • Dwarves have dreams and aspirations (such as "I want to create a masterwork item"). You're free to ignore them, of course - they just provide a minor happiness boost if they're achieved.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Personally I think the main benefit of hospitals is disinfection. Cleaning with soap saves far more lives than any cast.

Is anyone having problems in .08 with permanently-drowsy dwarves? they can't sleep (because they're drowsy) so they inevitably go insane on me

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

GulMadred posted:

No. The overstocking problem has been fixed. Traction benches and plaster were never really necessary; just keep a few splints handy and you'll be fine.

When was it fixed? In 40.04 I was still getting every single piece of thread and cloth in my fortress being brought to my hospital until I had about ten million supplied out of 10 thousand requested of each.

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

I don't understand how you can be so mistaken.

Gus Hobbleton posted:

When was it fixed? In 40.04 I was still getting every single piece of thread and cloth in my fortress being brought to my hospital until I had about ten million supplied out of 10 thousand requested of each.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Well that explains it.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

that explains it, the link provided n the forums was missing a large part of this. Thanks!

Edit: Neither this link or http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7622 works for me.. i get "This webpage is not available"

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

GulMadred posted:

No. Dwarves will spar much more frequently and thereby train combat skills.

Perhaps. But melee gain is slow, the little buggers barely learn missile skills, and they flat-out refuse to properly equip themselves. It also seems to take them about a month to muster.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
With the revamp of blunt damage and pulping and such, danger rooms are much more dangerous and tend to be better at training your doctors and corpse haulers right now.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

...I haven't had a danger room death or even injury in years, what the hell are you all doing wrong?

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
My elaborate drowning room / trap walkway lined with about 500 menacing copper spikes proved drastically ineffective, updated version on the way. Also it seems it's still a known bug that your military treat as hostile any dwarf that fails to pit a prisoner, to be fixed (possibly) in .11 , so now I've got a Forgotten Beast sitting in a battle arena lined with about 200 more spikes, and 20 goblins and trolls with no easy way of feeding them to him. Hmm. I guess actually a pair of bridges over the pit might do it. Guess it's time to go tinker about for a bit more.

e: Oh and, prisoners escape all the loving time. I was using the wiki suggestion of having the stockpile around the pitting area, all prisoners only one square away from a hole, all holes covered with a forbidden hatch, and it still only worked ~50% of the time for unarmed goblins.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Aug 27, 2014

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Ghostwoods posted:

they flat-out refuse to properly equip themselves

I think I've got that figured out. You need to make any adjustments to the uniform before forming the squad, changes made to the uniform may not be acknowledged. So if the uniform was set to "metal armor" and I want to change it to a metal mail shirt and a metal breastplate, the only way I've found to get them to make the change reliably is to disband the squad and then reform it with the new uniform.

All uniforms must be set to replace clothing, not wear over clothing, or else they simply can't equip boots at all because their shoes are in the way.

Oh, and if you want them to wear socks and boots, the socks have to be in the list above the boots. If the boots are first they may wind up missing a boot for some reason.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Armor#Other_Restrictions

Dashticle posted:

My elaborate drowning room / trap walkway lined with about 500 menacing copper spikes proved drastically ineffective, updated version on the way. Also it seems it's still a known bug that your military treat as hostile any dwarf that fails to pit a prisoner, to be fixed (possibly) in .11 , so now I've got a Forgotten Beast sitting in a battle arena lined with about 200 more spikes, and 20 goblins and trolls with no easy way of feeding them to him. Hmm. I guess actually a pair of bridges over the pit might do it. Guess it's time to go tinker about for a bit more.

e: Oh and, prisoners escape all the loving time. I was using the wiki suggestion of having the stockpile around the pitting area, all prisoners only one square away from a hole, all holes covered with a forbidden hatch, and it still only worked ~50% of the time for unarmed goblins.

I've given up on pitting, and I'm using fewer cage traps. Hooking all the cages to a lever has gotten to be less of a headache than any of the other ways to get them out of a cage.

On the upside, I've found that stonefall traps are better than I remember. Broken arms seem pretty common, even with goblins since they don't wear arm protection. I haven't had anything outright killed by a stonefall trap, but lots of things are injured enough to pass out. Weretortise turned back into a naked dwarf right under a stonefall trap which immediately triggered, he broke both his arms and passed out, for easy punch-murder by my completely untrained military. Sometimes a gobbo will dodge or take more than one hit to stop moving, so need more of them than cage traps, but they are not completely useless.

dead horse
Oct 9, 2012

Angela Christine posted:

I think I've got that figured out. You need to make any adjustments to the uniform before forming the squad, changes made to the uniform may not be acknowledged. So if the uniform was set to "metal armor" and I want to change it to a metal mail shirt and a metal breastplate, the only way I've found to get them to make the change reliably is to disband the squad and then reform it with the new uniform.

there's a key (I think U) in the equip screen that lets you assign uniforms to dwarves, and shift-enter will do it for the entire squad. you have to reassign a uniform to "update" the changes to them too

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

dead horse posted:

there's a key (I think U) in the equip screen that lets you assign uniforms to dwarves, and shift-enter will do it for the entire squad. you have to reassign a uniform to "update" the changes to them too

Oooh, I'll have to try that.

In other news, leather dresses for everyone!

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
Leather clothing also counts as armor for the purposes of the Armor Use skill, so civilians decked out like bikers will fare much better in combat over time.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
How did this happen??

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If I had to guess, possibly the workshop was full of various amounts of processed quarry bush leaf and someone took a giant stack of fish or something to complete the meal?

DF is weird with stacks, dorfs don't tend to stack things together most of the time but if they do get a huge stack, then will sometimes use the whole thing, and obviously with food, it just mushes all the ingredients together and bases the resulting stack size on the sum of the components.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

Crimson Harvest posted:

How did this happen??

"How did you find the fish, sir?"
"Well I just lifted up the quarry bush leaf and there it was."

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

PublicOpinion posted:

"How did you find the fish, sir?"
"Well I just lifted up the quarry bush leaf and there it was."

He probably didn't even notice the tiny fish was in the pile of greens.

This is a Sailfin Molly

Guppies are even smaller. Having them in food is so weird.

Imagine the proud fisherdwarfs. "Any luck today Urist?" "Yes, I caught a dozen!" *holds out tiny handful of fish*

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
Just a pinch, otherwise you might drown the quarry bush leaf.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
That stack of food my dorfs made was worth 88k :O

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
So, new world, new fort, I'm trying to get my dwarves to build the depot when the trader turns up. Hes a goblin. I check my (dwarven) civilization and notice that all the barons and baronesses are Goblins.

Great. Apparently I've just been handed the same universe as Bronzestabbed!

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

Why do shirts, coats and cloaks protect the fingers and toes, but not the hands and feet that they're attached to? :psydwarf:

I'm also trying to picture how a toga protects the face, but not a mask, head veil or face veil

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would guess the finger and toe protection is maybe to stop them suffering from temperature changes? As in you can put your hands in your pockets to stop them freezing off. Same with the toga? Heavy fabric and whatnot.

I dunno though, I don't even remember if frostbite is on the list of stupid crap DF models, or whether it used to be, or whether it's half implemented?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

super fart shooter posted:

Why do shirts, coats and cloaks protect the fingers and toes, but not the hands and feet that they're attached to? :psydwarf:

I'm also trying to picture how a toga protects the face, but not a mask, head veil or face veil

It's a big fat dumbass bug.

A garment with UBSTEP:0 is a vest, UBSTEP:1 covers the upper arms, UBSTEP:2 extends to the wrists and UBSTEP:3+/MAX shouldn't do anything to normal humanoids anymore since sleeves can't extend over [GRASP] bits, but it erroneously covers the bodyparts subordinate to them - fingers on hands, toes on feet and facial features on the head.

Really, switching out all the UB/LB/UPSTEP bits from MAX to 2 at most on all garments is enough to sidestep the unintended behavior.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

scamtank posted:

A garment with UBSTEP:0 is a vest, UBSTEP:1 covers the upper arms, UBSTEP:2 extends to the wrists and UBSTEP:3+/MAX shouldn't do anything to normal humanoids anymore since sleeves can't extend over [GRASP] bits, but it erroneously covers the bodyparts subordinate to them - fingers on hands, toes on feet and facial features on the head.

Really, switching out all the UB/LB/UPSTEP bits from MAX to 2 at most on all garments is enough to sidestep the unintended behavior.

No I actually really like the idea that all dorf clothing comes with tiny socks for your individual fingers and toes, connected to the main garment by minute threads.

It would explain why dwarven clothing wears out so fast.

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

scamtank posted:

Yeah http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=1821

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

OwlFancier posted:

No I actually really like the idea that all dorf clothing comes with tiny socks for your individual fingers and toes, connected to the main garment by minute threads.

It would explain why dwarven clothing wears out so fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

"Al mio amore Dilkington, Gennaro"
Dwarves are weird