Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Mikey Purp posted:

I'm headed to Denver next week to visit the in-laws. I've been a few times and have visited the usual suspects (Falling Rock, Argonaut, Crooked Stave, Great Divide, Avery, Stranahan's) but my wife has asked me to come up with one or two MUST SEE places for this trip.

So what say you, CO goons? What TWO Denver/FOCO/Boulder breweries and/or bars should we visit this time around?

If you can make it to Golden (easy if you're heading to Boulder), stop at Cannonball Creek. Legitimately one of the best breweries in the state, but quite under the radar despite winning I think 2 medals at GABF last year. Golden City Brewing and Mountain Toad are also ok, but not quite up to CCBC's level.

Docjowles posted:

Eliminating the places you listed, River North in Denver is a great hidden gem. Then I'd suggest one out of Equinox, Funkwerks, City Star or Grimm Bros if you're interested in heading north. Those are all places making great beer that you almost certainly can't find back home.

Also in the River North area is Epic, Black Shirt, and Stem Ciders, all of which are great. Slightly east of downtown is Vine Street Pub, which is the same as Mountain Sun in Boulder, but if you've never been, it's pretty good beer and excellent food for cheap.

Denver Beer Co makes delicious beer and is in an old auto garage. They have matured into a pretty darn good brewery and you absolutely cannot beat the building and location.

TRVE is on south Broadway, metal themed and a fun spot. Good beer.

Hops and Pie is in a fun little neighborhood in Denver. Great taplist and very good pizza. One of my favorite spots in the city, plus they're close to Small Batch Liquors which is a decent bottle shop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Sweet, I'm stoked to have a list of new place to check out! We'll definitely hit River North and the surrounding places you mentioned, and will keep the Golden trip in mind too. Thanks Doc and Eejit!

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Kaiho posted:

Avery would be cool, I'll see if he's able to get anything from them. Do Cascade actually distribute well? I've asked my guy for Crooked Stave stuff and so far nothing.

Avery's special releases tend to come and go rather quickly- the most recent was a "quintuple" called 5 Monks, so that might still be around. i've seen Cascade in shops in the Raleigh/Durham area, but i don't think you're gonna have any luck with Crooked Stave- i think a lot of their out-of-state distribution is for one-off festivals and things like that, not for regular shelves.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
I live in NJ and we get no special Avery beers. Just their bombers of imperial stuff, but nothing off the walls. Shame, they're a good brewery.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Evil Twin Sour Bikini is a tasty hopped-up Berliner weiss (which they market as a sour pale ale). Makes sense. Would love this in cans, unfortunately the Evil Twin tax is abound...

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Mikey Purp posted:

Sweet, I'm stoked to have a list of new place to check out! We'll definitely hit River North and the surrounding places you mentioned, and will keep the Golden trip in mind too. Thanks Doc and Eejit!

Yeah I've been saying that someone needs to do a River North beer bus for quite some time now because it's full of good beer. There two other breweries in the area, Beryl Brewing and Our Mutual Friend, although neither is worth a stop right now, but that area is super beer dense and for the most part it's quite good.

e: If you want to grab a beer somewhere around town I would be down, although if you're running around with the in-laws I can understand that would be weird haha. Just shoot me a PM if you're interested.

funkybottoms posted:

Avery's special releases tend to come and go rather quickly- the most recent was a "quintuple" called 5 Monks, so that might still be around. i've seen Cascade in shops in the Raleigh/Durham area, but i don't think you're gonna have any luck with Crooked Stave- i think a lot of their out-of-state distribution is for one-off festivals and things like that, not for regular shelves.

Crooked Stave regular offerings are abundant in CO though. If you wanted to get some, it would be very easy to arrange it. And actually the tap room at the Source often times has some of the more limited stuff just sitting in the cooler.

Eejit fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Aug 27, 2014

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.

crazyfish posted:

Evil Twin Sour Bikini is a tasty hopped-up Berliner weiss (which they market as a sour pale ale). Makes sense. Would love this in cans, unfortunately the Evil Twin tax is abound...

Yeah, I was curious to try that but I'm having a tough time justifying the cost. I actually really liked the Hipster Ale, but I'm certainly not going to pay for it again.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Evil Twin makes half good, half mediocre beer that's super overpriced, and Jeppe is an rear end in a top hat. Don't buy Evil Twin.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Won't be able to get this sadly....

http://jesterkingbrewery.com/introducing-jester-king

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

I had a four-pack of Evil Twin's 'I Love You With My Stout' this past week and it was very good. Would buy again, though at the same price point Ten Fidy is hard to pass up.

Bell's Mars is a pretty solid DIPA, glad I was able to score a six-pack. Way big on the pineapple flavors. Thought I heard someone saying they bought it for $19.99 - is that for real? I paid $12.99.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

air- posted:

Mostly updated:
http://www.legionofawesomebeer.com/index.php?title=Houston

Specific part of town where you are staying/visiting and your modes of transportation (as well as how far you're willing to go) would help a lot.

Downtown, Crowne Plaza hotel, close to a Spec's and the red line. No car (because I plan on drinking!), but I got a metro card and can hail a cab just fine. Something with breakfast/brunch options, or TVs to watch college football.

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007
Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way, wouldn't I?
Foothills released the details for this year's BA Sexual Chocolate release on Sept. 6th, and the really big news is that they're upping allotments from 4/per to 6/per person. That line has gotten much bigger much earlier every year I've been, so they must have really expanded production this past year (or a lot of people are gonna be mad).

Anyone coming down this year? The bottle share from 8-10 is always pretty epic, with crazy whales getting opened all over the place.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

a worthy uhh posted:

Evil Twin makes half good, half mediocre beer that's super overpriced, and Jeppe is an rear end in a top hat. Don't buy Evil Twin.

Eh, Jeppe over Mikkel imo

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Beer-wise they're equivalent IMO. Mikkel isn't an rear end in a top hat that I know of. I tend not to buy either, but there are some gems.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

AFAIK they're both assholes, but not in a way that really manifests towards the consumer, unlike, say, Rogue and (as of late with their kickstarter) Stone.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Someone just posted this on Talkbeer :allears:

Coco13 posted:

Downtown, Crowne Plaza hotel, close to a Spec's and the red line. No car (because I plan on drinking!), but I got a metro card and can hail a cab just fine. Something with breakfast/brunch options, or TVs to watch college football.

Nearest: Flying Saucer, Hay Merchant - both will have tv's and food. MvC in Midtown is also not very far.

If I were you, I would take a cab to D&T.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!
I'm currently re-blasting Central Waters BBA Barleywine (thanks broom) and dear god it is so delicious. I don't have a lot of access to tapes of this nature around here though I have a Sucaba on the way soon and I've been tossing around the idea of ordering some Straight Jacket from the Beer Temple. Are there any other good barrel aged barleywines that are decently easy to find in the Great Lakes region? Or for that matter, any super good ones that are reasonably priced so I can get drunk one day and order them online?

I've had Weyerbacher Insanity and thought it was great but the Central Waters is almost twice as good. I also have an Olde Bluehair in my fake cellar (the living room floor) though apparently some of the bottles were infected, so we'll see how that turns out.

edit: I should note also that this is the only thing I went back for thirds of at the Great Taste. ~*No ReGrEtS*~

double extreme edit: speaking of the Taste, does Haymarket bottle anything? I loved everything I tried from them and they may have been my favorite brewery of the fest.

krustster fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Aug 28, 2014

nosleep
Jan 20, 2004

Let the liquor do the thinkin'

a worthy uhh posted:

Every Evil Twin stout I've had I thought has been great. Lil' B is a huge 11% porter that I also really really liked. I managed to snag a BA imperial biscotti break this year that I'm looking forward to opening too. Their other stuff I haven't really tried cause I've heard it's just so-so. I had regular imperial biscotti break on draft and wasn't impressed enough to drop 17-20 bucks on a bottle but so far I've liked what I've had.

It's definitely pricey but a lot of it is easy enough to find that I've grabbed a bottle here and there and not been disappointed.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!

nosleep posted:

Every Evil Twin stout I've had I thought has been great. Lil' B is a huge 11% porter that I also really really liked. I managed to snag a BA imperial biscotti break this year that I'm looking forward to opening too. Their other stuff I haven't really tried cause I've heard it's just so-so. I had regular imperial biscotti break on draft and wasn't impressed enough to drop 17-20 bucks on a bottle but so far I've liked what I've had.

It's definitely pricey but a lot of it is easy enough to find that I've grabbed a bottle here and there and not been disappointed.

I thought Molotov Cocktail was a really flavorful and unique IPA, although the 13% alcohol was pretty noticeable. Hipster Ale was pretty bland and useless for me. Justin Blabaer was a very good berliner weiss despite its complete lack of the advertised blueberries, but we already had that conversation months ago.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

crazyfish posted:

So I haven't been to the Revolution taproom in a while, but they just beamed me a mug club email that is going to make me drop everything and go tomorrow:

quote:

On tap starting tomorrow 8/27 is a Eugene Porter with Dark Matter coffee and cocoa nibs. After that keg is gone, we'll have a Eugene Porter with raspberry and cocoa nibs (pictured). While these beers aren't meant to be widely released, they're something fun for you to try if you can!

So I went and had this today, and I was not blown away. One surprising thing was that this beer was served on nitro, which may or may not have been a good idea for it. The idea of Eugene on nitro is awesome, but since I typically drink coffee eugene on carb...maybe a bit less pumped. Regardless, good beer, heavy on the cocoa, but not something I would seek out again.

However, today's trip did learn me one little tidbit: There is currently some Straight Jacket resting in a couple cognac barrels. Saw that and got an instant beer boner.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

crazyfish posted:

AFAIK they're both assholes, but not in a way that really manifests towards the consumer, unlike, say, Rogue and (as of late with their kickstarter) Stone.

Jeppe seems to be much more of an rear end in a top hat to other people in the industry, as he's blown me off several times since I first met him in Denmark and he loves to poo poo-talk other brewers and breweries. I mean, he shot off this gem when BCBS 2013 came out: https://twitter.com/EvilTwinBrewing/statuses/406552411973910528

I'm not a fan of either of them, though, since neither one seems to respect the craft or science of brewing, or the industry in general, and neither will actually do their own drat work.

ANYWAY

A good friend of mine finished his last day of bartending at Norse Bar on Sunday, not too long before I'm also departing the Rogers Park area, so I felt compelled to visit and hang out. I brought a bottle of Lolita from my Goose days to split, which has gotten a bit more funky and tasty but is still a bit one-dimensional for a wild ale. We went to a party at his friend's place that had a bunch of WALEZBRO bottles to share. Among the best were Russian River Supplication (an excellent sour), Port Barrel Dark Lord (which is delicious but still cloying and just shy of excellent), and DuClaw Sweet Baby Jesus (which really is like liquid Reese's peanut butter cup, holy poo poo).

In Lagunitas news, the first quart bottles of Lagunitas Sucks rolled off the line in Chicago today. :q: I'm so happy we got to brew this one.

Cromlech
Jan 5, 2007

TOODLES

Cervixalot posted:

I had a four-pack of Evil Twin's 'I Love You With My Stout' this past week and it was very good. Would buy again, though at the same price point Ten Fidy is hard to pass up.

Bell's Mars is a pretty solid DIPA, glad I was able to score a six-pack. Way big on the pineapple flavors. Thought I heard someone saying they bought it for $19.99 - is that for real? I paid $12.99.

I could see Philly shops charging that even though its probably not legal to so so because lol Philly. Read: shop selling Beer Camp 12 packs for 50 bucks and the shop getting away with it.

Hey Midorka, is the Canal's in Bell Mawr any good? As in, good selections, draft list, prices? And do they put their draft lists online anywhere?

Cromlech fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Aug 28, 2014

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Ubik posted:

In Lagunitas news, the first quart bottles of Lagunitas Sucks rolled off the line in Chicago today. :q: I'm so happy we got to brew this one.

Mmmmm. I wouldn't mind some nice couple day old Sucks.

Also I had the Calabaza Boreal a day or two ago, actually enjoyed it quite a bit. JP tart and bit of funk with a lot of grapefruit....which is my favorite fruit, soooooo yeah. Right up my alley.

And just 1 day away from heading up to Grand Rapids! Wooo!

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007
Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way, wouldn't I?

Ubik posted:

gently caress Yea

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Interesting things from my weekly Wednesday tasting:

Jester King Detritivore - tastes like sour pie cherries and lemon zest. I loved it.
Aztec Brewery Hibiscus Wheat - not much to this one, it's vaguely wheaty and vaguely flowery/fruity. Seems like a decent water replacement.
CCB/Terrapin Southern Slice - It's like the CCB guys decided to make a Southern Tier beer: it tastes like pecan pie and diabetes.
Jolly Pumpkin Bam Noire (2010) - This was my contribution, an "oops this has been in the back of my beer cabinet for far too long" discovery. Primary aroma was under-ripe banana. Flavor was very, very dry, almost no malt profile at all. Slight tartness, a little bitterness but there wasn't much of anything left in this beer. Prime example of an idiot curating a beer that should be consumed fresh.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Birthday beer drinking was successful last night. Didn't get to open everything I wanted, but everything we did open was fantastic. I pulled out a bunch of old favorites to celebrate the day

Selin's Grove Saison de Peche - Half of a leftover growler from the night before. Ridiculous over the top peach flavor. It's basically juice.
Firestone Walker Sucaba 2014 - I meant to grab an older bottle out of the cellar but picked this one by mistake. Oh well. Still one of my favorites.
Upright Blend Love - Pronounced oak and raspberry. Tart with a very slight funk. This one is a sleeper. No one called it "great" but it was one of the fastest bottles we went through. Such an easy drinker.
Hunahpu 2014 - King of beers.
Good Gourd Almighty 2013 - Easily one of the best pumpkin beers made. Even people who hate on pumpkin beer can't say anything bad about this one.

We didn't manage to get to the Dark Lord or the 2010 Cantillon Lou Pepe Gueuze. Next time I guess.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

HatfulOfHollow posted:

Good Gourd Almighty 2013 - Easily one of the best pumpkin beers made. Even people who hate on pumpkin beer can't say anything bad about this one.

I can: it's still a pumpkin beer!

GGA is the Papa Johns pizza of pumpkin beers: it's the best of the national pizza chains, but that's really not saying a whole lot in the grand pizza-scheme of things. Being the best of an awful thing is an accomplishment but not one to be proud of.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

danbanana posted:

I can: it's still a pumpkin beer!

GGA is the Papa Johns pizza of pumpkin beers: it's the best of the national pizza chains, but that's really not saying a whole lot in the grand pizza-scheme of things. Being the best of an awful thing is an accomplishment but not one to be proud of.

You... are a monster.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

HatfulOfHollow posted:

You... are a monster.

I know my Papa Johns opinion isn't terribly popular, but if I'm eating bad pizza, I want my bad pizza to be unique. PJ's dough is weird and sweet and at least that's different than the garbage Pizza Hut or Dominoes or Little Fuckin' Caesar's does.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

HatfulOfHollow posted:

You... are a monster.

You also have to bear in mind that he lives around Chicago, which means that we have far higher standards for our pizza. Everyone likes to talk poo poo about the "pizza casserole" that people like to call Chicago pizza, but most people don't know about square cut thin crust, served with a 1 liter of RC. That's real Chicago pizza.

I still maintain that Almanac pumpkin barleywine is the only pumpkin beer I would purchase.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

crazyfish posted:

I still maintain that Almanac pumpkin barleywine is the only pumpkin beer I would purchase.

That and GGA are where I draw the line as well.

Didn't see this get posted here yet. Texas only I am out of the shipping trade game for now, unless that Fen Tau gets me something amazing

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004
Why do people square cut circle(non sheet) pizzas? This drives me up a wall.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Ubik posted:

Had my first Maximus last night. Excellent beer. Won't be passing it up any more.

Cromlech posted:

Hey Midorka, is the Canal's in Bell Mawr any good? As in, good selections, draft list, prices? And do they put their draft lists online anywhere?

We're only affiliated by name. I've never been there so I'm not sure. Sorry.

crazyfish posted:

square cut thin crust, served with a 1 liter of RC. That's real Chicago pizza.

I used to get this as a kid, haven't seen it in a LONG time in NJ though. Philly has a really loving awesome pizza scene though. Just go to Pizza Brain!

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

atothesquiz posted:

Why do people square cut circle(non sheet) pizzas? This drives me up a wall.

Because it's the ideal situation for people who want crusts and people who don't want crusts. The latter are loving stupid though, because everyone knows the best piece is the "corner," where it's like 99% crust in a tiny little triangle.

More off topic: I like the "casserole" style from certain places (Edwardo's pesto stuffed is stupid loving good) and the pan-butter crust stylings of Pequod's is by far the best pie in Chicago. PIece is loving crazy good, too. So... basically pizza is loving awesome and now I'm hungry.

air- posted:

Didn't see this get posted here yet. Texas only I am out of the shipping trade game for now, unless that Fen Tau gets me something amazing

So this is Pirate with whiskey instead of rum? Or Noir with Bomb's spicings?

air-
Sep 24, 2007

danbanana posted:

More off topic: I like the "casserole" style from certain places (Edwardo's pesto stuffed is stupid loving good) and the pan-butter crust stylings of Pequod's is by far the best pie in Chicago. So... basically pizza is loving awesome and now I'm hungry.

So this is Pirate with whiskey instead of rum? Or Noir with Bomb's spicings?

Take me to get a pizza next time I'm in Chicago.

My impression is it's Pirate but they put 'em in Balcones whiskey barrels instead of rum. Noir and Bomb are from the same Prairie base stout, but Bible Belt uses Even More Jesus as the base.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

Midorka posted:

Philly has a really loving awesome pizza scene though. Just go to Pizza Brain!

Or Tacconelli's or Santucci's or Francoluigi's. Let the pizza wars begin.

edit - For a fun time go to the Philadelphia thread and post "Where can I get the best cheesesteak?"

deedee megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Aug 28, 2014

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

air- posted:

Take me to get a pizza next time I'm in Chicago.

My impression is it's Pirate but they put 'em in Balcones whiskey barrels instead of rum. Noir and Bomb are from the same Prairie base stout, but Bible Belt uses Even More Jesus as the base.

I think Art of Pizza is BYOB, so you can grip a killer casserole-style slice and bottleshare the night away. Or we can just have some pizzas delivered to my apartment. Whatever.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

crazyfish posted:

I think Art of Pizza is BYOB, so you can grip a killer casserole-style slice and bottleshare the night away. Or we can just have some pizzas delivered to my apartment. Whatever.

I've never had Art of Pizza.
Sept's cellar raid :]?!?!?!

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Am I reading this right? Loving Papa Johns / Dominos / Pizza Hut / any incredibly lovely national chain pizza in a forum dedicated to good food is the popular opinion? I've never lived in Chicago, NYC or anywhere else where people are Real Serious about pizza but unless I'm hammered I'd rather eat nothing than Papa John's et al. It's gross, they are to pizza as McDonald's is to burgers.

edit: on further review, no, I am not reading it right. I'll let my unprompted pizza rant stand, though :colbert:

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Aug 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Docjowles posted:

unless I'm hammered I'd rather eat nothing than Papa John's et al. It's gross, they are to pizza as McDonald's is to burgers.

except you have to wait for that lovely pizza- at least with McDonald's there's the instant gratification aspect