Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Spanish Manlove posted:

jesus christ that problematic joke is so worn out it looks like zoe quinn's hair roots

looks like the joke itself was problematic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

DoctorStrangelove posted:

In Jurrasic Park: Trespasser you played as a woman who if you look in third person would see that her body was just an upper torso and a right arm. Your health meter in this game was a heart-shaped tatoo on her breasts.

I have no idea if this is sexist or not.

It's an interesting discussion really. While the game shows a capable female lead, and a heart tatoo in itself is a common motif in culture, and a clever way of displaying health, one could make the argument that the game is an example of how to make female protagonists. However the game itself is terrible and therefore

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
its like u glued a troll doll head on a bag of milk and wrote on it with a sharpie

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Spanish Manlove posted:

jesus christ that problematic joke is so worn out it looks like zoe quinn's hair roots

haha

seriously though that word is so overused that I cringe when I see it used no matter how legitimate the usage is

FrostedButts
Dec 30, 2011
Not sure if anyone posted this yet, but I think displays how both far sides in this argument are off the rails.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9_MVPq1SJY

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I bet Zoe uses any excuse she can to get out of her place and away from her horrible kitchen.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Also read this for a laugh. This is what BoddledBoddishivata actually believes: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3598965

quote:

Proposal 1: From middle school onwards into high school, students are given a year-long assignment: start your own business. Sixth grade would have the students breaking into teams--you can work alone and reap all the profits, but do all the work, or you can create a team as large as you can manage, so long as everyone has a job to do and everyone gets an equal share in the "company". Sixth grade it's only abstract, but you create a business plan, a product, and a means of distribution. In seventh grade, you revise your business plan and get introduced to basic economic theory, get a crash course on tax laws, and learn how to file taxes, and how taxing differs from business to individuals. In eight grade, you are given a crash course in website design, and are tasked to create a website for your business, a social media page for your business, and even utilize art class time to learn photoshop and create banner ads.

lollllllllllllllllllllll

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Codependent Poster posted:

I bet Zoe uses any excuse she can to get out of her place and away from her horrible kitchen.

she has a tiny kitchen

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I think little things would be cool like a good Zelda game where she is the protagonist. More black protagonists in games would be neat too. That said I think video games would suck balls if every game had to go through a social justice filter before it could be published.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

DrPlump posted:

The issue with female agency in video games is that people like Anita don't want female characters with depth. They want male characters that have a female skin and voice. When making a video game about ancient warriors it doesn't make sense to use women because that is not what happened.

People demand female characters with entirely male attributes but are unable to specify why being the NPC with the sword is better than being the NPC that is captured. The captured NPC is only a woman in the first place in an attempt to be inclusive they could easily be replaced with a man or chest of gold.

The reason for the damsel in distress trope is reality. This is actually what happens when a person is kidnapped in real life. A team of male police or soldiers is sent to rescue them. Can anyone name even a single real life situation in which a group of highly trained women stormed a compound to rescue a captured man.

This isn't about sexism it is about broken women who wish they where born men. They want to be the hero in video games since they can't in real life. Instead of pushing for selective service to include women they would rather push EA to reskin the protagonist in the next call of duty.

please source your loving terrible quotes

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

quote:

Proposal 2: Organic farms shall be another component of the curriculum. Rather than feed kids frozen airplane food or have them choose between junk and crummy vegetables, children from as early as elementary school through high school will have access to a greenhouse, a hydroponics facility, or even just a fenced off area of land, depending on where their school is located. They will be given access to a wide range of seeds and have a farmer/agriculture expert available to guide them in planting a seed, tending to that seed, helping it grow, and eventually enjoying the fruit of your labor. While this may initially be limited to easily grown plants like tomatoes or carrots, it would be my hope that students could grow any number of vegetables and fruits, and create orchards of fruit-bearing trees if possible, right in the common area of their school.

No wait this is the best part I changed my mind

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Spanish Manlove posted:

she has a tiny kitchen

only when she's in it

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
If you all would like an actual good indie game that features women and depression, I still recommend The Cat Lady by Remigiusz Michalski and his crew. Not made by a woman, no, but you play as a heavily depressed, suicidal 40 year old woman in her weird adventures. It treats depression with a sort of gentleness in amongst the gameplay, instead of some dopey 'YOU WAKE UP AND YOU DON'T WANNA EAT BREAKFAST BECAUSE YOU'RE JUST SO DEPRESSED. THIS IS WHAT IT'S LIKE TO BE DEPRESSED.'

But again, not made by a woman so it probably doesn't count.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Forget about teching kids karate that's like the least dumb thing in that post.

WilltheMagicAsian
Dec 11, 2011

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

sorry

anyway this is pretty funny and I wanna post it

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
Will videogames become better because of this, or is this a lose/lose situation with no winner except those of us who laughed from teh sidelines?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Spanish Manlove posted:

she has a tiny kitchen

Not after 5 guys have bee..ah you mean actual.

FrostedButts
Dec 30, 2011

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

sorry

anyway this is pretty funny and I wanna post it

I give it 5 cucks up.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

FrostedButts posted:

Not sure if anyone posted this yet, but I think displays how both far sides in this argument are off the rails.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9_MVPq1SJY

Okay, I laughed, when he changed his shirt.

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Strategic Tea posted:

This isn't about joining the army, it's about broken nerds who wish they were soldiers. They want to be the hero in video games since they can't in real life. Instead of enlisting, they would rather go to EA and buy a microtransaction fedora for their character in the next call of duty

:getout:

The fat disgusting men of gaming have no illusion about themselves being the actual characters. They are fine with the male hero being 6'5" and ripped as hell because they understand it is a story depicting an approximation of the actual hero.

Their version of arguing for the characters to be women would be them arguing to make the characters short, fat, and fueled by mountain dew.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

Musket posted:

Will videogames become better because of this, or is this a lose/lose situation with no winner except those of us who laughed from teh sidelines?

the video games are being with held by the fleeing twitter feminists until male behavior improves

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

gently caress the ROW posted:

the video games are being with held by the fleeing twitter feminists until male behavior improves

So that means male characters need to be raped and put in little armor/clothing and submit to a woman protagonist? Doesnt sound like that would sell very well to most gamers.

do women even get how money works?

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Instead of a traditional fighting game I'm going to make one with only women but instead of fighting directly it's all intrigue trying to ruin your social group's opinion of your opponent- and I started this as a joke but it sounds great actually.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Free the games, Anita

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
As long as the anime is safe the games will always be safe from her clutches.

If we ever lose anime we lose the war.

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW

Germstore posted:

Instead of a traditional fighting game I'm going to make one with only women but instead of fighting directly it's all intrigue trying to ruin your social group's opinion of your opponent- and I started this as a joke but it sounds great actually.

Already funded and being made, bitch.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/30564009/ever-jane-the-virtual-world-of-jane-austen

:twisted:

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

DrPlump posted:

The fat disgusting men of gaming have no illusion about themselves being the actual characters. They are fine with the male hero being 6'5" and ripped as hell because they understand it is a story depicting an approximation of the actual hero.

Their version of arguing for the characters to be women would be them arguing to make the characters short, fat, and fueled by mountain dew.

This is a harmful depiction of players as being unfit and unattractive. And still missing the point of video games as stories.

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

quote:

Proposal 2: Organic farms shall be another component of the curriculum. Rather than feed kids frozen airplane food or have them choose between junk and crummy vegetables, children from as early as elementary school through high school will have access to a greenhouse, a hydroponics facility, or even just a fenced off area of land, depending on where their school is located. They will be given access to a wide range of seeds and have a farmer/agriculture expert available to guide them in planting a seed, tending to that seed, helping it grow, and eventually enjoying the fruit of your labor. While this may initially be limited to easily grown plants like tomatoes or carrots, it would be my hope that students could grow any number of vegetables and fruits, and create orchards of fruit-bearing trees if possible, right in the common area of their school.

Who keeps posting scrapped Bioshock DLC

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Germstore posted:

Isn't this what Skullgirls is? I know it's some form of fighting game with only women or something.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Musket posted:

So that means male characters need to be raped and put in little armor/clothing and submit to a woman protagonist? Doesnt sound like that would sell very well to most gamers.

Oversexualized armor for dudes would be pretty nice in MMOs. Men hate being objectified and without power though

FrostedButts
Dec 30, 2011

Musket posted:

Video games are headed for a big old brick wall of a crash. The excess amount of video games being developed everyday, the constant corruption of the developers/studios, money being thrown around like toilet paper for anyone who wants to make a game, unsound budgets for development and marketing, etc. This whole experience is just one more piece to add to the 50-mile high tower of gamer culture that will soon topple over.

My advice is to grab a beer, watch from the sidelines and get ready to yell Jenga as the empire collapses and the lucky rats responsible for it scurry away into the night to write books about the experience and speak at colleges (or whatever keeps up with their living expenses).

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
let's talk about gender identity in the context of mr. mime

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

this can't be real

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I like that wrestling uniform Karl Pilkington had to wear when he went to Mongolia.

Still, I'm pretty sure I played a Dragon Warrior game where my female character replaced something like Dragon Amor for a Bikini and her defense went up.

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

Musket posted:

don't fetish-shame me

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

FrostedButts posted:

My advice is to grab a beer, watch from the sidelines and get ready to yell Jenga as the empire collapses and the lucky rats responsible for it scurrying away into the night to write books about the experience and speak at colleges (or whatever keeps up with their living expenses).

I would like to suggest everyone heed this advice, for everything related to this bad thread

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Lobster Harmonica posted:

Who keeps posting scrapped Bioshock DLC

You also forget that the school could then sell the surplus vegetables to the community for really cheap, thus providing nutritious organic produce for poor people free of control from corporate interests. SocioCapitalismShock.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Musket posted:

well remember Buck from Far Cry 3?

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
mr. mime uses male pronouns for identification when cisgendered female and looks intentionally goofy, way to make the transgendered into a literal clown man nintendo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

FrostedButts posted:

Video games are headed for a big old brick wall of a crash. The excess amount of video games being developed everyday, the constant corruption of the developers/studios, money being thrown around like toilet paper for anyone who wants to make a game, unsound budgets for development and marketing, etc. This whole experience is just one more piece to add to the 50-mile high tower of gamer culture that will soon topple over.

My advice is to grab a beer, watch from the sidelines and get ready to yell Jenga as the empire collapses and the lucky rats responsible for it scurrying away into the night to write books about the experience and speak at colleges (or whatever keeps up with their living expenses).

there's no chance the games industry "crashes" in any appreciable manner compared to previous crashes. the audience is growing and people are becoming more and more engaged with it. what's happening is the AAA blockbuster games are getting way too expensive compared to their return (and sometimes even despite the return) you get on them so you're seeing fewer of those and the failures tend to completely sink studios

but casual gaming and poo poo like league of legends is going to survive a "crash" because they have an absolute iron grip on their players and the rest of the industry declining isn't going to affect one bit those players wanting to play

• Locked thread