Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Stella Deus is kinda funny because a lot of the team worked on Hoshigami (hell, even the names are sort of the same) and it's almost an overreaction to all the complaints about Hoshigami's ridiculous difficulty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I must say, things really have started moving. The Fiendlord Keep was an excellent little dungeon. I liked the music but I also liked that the music didn't start playing right away. I wandered around both of the little hallways first with it being absolutely silent and it was pretty eerie.

Ozzie and his traps was annoying but at least it gave you the sense of drawing ever closer and closer to the main man himself. Magus looks pretty cool and his actual introduction to us, with the screen being pitch black except for the light sslowly flickering on, was pretty atmospheric. I am always impressed with how cinematic even a SNES game can be. Magus' intro and boss fight were all really well done considering technical limitations.

Oh and i guess I shouldn't skip over Frog's, Glenn's, backstory. My general impression is he's by far everyone's favorite character and I can see why. I really liked that flashback and his theme song is suitably awesome and heroic so when he finally takes up the Masamune it was great.

But now we're back in BC with Ayla and I'm not sure what will come next. I would guess genocide of the Reptiles since they are the powerful, intelligent and presumably dominant species on the Earth yet there is no trace of them in the future.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

dis astranagant posted:

Stella Deus is kinda funny because a lot of the team worked on Hoshigami (hell, even the names are sort of the same) and it's almost an overreaction to all the complaints about Hoshigami's ridiculous difficulty.

Didn't Hoshigami get re-released for NDS or something with reduced difficulty? How did that pan out? I don't recall anything about the game being that noteworthy aside from the fact grunt enemies could one or two-shot your most powerful characters with ease.

EDIT: Apparently my memory is ok and they did! Doesn't sound like they improved much though.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

I must say, things really have started moving. The Fiendlord Keep was an excellent little dungeon. I liked the music but I also liked that the music didn't start playing right away. I wandered around both of the little hallways first with it being absolutely silent and it was pretty eerie.

Ozzie and his traps was annoying but at least it gave you the sense of drawing ever closer and closer to the main man himself. Magus looks pretty cool and his actual introduction to us, with the screen being pitch black except for the light sslowly flickering on, was pretty atmospheric. I am always impressed with how cinematic even a SNES game can be. Magus' intro and boss fight were all really well done considering technical limitations.

Oh and i guess I shouldn't skip over Frog's, Glenn's, backstory. My general impression is he's by far everyone's favorite character and I can see why. I really liked that flashback and his theme song is suitably awesome and heroic so when he finally takes up the Masamune it was great.

But now we're back in BC with Ayla and I'm not sure what will come next. I would guess genocide of the Reptiles since they are the powerful, intelligent and presumably dominant species on the Earth yet there is no trace of them in the future.

Yeah, that dungeon is just one of the best things I've ever seen in a SNES game. "Cinematic" is a good word to describe it, and that's not a word that springs to mind for a lot of SNES RPG's.

Frog is a very memorable character, and he's quite valuable in combat. You've gone back to Spekkio and picked up his magic by now, right?

I won't say anything about the revisit to the prehistoric era or anything that comes after it, but definitely let us know how it goes for you. I'm interested to see what you think of it.

dirty nub
Jan 19, 2009

The original Lunar: The Silver Star for Sega CD is one of my favorite games of all time. The remakes drastically simplified the combat system and changed up the story a bit. I would really recommend playing the Silver Star and Eternal Blue on Sega CD.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

dirty nub posted:

The original Lunar: The Silver Star for Sega CD is one of my favorite games of all time. The remakes drastically simplified the combat system and changed up the story a bit. I would really recommend playing the Silver Star and Eternal Blue on Sega CD.

The intro is incredible, but because it was a Sega CD game I feel like most people missed it.

Even if you never play the original Lunar you should at least watch the intro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Je7Ie8QWF1s&t=26s

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ah, the time frame when Working Designs was translating songs.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

I like how Bamco did that for like two Tales games.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I sort of miss it. I have a soft spot in my heart for goofy-rear end low-budget English covers of JPop'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjDlOXc8Jn4

Vanguard Bandits had a silly one too.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

There's an entire community of fandubbers on youtube for you to peruse. Some of them are even decent!

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I guess Katethegreat/Erutan doesn't count since she makes up her own lyrics as opposed to singing a Japanese song in English. She's awesome though.

rujasu posted:

Frog is a very memorable character, and he's quite valuable in combat. You've gone back to Spekkio and picked up his magic by now, right?

Yeah I did that first thing when he rejoined my party.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

Endorph posted:

Wait, they actually bothered with some of the Tales games? I don't remember any English intros, only cheesy anime/jpop stuff with muffled Japanese vocals and "ehh good enough" mastering.

I thought for sure Vandal Hearts had a goofy music intro, but I guess it's just a goofy voice acted exposition dump intro. Same for Granstream Saga, it's just a goofy super serious/not at all serious anime intro.

Suikogaiden Volume 1 is loving ace though. I can always count on that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQ1bpydJ7Nk

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

BloodWulfe posted:

The intro is incredible, but because it was a Sega CD game I feel like most people missed it.

Even if you never play the original Lunar you should at least watch the intro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Je7Ie8QWF1s&t=26s

wow that's way less........ anime...... than the version I am used to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71ripBa8Ga8

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Endorph posted:

Vesperia's the only one that comes to mind?

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

BloodWulfe posted:

Suikogaiden Volume 1 is loving ace though. I can always count on that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQ1bpydJ7Nk

Holy poo poo this is shrill as gently caress.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

ImpAtom posted:

Wasn't that time frame "the entire time they were in business?" They even did it for Growlanser Generations.

v Man you don't even know, getting into their employ was like my post-college dream job. I even accidentally ended up going to a school a couple hours south of Redding, CA (because they offered state resident tuition rates to me :v:). And then they had to go out of business after my first semester :smith:

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Aug 28, 2014

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
I really miss Working Designs. Sure they took liberties with scripts but I can't think of anything they did that wasn't entertaining in a goofy saturday morning cartoon way.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Million Ghosts posted:

I really miss Working Designs. Sure they took liberties with scripts but I can't think of anything they did that wasn't entertaining in a goofy saturday morning cartoon way.

Eh, most modern translators are better than WD in pretty much every department. WD's biggest advantage was mostly having a fairly fun selection of games to work off of instead of bullshit like Neptunia but XSEED or whatever fills the same niche they did but better.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

BloodWulfe posted:

Wait, they actually bothered with some of the Tales games? I don't remember any English intros, only cheesy anime/jpop stuff with muffled Japanese vocals and "ehh good enough" mastering.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SymLluPY-ig

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiQh0DrCSF0

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

They even throw in some out of date 30 seconds later pop culture references for that authentic WD feel.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

ImpAtom posted:

Eh, most modern translators are better than WD in pretty much every department. WD's biggest advantage was mostly having a fairly fun selection of games to work off of instead of bullshit like Neptunia but XSEED or whatever fills the same niche they did but better.

Oh I know they were pretty awful, but they had personality. I'd actually like to see their take on something like Neptunia or Akiba's Trip.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Million Ghosts posted:

Oh I know they were pretty awful, but they had personality. I'd actually like to see their take on something like Neptunia or Akiba's Trip.
Well, Neptunia and Akiba's Trip have plenty of random references and lame jokes too. You can accuse them of a lot of things, but lacking personality isn't one of them. I mean, you might hate that personality, and I wouldn't blame you, but they have them.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

I'm still not convinced that either of those are in English.

e: does Victor Ireland even do anything re: video games nowadays? I remember him founding a new company shortly after Working Designs dissolved and then ???

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Million Ghosts posted:

Akiba's Trip's translation is actually really really good. Not just like 'accurately translated' good but actually pretty funny. Shame about the rest of it.

BloodWulfe posted:

e: does Victor Ireland even do anything re: video games nowadays? I remember him founding a new company shortly after Working Designs dissolved and then ???

His company is putting out Class of Heroes games and... that's about it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

BloodWulfe posted:

They're pretty heavily accented English but still pretty clearly English, dude. No need to be weird.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Pretty much everything XSeed has done is really good and it's shame that that ends up mostly being stuff like Akiba's Trip. When they get something like Rune Factory 4 it's great.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
If Neptunia had weird engrish theme songs it would be perfect. Actually I'm surprised it doesn't, it's the exact kind of lame they go for.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

BloodWulfe posted:

Yeah, his new company is Gaijinworks and they localize games here and there, much less frequently than WD ever did and it looks like most of it is just negotiating the use of their old scripts for other companies to publish on PSN. Miami Law was kind of disappointing and lacked that goofy, classic Working Designs flavor I was craving, and I wouldn't know anything about Class of Heroes 2.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Honestly Working Designs was a product of its time. If a translation like that came out these days, it'd be kinda poo poo. Modern translations are capable of having jokes that actually fit in context instead of referencing real world stuff and adding farts in.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Hey lay off of farts and dad jokes or we'll fight.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Million Ghosts posted:

Hey lay off of farts and dad jokes or we'll fight.
Lame puns own but there's at least three lines in Lunar that reference actual real-life stuff like The Oscars and it's kind of poo poo.

EDIT: v I was saying that the Working Design guys, and Ireland, are kind of bad translators.

To be fair I think the game itself was the problem too. Ireland said a lot about 'It's a cop drama, we gotta be a cop drama,' and so he just watched a bunch of cop shows and tried to copy that.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
You would think, right? But Miami Law was so pathetically "white guys forcing ghetto gangsta dialogue" that poo poo-talking reality TV stars would've been a welcome alternative.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Class of Heroes 2 is just terminally dull. I don't remember any of the localization in a haze of highschool cliche and boring boring gameplay.

I do remember them completely loving up a whole ton of crafting recipes and items, though, and deciding the best way to fix it was to post lists on their site.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Stelas posted:

Class of Heroes 2 is just terminally dull. I don't remember any of the localization in a haze of highschool cliche and boring boring gameplay.

I do remember them completely loving up a whole ton of crafting recipes and items, though, and deciding the best way to fix it was to post lists on their site.

Yeah, that is about right.

Class of Heroes 2 is just boring. It's a dungeon crawler but one with almost no personality or interesting features whatsoever. In a universe where dungeon crawlers were rare it might have a place but there's no reason to get it over Etrian Odyssey or even something like Demon's Gaze.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Endorph posted:

They're pretty heavily accented English but still pretty clearly English, dude. No need to be weird.

The vocalists in both are the same as the Japanese versions. They were bilingual. Both the Japanese and English versions of the songs were in the Japanese copies, IIRC, so it wasn't like Namco was spending extra money for the West.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

Endorph posted:

It's a joke mate.

The White Dragon posted:

Yeah, his new company is Gaijinworks and they localize games here and there, much less frequently than WD ever did and it looks like most of it is just negotiating the use of their old scripts for other companies to publish on PSN. Miami Law was kind of disappointing and lacked that goofy, classic Working Designs flavor I was craving, and I wouldn't know anything about Class of Heroes 2.

That's actually kind of a bummer to hear. It's like instead of Working Designs dissolving in an "end of an era" sort of way it's just gone lame and keeps trying to limp along.

I suppose it's good that someone out there is an advocate for getting digital releases of older WD stuff. The wiki article links a quote of Ireland saying they're working on PSN releases of Lunar, but the quote was from Jan 2013 so who knows.

Plus the Oscars, Soylent Green, commercial slogans, and whatever other topical late 90s jokes made it in. I feel like there was at least one Clinton joke in there. It really would be weird to see in a new game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

There was a Clinton joke in the original Sega CD release IIRC and that is one they actually changed for the PSX release.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The White Dragon posted:

Class of Heroes 2 is a pretty meh game but it has that WD flair to the localization. Not so many random pop culture refs and more refs to WD games. I distinctly recall ATAC showing up in one of the critical hit messages, for instance.

Seems like they're pretty much Class of Heroes in English: the Company until those quit selling. 2 made them enough money that they're doing a physical run of the next one.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
What really did WD in though was Ireland's hilarious business sense, packing a million goodies into just about every copy of games that wouldn't sell more than 20k in a perfect world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Well, that and spending forever and a day on big series collections selling for barely a premium over new game price.