Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BobMcFartsens
Dec 31, 2005

Sitting on a park bench

Today the Vandal clicked with me. Also motion detect dongle is awesome. It's so fun to drop a dongle, run behind enemies to pick them off, then run away before they can find you. Got one of my longest streaks i've ever had earlier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nookovian-Red
Sep 13, 2002
I WILL NOT CLOSE THREAD IN Serious Hardware / Software Crap
Tryzzb schooled me the other night on my TR alt with his Dongle. Sneaky fucker put a AP mine next to it so when I went looking for it I walked right into his trap.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I can't decide if I like or hate the NS-11C. It's really accurate but gently caress it relies on headshots a lot to be really good.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
What's the difference between the flash hider and the suppressor? I find the suppressor actually useful. It doesn't affect accuracy, reduces COF bloom (possible vertical and horizontal accuracy boosts) and completely hides you on the map (this is irrefutable, every time I use a silenced gun no one can figure out where I am).

The downside to the suppressor is it reduces damage and velocity. Both of those don't matter much because with silenced weapons you're probably getting up close and personal. I load all of my silenced guns with soft point.

I guess I'm asking, is the flash hider basically the suppressor but with COF penalties? And much louder and easier to pinpoint. Making me assume the flash hider is the long range equivalent of the silencer. Am I right?

\/ I don't understand this stance stubbornly being upheld really only in this thread. Everywhere else suppressors are recommended. Instead of simply saying they're bad, can you explain why being invisible for some tiny penalties is a bad thing?

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Aug 28, 2014

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

They're both bad and you shouldn't use them. (100% never use the flash suppressor, 99% the suppressor)

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

The Flash suppressor just removes your muzzle flash (which theoretically makes you harder to spot), but increases bloom as a result. It's... bad.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Flash suppressors aren't terrible on like battle rifles and maybe some semi autos? But otherwise not entirely worth it. I also don't recall suppressors affecting your hip fire cone at all. If you're going to stick your gun in someone's chest, why not just use an SMG or shotgun? Hipfire used to be a lot better near release until SMGs came along and they nerfed it on LMGs and ARs.

I think the only NC guns I've put a laser on lately are the Gauss SAW and Bandit. The grip doesn't do much for me on either of those.

Whoever suggested the laser/flash suppressor battle rifle build, you rock. It rocks. Space garand owns.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

There is literally no reason to use a flash suppressor because the game has giant bright colored tracers that basically form an arrow to where you're shooting from anyways :confused:

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

NeoSeeker posted:

\/ I don't understand this stance stubbornly being upheld really only in this thread. Everywhere else suppressors are recommended. Instead of simply saying they're bad, can you explain why being invisible for some tiny penalties is a bad thing?
The penalty isn't "tiny," is the thing. It's a 40% decrease in muzzle velocity and a corresponding increase in bullet drop, which actually does matter when velocity is incredibly low. The decrease in damage ranges is also exceptionally punitive; a weapon will drop off to its minimum damage much, much faster with one equipped.

All this for the questionable benefit of not appearing on the minimap. Oh, you're not invisible either; your weapon's audio range is no different, and if you're using a gun with a noisy suppressed sound like the Warden people will be able to hear it just fine even though it doesn't ping you. Being on the minimap is often not even a problem in the first place, as unless you're a lone foe in a gaggle of enemies hiding in some spot or other then your presence on the minimap will be drowned out by the existence of many other things on the minimap. Also, like 95% of people will not look at the minimap anyway.

Fart Car '97 posted:

There is literally no reason to use a flash suppressor because the game has giant bright colored tracers that basically form an arrow to where you're shooting from anyways :confused:
Flash Suppressors are more useful to hide the muzzle flash from you on certain guns, as they can be somewhat distracting.

(You should still never use a Flash Suppressor on anything, ever)

Nakar fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Aug 28, 2014

wei
Jul 27, 2006
^^^:argh:

The suppressor makes bullet damage drop off start a lot sooner and falls to minimum damage quicker as well. On most automatics it also drops your bullet velocity by about 35-40%. It also just plays a different sound instead of actually making you harder to hear. These aren't small penalties. Remember that infils can just hit F to remove their radar dot.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
It increases bloom by 20%. A regular 5 shot burst fire pattern becomes a 4 shot one, and some people can't cope with that. It is fine to use on regular guns that you fire in bursts. It's a bad pick for anything that functions like a battle rifle because the bloom for a single shot is already hefty enough. For things you plan on firing like rambo, it's a mixed bag. It's useful for close range LMGs, for instance, if you want to see clearly without an IR scope.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
I'm talking short to medium range. I totally can feel the penalties even at these distances. The reason why I say they're negligible is because at the ranges I use this combo I hardly have to compensate. Not to mention the simple fact that when I'm using a silenced gun it takes WAY longer for people to notice me as opposed to using a non silenced weapon.

I'm perfectly fine with agreeing that in certain applications the suppressor makes weapons totally useless. But at distances where the penalties hardly matter I don't even take them into account. It may lob soft points at like 200m/s but it doesn't even matter because I'm a decent enough shot I can use these weapons at long ranges if need be. Although it's less effective when I'm not at least a little bit "zoned". Which is only after playing for 4 hours into hours after midnight, running on super hosed up energy drinks.

\/ Don't diss the MKV, or a silenced NS-7\armistice.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Aug 28, 2014

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Yeah like Nakar said, some guns have insane muzzle flashes, the only reason I use a suppressor on the TRAP is because it otherwise generates more smoke than your average [AT] platoon and you can't see poo poo. I remember them being reasonable on a few VS LMGs that had huge muzzle flash, since LMG hipfire isn't that great anyway.

The funniest poo poo to me will always be watching people trying to shoot each other with suppressed SPA PDWs. The bullets move so slowly it's like they're casting spells or something and the tracers look strange.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Only just today noticed there was a checkbox option for unlocking the minimap's orientation. Was I being an idiot all this time and literally the only person using a fixed minimap? There seem to be obvious advantages in knowing where to turn to face incoming red dots or knowing where you're heading at all times, but I'm pretty used to it fixed at this point, and I guess a fixed map layout helps you pinpoint where on a map the enemy dots correspond to, and a constantly moving map might be a bit distracting.

E: the only thing I've considered sticking a flash suppressor on was my Guass rifle S with smoke launcher as a gimmick build.

Blasmeister fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Aug 28, 2014

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
If damage isn't a huge concern, Suppressors can be okay on VS guns due to the lack of bullet drop. Also Suppressors are decent on Battle Rifles with a Laser setup that you're using for close-mid work because the damage range on a Battle Rifle basically isn't negatively affected by one (it will slightly alter the range at which you go from 4 STK to 5, but that range is basically every engagement range except point blank so it just means you assume all kills take 5 shots). Plus it will hide your muzzle flash and the AMR/Warden sound kind of amazing suppressed. Dropping the velocity from 570-600 m/s to the velocity of your average carbine sucks though, and the bullet drop becomes an issue on the TR/NC versions. For the Eidolon it's not bad though. Just never do this on a mid-long BR build (i.e. any BR build where you're using a Grip/Compensator combo).

My favored BR build is IRNV or 2x/Nothing/Laser/Nothing, similar to Westy's but without the Flash Suppressor. Treat it like a bigass pistol with a real scope and back it up with the Repeater/Desperado/lolvspistolsUnderboss.

Blasmeister posted:

Only just today noticed there was a checkbox option for unlocking the minimap's orientation. Was I being an idiot all this time and literally the only person using a fixed minimap? There seem to be obvious advantages in knowing where to turn to face incoming red dots or knowing where you're heading at all times, but I'm pretty used to it fixed at this point, and I guess a fixed map layout helps you pinpoint where on a map the enemy dots correspond to, and a constantly moving map might be a bit distracting.
I can't stand unlocked minimaps because it requires me to look at the orientation compass to give directions to people. I prefer to know where north is at a glance. It's a preference thing for sure, go with what works for you.

Sard
May 11, 2012

It should probably cease being an assumed thing that most players disregard the radar, too. People keep saying pubbies never look at it, and it's true that there's a crowd who never take their eyes off their gunsight and some take a little while to notice, but way more often than not I see regular players take note of it fairly often. Spot someone and watch pubbes descend on them. Lay a radar dong and it won't take long for an above-average player to go after it, even if they're dumb enough to hold still and stare at it while you decloak and kill them. Fire your gun a few times as bait, and enemies I'm watching on radar will stop, turn, and approach where you fired from.

Maybe it's just a difference in the pubby cultures of Connery and Emerald.

e:

Nakar posted:

Underboss.

How can you stand the Underboss? Back before I tried using it and the Commissioner extensively, I figured it'd be better, but after finishing both it felt like a piece of poo poo. You have to ADS to have any hope of hitting things when rapidly firing it. As bad as the sight is when the gun is inert, trying to use it while the whole thing buckles and thrashes around while being fired is impossible. Maybe improved when/if we get pistol scopes, but... ugh. At least with the Commissioner you have the damage per shot to give the gun just enough time to settle between clicks.
e2: It's possible I just never adjusted from the MV difference for hipfiring since I used the Commissioner first, but still ugh.

The Cerberus has really grown on me too, it's what the Underboss should be.

Sard fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Aug 28, 2014

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Fart Car '97 posted:

I can't decide if I like or hate the NS-11C. It's really accurate but gently caress it relies on headshots a lot to be really good.

Run it with laser/comp/HVA and its goddamn amazing. Its accurate enough that it doesn't need the foregrip and the laser allows you to hip fire it at close range chewing through dudes. You want the comp because that thing is entirely sustained fire when you ADS so you want that increase to accuracy and its a small hit to your hip fire.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Sard posted:

How can you stand the Underboss? Back before I tried using it and the Commissioner extensively, I figured it'd be better, but after finishing both it felt like a piece of poo poo. You have to ADS to have any hope of hitting things when rapidly firing it. As bad as the sight is when the gun is inert, trying to use it while the whole thing buckles and thrashes around while being fired is impossible. Maybe improved when/if we get pistol scopes, but... ugh. At least with the Commissioner you have the damage per shot to give the gun just enough time to settle between clicks.

The Cerberus has really grown on me too, it's what the Underboss should be.
You just need something suitably spammy. Beamer works if you're clickscripting fast, Cerberus would also be acceptable. Underboss is a better panic-hipfire-spam option than the Commissioner unless you're a cool hand with the latter (which some people are).

I only really whip out the pistol when the BR runs dry though. I actually like hipfiring BRs.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

Just spam the fire button and melee button as you get as close as you can and dance around them.

I love the commissioner and was planning on getting the underboss with my monthly station cash.. But the biggest sell on both weapons is broken...

Come on, we all know both guns are near-useless novelty guns that you only use to feel like a badass. And when that nice big chunky reload animation has no sound.. the gun is dead to me. 6 shots to a cylinder isn't good for a frantic last second effort to save yourself. It's better to have a repeater or something that shoots fast and has a load of bullets in its magazine.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Aug 28, 2014

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010

Blasmeister posted:

E: the only thing I've considered sticking a flash suppressor on was my Guass rifle S with smoke launcher as a gimmick build.

Always, ALWAYS use a locked minimap. Instantly knowing cardinal directions is important.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

AggressivelyStupid posted:

They're both bad and you shouldn't use them. (100% never use the flash suppressor, 99% the suppressor)

Flash Suppressor (as noted) is good on smoke launchers, since that's one of the few things that could give you away to someone that doesn't have IRNV. That's about it, though. I don't even use it on a battle rifle anymore since it just doesn't do poo poo for benefits.

Suppressor itself is useful for 1) tree-sitting LAs and 2) Stalker infils. Oh, and the TRAP.

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

Nookovian-Red posted:

Tryzzb schooled me the other night on my TR alt with his Dongle. Sneaky fucker put a AP mine next to it so when I went looking for it I walked right into his trap.

:ssh: This works with bacons too.

He's in AOD too :getin:

Fart Car '97 posted:

I have really mixed feelings about the 11C and 11A. I want to like them because they're so accurate but jesus is the DPS bad. 11C with grip/2x/suppressor and HVA isn't awful on a light assault but ugh, there are so many better options.

o muerte fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Aug 28, 2014

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Yesterday I got a kill with the NS flare gun with a hip fire in the air. Wish I had some sort of recording device it was honestly surprising that you can kill someone with that thing!

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I love the NS-11C. It's what I use when I feel like having the T5 AMC on VS, with only 5 less bullets instead of 10! The only bad thing about that gun is the shot velocity. There's little recoil, 0.75 ADS, and a wealth of attachments, it can even hipfire decently.

Erostratus
Jun 18, 2011

by R. Guyovich
What do the hip, young kids use to record gameplay these days? Never actually wanted to record stuff before this game, but it's got so many awesome little moments.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Horizontal Tree posted:

Always, ALWAYS use a locked minimap. Instantly knowing cardinal directions is important.

I prefer unlocked. It makes turning to face spotted enemies far far easier.

Gregen
Jun 12, 2010

Nameless Dread posted:

What do the hip, young kids use to record gameplay these days? Never actually wanted to record stuff before this game, but it's got so many awesome little moments.

FRAPS and Nvidia ShadowPlay are probably the two most commonly used. PS2 has a built in recording/uploading tool, it works, but I don't think anyone cares for recording quality it poops out.

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

Gregen posted:

FRAPS and Nvidia ShadowPlay are probably the two most commonly used. PS2 has a built in recording/uploading tool, it works, but I don't think anyone cares for recording quality it poops out.

If you're using an ATI card you can run dxtory with OpenEncodeVFW to do hardware encoding. It doesn't have a rolling always-on buffer like shadowplay so you have to start/stop recording manually. And dxtory isn't free, so there's that.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

I usually just stream to twitch or to hitbox. Long recording times, can upload to youtube or download (3p sites) - but people have been watching me more and more and I don't have a second monitor to read the chat with. :smith:

Also Malorn tweeted that you'll be able to aurax EMP, conc, and flash grenades now by getting assist. SOE should make it so vehicle secondary kills give the pilot credit towards their auraxium medal. Firstly it encourages people to find gunners and not just solo their vehicles, secondly it rewards the driver, who has to make decisions to set up kills for their gunners. If you drive an AP/Vulcan/stealth/racer Prowler and go around ganking, if the Vulcan gets the kill it should count towards the driver's auraxium progress.

Edit: apparently hosed up my line about recording, fixed that. :v:

Westy543 fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Aug 29, 2014

Sard
May 11, 2012

Westy543 posted:

I usually just stream to twitch to hitbox

Also Malorn tweeted that you'll be able to aurax EMP, conc, and flash grenades now by getting assist. SOE should make it so vehicle secondary kills give the pilot credit towards their auraxium medal. Firstly it encourages people to find gunners and not just solo their vehicles, secondly it rewards the driver, who has to make decisions to set up kills for their gunners. If you drive an AP/Vulcan/stealth/racer Prowler and go around ganking, if the Vulcan gets the kill it should count towards the driver's auraxium progress.

This, but for all weapons, though probably only for critical assists for non-gunner things I guess.

Chance
Apr 28, 2002

Nameless Dread posted:

I've been using MSI afterburner (don't need an msi card), I have it set to prebuffer a little less than a gig of previous video into ram and then just hit record whenever I want the last bit of gameplay. Doesn't really impact my performance much.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Do EMPs even give assists currently? I've never been able to do it

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Blasmeister posted:

Do EMPs even give assists currently? I've never been able to do it

Nope! It's brand new, I don't even know if it went in with the August patch. You can get them from anything like throwing EMPs to chain explosives, or just EMPing some mans and shooting them.

Sard posted:

This, but for all weapons, though probably only for critical assists for non-gunner things I guess.

I don't necessarily think they should award credit for having your kill stolen, just when it's something you did, like flew a battle gal. Grenade assists are the only way you COULD auraxium those utility grenades outside of edge case kills from the 10? damage. Right now it's just clunky how you have to gun vehicles to auraxium the weapons needed for some directives. I dunno about everyone else but I feel really guilty asking people to drive for me or to pull a vehicle so I can farm (in fact I know some people have no problem with that). I usually just solo Harasser or trade off. Rare to find someone I can trade off every other with, though. Hell, I pull the things and trade seats at this point. Anyone who does a lot of Liberators or Harassers will tell you that it's far easier to find gunners than other drivers. I wonder if the Valkyrie is gonna be the opposite.

Westy543 fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Aug 29, 2014

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
If we can have EMP/conc assists, can we have credit for loving bails on our noseguns already? :negative:

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Horizontal Tree posted:

If we can have EMP/conc assists, can we have credit for loving bails on our noseguns already? :negative:

Same but for tanks. Its awesome having a huge SPH going but only like 5 kills because everyone bails.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I wish players could get ribbons/medal for receiving ragetells.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

There should be a 4H Champion ribbon to award people for getting ribbons

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

There needs to be a way for me to display all the ribbons the shield dong gives me.

Like a decal on my shoulder that has a healing ribbon with the number of them I have in the corner.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

It never shoulda been kills its shoulda been damage dealt, you do 50% damage on 2 people that other people kill it records that as 1 kill for your weapon. Change it to a simple 4 point system, 1 kill is 4 points and break it down to 25/50/75/100% so you throw a frag nade and do 75% damage to 4-5 people then a follow up frag from another person kills those guys and you get kills towards your medals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

At the very least, can assist kills where I do most of the work count towards my Aurax?

• Locked thread