Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Alexzandvar posted:

Anita is only lionized because of all the people who hate her, her actual videos are extremely boring and poorly done, as in first year college student quality. She also purposefully generates controversy by refusing to use any nuance what so ever, so her videos end up just coming off as extremely negative and nonconstructive.

So in summary she is p. cool glad we agree

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield
I think we would all benefit if:

*everyone stopped harassing women online
    *everyone harassed phil fish instead

David Copperfield fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Aug 28, 2014

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
Anita is fine
Zoe is terrible
Phil Fish is terrible
Games Journalists are pretty universally terrible
Gamers are terrible

oh and Adam Baldwin is in there somewhere

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

Anita is fine
Zoe is terrible
Phil Fish is terrible
Games Journalists are pretty universally terrible
Gamers are terrible

This is pretty much it yeah close thread goodnight everybody

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

she isn't as smart or as groundbreaking as she thinks she is but her "opponents" are so totally vile I feel bad for saying anything critical about her

pretty much, she's pretty uninteresting. Obviously the hate she gets is undeserved, but the content she creates is very poorly done despite having a 6 figure budget.

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

Alexzandvar posted:

Anita is only lionized because of all the people who hate her, her actual videos are extremely boring and poorly done, as in first year college student quality. She also purposefully generates controversy by refusing to use any nuance what so ever, so her videos end up just coming off as extremely negative and nonconstructive.

Let's have a discussion. What are the points you feel she misses the most?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I don't get the whole "she is saying basic 1st year freshman feminism stuff" because if the arguments were so basic and obvious then the entire internet wouldn't explode whenever she says it.

It seems disingenuous to say that something is obvious if the act of saying it causes a multi year controversy.

Also, fart

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Alexzandvar posted:

pretty much, she's pretty uninteresting. Obviously the hate she gets is undeserved, but the content she creates is very poorly done despite having a 6 figure budget.

I'd like her more if she actually blew all the extra kickstarter money on shoes or liquor or books or whatever it is feminist spokeswomen spend money on.

cis white male
Jul 5, 2014

i'm a fag i'm a lesbian
I love video games, especially the original Halo

did Zoe Quinn make halo? No

She is not a video game developer, none of those people were 'journalists', none of this matters

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Azraelle posted:

She takes TV Tropes seriously as a resource, instead of recognizing it as a place for broken sexual deviants to do cargo cult media analysis.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^
The important thing guys is the whole internet is changed now thanks to plucky change artists, and now all anyone talks about is which flower is the prettiest type of flower and how stupid the world was back when we thought of "stuff" oh what were we thinking.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Azraelle posted:

Everything about video games that I like. Her points about video games that I dislike are pretty valid, though.

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros

David Copperfield posted:

I think we would all benefit if:

*everyone stopped harassing women online
    *everyone harassed phil fish instead

IMO making fun of oversensitive losers is fine but doxxing or trying to stir IRL poo poo is going way too far.

Also game journos aren't the only people pissy about the Patreon policy, lol

Roy
Sep 24, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I don't get the whole "she is saying basic 1st year freshman feminism stuff" because if the arguments were so basic and obvious then the entire internet wouldn't explode whenever she says it.

It seems disingenuous to say that something is obvious if the act of saying it causes a multi year controversy.

Also, fart

She's basically the Bill O' Reily of gaming feminsim.

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

she isn't as smart or as groundbreaking as she thinks she is but her "opponents" are so totally vile I feel bad for saying anything critical about her

if ray lewis got in a fistfight with ray rice it would be perfectly acceptable not to root for either side and hope they both beat the poo poo out each other

cis white male
Jul 5, 2014

i'm a fag i'm a lesbian
i mean give me a heads up when al roker fucks gabe newell

now we're cooking with fire

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Upon a long reflection Zoe Quinn seems p. cool

you are really loving lame man

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Mulefisk posted:

What does that even mean

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros

Mulefisk posted:

Actually that's pretty accurate. Misrepresenting examples on top of manipulative and dishonest tactics.

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

She takes TV Tropes seriously as a resource, instead of recognizing it as a place for broken sexual deviants to do cargo cult media analysis.

This is quite damning, but is the definition of tropes she quotes wrong?

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

What does that even mean
She was cucking with a loofah

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Proteus4994 posted:

if ray lewis got in a fistfight with ray rice it would be perfectly acceptable not to root for either side and hope they both beat the poo poo out each other

oh absolutely

but really her opponents are generally way worse people than she is

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

She was cucking with a loofah

hot

Doctor Shapes
Mar 17, 2009

Ask and ye shall receive.

now they know the goons hatred of the video games

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Azraelle posted:

This is quite damning, but is the definition of tropes she quotes wrong?

Yes. Damsel in distress is only a trope on tee-vee tropes dot org.

Biggie Shorty
Oct 8, 2008
"guys guys Anita is great because she trolls nerds! Isn't that totally cool! targeting an emotionally stunted group of awkward man children is great because I can laugh and pretend that I'm not one of those pathetic assholes even though I totally am"

*feasts heartily on he own feces*

Lightanchor
Nov 2, 2012
The problem with tropes, generally, is that they're meaningless by themselves. They can't be for or against anything. The context and reading determine what they mean.

Loot
Apr 3, 2013

119-242 Text Count
+59 Contribution Score
+5.9% Cold Resistance

6.7% chance of shitposting
Fires rockets instead of bullets!

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

I'd like her more if she actually blew all the extra kickstarter money on shoes or liquor or books or whatever it is feminist spokeswomen spend money on.

The average weekly liquor budget for looking at anti-feminist posts on Youtube usually ranges at $40-$50.

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

It'd be a great advancement to feminism if you were to point out how broken people are on TVTropes.

Doctor Shapes posted:

now they know the goons hatred of the video games

Doctor Shapes
Mar 17, 2009

Ask and ye shall receive.

Biggie Shorty posted:

"guys guys Anita is great because she trolls nerds! Isn't that totally cool! targeting an emotionally stunted group of awkward man children is great because I can laugh and pretend that I'm not one of those pathetic assholes even though I totally am"

*feasts heartily on he own feces*

wow that kind of describes me? wtf?

Roy
Sep 24, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

What does that even mean

She kinda looks like an old man.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
It's so loving tough to figure out ethics in this video game dystopia.

*buy game*
*support dev*
*befriend dev on Twitter/Facebook/IRL*
*realize you're a biased actor in any article about said dev*
*avoid getting pissy when said dev wants you to write about them more*

Look at that. Five loving steps. That poo poo's tough, homie.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Azraelle posted:

Thinking dead woman's bodies are at all attractive to men, or woman suffering as part of a narrative is bad even if it's necessary to help set the tone of the world the game is set in. She also tends to misrepresent the intent of her actually reasonable critics like sex positive feminists who are more concerned with woman's sexual liberation (IE have strong female characters, who cares if they are hot or not) than viewing every hot woman in a video games as an assault on woman everywhere.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Also, fart

even today most people still don't go to college, let alone take a feminism/women's studies class in college, let alone even be old enough to go to college

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros

Loot posted:

It'd be a great advancement to feminism if you were to point out how broken people are on TVTropes.

https://www.youtube.com/user/CrazyGoggs

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I've noticed IGn has no articles about Zoe Quinn or anything about this whole controversy

Is IGN the most unbiased gaming source?

I say yes

yes indeed

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Anitas tits are small rear end hell. That's why she wears those baggy rear end Curt Cobain shirts.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Falsum posted:

IMO making fun of oversensitive losers is fine but doxxing or trying to stir IRL poo poo is going way too far.

Also game journos aren't the only people pissy about the Patreon policy, lol

Who are these people? I had a life before this topic.

edit: Anita looked really good imo until she started reviewing games and decided she had to have corpse makeup.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I've noticed IGn has no articles about Zoe Quinn or anything about this whole controversy

Is IGN the most unbiased gaming source?

I say yes

yes indeed

They're a big fish kinda place. Indie plebs need not apply.:smug:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Alexzandvar posted:

Thinking dead woman's bodies are at all attractive to men,

You missed the point

quote:

or woman suffering as part of a narrative is bad even if it's necessary to help set the tone of the world the game is set in.

you missed the point

quote:

She also tends to misrepresent the intent of her actually reasonable critics like sex positive feminists who are more concerned with woman's sexual liberation (IE have strong female characters, who cares if they are hot or not) than viewing every hot woman in a video games as an assault on woman everywhere.

no she doesn't

Anyone who wants to say what Anita says is basic or obvious look at this here mother fucker right here missing the point like drat

Look at it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Gaming journalism has always been trash, gaming magazines did not pop into existence through the power of magic fairy dust, they were started by publishers and companies. The internet has made any need to go to a "news site" irrelevant because you can just go to said companies or games webpage to find out everything you need.

• Locked thread