Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Yeah seriously, how the gently caress is that a spoiler?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Dexo posted:

I guess maybe in that it tells us that the fight ends in that chapter?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

To be perfectly fair it might be a spoiler that this fight would ever end.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Dexo posted:

Ok, I haven't read the RAW but, after that, I'm completely sure that Ippo loses. Otherwise there wouldn't be any interesting reactions from us and just our usual mockery. So yeah, Ippo loses. Which is good.

Jedah posted:

Yep, and this kind of nonsense is exactly why I don't post here anymore. I hate to break it to you, but that is not a spoiler. I'm not gonna sit here and argue about it, either. If you really feel that way, you better edit your post and add spoiler tags, because I just did.

But my post has spoiler tags?

trucutru fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Aug 26, 2014

Punc
Nov 3, 2009

Ass to Ass.
Chapters 1066 and 1067 are out.
Ippo isn't going to lose, unfortunately.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I swear the last panel of that one.

You can barely see Ippo's eye, it looks he's just fighting like a blood crazed zombie. Also cut off at page 13. It sucks when that happens. It also feels like dude is taking lessons from bleach. Fights never drag out this long.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Shindragon posted:

I swear the last panel of that one.

You can barely see Ippo's eye, it looks he's just fighting like a blood crazed zombie. Also cut off at page 13. It sucks when that happens. It also feels like dude is taking lessons from bleach. Fights never drag out this long.

Now it seems like Ippo has no choice but to fight Martinez, right? Either way it still blows and this couldn't have been more predictable.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

RIP

Edit: Though Real talk ending the series now would be pretty great

Dexo fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Aug 27, 2014

deepshock
Sep 26, 2008

Poor zombies never stood a chance.

Dexo posted:

RIP

Edit: Though Real talk ending the series now would be pretty great

(Post-issue speculation)
Some people were hoping for an Ashita No Joe ending, it wouldn't be that bad to have their wish granted. Alternately, I'd even accept a non-fatal career ender, with Ippo being his usual optimistic self and being glad for having had the opportunity to box in the first place, and all he's learned about himself and spirit and bla bla bla shonen manga.

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

Really, I don't give a poo poo about Ippo losing and it was at least partially foreshadowed with how lackadaisical he was before the fight. The first thing that came to my mind was, 'drat, now this manga is going to take even longer to end'. We're going to have to go through another recovery arc, then he'll probably have a rematch (and I imagine probably a fight with Miyata at some point) and who knows what else before finally having a crack at Martinez.

Add to that all the side character fights and I don't see this wrapping up any time soon. Barring comical brain damaged Ippo ending.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Ok, this is not the kind of manga (Turbo-spoilers!)with Ashita-No-Joe endings. Ippo is going to be heavily injured and such but I *hope* this finally opens the Coach's stupid eyes so that he can actually train that idiot properly, which will make for a better manga. And, while Ippo trains (off-panel, or with a montage, keeping the radical new training secret would be nice) let's have some Takamura fights.

I also love Takamura's expert observations. "Dude was knocked out by a single punch" says that idiot after a 2-chapter slugfest.

And Sheer-heart-attack next to him also had some remarkably dumb thoughts, haha.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm really happy that it turned out this way. I don't mind it taking longer for him to reach the top if it means he learns to actually think while boxing. The coach remembered Miguel specifically telling him that their style would result in Ippo being injured/killed, so I'm pretty sure they're going to make some changes to his style now.

edit: I also noticed that you can draw a comparison (that isn't in Ippo's favor) between this fight and that Vorg fight against that American boxer. I think there's a reason why Morikawa chose to show that fight when he did.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Aug 27, 2014

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Wow.

I was expecting Japanese burning spirit bullshit but he actually lost. Maybe the Coach will learn to stop making Ippo charge head on. Kinda wish the fight didn't drag out, I mean probably animation wise this fight will look great but it took too long to get the conclusion. Granted I know what the author was going for but maybe it would've been better if the panels didn't all feel the same.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
This makes it easier for the author to fill in the necessary fights. It'll probably be Itagaki -> Sendo III -> Martinez/Miyata -> Martinez/Miyata

The Miyata fight could be either for a belt with Ippo as the challenger or a belt unification

Sendo will probably be for a challenger spot

Also gives him time to get in Takamura's fights

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

That one punch that Ippo ate full on his face looked almost exactly like the punch Manny Paquiao took when he was knocked out by Juan Manuel Marquez. It was glorious. Eagerly awaiting Hajime no Brain Damage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGI2GlURxbM

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
All's well that ends well. Can't wait to see what happens next.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

1069 Was really brutal and very well done. I liked this fight even though it dragged quite a bit.

Punc
Nov 3, 2009

Ass to Ass.
Huh.
I was wrong. Oh so wrong. Hopefully Ippo and coach will actually take something away from this, instead of punching more logs into hills.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

tbp posted:

This makes it easier for the author to fill in the necessary fights. It'll probably be Itagaki -> Sendo III -> Martinez/Miyata -> Martinez/Miyata

The Miyata fight could be either for a belt with Ippo as the challenger or a belt unification

Sendo will probably be for a challenger spot

Also gives him time to get in Takamura's fights

I think they will stick Imai in there somewhere as well. But right now that wouldn't make sense fight for the Japanese title again? How do they get to the Itagaki fight as well? Seems like a lot of shakeup is coming.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Punc posted:

Huh.
I was wrong. Oh so wrong. Hopefully Ippo and coach will actually take something away from this, instead of punching more logs into hills.

I think it's actually headed in a good direction with respect to this. The coach genuinely seemed to have some huge regrets as he watched in horror his student - who he knew was following his teachings like it was the gospel - got the poo poo pounded out of him. Just look at his face. I think he knows full well that this was all his fault.

I would have preferred if he lost to Gonzales' original more calculated style rather than after getting into a big slugfest, though. It would have made more sense. I'm still happy about it, though, and looking forward to reading this manga for the first time in probably years.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Now it's time for the Mashiba / Vorg arc.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Ytlaya posted:

I think it's actually headed in a good direction with respect to this. The coach genuinely seemed to have some huge regrets as he watched in horror his student - who he knew was following his teachings like it was the gospel - got the poo poo pounded out of him. Just look at his face. I think he knows full well that this was all his fault.

I would have preferred if he lost to Gonzales' original more calculated style rather than after getting into a big slugfest, though. It would have made more sense. I'm still happy about it, though, and looking forward to reading this manga for the first time in probably years.

I like that they did with Martinez exactly what Takamuras strength is. He's got the ability to out box almost anyone, and an unmatched wild side. Martinez obviously a bit less but Ippo doesn't have that, he only has one aspect to his fighting. It's been a pretty big theme

runwiled
Feb 21, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

I believe that having Gonzales fight Ippo on Ippo's terms and still come out on top is supposed to drive another point home: that Ippo was beaten at his own game. Gonzales could mix up his styles and even maintain a degree of focus in his "beserker," mode. Gonzales had something to drive him and it ultimately made him stronger than Ippo.

Ippo on the other hand can only fight one way and we saw in the lead-up to the fight a "weakness," in his lack of a personal goal, a dream. He was boxing in this fight to prove that his coach's training can take him to the world stage. He's living another man's dream. Ippo needs to start boxing for himself.

He also needs to get better at boxing.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

runwiled posted:

I believe that having Gonzales fight Ippo on Ippo's terms and still come out on top is supposed to drive another point home: that Ippo was beaten at his own game. Gonzales could mix up his styles and even maintain a degree of focus in his "beserker," mode. Gonzales had something to drive him and it ultimately made him stronger than Ippo.

Ippo on the other hand can only fight one way and we saw in the lead-up to the fight a "weakness," in his lack of a personal goal, a dream. He was boxing in this fight to prove that his coach's training can take him to the world stage. He's living another man's dream. Ippo needs to start boxing for himself.

Yeah, and the great thing about this fight is that it makes it seem like Morikawa is aware of the weaknesses we've been harping on in this thread and is willing to address them. I had pretty much given up on that prior to this chapter and just assumed he was calling it in and would have shounen spirit drive Ippo to success.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
Calling it, next issue is Gonzalez beating Martinez and becomes rich and famous, eventually leading him to become the King of Mexico. Then he realizes that its all a dream and he is still falling to the ground from Ippo's punch which was so filled with samurai spirit that it caused him to hallucinate. He drops to the ground, Ippo wins and back to the bullshit.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
what is wrong with y'all. You're all using spoiler tags like this is interesting and consequential in anyway whatsoever

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009
Is it over? Is he finally dead?

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Time for Hajime no Takamura! Takamura takes on all ranks of the world, and moves on to challenge the universe!

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

Nahxela posted:

Time for Hajime no Takamura! Takamura takes on all ranks of the world, and moves on to challenge the universe!

If only.

Good to see Ippo being knocked out by Mexican not-so-ubermensch Gonzalez, and hoping that this will lead to him changing his style. I kept wondering why the coach kept thinking about the Woli fight, and it was nice to see it spelled out in such a way.

If anything Ippo's main weakness is that he's become too straightforward. Comparing this to the Sendo title fight, where he even faked spirit punches, he's come to rely only on his strength and pushing forward. He's a one trick pony, and once someone figures that trick, he's done for.

I wonder if it will be like Rocky 3, where he will be coached by someone who actually cares to round out his skills, by focusing more on his speed and mobility, and not trying to win every fight by K.O.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Kal-L posted:

I wonder if it will be like Rocky 3, where he will be coached by someone who actually cares to round out his skills, by focusing more on his speed and mobility, and not trying to win every fight by K.O.

Mayhaps we'll see his skillset expanded by the other coaches in the gym, who I'm sure would also like to be relevant again.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Shinjobi posted:

Mayhaps we'll see his skillset expanded by the other coaches in the gym, who I'm sure would also like to be relevant again.

Hmmm... would be interesting if they started him sparring against Itagaki more and working out something there.

KoB
May 1, 2009
The final match will mirror his Japanese Title, therefore Miyata has to be Champ in order for Ippo to be the challenger.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Ippo's main weakness is that he seems fight most of his match unconscious because he style is for him to get punched to death and then carried on by his raging Japanese spirit.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
As well deserved as this loss was, the recovery arc is likely going to be unbearable.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Ippo suffers fatal brain damage and dies after this fight. We cut to ten years in the future. Kamogawa's gym has been left destitute after Kamogawa's death. Takamura, now too old to fight and stripped of his former titles due to being A Goddamn Literal Rapist, struggles to reclaim the gym's glory days. But one day, a now-grown Thai outboxer arrives, looking to follow in Ichiro Miyata's footsteps. Could this be Takamura's final shot at redemption?

Hajime no Payao Chana.

DoubleDonut fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Aug 30, 2014

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

DoubleDonut posted:

Ippo suffers fatal brain damage and dies after this fight. We cut to ten years in the future. Kamogawa's gym has been left destitute after Kamogawa's death. Takamura, now too old to fight and stripped of his former titles due to being A Goddamn Literal Rapist, struggles to reclaim the gym's glory days. But one day, a now-grown Thai outboxer arrives, looking to follow in Ichiro Miyata's footsteps. Could this be Takamura's final shot at redemption?

Hajime no Payao.

I had to look up who Payao was. Totally didn't remember him at all.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Ytlaya posted:

I had to look up who Payao was. Totally didn't remember him at all.

You could also do Rocky V, but with Date or Take's son, or Takamura's little brother.

Edit: Also I'm dumb and I meant Payao's little brother who is named Chana.

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL
Just think: this totally could have happened like 300 issues ago and spared us from unrelenting bullshit wins over forgettable characters who contributed nothing to the story.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Ha-ha people think anything will change.

"Ippo you just need to try harder!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

SirDan3k posted:

Ha-ha people think anything will change.

"Ippo you just need to try harder!"

I dunno, this time seems like it might be different. Particularly the coach thinking of the Woli fight, which seemed to indicate that he knows their current strategy is awful and will lead to Ippo getting brain damage.

(I just want to be optimistic about the first interesting development in this manga in literally years :()