Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
There's a new Kakukaku. While it wasn't what I thought, it might as well have been. gently caress. :smith:

edit: ah gently caress, the afterword got me right in the guts. :smith:

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Aug 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Oh no no no, this is the worst. I keep trying to think what I would do and there's a big disconnect between what I think I would want to do and what I might actually have done while younger and really I'm not sure what would be the right decision there. Some situations don't really have a "right" answer. hoo boy.

E: afterword?

aag :smith:

a kitten fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Aug 29, 2014

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

After becoming aware that What Did You Eat Yesterday? was licensed, I picked up the first volume today. I enjoy it as much as I remember, and the English version seems solid. I wouldn't mind a few notes on Japanese cooking in back, but I understand that it's not really trying to be a primer on Japanese cooking for westerners.

I've read plenty of yuri and straight romance stuff, but this is pretty much the only BL/yaoi stuff I've ever gotten into. I think it's been asked before, but is there anything else out there that's A) good, B) not rape-y, and preferably C) involving adults? I suppose I'd prefer D) less explicit, but that's secondary to A-C.

Try -
Ichigenme wa Yaruki no Minpou by Yoshinaga Fumi - same author as WDYEY, about two guys in law school.
Hana wa Saku Ka? by Hidaka Shoko - 20yr old art school student and 30-something businessman. Super slow progress, ongoing.
Kuimonodokoro Akira and Koi no Hanashi ga Shitai by Yamashita Tomoko - 20-something guy and 30-something guy who work at a restaurant and guy falls in love with friend-of-a-friend plus some one-shots
Darenimo Aisarenai and Saigo no Door wo Shimero by Yamada Yugi - translator and publisher who are former classmates and two guys who meet at a wedding.

Those all fit A-C, and D assuming my memory is accurate.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

That was the last of volume 4 right? :( So now it'll probably be a while until the next volume is out & gets translated? :( :( :(

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Captain Invictus posted:

There's a new Kakukaku. While it wasn't what I thought, it might as well have been. gently caress. :smith:

Man, that afterword was just heart-wrenching after finding out what that phone call was.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Captain Invictus posted:

Good god. We knew it was gonna hurt, but... :(

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Captain Invictus posted:

This manga is going to kill me :(

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

I am now all emotional again

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Kusaru posted:

Try -
Ichigenme wa Yaruki no Minpou by Yoshinaga Fumi - same author as WDYEY, about two guys in law school.
Hana wa Saku Ka? by Hidaka Shoko - 20yr old art school student and 30-something businessman. Super slow progress, ongoing.
Kuimonodokoro Akira and Koi no Hanashi ga Shitai by Yamashita Tomoko - 20-something guy and 30-something guy who work at a restaurant and guy falls in love with friend-of-a-friend plus some one-shots
Darenimo Aisarenai and Saigo no Door wo Shimero by Yamada Yugi - translator and publisher who are former classmates and two guys who meet at a wedding.

Those all fit A-C, and D assuming my memory is accurate.

Thanks, friend! I will check these out.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A call that he was dead would actually be less heartbreaking than this. Really really can't wait for the next volume!!

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
She manages tone so well. Even after the cliffhanger in the last chapter I was totally immersed in reading about her happy life in Osaka. The phone call, when it came, was even more devastating than I imagined. gently caress!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Also her artstyle is usually really shabby and disjointed(but still effective and good) and then the reaction page to that is just super detailed to really hone in the serious tone.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

After becoming aware that What Did You Eat Yesterday? was licensed, I picked up the first volume today. I enjoy it as much as I remember, and the English version seems solid. I wouldn't mind a few notes on Japanese cooking in back, but I understand that it's not really trying to be a primer on Japanese cooking for westerners.

I've read plenty of yuri and straight romance stuff, but this is pretty much the only BL/yaoi stuff I've ever gotten into. I think it's been asked before, but is there anything else out there that's A) good, B) not rape-y, and preferably C) involving adults? I suppose I'd prefer D) less explicit, but that's secondary to A-C.

You should read her other ongoing series Ooku. http://www.amazon.com/%D4oku-The-Inner-Chambers-Vol/dp/1421527472
It's fantastic.

The new volume of Bokura no Hentai is exceptionally good so far. http://bato.to/read/_/270626/bokura-no-hentai_v6_ch22_by_hachimitsu-scans

coathat
May 21, 2007

The rest of Bokura no Hentai volume six is out and, drat that's some fine manga heartbreaking and beautifully hopeful.

My copy of What Did you Eat Yesterday should be be comming today. I'm excited for some more cooking!

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

In other news, I am literally going to die.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

coathat posted:

The rest of Bokura no Hentai volume six is out and, drat that's some fine manga heartbreaking and beautifully hopeful.

I'm enjoying this a lot more now I am reasonably sure things are not going to end with 'oh, it was just a phase'.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

DoubleDonut posted:

Yeah that sucks a lot of butts. I like that manga too.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

DoubleDonut posted:

:negative:

I hope some other group picks it up. Hajiotsu was perfect for some fuzzy aww-inducing feelings whenever it updated.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Eh, it's cute but also kind of boring. I'd been thinking about unfollowing for the past few chapters but kept reading because it was at least getting updates semi-regularly unlike a ton of other things I follow. Hibi Chouchou is also kind of reaching that stage where I need more than fluff to stay interested, but I like it better than Hajiotsu.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

I'm enjoying this a lot more now I am reasonably sure things are not going to end with 'oh, it was just a phase'.

I don't know why you think that. It never seemed to go in that direction ever.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

coathat posted:

in related news I started reading it and it's really good so that's cool.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

coathat posted:

Two out of the three main characters reason for cross dressing had nothing to do with actually wanting to. Also, I guess maybe I read it too quickly after Wandering Son and the darker tone threw me a bit.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

DoubleDonut posted:

Yeah make it a double suicide.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

There was a new chapter of Inari, Konkon, Koi Iroha a day or two ago.

It never gets much discussion here which is kind of a shame because it's pretty adorable, especially when it involves the dorkiest of brothers, and has pretty art so this is me simultaneously posting the new chapter and recommending it in general.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
The first few chapters're kinda weak, but then it starts really growing into its own beyond just "Inari being stupid with her new power... again" and having some interesting stuff going on.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Cake Attack posted:

There was a new chapter of Inari, Konkon, Koi Iroha a day or two ago.

It never gets much discussion here which is kind of a shame because it's pretty adorable, especially when it involves the dorkiest of brothers, and has pretty art so this is me simultaneously posting the new chapter and recommending it in general.
I like to discuss it when it comes out! It just seems to have a bit of a sporadic release schedule these days. I too rather like the bother/goddess couple and it sucks that things are probably going to get sad again :(

E: I am now caught up in Kakukaku Shikajika and everything is awful and sad and gently caress I've been broken. gently caress.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Sep 19, 2014

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Been forever since we got new Taiyou no Ie.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Blhue posted:

Much, much better direction than last time. Nice to have it back.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Blhue posted:

After the bullshit of the last couple chapters I wouldn't blame scanlators for not rushing to put out new chapters. Conveniently bringing Mao's mom in at that moment just to gently caress everything up again was a horribly trite drama grab, and I can only hope that Mao turns her down within the next chapter, two tops. If they drag it out much longer than that I'd probably drop the series for a while.

As someone who's been through something similar, I can only say that even if she feels guilty that she never contacted Mao at all in those years, that was her choice to not talk to her daughter at all, and she shouldn't try to pressure her into dropping the good life she's built up on her own just to live with the person who abandoned her.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
There is no ambiguity here, there is really only one correct answer as to what she should do. Mao even basically admits as such in this chapter. It'd be one thing if the mother had maintained any sort of relationship over the years, but as you pointed out that wasn't the case. That's what made her initial reaction so frustrating, especially when it was compounded with her bottling things up in the novel again.

I sort of think that the mother is trying to con her or something, because the whole situation is sort of weird. Why is she demanding an answer from her daughter rather than talk with Mao's dad herself? The whole thing stinks.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Blhue posted:

Mao's stepmom is really cool.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

@Kamisama Kiss S2 anime: I look forward to this more than I want to admit considering I kinda don't read shoujo anymore.

Still waiting for Tonari S2 esp. since the manga is complete and I think it's a semi-realistic story w/OK ending.

Anyone have recommendations to series similar to Horimiya? I'm a fan of josei now e.g. Jellyfish Princess and her related manga-ka inspired series. I liked Paradise Kiss (anime + manga) but Nana feels a little too long for me nowadays.

I'm not too crazy about long or melodramatic series like Bokura ga Ita and Ao Haru Ride.

Bonus if doesn't take place in HS and little to zero love triangles because.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Pink by Kyoko Okazaki is very good read.

Thirty-Five Minutes
Aug 12, 2007
not a republic serial villain

CCheshire posted:

Anyone have recommendations to series similar to Horimiya? I'm a fan of josei now e.g. Jellyfish Princess and her related manga-ka inspired series. I liked Paradise Kiss (anime + manga) but Nana feels a little too long for me nowadays.

I'm not too crazy about long or melodramatic series like Bokura ga Ita and Ao Haru Ride.

Bonus if doesn't take place in HS and little to zero love triangles because.

Have you read Bonnouji? It's about a woman who becomes friends with a guy living in the same condominium. The guy has a room full of random junk that his impulse-shopping brother mails to him.

It's quite undramatic, so it's mainly about how they get along and their daily activities, and how their friendship gradually deepens, rather than any love-related melodrama. The main characters are also adults. It's technically seinen, but I think it fits what you are after.

And also they are a very cute couple.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

coathat posted:

:agreed: pretty cheap on amazon too.

How's her other stuff? Been meaning to look into some of it.

Also, everyone should read Bonnouji.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Rivers Edge and Helter Skelter are both great but they're a lot more on the serious side than Pink. It's a shame that's all that been translated.

If y'all didn't know Crunchyroll picked up Watashi ga Motete Dousunda. http://www.crunchyroll.com/comics/manga/watashi-ga-motete-dousunda/volumes

It's nice to see them getting more shoujo manga. Especially one as funny as this.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

coathat posted:

Watashi ga Motete Dousunda

Wow I had completely missed this. It's way funnier than I expected it to be.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

coathat posted:

IIRC reading a review for Pink but eh not much of a fan of the art work orz.

Thirty-Five Minutes posted:

Have you read Bonnouji? It's about a woman who becomes friends with a guy living in the same condominium. The guy has a room full of random junk that his impulse-shopping brother mails to him.

It's quite undramatic, so it's mainly about how they get along and their daily activities, and how their friendship gradually deepens, rather than any love-related melodrama. The main characters are also adults. It's technically seinen, but I think it fits what you are after.

And also they are a very cute couple.

Thanks will check it out since the cover and summary looks interesting on MU.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
A new chapter of Wakabayashi's 4-Koma Collection was released.

This series still has some of the best reaction faces. I'm glad it was a happy ending, I was worried for a second :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
Does every romantic comedy mangaka live in the same building or something? There are quite a few lately that are notable first and foremost for their facial expressions.

If this is some kind of deliberate effort by publishing companies, I say keep it up.