Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

"Urist Doomdespairing has been depressed lately. He has been unsatisfied at writing class lately. He has suffered the travesty of art defacement. He admired his own pair of very fine *giant cave bat leather fingerless gloves* recently. He was pleased to be wearing tattered clothing lately. He was nauseated by the sun lately. He admired a superiorly designed *microcline coffin* recently."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

scamtank posted:

A garment with DUBSTEP:0 is a techno, DUBSTEP:1 covers the wubs, DUBSTEP:2 extends to the drop and DUBSTEP:3+/MAX shouldn't do anything to normal humanoids anymore since no standard living being can handle that much bass.

herr brau
Dec 20, 2005

relax, a photo's not gonna make any difference

My current fort - Moralbasements - is winding down its fifth year.

The previous year saw a massive tantrum spiral after a goblin invader managed to kill an inattentive and apparently well-liked dwarf. I let the spiral run its course with no intervention - my FPS was down to 25 or so and it was time for a culling. In the end, 88 dwarves were lost, but I was left with a core contingent of 11. This included 4 legendary military dwarves. They were likely able to survive by being able to dispatch any enraged children who decided to start a fist fight. Migrants are trickling in again. Now, I am up to 21 citizens, including children and they are still picking up the pieces. Everyone has been entombed/memorialized, but there are massive amounts of clothing scattered around.

And my FPS is a lot better.

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!

Dwarf Fortress: We have dwarf killing bass this time.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
A troll stood outside of my cavern entrance. I didn't notice it because it wasn't moving or fighting. It just chilled while my dwarves went to plunder animalmen corpses. The dwarves didn't mind, either. Then it got aggressive, but fortunately it stepped on a cage trap.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
My outpost liaison just offered to make my fort an official part of the realm... presuming that would mean an avalanche of whining nobles I declined. Just interesting as I never saw that choice before, just had the king or queen or whatever show up. Might be the last time they offer, seen as how one of their merchants accidentally drowned in my moat.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Dashticle posted:

My outpost liaison just offered to make my fort an official part of the realm... presuming that would mean an avalanche of whining nobles I declined. Just interesting as I never saw that choice before, just had the king or queen or whatever show up. Might be the last time they offer, seen as how one of their merchants accidentally drowned in my moat.

:airquote: accidentally :airquote:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Dashticle posted:

Nah. Right now all it means is one of your dwarfs (you get to pick which one) becomes a baron. If you pre select a dwarf and name him BARON or something so he's easy to find, you can pick a guy who has no preferences and so makes no demands. After becoming baron he will eventually be promoted to Duke, requiring an Opulent Throne Room, Grand Bedroom, Grand Dining Room, Grand Mausoleum, 5 chests, 3 cabinets, 3 weapon racks and 3 armor stands. It's really not that hard to do. Right now it is still broken so he'll keep doing his regular job instead of being a lazy noble.
Edit: once he has all his stuff, he and his spouse will easily be the happiest dwarfs in the fort, because off all the happy thoughts they get from admiring their fine property. Even having their kids die barely disturbs their euphoria.

Having a Baron gives you the option to appoint a Champion. Champions have no requirements, and all they do is teach combat stuff. So if you have a dwarf with martial skills who you don't want to risk in the military, you can make them champion. Or not, you are never required to appoint a champion.

A baron will also take over from the mayor in meeting with the outpost liaison. This is useful if your mayor is also your broker, or if you are in the middle of misery city and your mayor needs every moment to hold meetings with unhappy citizens to discourage them from tantruming.

Finally, a baron will enable the Human and Elven diplomats. Mostly just a flavor thing. The human diplomat never seems to have anything important to say. The elven diplomat will try to negotiate limits on tree cutting.

Due to inheritance rules, it is possible for some random dwarf to inherit a Baron (or even king) title at any time now. The fact that he ought to be baron of some other place doesn't seem to matter, a baron in your fort is automatically the baron of that fort. I only had it happen once, but having a random dwarf become a baron was annoying, because I didn't have his suite ready yet and he also had undesirable preferences. I wonder what would happen if you already had a baron when some other dwarf inherited a title? 2 barons?

Facebook Aunt fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Aug 29, 2014

Catts
Nov 3, 2011
2 barons 1 fort would make for some good fanfic.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Grey Hunter posted:

So, new world, new fort, I'm trying to get my dwarves to build the depot when the trader turns up. Hes a goblin. I check my (dwarven) civilization and notice that all the barons and baronesses are Goblins.

Great. Apparently I've just been handed the same universe as Bronzestabbed!

That is really really common now. More common the longer you let history run.

A dwarf fortress with a bunch of goblins and humans,

code:
46: Nugrethvabok, "Weatherorbs", fortress
	Owner: The Rim of Fame, dwarves
	Parent Civ: The Holy Sabres, dwarves
	116 dwarves
	20 humans
	86 goblins

A human hamlet ruled by an elf,
code:
1966: Escuare, "Inkedgood", hamlet
	Owner: The Worshipful Society, humans
	Parent Civ: The Confederacy of Infamy, humans
	lady: Or Tautgaze, elf
	8 elves
	1 dwarf
	82 humans
A human forest retreat,
code:
52: Lolamaceni, "Blossomedgirder", forest retreat
	Owner: The Band of Dimples, humans
	Parent Civ: The Confederacy of Streams, humans
	administrator: Thrathdad Bannerjuggler, human
	3537 humans
	4 goblins
	1 elf
	5 peregrine falcons
	6 eagles
	2 horses
	2 yaks
	150 grizzly bears
	5 cougars
	6 goblin outcasts
	15 human outcasts
A hamlet ruled by an elf and inhabited by a couple kobolds,

code:
61: Almoab, "Enjoyedfarmed", hamlet
	Owner: The Growth of Wealth, elves
	Parent Civ: The Beards of Ruling, elves
	administrator: Adela Desertdwelling, elf
	2 kobolds
	1 elf
It's weird. No matter how messed up your civilization is you'll only get dwarfs as regular immigrants though.

Tirius
Aug 16, 2007

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
It would be pretty cool for your civilization to accept goblins/elves/humans that have been banished from their own civilizations, and for those individuals to occasionally migrate to your fortress.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
What's the best way to deal with a were-creature that wanders onto the map? All it takes is one bite to infect, so within 2 moons nearly everyone is dead or a werechinchilla.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Maarak posted:

What's the best way to deal with a were-creature that wanders onto the map? All it takes is one bite to infect, so within 2 moons nearly everyone is dead or a werechinchilla.

What actually happens when you have a whole fortress of were-creatures? Is it temporary bouts of craziness once a month, with otherwise normal operation? Because that would be pretty awesome.

Are were-creatures hostile to each other?

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Maarak posted:

Were creatures don't attack each other to the best of my knowledge.

Once everyone is a were-something you're basically running Fort Innsmouth.

"Hail, fellow dwarf. I am a new migrant. How goes life at this fortress."

"Things here are... fine... Let me show you... to your... bed... room."

Just remember to hose down the hallways once a month or the new migrants might get suspicious.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Spanish Matlock posted:

Just remember to hose down the hallways once a month or the new migrants might get suspicious.

Why? Halls slick with blood and vomit are normal for a mature fortress.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Spanish Matlock posted:

Were creatures don't attack each other to the best of my knowledge.

Once everyone is a were-something you're basically running Fort Innsmouth.

"Hail, fellow dwarf. I am a new migrant. How goes life at this fortress."

"Things here are... fine... Let me show you... to your... bed... room."

This sounds amazing. Any way to control infection?

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

Why? Halls slick with blood and vomit are normal for a mature fortress.

One of these days I'm going to dedicate a dwarf to cleaning. No other labours.

loving TROLL BLOOD JESUS. Looks like someone blew up a glowstick.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

Xand_Man posted:

Sounds amazing til your CPU catches fire trying to keep track of all the socks your dwarves keep bursting out of every month.

e: Werecreatures are friendly to other werecreatures of the same species, but will attack others.

e2: And regarding my nobles, a dwarf in my fort already became a baron through inheritance before the message about joining the mountainhome. I found it kinda funny that both he and the baroness require separate rooms (the beds at least, they appear to share other property) and both took consorts apparently. Seedy. I also don't have any option to name a Champion, maybe that only happens if you get a baron through choice and not through inheritance?

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Aug 29, 2014

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Splode posted:

One of these days I'm going to dedicate a dwarf to cleaning. No other labours.

loving TROLL BLOOD JESUS. Looks like someone blew up a glowstick.

Actually, you can use dwarven bathtubs to stop this from happening.

code:

______   ______/
/      |3|

just dig a small trench and fill it with 2 or 3 level water. Dwarves will happily pass this shallow water, washing themselves clean.

Or you could just install doors and have the main hallway eventually drain off the corner of the map somewhere and flush your fortress once a year or so.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Spanish Matlock posted:

code:

______   ______/
/      |3|

just dig a small trench and fill it with 2 or 3 level water. Dwarves will happily pass this shallow water, washing themselves clean.

Or you could just install doors and have the main hallway eventually drain off the corner of the map somewhere and flush your fortress once a year or so.

I do use these actually to prevent forgotten beasts with deadly powder from wiping out the fortress. Doesn't help the walls stay clean though.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Spanish Matlock posted:

code:

______   ______/
/      |3|

"What's that lever do?"
"That's the flusher, it flushes the fortress clean"
"With magma or water?"
:shrug:

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help

Angela Christine posted:

That is really really common now. More common the longer you let history run.

A dwarf fortress with a bunch of goblins and humans,

code:
46: Nugrethvabok, "Weatherorbs", fortress
	Owner: The Rim of Fame, dwarves
	Parent Civ: The Holy Sabres, dwarves
	116 dwarves
	20 humans
	86 goblins

A human hamlet ruled by an elf,
code:
1966: Escuare, "Inkedgood", hamlet
	Owner: The Worshipful Society, humans
	Parent Civ: The Confederacy of Infamy, humans
	lady: Or Tautgaze, elf
	8 elves
	1 dwarf
	82 humans
A human forest retreat,
code:
52: Lolamaceni, "Blossomedgirder", forest retreat
	Owner: The Band of Dimples, humans
	Parent Civ: The Confederacy of Streams, humans
	administrator: Thrathdad Bannerjuggler, human
	3537 humans
	4 goblins
	1 elf
	5 peregrine falcons
	6 eagles
	2 horses
	2 yaks
	150 grizzly bears
	5 cougars
	6 goblin outcasts
	15 human outcasts
A hamlet ruled by an elf and inhabited by a couple kobolds,

code:
61: Almoab, "Enjoyedfarmed", hamlet
	Owner: The Growth of Wealth, elves
	Parent Civ: The Beards of Ruling, elves
	administrator: Adela Desertdwelling, elf
	2 kobolds
	1 elf
It's weird. No matter how messed up your civilization is you'll only get dwarfs as regular immigrants though.

Where in Legends mode do you get this information? The Sites list only has historical entries for what's happened at the various different villages and none of it is very useful for figuring out what's going on in your world.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Pretty sure that's part of the info package you export into a text file.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

Oh, hey! DFHack 40.10-r1 happened. That's a good thing!

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

Xand_Man posted:

Maybe through clever use of traps and mechanisms but honestly it will be difficult.

The main problem is that werecreatures tend to be very very good at killing your dwarves, so it is very difficult to spread an infection without killing everyone.

On the plus side, your dwarves will regenerate any lost body parts once they transform back!

On the down side, werewhatevers are building destroyers. Yeah.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

I imagine a fortress full of werecreature dwarves would look like a rock star's hotel room after every full moon.

My werecreature type is Party Animal.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
A werechinchilla kind of sounds adorable until I remember the whole rodent teeth and jaws stuff.

Once had a weremongoose show up, and that sounds absolutely terrifying. It's not as big or tusked as an elephant or a mammoth but it's a MONGOOSE.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

Mongooses are adorable. Until you see one tear a snake to shreds.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Boing posted:

Where in Legends mode do you get this information? The Sites list only has historical entries for what's happened at the various different villages and none of it is very useful for figuring out what's going on in your world.

When you create a new world there is the option "p: Export image/info". Also in the legends screen as "p: export map/gen info". I like to check it in world gen, so if goblins are extinct I can abort that world and gen a new one without saving it. I started checking this religiously after creating a dozen small worlds in a row where at least one of the 4 major races were extinct. If you have a clever plan for dealing with dragons or colossuses or something it can also tell you whether any of those exist in your world.

Once exported, in the DF directory it will be a text file named something like "region2-00200-01-01-world_sites_and_pops".

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Maarak posted:

Don't try to fight it in beast form. Keep some disposable animals pastured outside as a distraction. Animals can not catch lycanthropy. As soon as you get the announcement that a werecritter has arrived, burrow everyone inside and lock the doors. Weres are building destroyers, but in my experience they don't path aggressively into the fortress. (I had a were locked in his own bedroom for 4 months before he got around to breaking down his bedroom door, and even then he just sat there until he turned back into a dwarf.) Unless you are very unlucky, the were will wander around outside killing dogs and rabbits until it turns back into a humanoid.

Meanwhile, assemble your military inside, near the entrance but behind a couple locked doors. The moment it turns back into a naked humanoid, rush out and kill it. It will try to run off the map, so you have to be ready. If you don't kill it, then it may come back again another month.

Watch the combat logs, if a dwarf is bitten while it is in beast form they may be infected. Or they may be fine. Lock them in individual rooms and consider walling the doorways shut just in case. Wait until the next scheduled transformation date. Anyone who doesn't transform is fine, you can unlock their doors and let the medical team go to work.

Those who are infected can either be killed, or simply walled up. If you wall them in then their friends and family won't get a bad thought from their deaths, but you'll also be left with eternal idlers because (unlike vampires) they can't do useful work. You can't have a were bookkeeper, because the idiots break their own furniture. You can put them in a constructed building outside the fortress, and then if things look very grim have them deconstruct their own walls, releasing them to cause chaos. Note: weres can climb, so if you wall them up outside you have to build a roof on their prison.

As for deliberate infection, there are some ideas here: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Werebeast#Infecting_your_entire_fort

unicr0n
Sep 8, 2003
Lost a fort last night thanks to the "failing to pit a goblin makes you hostile" bug when my Militia Commander and Elite Marksman failed to pit a goblin mace man. He killed the fleeing goblin and then calmly returned to the dining hall and proceeded to machine gun everyone to death.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

unicr0n posted:

Lost a fort last night thanks to the "failing to pit a goblin makes you hostile" bug when my Militia Commander and Elite Marksman failed to pit a goblin mace man. He killed the fleeing goblin and then calmly returned to the dining hall and proceeded to machine gun everyone to death.

It seems to cause a lot of strange behaviour. Most of the time my military dwarves would just try to beat the poo poo out of the offending dwarf without using their weapons, sometimes while the victim was pummeling a war dog which would refuse to defend itself. Because of bugs like this and also because I'm trying to finally master all the finer points of the game (minecart shotgun is my next project to tick off) I started savescumming.

I can tell you the best way of pitting right now is a retracting bridge over your pit and a raising one to close the area off. Build your cages on a ledge at the side of the retracting bridge and hook everything up to levers. Time consuming and you may lose cages, but fool proof and also allows you to drop a whole squad down on whatever horrors you have in your pit at the same time.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

Angela Christine posted:

Watch the combat logs, if a dwarf is bitten while it is in beast form they may be infected. Or they may be fine. Lock them in individual rooms and consider walling the doorways shut just in case. Wait until the next scheduled transformation date. Anyone who doesn't transform is fine, you can unlock their doors and let the medical team go to work.

You can also check for hunger a thirst. A Werebeast needs no food or drink, so anyone who starts to suffer from those is clean.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

A_Raving_Loon posted:

You can also check for hunger a thirst. A Werebeast needs no food or drink, so anyone who starts to suffer from those is clean.

I think they still get hungry and thirsty, but that gets reset when they transform so they can't die from dehydration/starvation.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

It's a classic witch test. Starve them, and if they come out alive, they are obviously evil and must be killed.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The Moon Monster posted:

I think they still get hungry and thirsty, but that gets reset when they transform so they can't die from dehydration/starvation.

I've definitely seen them get thirsty.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Newest version of TWBT supports the current DFHack suite. We're back in business.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
How do you install that? The readme has no information on how and just dropping the files into the root folder doesn't work.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

The Windows stuff? Look in the folder that matches your DFHack version and then drop the crap you find in there into \Dwarf Fortress\hack\plugins. If you want to use the multilevel features, put the shadows.png in \Dwarf Fortress\data\art also. I highly recommend you use the nextgen branch, it's slated to replace the old, coughing "main" branch soon.

Then you start beating your inits in shape. To activate the plugin, you need PRINT_MODE:STANDARD, GRAPHICS:YES and FONT & GRAPHICS_FONT must use different .pngs. Adjust the fullscreen tiles too, if you roll like that. If you're not using any graphics packs, get rid of the ones Toady threw in as placeholders from Dwarf Fortress\raw\graphics first.

FONT is used for text and basic stuff that's either unsupported or too difficult to implement in its own way. GRAPHICS_FONT is used for the playing field. Make the first one easy on the eyes to read and the second one square and/or pretty or whatever the hell you're looking for in fancy graphics.

To activate the multi-Z rendering, use the DFHack command multilevel x with the number of levels you want to see at once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Ah, that's why. I downloaded the current gen one and it was just a jumble of files. Thanks.