Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I'm always hearing the tak-tak-tak-tak when somebody has a tiny rock wedged in their tread. Don't know how you could miss a tire iron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

My wife managed to get one of those black rubber trucker-type cords with the S-hooks hooked in her right rear tire.....at 80 mph. No missing that, it sounded like the loving world was ending.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Godholio posted:

How the gently caress? I got a paperclip stuck in a tire and every time it scratched my fender I could hear something. It drove me nuts after about 1/4 of a mile and I pulled over to figure it out (and was mildly annoyed, because seriously a loving paperclip?).

Something got stuck to my rear tires and wouldn't shut up, so I did what any reasonable person would do and turned off the traction control then removed it :v:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I went around a corner sideways near the end of last winter and wondered why I was hearing gravel bouncing off the wheel wells.

Realized later that it was all the studs getting ripped out :v: I can only imagine the sparks I must have been throwing.

Ever since then I've had the perverse desire to get custom studs made by some chinese company... with ferrocerium cores instead of tungsten carbide :unsmigghh:

I figure a 25/75 mix of those and regular carbide studs would probably be ideal.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Doesn't titanium throw white sparks? They might last longer...

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

CornHolio posted:

I guess this goes here.

My brother called me yesterday, terrified. He was driving his car (a '98 Honda Accord) and was experiencing unintended acceleration. He was at a Lowe's and afraid to drive.

I head over there and start poking around. I noticed that the top of his air intake box was completely unlatched, but didn't think much of it. When I pulled the intake off, though, I found something lodged tight in the throttle body, preventing it from closing (it was stuck at about 75% throttle). I managed to free it and pull it out...

It was a radiator cap!

He had a local shop replace his radiator last week (it was leaking bad) and they apparently placed the old cap on top of his filter (why they had the box off, I don't know, they should have had plenty of room) and forgot about it. It got sucked up toward his engine and got jammed under the throttle plate. Scary stuff.

That very, very nearly could have caused an accident and a lawsuit or several. I'm calling the shop shortly to tell them about it.

Holy poo poo. I have the same generation Accord. You don't have to pull the air box to replace the radiator.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Cakefool posted:

Doesn't titanium throw white sparks? They might last longer...

Wikipedia posted:

Titanium
Although titanium is a non-ferrous metal, it gives off a great deal of sparks. These sparks are easily distinguishable from ferrous metals, as they are a very brilliant, blinding, white color.[7]

Yes, I guess. drat, I wonder how much titanium studs would cost though.

e: vvv so basically if I'm camping I can do a burnout to start a campfire. Oh hell yes. vvv

kastein fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Aug 29, 2014

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Ti sparks can go up to 1600*C, burn a good long while, and are assumed to be the cause of a few major forest fires. So by the time you're done sparking, you'll be leaving a trail of ignited rubber/plastic/whatever else would light from that temp.

What I'm saying is, no matter what the cost, it will be worth it. :getin:

Naturally Selected fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Aug 29, 2014

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

Try the new F150s for safety. I swear to Jesus tapdancing Christ when they got all the bad publicity for the turn-of-the-century ones they started making the cabs out of unobtainium and now they're loving impenetrable. It's almost ridiculous.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

PhotoKirk posted:

Holy poo poo. I have the same generation Accord. You don't have to pull the air box to replace the radiator.

I threw that picture on reddit too, and somebody mentioned that it's easier to replace the hoses if you take the filter box out. So they probably replaced the hoses.

Oh god I wonder where the old hoses are.

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL
Only thing i have found in my car after having it in the shop is some fast food containers and a condom.

when i found the condom the shop payed for the interior of the car to be detailed

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Mr. Despair posted:

My bike actually had a mechanical failure yesterday. Bent the front derailleur (I'm guessing on a bad downshift when crossing the one busy street on my commute) far enough that it was hitting the crank arm. Managed to trim it so that I could at least ride it to the shop to get it fixed, and then the front wheel decided to go out of true right as I got there. Not a good day for that bike.

Just bend it back.
Back in the early 00s, the low end Shimano road stuff (Tiagra and below) had terrible QC. At the bike shop I worked, we had to bend the poo poo out of almost every front derailleur on low end road bikes right out of the box to make them work.

I once found a snap on cordless impact wrench on the back of my car. Mechanic practically hugged me for bringing it back.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

fjelltorsk posted:

Only thing i have found in my car after having it in the shop is some fast food containers and a condom.

when i found the condom the shop payed for the interior of the car to be detailed to be filled with gasoline and set fire to.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Godholio posted:

How the gently caress? I got a paperclip stuck in a tire and every time it scratched my fender I could hear something. It drove me nuts after about 1/4 of a mile and I pulled over to figure it out (and was mildly annoyed, because seriously a loving paperclip?).

I've got a little collection on my desk at work of the things I've picked up in my tires on my commute. Among the usual collection of roofing nails and drywall screws are a 1/4 20 bolt with 2 nuts, a 10mm box wrench, a total of 6 hand forged nails from the late 1800s, two railroad spikes, and a horseshoe.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I've got a little collection on my desk at work of the things I've picked up in my tires on my commute. Among the usual collection of roofing nails and drywall screws are a 1/4 20 bolt with 2 nuts, a 10mm box wrench, a total of 6 hand forged nails from the late 1800s, two railroad spikes, and a horseshoe.

How many barns do you drive through on your way to work?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Pony Express Trail. :clint:

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

fjelltorsk posted:

when i found the condom the shop payed for the interior of the car to be detailed

Used or unused? This makes a difference.

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL

veedubfreak posted:

Used or unused? This makes a difference.

oh, it was used. or atleast it looked used. i spotted it in the passenger footwell on the way home from the shop, turned around, grabbed the closest employee and started swearing.

i sold that car when i got it back from that detailing, I was also comped the service and given a rather nice giftcard for future work at the shop...

the next time i had them do work on it for me i left a note on the seat saying "Ingen puling i bilen" (No loving in the car)

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

How many barns do you drive through on your way to work?

In the Irricana blacksmith shop, we hold a kid's day in the early summer. We make tons of hand made nails and give one to each of the kids, and they tend to do one of three things with them:

1. Hold onto it forever because it is treasure.
2. Get a friend to crank the old sandstone hand grinder and 'sharpen' it until they burn themselves holding onto it.
3. Drop it where the old tractors drive around, get stuck in very expensive rubber, and the old guys yell at us for giving a hundred mischievous munchkins a very effective carpet of caltrops.

It's pretty drat adorable. :3:

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
No pic because :supaburn:
About a month ago I was refilling the car with LPG, or at least trying to. I had to give up. Every time I tried, LPG just came pouring out from around the filler thing. I didn't realise what was happening at first. But after a few attempts of undoing and doing up the filler and having a closer look it was obvious. So there was evaporating LPG all over the place plus the stuff that shoots out from the little vent holes in the pump filler every time the handle is released. Bit of an oh poo poo moment.
I told the cashier about it and they said it's probably my car. I pretty much said that's bullshit but whatever. It wasn't the car by the way. Maybe someone got to see a nice little fireball later that day.

It never occurred to me that the pump side could fail that way instead of the big O ring on the port on the car failing first.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
They let you fill LPG yourself in Australia?

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

dissss posted:

They do in western Europe. Do they not allow you to in some countries? Why?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

They do in western Europe. Do they not allow you to in some countries? Why?

1 - it creates jobs
2 - for the children
3 - terrorism
4 - you aren't smart enough to pump gas but a high school dropout is, you filthy pleb

(choose two)

Seriously, two of these are the justifications for why New Jersey and Oregon don't allow people to pump their own gas.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

dissss posted:

Sure. I'm not sure if you are familiar with the setup but it's way different to filling propane bottles, which we aren't allowed to do.

We use fillers like this that are attached to pumps that strongly resemble a normal fuel pump.

That big brass bit spins. It has a thread on the inside that engages with the nozzle on the car. Just screw it down tight, squeeze the handle while contemplating the universe (LPG flows slower than petrol), when it goes clunk and the gas stops flowing, release the handle whilst enjoying the sci-fi-esque jets of gas that shoot out of the little vent holes on the sides, unscrew it, hook it back into the thing in the pump and go pay.

The only real difference is that it screws in instead of just being shoved into a hole.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
The UK is similar - we use a bayonet fitting - insert and turn 90 degrees to lock, then squeeze and lock the handle to open the valves. Filling is done by holding a 'fill' button on the pump itself, which is nice as most fill ports are located either near, in, or under the rear bumper. We also get the cool jets of gas when we release the handle to close the valves.

I was at a Shell once and an employee asked me if I wanted them to fill my car. My answer was something along the lines of 'what, are you serious?' followed by a polite refusal. I can pump my own fuel, thanks. :stare:

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

The UK is similar - we use a bayonet fitting - insert and turn 90 degrees to lock, then squeeze and lock the handle to open the valves. Filling is done by holding a 'fill' button on the pump itself, which is nice as most fill ports are located either near, in, or under the rear bumper. We also get the cool jets of gas when we release the handle to close the valves.

I was at a Shell once and an employee asked me if I wanted them to fill my car. My answer was something along the lines of 'what, are you serious?' followed by a polite refusal. I can pump my own fuel, thanks. :stare:

The handle locks have generally been removed from pumps in Australia where it's not an employee-only fill situation. So we just have to stand there holding the tough to hold in handle for ages as our hands slowly freeze. If there are bayonets, why the gently caress do we have Edison screw? I like bayonet fittings on things. It'd be brilliant on the Ford. It takes me ages to screw the drat thing on because if I'm not careful I cut my hand open on the latch bit on the fuel filler flap.
now I think of it, it's probably the way it is because it's simpler.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Mr. Wiggles posted:

a total of 6 hand forged nails from the late 1800s

Are you sure they were old nails, or could they possibly have been a more recently produced "cut nail"? They're used for specialty purposes that need high holding strength. I think they're commonly used for making pallets.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

kastein posted:

1 - it creates jobs
2 - for the children
3 - terrorism
4 - you aren't smart enough to pump gas but a high school dropout is, you filthy pleb

(choose two)

Seriously, two of these are the justifications for why New Jersey and Oregon don't allow people to pump their own gas.

LPG is not gasoline. I imagine most of the laws against pumping your own propane come from the time when the process was as follows:

1. Screw the pump nozzle onto the tank
2. Open the bleed/level indicator screw next to the fill neck on the tank
3. Start pumping
4. Shut the pump off when the bleed screw starts spraying freezing, liquid propane all over the goddamn place as this indicates the tank is at 80% (ie, legally full)
5. Stick your hand into the cloud of freezing propane and shut off the (now totally frozen) bleed screw. Hopefully you had gloves close by, otherwise hello frostbite
6. Unscrew the pump nozzle from the tank

Note that if you forgot step 2, the flow would not automatically shut off and so it was possible to way overfill tanks, creating an explosion hazard.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

General_Failure posted:

Sure. I'm not sure if you are familiar with the setup but it's way different to filling propane bottles, which we aren't allowed to do.

Ha no - I just assumed it was similar to how the little tanks you use for your bbq work.

Apparently the rules here are you can self fill if the tank is attached to the vehicle, if it isn't then someone with the relevant cert needs to do it.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

EKDS5k posted:

LPG is not gasoline. I imagine most of the laws against pumping your own propane come from the time when the process was as follows:

1. Screw the pump nozzle onto the tank
2. Open the bleed/level indicator screw next to the fill neck on the tank
3. Start pumping
4. Shut the pump off when the bleed screw starts spraying freezing, liquid propane all over the goddamn place as this indicates the tank is at 80% (ie, legally full)
5. Stick your hand into the cloud of freezing propane and shut off the (now totally frozen) bleed screw. Hopefully you had gloves close by, otherwise hello frostbite
6. Unscrew the pump nozzle from the tank

Note that if you forgot step 2, the flow would not automatically shut off and so it was possible to way overfill tanks, creating an explosion hazard.

Like forklift tanks. I have a vague memory of being shown how to do it and doing the OH&S stuff so maybe I'm qualified to. No idea.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

General_Failure posted:

No pic because :supaburn:
About a month ago I was refilling the car with LPG, or at least trying to. I had to give up. Every time I tried, LPG just came pouring out from around the filler thing. I didn't realise what was happening at first. But after a few attempts of undoing and doing up the filler and having a closer look it was obvious. So there was evaporating LPG all over the place plus the stuff that shoots out from the little vent holes in the pump filler every time the handle is released. Bit of an oh poo poo moment.
I told the cashier about it and they said it's probably my car. I pretty much said that's bullshit but whatever. It wasn't the car by the way. Maybe someone got to see a nice little fireball later that day.

It never occurred to me that the pump side could fail that way instead of the big O ring on the port on the car failing first.

I had that once here too. I think the locking bit on the pump had been too chewed up and just wouldn't quite lock enough to to seal. It did make a pretty cool frozen pool down the side of my car and on the floor though.
The retards on the tills also blamed my car and I had to pay 20p or so for the LPG I had wasted. When I went back in a week or so there was a new filler head..

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

Chinatown posted:

Not trying to get on ya. The windshield cracking a bit is expected. The car is expensive because its a dolled up luxury Camry but the safety features are all Toyota, and are designed to absorb kinetic energy and looks like it worked.

That said, did the passenger airbags not inflate? I'm not sure if those are on a system where they only work if there is someone actively sitting in the passenger seat at impact. I'm not well versed in how modern airbag systems deploy and sense people.

How old is the grandma, by the way? Glad she picked out a great car. I used to valet at a Lexus dealership and ES sedans were the de-facto old person car.

Every single airbag went off as far as I saw but that wouldn't have done much good for a passenger considering how far the glovebox was pushed in. My grandma suffered wounds related primarily to going from forty miles an hour to zero in an instant, cushioned on every angle by airbags or not you're in for some major damage, especially if you're old. Her side of the cabin held up enough that I was able to sit in it. Her condition has gotten worse (internal bleeding, etc) but she's not in danger of dying, more like a very long road to recovery.

My grandma is in her early 60s but she should've stopped driving years ago. She was on oxycodone and apparently was weaving so bad prior to the crash someone was actually following her, pulled her out of the car when she hit the tree and gave a damning statement to the police so unless this state is insane her license is officially toast (it should be).

The transmission on her de-facto old person early 90s Avalon died and she opted to donate it and replace it with the de-facto old person Lexus a few months beforehand. That's fate for you.

NOTinuyasha fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Aug 30, 2014

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Any pictures of this? I sounds superior to the setup I'm familiar with.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

General_Failure posted:

The handle locks have generally been removed from pumps in Australia where it's not an employee-only fill situation. So we just have to stand there holding the tough to hold in handle for ages as our hands slowly freeze.

Sadly, our handle lock only opens the valves in the pump nozzle and fill port on the car, we have to manually 'pump' the fuel with a fill button. But they are usually located at just the right height so I can lean against it.

Gorilla Salad posted:

Any pictures of this? I sounds superior to the setup I'm familiar with.

Here's a cutaway of the port on the car, we only use the bayonet lugs, the internal thread is for adapters for use in other countries (there are 2 or 3 different types in Europe and most people carry adapters).

We have two types of pump nozzle:

This one seems to be the most common. You twist the barrel 90 degrees to lock it after inserting (yes you have to peer into it to line up the slots with the lugs on your car). The orange rubber protects you from frostbite from escaping gas when releasing. You don't have to hold it when filling.

This is the other type. Instead of a handle to lock, there is a lever. I prefer this type as you also rotate this lever 90 degrees to engage the bayonet (rather than just the barrel), and the lever lines up with the lugs on the car so there's no need to look at the end and try to line it up.

Pomp and Circumcized fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Aug 30, 2014

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

NOTinuyasha posted:

My grandma is in her early 60s but she should've stopped driving years ago. She was on oxycodone and apparently was weaving so bad prior to the crash someone was actually following her, pulled her out of the car when she hit the tree and gave a damning statement to the police so unless this state is insane her license is officially toast (it should be).
She is going to get a DUI. She needs a lawyer because accident DUIs generally mean jail. FYI.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

nm posted:

She is going to get a DUI. She needs a lawyer because accident DUIs generally mean jail. FYI.

^
Generally depends on the state, I know here in Az you get a day in tent city for your first DUI - mandatory. I know we have some of the harshest (not harsh enough, imo) laws in the country.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
DUIs that lead to accidents are usually treated harsher than where the offender is just pulled over and arrested. This might be treated differently than most DUI accidents due to age and because it was a 1-car accident.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

BlackMK4 posted:

^
Generally depends on the state, I know here in Az you get a day in tent city for your first DUI - mandatory. I know we have some of the harshest (not harsh enough, imo) laws in the country.

Yeah but does that really apply to elderly white people? I mean they are the whole reason rear end in a top hat Joe is the sheriff in the first place; I'd have to imagine Granny running into something after taking her medication happens with alarming frequency in AZ and I'm guessing Granny doesn't usually end up in tent city.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Yeah but does that really apply to elderly white people? I mean they are the whole reason rear end in a top hat Joe is the sheriff in the first place; I'd have to imagine Granny running into something after taking her medication happens with alarming frequency in AZ and I'm guessing Granny doesn't usually end up in tent city.

Yes... lawyers don't get you out of tent city here. I think it's kinda funny - he lives in Fountain Hills which is about three miles from my house and that place is known for houses dedicated to distributing heroin/mdma/others. It's a weird little place, down in a valley and fairly expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
Granny's mangled Lexus reminded me of this crash test of a Chinese SUV.

http://youtu.be/q4nyVtKgt70

Its not exactly the same sort of vehicle but that Lexus definitely soaked up the crash a lot better than some cars would. That test dummy is practically folded in half.