Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I can't really do anything for a while anyway. It's mostly just dreaming at this point. Our house is for sale and I'm not buying anything until we get another house with a garage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Insufferable measure of firewood
I'm in sit-n-wait mode until late 2015 to start shopping for one (or processing an order for one built to my specs), but it's good to know I'll be able to test-drive one soon.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Ugh. My 00 GT needed a new AC compressor and a few other doodads. This car is a rolling pickpocket. Oh well.. AT LEAST NOW I HAVE COLD AIR! Next up: fix the rear window seal back on the window.

I'd be done with this car if it didn't sound like a 1000 angel choir. Must resist the Merkur's siren song. Somebody tie me to my antenna.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

clutchpuck posted:

I'd be done with this car if it didn't sound like a 1000 angel choir. Must resist the Merkur's siren song. Somebody tie me to my antenna.

Who cares about the AC then? Drive with the windows down!

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I like using it to clear the condensation from my windshield in the winter. The Ranger and RX-7 have no AC, that's fine. The Mustang needs it.

After the tie rod ends, ball joints, wheel/axle bearings, differential bearings, AC everything, CPS seal, IAC, spark plugs, and plug boots, I hope I am running out of things to fix.

Tell me a stock 2v modular is good for more than 100k miles...

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Aug 28, 2014

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

clutchpuck posted:

I like using it to clear the condensation from my windshield in the winter. The Ranger and RX-7 have no AC, that's fine. The Mustang needs it.

After the tie rod ends, ball joints, wheel/axle bearings, differential bearings, AC everything, CPS seal, IAC, spark plugs, and plug boots, I hope I am running out of things to fix.

Tell me a stock 2v modular is good for more than 100k miles...
Which is weird. Aside from cracking an exhaust manifold last year, my 01 has had basically 0 maintenance done to it for the last decade. Clutch is getting old and it likes to idle super high (and be very slow coming down from higher RPMs) sometimes, but still drives fine.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I should have known a car that came with a flowmaster setup would be beat up.

Actually, to be fair, I had no idea it was kitted with exhaust when I bought it. I thought they all sounded like that from the inside.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Aug 28, 2014

Geology
Nov 6, 2005

Welp I said goodbye to the mustang today. Traded it in for a 2015 WRX. It was a fun car but I needed something more practical. Also had to get rid of it before the new ones come out *nervously tugs at collar*

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2014/08/28/first-2015-ford-mustang-built-flat-rock/14754729/

Interview and good video here.

goodfuldead
Feb 14, 2009

what a long strange thread its been

ilkhan posted:

They actually started building them around two weeks ago. ;)

Use giant Hella lights mounted, any, and every where.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001
quick question, What can I do about cleaning/detailing the engine bay? My problem are the heavily oxidized alternator and engine block and the stains from years of grease/grime on the interior sheet metal in the engine bay? I am pretty good about wiping down the plastics and hoses so they are pretty clean and jet black but everything else could use work.

what products, tools do you recommend?

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Oxidation you can't do much about that I know of. You could pull the alternator, sand it and coat it. same goes for the block, but a lot more work than you want to do. For the grease and grime, I get my best results with undiluted simple green, a hard bristle brush, elbow grease, beer, and a pressure washer. Make sure any vital electronics are sealed. You have the 87 LX, right? Make sure the distributor and ignition system are sealed up. When I cleaned my old fox bodies engine bays, I wrapped them with thick plastic wrap and used duck duct tape. Any adhesive from the duct tape can be cleaned with goo be gone or something similar.

Tide fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Aug 31, 2014

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001
no 87 here, I got an 01. I guess I could try simple green and a small wire brush. That alternator is just front and center and is a huge eyesore.
I am hesitant to use a power washer. the grime is pretty caked on, so an undiluted green would prolly get it off, but then I got to worry about paint.

uggg, no simple way around this I suppose.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Alternatively, go rent a steamer. Is that an option? There's varying opinions on it, though.

Anti steam cleaning:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xMLBC6KQKA

Also, Junkman is always a good view. Dude can be insane sometimes but I like him.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C78qyX9PuHA

Side note: Very rarely will you see them cleaning a really dirty engine bay

Tide fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Aug 31, 2014

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001
Here she is a few days later. Washed, claybared, quick detail wax, compounded, polished, waxed, and quick detail waxed again.
The engine bay is not as clean as I want but drat this car looks MINT for a 2001 with about +/- 23450 miles on it.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Is that mileage right? 2001 with under 24,000 miles? Or did you forget a zero?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

kalvick posted:

The engine bay is not as clean as I want but drat this car looks MINT for a 2001 with about +/- 23450 miles on it.

Jesus. My 2013 has more miles than that.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
And I thought my '01 with 81k on it was low. To be fair though, I got it in 05 with 40k on it...

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I bought a 95 SHO in 2006 with 35,000 miles. It was amazing.

Then everything broke.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001
No I actually have 23,450 miles on it. I broke into the 23000 mile club in May. I filled up with gas twice this year.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

kalvick posted:

Here she is a few days later. Washed, claybared, quick detail wax, compounded, polished, waxed, and quick detail waxed again.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it pointless to wax before compounding and polishing?

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001

opengl128 posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it pointless to wax before compounding and polishing?

I washed and claybared it on the 1st day. The detail wax was just to hold it over night so I could start compounding it the next day.
The wash took like 25 to 35 min to do, the claybar just kicked my rear end. It just took forever to do it was just picking up so much crap.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
poo poo, i fill up twice in one week.

bowling 4 buttcoins
Mar 13, 2011
Vortech Maxflow Race BOV diaphragm took a complete poo poo, waiting on a replacement from vortech that will take at least a week to get in.

Sigh.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

New mustang owner here.

My story is full of bad news and disappointment though. A couple of days ago, I was looking for a car under 100k miles for $6k or less. Up pops a 2002 mustang at 34k miles. I drive an hour to the dealership only to walk in and have someone literally sign for it as I walk in.

After searching again, I find another dealership. This time selling a 2001 Bullitt with 98k miles for 6 grand. I check it out, do research and end up getting it for 5500. Mainly because I need a car, and also because it was great compared to my other options.

However. It's not a Bullitt. After some help from AI, I have discovered it is not a Bullitt. It was modified to look like one, to include the Mach speaker system. But it is an Automatic, and cannot be.

I do want to do a bit of modifying. Not a whole lot, just to replace the gauges to a brighter and more modern look. I can barely see them at night. Second is a sound system, mainly replacing the head unit to one that I can control my iPod on (not having to look down at my iPod to change the music) and fix the faulty wiring and speakers. Problem is I have no idea what I am doing and will have to find someone to do it for me.

Any suggestions on that stuff and how much it would cost? Also what to look for in a shop that is decent? I'm in Ft Lewis, Wa if anyone has any first hand knowledge here

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Soulex posted:

New mustang owner here.

My story is full of bad news and disappointment though. A couple of days ago, I was looking for a car under 100k miles for $6k or less. Up pops a 2002 mustang at 34k miles. I drive an hour to the dealership only to walk in and have someone literally sign for it as I walk in.

After searching again, I find another dealership. This time selling a 2001 Bullitt with 98k miles for 6 grand. I check it out, do research and end up getting it for 5500. Mainly because I need a car, and also because it was great compared to my other options.

However. It's not a Bullitt. After some help from AI, I have discovered it is not a Bullitt. It was modified to look like one, to include the Mach speaker system. But it is an Automatic, and cannot be.

I do want to do a bit of modifying. Not a whole lot, just to replace the gauges to a brighter and more modern look. I can barely see them at night. Second is a sound system, mainly replacing the head unit to one that I can control my iPod on (not having to look down at my iPod to change the music) and fix the faulty wiring and speakers. Problem is I have no idea what I am doing and will have to find someone to do it for me.

Any suggestions on that stuff and how much it would cost? Also what to look for in a shop that is decent? I'm in Ft Lewis, Wa if anyone has any first hand knowledge here
Like I said in the other thread, go to http://www.americanmuscle.com/99-04-mustang-parts.html and have a ball.

Gauges are easy:
Black - http://www.americanmuscle.com/black-glow-gauge-9904gt.html
White - http://www.americanmuscle.com/99-04-gt-euro-reverse-gauges.html

Personally I chose the black ones. Heres what they look like at night:

Basically theyre just thing overlays that rest on top of your old ones, you have to install a seperate dimmer knob but just a small hole in your dashboard works. I forgot how exactly it wired up but it was pretty darn simple.

The radio is a Pioneer FH-X700BT if you're interested. Has good sound, blutooth, will control your ipod (also via blutooth).

The speakers Im not sure, a few other models besides the Bullitt had a Mach 460 or Mach 1000 sound system. I would just ask around on facebook for shop recommendations since yours doesn't even work now.

edit: From AI stupid question thread:

Soulex posted:

They were trying to sell it as one. Original asking price was 8999. Like I said, they put the speaker boxes in there.

The dealership was trying to be hella shady. Kept trying to get me to finance (no dude. I have good enough credit not to need your poo poo), power steering was below minimum, unwashed, and kept giving me the run around on some questions I had about it.

Either or, I'm fairly satisfied. It could be a lot worse. 6k isn't a lot to find a car and it was a self imposed limit because I am buying a house shortly and need another car for work. It roars, feels good and I really wish I could have taken it on the autobahn when I was still in Germany. It feels way too comfy at 70mph as it is.
I dont know what could possibly be done but that shouldn't fly at a dealership, if you researched Bullits before you bought it you would've figured it out easily enough but they shouldn't be calling it something it isn't.

Cage fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Sep 10, 2014

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I did research but not enough apparently. Enough to know some things but they couldn't answer any of the questions.

Is this something I should bring up with them?

I like both honestly. What I have is that stock lime green poo poo and it's too dim for me. Also ugly.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
IANAL, but if it's advertised as a Bullitt, paperwork says it's a Bullitt, but it's not a Bullitt, you may have the ammo to take it back that it's sold under false pretenses/advertising. Buyer beware and all that but you shouldn't have to be an expert to knowt that you're getting what you are intending to buy - especially from a dealership. How long ago did you buy it?

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Saturday actually. Not long ago.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Soulex posted:

Saturday actually. Not long ago.

Call them on it. If the paperwork says you're getting a Bullit, go fight them about it.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001
$5500 for a mustang is decent especially for one with mileage like you have. its kinda poo poo that they sold it to you as a bullitt but whatever. The dealer probably didn't know anyways.

the biggest things about the bullit, are 13" brakes with red calipers in the front, the suspension is about .75" lower than a stock GT, and a slightly different air intake that gives you about 5 extra hp over the stock GT. if you have those 3 things great! it had a different interior chair padding but any after market chair will be better.

late model restoration has a set of brakes that are $560, thats for everything!
maximum motorsports suspension kits are better than any thing you got in the car, swap em out, a starter kit is $1200. 4 springs, shocks,struts, caster/camber plates.

as for engine mods, under drive pullies, an air intake system, or exhaust upgrades will equal out the power you get over a completely stock bullitt. We are only talking 5hp.

Take pictures and post everything and we can tell you what is stock and not stock. you may actually have mods better than a bullitt.

show pics of the seats, engine, gas cap, around the automatic shifter, and instrument clusters, the springs/shocks/struts, fog lights area, front brakes.
take pics of anything else you think may be relevant.

the mach 460 is an option on all high level trims of the 2001 GT models.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I'll post pics when I get home.

Called my bank (who I got the loan, and found the car through) and was told there more than likely won't be any recourse. However, I should get a call back in 2 days about the complaint I leveraged against the company. Especially the safety concerns I had about it. Like the low power steering fluid, tangled seat belts. They just about flat out refused to give me power steering fluid, or comp it.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001

Soulex posted:

I'll post pics when I get home.

Called my bank (who I got the loan, and found the car through) and was told there more than likely won't be any recourse. However, I should get a call back in 2 days about the complaint I leveraged against the company. Especially the safety concerns I had about it. Like the low power steering fluid, tangled seat belts. They just about flat out refused to give me power steering fluid, or comp it.

the seat belts a notoriously bad at getting tangles and not going back into the seat belt winder in our model car. if it locks into place while you are operating the vehicle thats all you should care about.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Worst case scenario you paid full retail for a regular mustang.

Pretty cheap way to learn a lesson about trusting dealers.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001
Yay! words words words are boring, here are some more higher res pics of my stang! I think we should have more pics of other peoples cars!

bowling 4 buttcoins
Mar 13, 2011
Incoming Tial Q, elbow and JPC blockoff plate because gently caress Vortech.

For 8k miles and no rain things are looking pretty clean.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Ok. The pictures

Under the awesome speaker upgrade protective mesh

Soulex fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Sep 11, 2014

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Soulex posted:

Ok. The pictures

Use imgur.

Seriously clean car, man. First thing that should have tipped you off it was not a Bullitt is that they are all green. :v:

kalvick posted:

Yay! words words words are boring, here are some more higher res pics of my stang! I think we should have more pics of other peoples cars!

[Bunch of Mustang pictures]

Beautiful. Love the new edge body style. Put a blower on it.

(My advice to every Mustang owner is "put a blower on it").

Tide fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Sep 11, 2014

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
Actually bullits came in black, green, and a purplish blue close to that

Pretty sure they are supposed to have a buillit badge however...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
No kidding? Well I learned a thing today. I thought the highland green was the only color because of the movie