Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

I just watched The Tortured 2010. I'm a little confused in that it implied they had the wrong guy, but how did he know the name of the son?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

sector_corrector posted:

I'm doing a movie league with my friends which is based on pure domestic gross. We're doing a season that covers September through March. I think Mockingjay and The Hobbit are going to be the first two picks, with Interstellar at number 3. I have pick number 4.
Does hsx.com still have fantasy movie-betting?

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I watched Easy Rider the other night. What is the significance of the way some of the cuts are done between scenes where the image alternates between the last frame of the previous scene and the first frame of the next scene? And is there a name for this?

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Who and what were VHS rewinders for? Did early VCRs not have that function? Or did it just do it better than a VCR?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Unmature posted:

Who and what were VHS rewinders for? Did early VCRs not have that function? Or did it just do it better than a VCR?

Well you could rewind a tape while you watched something in your VCR (rewinding took a few minutes, like if you wanted to watch Back to the Future 2 RIGHT THEN instead of in 3 minutes) and uh.... I mean they rewound tapes. Kinda a limited application. Well I worked at a couple video stores and mostly used them because people weren't kind.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
That's a good point.

Yeah, I figured they'd mostly be used by retailers who'd need to rewind a bunch of tapes, but they were marketed to consumers. I guess it would save you like a few minutes once in a while.

Heteroy
Mar 13, 2004

:fork::fork::fork:
Yam Slacker
They could also be designed to look like a race car, which is awesome.

Even as a dumb kid they seemed like a ridiculous waste for people who had more money than they knew what to do with, like one of our family friends. This aforementioned friend also had a combo DVD/Laser Disc/Sega Genesis/Sega CD player and a vintage CocaCola vending machine.

Yes, they did have a purpose when I worked Blockbuster, at least until corporate had us liquidate all of our VHS stock with a hammer.

As an aside, when a few of our customers really wanted to be unkind, they would fart into one of the rental boxes just as they were closing it with the cassette being returned. When I went to check if the movie was rewound, the right tape was returned, etc. it would unleash their flatulence. It took several times before I caught on, but it was unmistakable. It was a real rear end in a top hat move by some of our customers, but what more can you expect from Miamians?

Heteroy fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Aug 26, 2014

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Unmature posted:

The rewinder we had rewound tapes really fast. I want to say somewhere in the range of 15-30 seconds for your typical movie rather than a minute or two using "fast rewind" on the VCR itself.

I don't know how many VCRs we went through but I remember that the first thing to fail on a few of them was the fast rewind function so we'd have to use the slow rewind and that would take a long time (10-15 minutes IIRC). So we bought one of those rather than buying another VCR.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Unmature posted:

They were a lot faster than using your vcr (I'm going off vague memories from maybe 20 years ago staying at a friends house, but I think it was about 3 minutes to rewind a 2 hour movie, as opposed to around 10 using the vcr), and they wouldn't wear out the motor in your vcr. Most people wouldn't have a real use for them, but if you were the kind of person who watched multiple VHS tapes a night (which I suspect a decent chunk of this forum would have been if they were born a decade or two earlier) it'd save you wear and tear on your vcr and make things simpler. I don't know if you're old enough to have owned video tapes, but it's really annoying if you do a Star Wars marathon, and then a month later you want to do it again and realize you forgot to rewind the tapes before putting the next one in.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Skwirl posted:

I don't know if you're old enough to have owned video tapes, but it's really annoying if you do a Star Wars marathon, and then a month later you want to do it again and realize you forgot to rewind the tapes before putting the next one in.

Yea, that could get bad. I remember occasionally having a "rewind day" where I'd go through all the VHS tapes and make sure everything was in order and rewound.

The thing I hated was tapes getting stuck in the VCR (or not staying in and continuously popping out) as it always seemed to happen when I was really wanting to watch something. They were clunkier and more prone to failing in a variety of ways.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Zogo posted:

The rewinder we had rewound tapes really fast. I want to say somewhere in the range of 15-30 seconds for your typical movie rather than a minute or two using "fast rewind" on the VCR itself.

Pffft, that's nothing. This baby will rewind your movies instantly.

It's also forwards compatible with new technology:

quote:

We have tested the DVD Rewinder with the next generation disc media including Blu-Ray®, and HD. The DVD Rewinder also works with Sony Playstation®, XBox®, and other disc based console system media.

It even has a USB port for MP3 players and USB media!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I'm torn between thinking they deserve a medal for this, or shooting them on general principle.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The wiki mention of it seems needlessly hostile to laserdiscs:

quote:

Simlarly, LaserDiscs cannot be "rewound" either since they are shaped similar to DVD but are bulkier and an older technology, but no LaserDisc rewinder parody item was ever released since LaserDiscs were never popular enough to warrant such a parody.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Zogo posted:

I don't know how many VCRs we went through but I remember that the first thing to fail on a few of them was the fast rewind function so we'd have to use the slow rewind and that would take a long time (10-15 minutes IIRC). So we bought one of those rather than buying another VCR.

Occasionally, though, they wouldn't stop when they were supposed to and snap the tape loose from the hub. VCRs had a sensor that could detect the clear leader tape and stop instantly.

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF
What? Are you guys telling me you never had sickass vhs rewinding parties with your dad Saturday nights back in the 90's?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Are there particular editions (DVD or Blu Ray) of The Raid and Spring Breakers that I should avoid? I feel like it can be kind of hit-or-miss when ordering movies online.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
From what I understand about the Raid, the only difference between versions is the soundtrack and some extremely minor gore reduction on the US version. For what it's worth, the version I've seen is I guess the US version with the soundtrack by the Linkin Park guy and I thought it worked pretty well. Reminded me of the Dredd soundtrack, oddly enough.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Speleothing posted:

Are there particular editions (DVD or Blu Ray) of The Raid and Spring Breakers that I should avoid? I feel like it can be kind of hit-or-miss when ordering movies online.

Unless you're in Germany, I don't think there are any alternate cuts of Spring Breakers to be worried about.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Speleothing posted:

All editions of Spring Breakers should be avoided.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Slugworth posted:

Ignore this man.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Slugworth posted:

I'll be avoiding you're posting!

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
At the list of looking like a complete idiot:

What does a Director of Photography do?

And while I'm at it, what does a Cinematographer do?

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

xcore posted:

I'm no authority on this stuff, but I'm pretty sure the director of photography and the cinematographer are different terms for the same person. This person is in charge of the filming techniques that give a film its look; lighting, film stock, framing, camera movements, etc.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Everblight posted:

Does hsx.com still have fantasy movie-betting?

Yep. I used their valuations to make my draft list.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

xcore posted:

The Director decides how he wants the movie to look (this scene should be 'cool', this scene should be a neat overhead thing)

The DP figures out how the gently caress to do that.

DP and Cinematographer are just two different names for the same thing.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Could anyone suggest (or just dump a list with summaries) any good, modern World war 1 movies? When i say modern, i am not picky about a year per-se, but older war movies from the 1930s-1970s have a dramatic style that i'm not going for. Awful dreck like "Flyboys" is all i can find, and i want to watch as many as i can for the 100th anniversary.

"Beneath Hill 30" is already on my list.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Whenever actors have to gain weight for a role they always seem to do it in the most pants-on-head stupid way possible, like Jared Leto gaining weight for Chapter 27 by drinking a slurry of melted ice cream, olive oil, and soy sauce. Is there a reason why they do this instead of just, you know, eating lots of delicious food?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Whenever actors have to gain weight for a role they always seem to do it in the most pants-on-head stupid way possible, like Jared Leto gaining weight for Chapter 27 by drinking a slurry of melted ice cream, olive oil, and soy sauce. Is there a reason why they do this instead of just, you know, eating lots of delicious food?

Because your stomach is only so big, so you can't waste space on anything that isn't going to be massively fatty or sugary. It's the same dilemma for building muscle - you are fighting against your appetite to be able to scarf down enough protein.

harpomarxist
Oct 7, 2007

Useless twat opinions from everybody's favorite British coffee shop revolutionary!

Lobok posted:

Because your stomach is only so big, so you can't waste space on anything that isn't going to be massively fatty or sugary. It's the same dilemma for gaining weight to build muscle - you are fighting against your appetite to be able to scarf down enough protein.

Also I guess slightly psychological? if you're in anyway wanting to lose that weight then gaining it in as traumatic a fashion (ie: a trough of evil poured into your gullet) might incentivise you.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Could anyone suggest (or just dump a list with summaries) any good, modern World war 1 movies? When i say modern, i am not picky about a year per-se, but older war movies from the 1930s-1970s have a dramatic style that i'm not going for. Awful dreck like "Flyboys" is all i can find, and i want to watch as many as i can for the 100th anniversary.

Regeneration (1997)

Canadian/British WW1 movie focusing on poets Siegfried Sassoon and esp. Wilfred Owen and their short stay at the soldiers' mental hospital (they were shell shocked and needed on the front lines).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8-x3Ls0zC4

Several of the poems are narrated in full

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Also, I enjoyed Joyeux Noel, somewhat newer (2005), about the Christmas Eve Truce.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Gallipoli is dope as gently caress.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Everblight posted:

The Director decides how he wants the movie to look (this scene should be 'cool', this scene should be a neat overhead thing)

The DP figures out how the gently caress to do that.

DP and Cinematographer are just two different names for the same thing.

The director and dp collaborate on how the movie should look, with the balance of how much creative control each member has varying between partnerships. Some directors, like David Fincher or Ridley Scott at the beginning of his career, pretty much dictate the look (and even lenses and formats) and let the dp handle execution. Some directors only deal with blocking and maybe communicating the emotional tone and let the dp take it from there. Most dp/director relationships lie somewhere in the middle.

Like the director's relationship with any other department head, whether is musical score or costumes, his influence will go as far as his skill and interest allow. The DP is ultimately the person responsible for making sure the film looks good from a photographic standpoint in any case though.

As far the titles go, Director of Photography is the officially credited term and Cinematographer is slang created by Variety ages ago. It caught on to the point where most dp societies and clubs use the term now though.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

MattD1zzl3 posted:

I haven't actually seen it, but War Horse was supposed to be good.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

MattD1zzl3 posted:

check out Our World War. It's a miniseries from this year. It's good. It's on youtube if you can't find it elsewhere.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

MattD1zzl3 posted:

There's a ton of great WWI movies made during the war up til the mid-30s that have really interesting takes on it, including comedies and dramas especially in the 30s you really see a huge blowback against the war with some very cynical dramas. They also usually cast tons of veterans. Heck, Howard Hughes' Hell's Angels killed three ace pilots doing stunts. 1933's Heroes for Sale is about a soldier whose life is ruined because of a morphine addiction he developed after being injured in battle and how that affects his life. And William Wellman's 1929 silent film Wings is a blast, too, with an amazing blu-ray to boot.

But, yeah, old movies are gross and boring. I'd suggest A Very Long Engagement, though be warned it has subtitles.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Robert De Niro did it the right way, he just went to Italy for a few months and stuffed his face with pasta.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

MattD1zzl3 posted:

I exec-produced a film called Testament Of Youth which shot in March, but it's not finished yet. It's based on a well-known (in the UK) memoir about an ambitious woman who gives up her place at Oxford to be a nurse near the front. (Maybe quite not what you are looking for but I could not resist a chance to plug it. :smug: )

Regeneration is a good shout.

Didn't they make an adaptation. Of All Quiet On The Western Front? Yes they did, in 1930. Apparently amazing.

therattle fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Aug 30, 2014

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

So in the Dark Knight Rises, was Bane cool with dying in the blast, or was the bomb supposed to only partially blow up the city and he would be outside the blast radius? I never understood just how big the blast was supposed to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Skwirl posted:

I haven't actually seen it, but War Horse was supposed to be good.

I haven't heard of that, but it sounds very similar to a movie called Wah Hoss that a ton of trailers.