Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Rad Tad posted:

and every year you ruin family easter

What the hell else am I going to do with hard-boiled eggs? It's not my fault they're the perfect size.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

LoonShia posted:

What the hell else am I going to do with hard-boiled eggs? It's not my fault they're the perfect size.

Life Hack: Don't stick things up your butt if they don't have a flared base.

Rad Tad
Jul 2, 2014

stop using that as a justification to buy flared jeans

Gruffalo Soldier
Feb 23, 2013

I think this counts; it may not be a lifehack per se but it certainly seems to fit 'really stupid'...

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Rad Tad posted:

stop using that as a justification to buy flared jeans

You're alright, Rad Tad.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Gruffalo Soldier posted:

I think this counts; it may not be a lifehack per se but it certainly seems to fit 'really stupid'...

Everybody knows that if you can't be handcuffed twice for the same crime. The officers have to let you go.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
What happens if they cuff your hands in front of you? Do you just buy a key for every belt loop?

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Kalos posted:

Everybody knows that if you can't be handcuffed twice for the same crime. The officers have to let you go.

I have the worst loving attorneys.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

Gruffalo Soldier posted:

Then shout "TA-DA!" with a big flourish and while all the cops are applauding, make your escape!

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

1stGear posted:

What happens if they cuff your hands in front of you? Do you just buy a key for every belt loop?

Don't be silly.

You swallow one, just in case this sort of thing happens.

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?

1stGear posted:

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Now I'm no expert on this but I'm pretty certain there is no such thing as an universal key for handcuffs.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Life Hack: This butane torch cleverly disguised as a belt buckle is perfect to quickly and stealthily escape any unlawful detainment!

Edit: Looks like it's going to have to be a miniature Acetylene torch instead - butane isn't hot enough. Drag around gas cylinders at all times because it's never too silly to be prepared...

Bhodi has a new favorite as of 19:03 on Aug 29, 2014

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

Lifehack: If you set yourself on fire, the police won't want to handcuff you.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I mean, you were just arrested for drunk driving but now you're a fugitive from justice! Way better!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Fine I'll be the one to do it. #Lifehack: Don't do stupid poo poo that's against the law and cops won't put you in handcuffs.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

CJacobs posted:

Fine I'll be the one to do it. #Lifehack: Don't do stupid poo poo that's against the law and cops won't put you in handcuffs.

This lifehack does not apply if you aren't white.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Well yeah, because then they'll just shoot you.

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?

TVarmy posted:

Lifehack: If you set yourself on fire, the police won't want to handcuff you.

False, they'd tack on extra charges for possession of illegal firearms.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
I get that lots of people get cuffed by power-tripping cops for completely bullshit reasons, but how would breaking out of the cuffs improve the situation? Wouldn't said power-tripping cop be just as likely to shoot you then?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Something tells me that thing isn't supposed to be purchased by people who under normal circumstances abide by the law.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The_White_Crane posted:

... Is that pre-cooked bacon?
Is that a thing in America?

This is from a few pages back but gently caress it.

Yes. Yes it is. When I worked in the produce department at Walmart we had a stand of bacon perpetually sitting beside the tomatoes. It was precooked bacon in a box ready to be opened and served. Usually nobody bought it and it expired.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Namarrgon posted:

Now I'm no expert on this but I'm pretty certain there is no such thing as an universal key for handcuffs.

10 seconds of googling would have told you otherwise.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

AlbieQuirky posted:

I get that lots of people get cuffed by power-tripping cops for completely bullshit reasons, but how would breaking out of the cuffs improve the situation? Wouldn't said power-tripping cop be just as likely to shoot you then?

If the cops (or kidnappers) gently caress off somewhere long enough for a clean escape and don't know exactly who you are yet, this might not be completely stupid.

Aggressive pricing
Feb 25, 2008

Namarrgon posted:

It's a safety thing.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

Aggressive pricing posted:

It's a safety thing.

Exactly. We've all forgotten the safeword a time or two. ;)

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:
The only time that someone who buys a hidden key like that will be both arrested and under relaxed supervision where escape might be possible, they'll be in some dumb protest situation covered in pepper spray and restrained with zip ties, not cuffs.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
Lifehack: You can pick zip-ties with a pin, so jam the blunt end of a pin into your hand so that you have a ready-made pick jutting out of your flesh!

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

She thinks I'm a haughty!

kazil posted:

This lifehack does not apply if you aren't white.

Lifehack: Be born white.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Blendy posted:

Lifehack: Be born white.

One Lifehack to rule them all

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Namarrgon posted:

I know you're probably not super serious asking this question, but its one of my degree fields soooooo:

Most companies that make handcuffs use a universal key, sometimes there will be two or three patterns but this is rare. Many if not all companies are extremely paranoid about people getting their hands on these keys although certain patterns are much harder to get than others. The type used by most US law enforcement is not difficult to get, although many areas have moved away from any kind of standard in order to purchase newer and more high tech cuffs. A lot of departments still use cuffs that can be "shimmed" where the detained person uses a concealed strip of metal to trick the cuffs into thinking they have been unlocked. If you are in Germany or Scandinavia you are probably hosed however, they use a very obscure type of cuff that is very difficult to break, even with standard picking techniques. Not much was known about them until very recently when a member of a European picking group pickpocketed one of the keys, made a quick impression of it in clay and then returned it (later they 3D printed a key which was tested to work on the actual cuffs).

But yeah, if you are preparing to be handcuffed, with some very minor research you can easily find out what kind of cuffs they will use and if/how you can get the tools to break them.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

El Estrago Bonito posted:

I know you're probably not super serious asking this question, but its one of my degree fields soooooo:

Most companies that make handcuffs use a universal key, sometimes there will be two or three patterns but this is rare. Many if not all companies are extremely paranoid about people getting their hands on these keys although certain patterns are much harder to get than others. The type used by most US law enforcement is not difficult to get, although many areas have moved away from any kind of standard in order to purchase newer and more high tech cuffs. A lot of departments still use cuffs that can be "shimmed" where the detained person uses a concealed strip of metal to trick the cuffs into thinking they have been unlocked. If you are in Germany or Scandinavia you are probably hosed however, they use a very obscure type of cuff that is very difficult to break, even with standard picking techniques. Not much was known about them until very recently when a member of a European picking group pickpocketed one of the keys, made a quick impression of it in clay and then returned it (later they 3D printed a key which was tested to work on the actual cuffs).

But yeah, if you are preparing to be handcuffed, with some very minor research you can easily find out what kind of cuffs they will use and if/how you can get the tools to break them.

This is extremely cool to know. What's your degree in? Spy novels?

Rad Tad
Jul 2, 2014

But rad tad, every morning i wake up and don't have to worry that my boots have become sentient.

Don't worry boo, ya boy got you covered.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

Rad Tad posted:

But rad tad, every morning i wake up and don't have to worry that my boots have become sentient.

That lifehack doesn't look too stupid, but those boots sure do.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

This is extremely cool to know. What's your degree in? Spy novels?

Security. Basically we have reached a point where physical security is starting to be really important in respect to computer security because many networks are so well protected that its much easier to figure out how to get into a building and plug a thumbdrive into a computer than it is to actually break into a network. It can be hard to explain to people who are running some big computer operation that handles lots of sensitive data that they really need to buy better locks and to train their security guards to not just let in guys in Comcast uniforms at 3AM (this works all the time).

This isn't a great quality video, but this is some guys from Toool (a lockpicking group) talking at Defcon about the specific cuffs I mentioned earlier and also about the history of picking handcuffs. Most people think of Defcon as being very computer focused but their physical security stuff is also very extensive and interesting.

http://youtu.be/9nHJ7F4gVFY

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Rad Tad posted:

I'm glad fleshlight has started catering to the various fetish audiences out there.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Security. Basically we have reached a point where physical security is starting to be really important in respect to computer security because many networks are so well protected that its much easier to figure out how to get into a building and plug a thumbdrive into a computer than it is to actually break into a network. It can be hard to explain to people who are running some big computer operation that handles lots of sensitive data that they really need to buy better locks and to train their security guards to not just let in guys in Comcast uniforms at 3AM (this works all the time).

This isn't a great quality video, but this is some guys from Toool (a lockpicking group) talking at Defcon about the specific cuffs I mentioned earlier and also about the history of picking handcuffs. Most people think of Defcon as being very computer focused but their physical security stuff is also very extensive and interesting.

http://youtu.be/9nHJ7F4gVFY

So how effective is it to drop a thumb drive in a company car park with a file on it called "October_2014_Redundancies.PDF" that is actually a trojan?

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Memento posted:

So how effective is it to drop a thumb drive in a company car park with a file on it called "October_2014_Redundancies.PDF" that is actually a trojan?

That works, so does sending a free wireless mouse and keyboard to someone. Except, you know the wireless nub is really a usb stick.

Slowflake
Aug 18, 2010

Or finding a company directory, calling literally any number you can, hoping to reach someone stupid enough about computers and saying that "We're XXX tech support, you have a virus and could you please dl MEGA_Trojan.exe so we can help you?"

Lifehack: A Nigerian call center number you've never seen before likely doesn't have the best intentions in mind.

Footwear just isn't comfortable unless it looks like an amputated limb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

CJacobs posted:

I'm glad fleshlight has started catering to the various fetish audiences out there.

See, I just assumed that this guy killed some people, dismembered the bodies, removed the bones and then threw away everything but the feet. If it's just a tube for foot fetishists to cum in then color me relieved.