Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

RoadCrewWorker posted:

You unlocked the only toilet in drangleic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAKQzZfpaz8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Souls are a hell of a drug mang :2bong:

Hawgh
Feb 27, 2013

Size does matter, after all.
So do the sanctum soldier gauntlets only drop from the guys in the petrification hole, or did the game just decide to taunt me by dropping three gauntlets in a row down there after I farmed the rest of the DLC to extinction?

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
You know, finding Benhart in the poison shithole, I can understand. He's just looking for stuff to hit.

But the gently caress is Carhil doing in the slagheap?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

SHISHKABOB posted:

Ok so I "finished" the game and saw the ending, can someone tell me why I did all the things I did.
You didn't miss any anything. The game's plot never gives you any motivation. It just tells you to go kill some people and leaves it at that.
Personally I was really expecting some sort of revelation about the while "You're going to do this, without knowing why"-thing and ended up being kinda surprised when that never happened.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Is there no Rusted Iron Ring in this game?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Is there no Rusted Iron Ring in this game?

nope

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Wait, I think I just noticed a pattern.

Sunken had a bunch of status stuff and protection rings.

Iron has a bunch of kickass weapons.

Think the next one is gonna be the spell heavy area?

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

SHISHKABOB posted:

Ok so I "finished" the game and saw the ending, can someone tell me why I did all the things I did.

Vendrick was a chosen undead that defeated the 4 great ones and then built a kingdom using their souls. Things are going great until Vendrick starts showing signs of the undead curse and with the help of his brother Aldia he starts trying to figure out how to reverse it. The queen shows up and is like hey those giants on the other side of the sea might have something, so he crosses the sea and steals something significant from them. So significant that the giants crossed back over to Drangelic to try and get it back. Vendrick uses this something to keep the curse at bay and it works for a time, but everything's eventual and he succumbs to the curse, but not before making it to the Undead Crypt where he is guarded steadfastly by the loyal Velstadt and Raime. Raime is like dude this queen is behind all this, but Velstadt is like get lost bro. So they duke it out and Velstadt wins and returns to the Crypt to keep watch over the king. Raime hears tell of a darkness shrouding the Iron Keep so he goes off to try and remove it. But this Dark Woman of Ash is like hey guard me instead so he does and it all goes dark and stuff. Anyway the giants cross the sea and royally gently caress Drangelic up, but the player character (you) goes back in time, defeats the Giant Lord and drives them back. Too much damage was done though. In your search for Vendrick you run into the queen and she is like hey I'm impressed. Go defeat Vendrick, there can be only one king. Whether you do that or not is up to you. Oh and then you go fight the queen at the Throne of Want because she wants all the souls you've been harvesting. And while you have a choice to either continue the cycle or not, you're only given one path because the choice doesn't matter. The cycle will continue.

I read the item descriptions and listened to the NPC's dialogue.

Edit: I forgot the part about The Rotten being the Old Sunken King.

Stokes fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Aug 30, 2014

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

That is cool, but I just noticed that the Alonne Knights in the Memory of the Old Iron King are using the retextured Katanas you get in the Majula mansion.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
This second DLC seemed pretty slow and easy-going enough for me until I came across the goddamn gang of red invaders right before the memory of the old iron king, and now the next area has me getting chopped to pieces whenever I have two enemies on me at once. Holy poo poo I haven't gotten that angry in a long drat time. Why do I suck so much trying to land parries even with a target shield? I've been trying to use it ever since I started this new character and I STILL never quite know the correct time to try it, and I get punished way too hard. :(

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
To be fair, Alonne Knights can be kind of hard to parry with their really fast attack.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I defeated the Prowlers on my first attempt without even really knowing what was up :smug:

Then again, I'm on NG+ with like 8 million SM, I'm so hideously overlevelled I got through it by saying "yeah I'll just tank a hit or an arrow here and there because once my Red Iron Lawnmower has had time to start up then this guy's rear end is grass". Kill one at a time, fall back and Estus as required.

Still trying to figure out a deadrun path through OIK Memory but I kept getting invaded by funcops in the process and decided to call it a night. Got summed to the Iron Passage a couple of times and I can now deadrun that pretty reliably too. gently caress actually fighting Blue Smelter though, that guy has like Vendrick-tier health.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Man, I'm bad at fighting Alonne without healing. I had him within 2-3 hits and completely blew it. :sigh:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Manatee Cannon posted:

Man, I'm bad at fighting Alonne without healing. I had him within 2-3 hits and completely blew it. :sigh:

This is me on all boss fights. I lose my poo poo when there's one hit left, or get flattened right at the beginning. There is no middleground.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
So after co-oping a bunch using Vestalt's hammer, I'm convinced Fk's auto-powerup is an act of desperation because it melts the fucker.

Also, something you may not have known. Steelheart Ellie does the Fist Pump gesture in victory. Today was the first time I've ever seen her survive a fight.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I just helped some guy named Hulk defeat the Pursuer. He had a loincloth, short black hair, only his fists and was green.

Stokes posted:

Vendrick was a chosen undead that defeated the 4 great ones and then built a kingdom using their souls. Things are going great until Vendrick starts showing signs of the undead curse and with the help of his brother Aldia he starts trying to figure out how to reverse it. The queen shows up and is like hey those giants on the other side of the sea might have something, so he crosses the sea and steals something significant from them. So significant that the giants crossed back over to Drangelic to try and get it back. Vendrick uses this something to keep the curse at bay and it works for a time, but everything's eventual and he succumbs to the curse, but not before making it to the Undead Crypt where he is guarded steadfastly by the loyal Velstadt and Raime. Raime is like dude this queen is behind all this, but Velstadt is like get lost bro. So they duke it out and Velstadt wins and returns to the Crypt to keep watch over the king. Raime hears tell of a darkness shrouding the Iron Keep so he goes off to try and remove it. But this Dark Woman of Ash is like hey guard me instead so he does and it all goes dark and stuff. Anyway the giants cross the sea and royally gently caress Drangelic up, but the player character (you) goes back in time, defeats the Giant Lord and drives them back. Too much damage was done though. In your search for Vendrick you run into the queen and she is like hey I'm impressed. Go defeat Vendrick, there can be only one king. Whether you do that or not is up to you. Oh and then you go fight the queen at the Throne of Want because she wants all the souls you've been harvesting. And while you have a choice to either continue the cycle or not, you're only given one path because the choice doesn't matter. The cycle will continue.

I read the item descriptions and listened to the NPC's dialogue.

Edit: I forgot the part about The Rotten being the Old Sunken King.

I know that's where the lore of dark souls comes from, and I like reading the stuff and listening too. I didn't get some of those things though, like that the guy Aldia was Vendrick's brother. Also I don't really get what the deal is with the ancient dragon.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

SHISHKABOB posted:

I just helped some guy named Hulk defeat the Pursuer. He had a loincloth, short black hair, only his fists and was green.

I know that's where the lore of dark souls comes from, and I like reading the stuff and listening too. I didn't get some of those things though, like that the guy Aldia was Vendrick's brother. Also I don't really get what the deal is with the ancient dragon.

The AD is likely one of Aldia's experiments with trying to break the curse. The dragons are the one thing that never came back, so they appear to be removed from the cycle that keeps making everybody into zombies.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
From what I can tell, Vendrick and Aldia had two different viewpoints on curing the Undead curse. Vendrick was something with the Giants, while Aldia said "Yo, these dragons used to be IMMORTAL until some dickweed betrayed them." I assume Aldia was trying to recreate the dragons which explains stuff like the giant skeleton dragon in his keep.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
You need to talk to Shalquoir a fair bit as well. She muses that something's 'acting the part' of the Ancient Dragon, but doesn't elaborate.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Nashandra also called A.D. a fake if you go talk to her after seeing him (but before getting the Kinship).

Aldia and Vendrick both were looking into giants and dragons as a means of freeing themselves from the curse (Aldia used a Giant Soul in the creation of A.D., and probably the other dragons since they're also fake).

They were looked into because dragons, existing before life (life here meaning life brought into existance by the first flame, and thus subject to the curse) are free from the curse. Giants are also quite similar to dragons in that they are mineral-based life, and the Seed of a Tree of Giants suggests they might be outside of the cycle as well.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Isn't the argument that he's not actually a dragon since he has four legs and wings? I heard someone say he's like a dragon golem.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

Thumbtacks posted:

Isn't the argument that he's not actually a dragon since he has four legs and wings? I heard someone say he's like a dragon golem.

That's what classifies western dragons as such I'm pretty sure. The rest of the dragons are just wyverns and poo poo, armless.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Thumbtacks posted:

Kinda. Slumbering (like Sinh) and lingering (like Kalameet) dragons match that design. But everlasting dragons, the ones actually outside of the cycle, do not; they have actual arms and a more humanoid design.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

Giants are also quite similar to dragons in that they are mineral-based life, and the Seed of a Tree of Giants suggests they might be outside of the cycle as well.

There's also a difference between the 'giants' like Gwyn, Ornstein and Artorias, the giants like Gough, the Giant Blacksmith, and those dudes at Sen's, and the giants like the Giant Lord.

quote:

Slumbering (like Sinh) and lingering (like Kalameet) dragons match that design.

I never caught on to that. That's cool. Doesn't the Gaping Dragon have four legs too?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Except the only true dragons, Kalameet and Sihn, do have four legs and wings. Seath had four legs before he became a calamari dragon. Presumably the Everlasting Dragon has four legs, you can't really see it. And the dragons in the opening cinematic to Dark Souls definitely do. Western dragons typically have four legs, wings, and breathe fire. Wyverns, drakes, that kind of poo poo have two legs.

edit: the stone dragon in Freja's lair has four legs as well.

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Aug 30, 2014

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Gaping was also an everlasting, but changed his shape and sacrificed his power for his gluttony.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

I never caught on to that. That's cool. Doesn't the Gaping Dragon have four legs too?

Yes. IIRC Miyazaki said in an interview that he's a very distant descendent of the everlasting dragons.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
Pretty sure Gaping's got six legs (or 4 legs, 2 arms, whatevs) + wings but yeah, he's all mutated so.

The everlasting/stone dragons do have some weird non-traditional stuff. They have two sets of wings (4 total), double mouths, broad humanoid chests and kind of a fur on them. Seathe has always been a hosed up tentacle dragon, you can see that in the opening cutscene. Worth noting that he's got two sets of dragonfly wings and the humanoid chest so that matches at least. They're also really big.

Kalameet and Sihn are smaller, have one set of wings, and have a more reptilian shape to them.

Ancient Dragon doesn't really match either of those, plus he drops a giant soul when killed, so the idea is that he isn't a 'true' dragon by Dark Souls' standard. He's an imitation or something.

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Aug 30, 2014

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Ancient Dragon isn't a dragon. You get the dragon soul from the dragon memory, though that is basically the same model.

The reason the Ancient Dragon isn't a dragon has nothing to do with what it looks like.

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Aug 30, 2014

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Ancient Dragon is most likely a fake dragon created by Aldia, some even say it's Aldia himself changed into the Dragon.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Its a bio fursuit

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Finally got a chance to play this two days later than everybody else, finished up today after some of the most grueling gaming I've ever personally experienced. I sort of wish I'd been recording myself; the noises I made after I solo-killed Fume Knight and Smelter 2: Blue Boogaloo were really interesting, but I've already mostly forgotten them.
Then I found Alonne and by then I was sick and tired and one of my ears hurt so I just swarmed him in NPC summons and beat him to death while he was distracted. A dishonorable weeaboo.

Anyone got any thoughts on Dance of Fire? I tried to use it like three times and it never seemed to do much, so I sort of ditched it. Fire Snake is ridiculously cool, mind you, and I second whoever it was earlier saying that in PvP people seem to get confused by it, at least at the moment. I fought an invader with that and the Fume UGS's funky block-smack attack and between both of them the poor bastard never knew which end was up.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Also jeez those weird thingies in the bastile freak me out, they're modeled after the giants somewhat I think? They're like the big cages that look like those russian figurines that you put inside of each other.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

SHISHKABOB posted:

Also jeez those weird thingies in the bastile freak me out, they're modeled after the giants somewhat I think? They're like the big cages that look like those russian figurines that you put inside of each other.

They look like human effigies.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Genocyber posted:

They look like human effigies.

welp

also I read in an item description that the "dragons" are called "drakes" and are descended from the ancient dragons or something

idk if that is in conflict with what people said earlier about how the Aldia guy recreated the dragons? Though I guess "descended" can have many interpretations.

Previous Jesus
Jun 5, 2013

SHISHKABOB posted:

welp

also I read in an item description that the "dragons" are called "drakes" and are descended from the ancient dragons or something

idk if that is in conflict with what people said earlier about how the Aldia guy recreated the dragons? Though I guess "descended" can have many interpretations.

Aldia almost certainly created the Ancient Dragon. The other "dragons" you fight in the Dragon Aerie are actually drakes like the Hellkite Drake and they may or may not have been created by Aldia. I think they weren't, though.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

SHISHKABOB posted:

welp

True Dragons are the Everlasting Dragons from DS1. They're the weird ones with the buff torso and tentacle legs like Seath and the one in Ash Lake. Their stone scales provide them with true immortality, but not invincibility as we learn in the intro. There are several strains of dragons left; Kalameet and Sinh are the purest type but not 'real' dragons, Gaping is similar but mutated, while all other dragons are actually Drakes or similar. The Ancient Dragon is modeled after the purest strain but was made by Aldia's experiments.

Giants are similar in that there are several different types. There are giant humans, which are simply humans with very large souls ala Gwyn, Ornstein, Vendrick, and Velstadt (although the latter two may have had special experimentation performed on them), and then there are Giants, the seperate species. The armor-plated ones in DS1 and the hole-faced ones in DS2 are "Giants" and seem to be directly related, although the DS2 Giants have evolved since then.

e: VVV You think that's crazy? The petrifying guys outside Aldia's Keep drop Black Knight weaponry, Crescent Axes and Shotels, and hex scrolls.

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Aug 30, 2014

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The only thing that raises my eyebrow everytime besides Iron Keep being above Earthen Peak is...

The spiders in cove give Mastadon Greatswords.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Tae posted:

The only thing that raises my eyebrow everytime besides Iron Keep being above Earthen Peak is...

The spiders in cove give Mastadon Greatswords.

They also drop Zweihanders.
How does that even work??