Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Spiders are made of greatswords and rapiers and daggers and scythes and axes, what's not to get?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

You know how the old song goes, "made of sugar and scythes, and also of knives" and all that.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Some spiders barf lava. Some spiders barf lasers. Other spiders turn into an assortment of weapons.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Spiders are treasure hoarders. I mean, the biggest one guards one of the most important treasures of all!!!!!!!!!!

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

But seriously I think Vendrick sent his men to deal with the spider problem but they got eaten or lost at the Doors of Pharos. So you find weapons they had among the spiders.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
How many Richards did Vendrick send to the Cove, then?

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Not enough, obviously.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Fereydun posted:

They also drop Zweihanders.
How does that even work??

You guys don't want to know how the got those weapons in those bodies. It'll burn your corneas out and give you nightmares.

Doctor Zaius
Jul 30, 2010

I say.
Huh, the worn out side of the majula monument now gives you text that points you to whatever the current DLC is.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

SHISHKABOB posted:

Ok so I "finished" the game and saw the ending, can someone tell me why I did all the things I did.

the emerald herald told you to

Doctor Zaius
Jul 30, 2010

I say.

This game can be really pretty sometimes.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Finally seem to have gotten the hang of the IK bosses, and the last character I ran through there beat all 3 on the first try, even the Blue Butthole. Not really even sure what specifically I did to improve, but suddenly my dodges work a lot more often. I do think that all three are the sort of boss where your eyes are focusing on the stamina bar more than your exact position.

It was interesting to note that the Murakumo seems horrible against Fume Knight. There was too much delay on the R2 swings, and the R1s whiffed a surprising amount of the time.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Doctor Zaius posted:

This game can be really pretty sometimes.

Sometimes? Nah bro try all the time YEAH

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Are there any good items in the Iron Passage past the timed gates? I got through the first one and got the simpleton's spice at the second gate. Is it even worth going for the second gate?

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

WarpedLichen posted:

Are there any good items in the Iron Passage past the timed gates? I got through the first one and got the simpleton's spice at the second gate. Is it even worth going for the second gate?

theyre just there so you can skip all the enemies. the only item you will find is a torch.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

WarpedLichen posted:

The only good item is after the boss. Everything else is a consumable.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Cyberventurer posted:

This second DLC seemed pretty slow and easy-going enough for me until I came across the goddamn gang of red invaders right before the memory of the old iron king, and now the next area has me getting chopped to pieces whenever I have two enemies on me at once. Holy poo poo I haven't gotten that angry in a long drat time. Why do I suck so much trying to land parries even with a target shield? I've been trying to use it ever since I started this new character and I STILL never quite know the correct time to try it, and I get punished way too hard. :(

I had Toxic Mist so I just popped it, rode the elevator down. When I came back up they were all waiting and I popped it again and rode the elevator back down. Came back up and had one more left.

I got a Berserker Sword out of it.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

I had Toxic Mist so I just popped it, rode the elevator down. When I came back up they were all waiting and I popped it again and rode the elevator back down. Came back up and had one more left.

I got a Berserker Sword out of it.

I didn't use Toxic Mist but I did use the elevator. When they all came after me I ran to the elevator, and when I came back up they had started walking back to their spawn positions. This let me take them on one at a time. It was pretty easy to smash them one by one with the Majestic Greatsword.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I pretty much just ran past the mob because I was tired at that point and basically used Alonne's room and took them out one at a time by circling around a bunch.

Then again, I was also using anti-bullshit setup which was heavy shield+spear poke.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
http://a.pomf.se/tyttym.CT

magical girl table, lets you equip full sets of predetermined armor after casting a flashy spell

like this:

http://webmup.com/1OYw2/vid.webm

Thumbtacks fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Aug 30, 2014

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
Is it just me or does FK doesn't give a gently caress about the red eye ring? I was doing some Sunbroing and no matter what he seems to beeline for the host most of the time. And the host is an idiot so he retreats towards the healing idol.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Maldron is probably one of the best examples of 'fake' difficulty. Hyper poise, unlimited stamina and the ability to heal as a phantom is just a stupid way of enhancing the challenge. Stripping away limitations a player has while giving them mechanical advantages a player can't actually get is silly.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

poptart_fairy posted:

Maldron is probably one of the best examples of 'fake' difficulty. Hyper poise, unlimited stamina and the ability to heal as a phantom is just a stupid way of enhancing the challenge. Stripping away limitations a player has while giving them mechanical advantages a player can't actually get is silly.

I didn't have much trouble with him, but that's probably because Yorg's spear is just that good.

And when he ran off I just dropped down to one of the middle platform and poisoned him. They didn't give him a ranged attack. :v:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, didn't say he was difficult, just find that his 'challenge' is built on artificial stuff rather than a genuinely well thought out encounter you know? His AI's great, the other stuff...less so.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

poptart_fairy posted:

I didn't want to follow him down that shithole so I went back and forth a few times to see if I could end him before he ran and finally I said gently caress it and when he ran I loving sprinted down onto the gear in the middle and jumped off it, landing a :krad: drop attack on him, and it was the best moment of this DLC for me.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Every phantom has infinite stamina, not sure what you mean by hyper poise because you can definitely guard break him and stun him on an attack. I've been through the DLC twice, and the first time I just killed him before he could run away and the second I ran past him and took care of the altar first. Though if you have the Hollow Skin mask on you are completely immune to the curse build up.

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,
Speaking of infinite stamina; how do you beat Vanquisher's Seal PVPers? They do good damage with absolutely brutal stunlocking - it feels impossible to trade hits, and just rolling around feels like it plays into their game since they'll end up with a greater stamina advantage.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
I've only fought a few but what sometimes works for me is rolling away, enticing them to chase, then spin around and throw out a target shield parry as they close in. I suppose you're hosed if the parry misses, but since both of their punches come out at different times, you have a better shot at parrying at least one of them.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Thumbtacks posted:

magical girl table, lets you equip full sets of predetermined armor after casting a flashy spell

like this:

That is amazing. :allears:

poptart_fairy posted:

Imo he's an example of an actually difficult invader NPC. Most black phantom NPCs are really easy, because even though they have more HP and damage than you, they're AI is really bad and exploitable. This is not so true for Maldron since his near infinite poise (this is also odd since I did manage to stunlock him with bare fists once) means you can't stunlock him, and turning on a dime helps him make up for whiffs.

Scrree posted:

Speaking of infinite stamina; how do you beat Vanquisher's Seal PVPers? They do good damage with absolutely brutal stunlocking - it feels impossible to trade hits, and just rolling around feels like it plays into their game since they'll end up with a greater stamina advantage.

Well that depends. Most fist users I see just spam the l1 one-two punch. In that case, either outrange them, or parry them since they are predictable. If they're good and using the roll cancel punch (l1 then immediately roll) they're a lot trickier to deal with, and that's more of a play-it-by-ear sort of thing.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Eh, guess I'm just bitter my duellist has stomped everything at SL 60 but Moldren was a massive pain in the rear end. And gently caress you guys, it's the english spelling. :v:

Anyway, is there something I'm missing with the simpleton's ring? I've been invaded by people who just suddenly appear with the puff of smoke the ring gives, but they weren't using camouflage and I sure as hell don't think someone could roll towards me that quickly without me seeing them appear between each one.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
If you let Maldron live for a really long time by constantly letting him escape and use his estus, he will eventually cast a version of Camouflage with infinite duration that he can't be hit out of or get out of himself. So basically if you wanna fight one of those ash corpses or a living bookshelf, let him do it.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Maldorn definitely doesn't have infinite stamina, I've knocked his shield away by hitting it a bunch and riposted him before.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Finally finished the DLC and I still maintain that Smelter Demon 2.0 is the worst boss :colbert: It got a bit easier when I realized I was rolling the wrong way, instead of rolling into the direction of his sweeping attacks I was rolling the other way so the flaming tail always caught me at the end of my roll, but I still think the timings on your rolls have to be quite precise otherwise you're doing the boss run again.

And after just running through Iron Passage the area became a non-issue, it's still terrible but at least it doesn't impede my progress.

FK was an awesome fight, took me about 20 tries to get his attack patterns down so I killed him a second time for good measure (and for the second sword, of course). Does the UGS have a special attack or buff? I don't have enough stats to powerstance it.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

lordfrikk posted:

Finally finished the DLC and I still maintain that Smelter Demon 2.0 is the worst boss :colbert: It got a bit easier when I realized I was rolling the wrong way, instead of rolling into the direction of his sweeping attacks I roll the other way so the flaming tail always caught me at the end of my roll, but I still think the timings on your rolls has to be quite precise otherwise you're doing the boss run again.

And after just running through Iron Passage the area became a non-issue, it's still terrible but at least it doesn't impede my progress.

FK was an awesome fight, took me about 20 tries to get his attack patterns down so I killed him a second time for good measure (and for the second sword, of course). Does the UGS have a special attack or buff? I don't have enough stats to powerstance it.

Nah, it can't be powerstanced with the other sword, not does it have a natural buff. Instead it's heavy attack has ridiculous hyper armor.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Uploaded part 3 of my NG+3 playthrough. I do actually get to a boss in the next one...I had this issue with the first DLC too. I faff around forever before I actually run into a boss. Also my Quicksword Rachel killing method is copyrighted, no stealing. :colbert:

Thumbtacks posted:

like this:

There is also this table, which lets you swap out what armor the dragon torso stone gives you:

http://a.pomf.se/cjocfv.CT (uses item hex IDs)

Make sure you hide armor you're going to swap in your item box or else it deletes it when you die/unequip I think.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

What's the SM that most people are PVP-ing / Co-oping at? I'm around 14M on my main dude and I don't see any summon signs anywhere (even in the new DLC) and it's far and few between that I get a hit with a cracked red eye. Even the OIK bridge is just empty right now.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

If Maldron's AI is so great, why did he run off the edge of the spiral and kill himself? :smug:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

homeless poster posted:

What's the SM that most people are PVP-ing / Co-oping at? I'm around 14M on my main dude and I don't see any summon signs anywhere (even in the new DLC) and it's far and few between that I get a hit with a cracked red eye. Even the OIK bridge is just empty right now.

Are you in ng or ng+. In ng+ you should have no trouble seeing people's signs even at the higher SM tiers.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

kazil posted:

If Maldron's AI is so great, why did he run off the edge of the spiral and kill himself? :smug:

It replicates human behaviour really well, then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

kazil posted:

I didn't see anything special about Maldron, I was really disappointed actually. Just some stabby dude who kept running away to lure you into the cursed tower, otherwise it was a normal dumbass AI phantom.

Jester Thomas, however..