Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
can someone please explain to me just what the gently caress is going on with this security update

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

anthonypants posted:

can someone please explain to me just what the gently caress is going on with this security update

After you install this update, the z-order of the windows is changed. (The z-order calls the SetWindowPos function

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

anthonypants posted:

you appear to be using an outdated version of this bug

please install this new bug instead

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
so they released a bug fix with more bugs

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Blackula69 posted:

sounds like a linux tbh

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Blackula69 posted:

we like to call it a hotbug w/Bing(TM)

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

anthonypants posted:

is that the patch that randomly bricks machines after the second reboot?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

we like to call it a hotbug w/Bing(TM)

hotbing up my rear end

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

buttcrackmenace posted:

I think this is a fix for that

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Blue Train posted:

I think this is a fix for that

yes........ you buy a mac...

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

buttcrackmenace posted:

there's a bug where fonts installed outside of the font directory can be used as a mans to do poo poo when they're loaded, so now those fils are locked and cannot be modified when in use. this somehow fucks with the window stacking.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

duTrieux. posted:

there's a bug where fonts installed outside of the font directory can be used as a mans to do poo poo when they're loaded, so now those fils are locked and cannot be modified when in use. this somehow fucks with the window stacking.

turns out windows dynamically stores window z-ordering in those font files, it's an old hack from the MS-DOS days that they need to maintain for backwards compatibility with lotus 1-2-3

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

turns out windows dynamically stores window z-ordering in those font files, it's an old hack from the MS-DOS days that they need to maintain for backwards compatibility with lotus 1-2-3

it is literally impossible to determine, based on your post alone, whether this is a realfact™ or bullshit.

gj microsoft

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

duTrieux. posted:

it is literally impossible to determine, based on your post alone, whether this is a realfact™ or bullshit.

gj microsoft

:11tea:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

duTrieux. posted:

kernel mode font drivers

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
they called the first NT, NT 3.1.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Beeftweeter posted:

they called the first NT, NT 3.1.

IBM Integration Bus posted:

This documentation provides information for IBM® Integration Bus Healthcare Pack version 3.0.

The information contained in this documentation supports version 3.0.0.1. Previous versions of this product are IBM WebSphere® Message Broker Connectivity Pack for Healthcare version 7.0. and IBM WebSphere Message Broker Connectivity Pack for Healthcare version 8.0.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
apparently if you made a game in .net and xna, you can get it working on ps4 but not xbone.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
microsoft wants to buy cyanogenmod, the riced up android distro for horrible nerds.

http://www.androidheadlines.com/2014/08/rumor-microsoft-amazon-yahoo-others-reportedly-interested-cyanogenmod.html

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

the worst adverts.

"its not poo poo guys honest!!!! please buy one"

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
honestly, we were too inept to find a stock photo that would make these words easily readable

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

they actually got a guy to pose, there's tv adverts with him in saying dumb things like 'it runs windows so it works with all my stuff'

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Metrication posted:

there's tv adverts with him in saying dumb things like 'it runs windows so it works with all my stuff'

wait, what? I'm pretty sure the U.K. consumer advocacy groups could get the ad pulled and fines levied, they did it all the time with Apple's bullshit TV ads from the PowerPC days.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

univbee posted:

wait, what? I'm pretty sure the U.K. consumer advocacy groups could get the ad pulled and fines levied, they did it all the time with Apple's bullshit TV ads from the PowerPC days.

i'm pretty sure he says that but i can't find one online so here is an even more insufferable one for you to enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cx-33UZtXqs

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

here it is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRMo1ZvZlDI

'it's windows so it works with all my stuff here'

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

first comment

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
those are both really, really bad

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

uncurable mlady posted:

those are both really, really bad

how much worse does it make it now that they are living artifacts of thousands of unemployed nokians

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

ahmeni posted:

how much worse does it make it now that they are living artifacts of thousands of unemployed nokians

ehn

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

any advert that is created for the purpose of saying "please take another look at the platform you wrote off" is pretty hampered from the start

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

not that microsoft would know anything about that

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsStHxtVr_w

ie9:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DbgiOCTQts

ie10:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lD9FAOPBiDk

ie11:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5P0C6ygJ-VA

Pinterest Mom fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Aug 30, 2014

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
i hate those mojave ads because the main reasons non-technical people women and children hated vista were:

lovely driver support
underspecced pcs being sold with vista installed

which obviously means if you gave users a decent pc with good drivers of loving course they were going to like it

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Cold on a Cob posted:

i hate those mojave ads because the main reasons non-technical people women and children hated vista were:

lovely driver support
underspecced pcs being sold with vista installed

which obviously means if you gave users a decent pc with good drivers of loving course they were going to like it
the other issue with vista was the initial use experience was abysmal. it was slow and annoying as poo poo for the first several days because the hard drive was busy indexing itself and you kept getting uac popups every three minutes whenever you tried to do something. eventually the hard drive got indexed and all the uac questions got answered but by then people had already their impression of the system (that it was chunky poop from a butt) and had told all their friends about it. giving someone a fully-tuned vista system resulted in a positive experience but that wasnt how most people encountered it irl

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

FMguru posted:

the other issue with vista was the initial use experience was abysmal. it was slow and annoying as poo poo for the first several days because the hard drive was busy indexing itself and you kept getting uac popups every three minutes whenever you tried to do something. eventually the hard drive got indexed and all the uac questions got answered but by then people had already their impression of the system (that it was chunky poop from a butt) and had told all their friends about it. giving someone a fully-tuned vista system resulted in a positive experience but that wasnt how most people encountered it irl

oh yeah true, i forgot about that stuff, uac was really bad with a lot of lovely coded apps at first iirc. also while indexing was still going desktop search obviously was poo poo because iirc it wouldn't even try to search non-indexed files

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i still have a relic of a vista laptop. it was a piece of poo poo when i got it and every time i need to use it for something it's still a piece of poo poo. it overheats, half it's drivers are broken, it takes a lifetime to do anything, and is generally very unpleasant to use. its bad

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

FMguru posted:

people still bitch about os x like this, even though they've upgraded literally every year for the past 3 years and the same thing happens every time

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

it was probably that bad when it first came out but by intel they had it figured out

the worst part was that uac was a necessary evil and all the nerds telling their parents how to turn it off probably set windows security back a year or two

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

how many lumia phones have there been? where does "930" rank among them?

• Locked thread