Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Rutkowski posted:

Or you buy a phone in another city for 30 bucks with 20 bucks worth of calls on it, pay in cash, and then call. No trace to your identity and since it's a burner you just dispose of it afterwards.

You know who else thought that way? Stringer Bell. And look how he wound up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

regulargonzalez posted:

Okay now, I have to say that was a fuckup only because the guy Stringer delegated to that task was grossly negligent. The concept is sound, reasonable, and demonstrably effective.

crazysim fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Aug 30, 2014

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?

regulargonzalez posted:

I act as a media contact for an activist collective and I get away with it by using chain of burners that we swap out every now and then. It works.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Rutkowski posted:

Or you buy a phone in another city for 30 bucks with 20 bucks worth of calls on it, pay in cash, and then call. No trace to your identity and since it's a burner you just dispose of it afterwards.
This might be the case but I doubt the sort that find this bullshit the hilarious will always be so cautious.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

Jackard posted:

This might be the case but I doubt the sort that find this bullshit the hilarious will always be so cautious.
Haha that's true. Some CSGOer looking for kicks and 4chan props probably won't do more than five minutes of research.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Rutkowski posted:

Haha that's true. Some CSGOer looking for kicks and 4chan props probably won't do more than five minutes of research.

The handful of recent Swattings has been done by (or claimed to have been done by) a single dude from myg0t, he seems to have figured out a method of doing these things.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Odobenidae posted:

The handful of recent Swattings has been done by (or claimed to have been done by) a single dude from myg0t, he seems to have figured out a method of doing these things.

The majority of the phone system works more or less entirely on the honor system, and if you know what you're doing and have access to a PRI circuit, you can end up doing all kinds of really really shady poo poo with it. You can modify the routing info so that it's very hard to trace the connection between companies, change the caller ID and E911 info, and generally gently caress up the underpinnings of a lot of services. It's entirely traceable, but considering that a lot of those phone systems literally run on a Windows XP machine inside the PBX box, they're hilariously exploitable if they're visible from the internet.

The E911 rewrite is key here. You spoof a caller ID and E911 number for the area, then call up 911, panicked and freaking out, then "Oh god, he's got a gun, oh jesus oh jesu *BANG BANG BANGBANGBAG stomp stomp stomp CLICK*. Police take a REAL dim view of calls like that, and will generally just mobilize everything to whatever the E911 address that was presented in the call. And they'll end up looking for anyone even remotely suspicious and shoot them dead, because they are under-trained and expecting a Hollywood style firefight with a lunatic.

Edit: That said, SWATing is possibly the most dangerous and morally reprehensible thing you can do to someone. Especially when that reason is 'I got mad at him in videogames!'.

Methylethylaldehyde fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Aug 31, 2014

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Sending the police to murder people's a pretty good grief.

:stare:

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

Oh I'm not in any way defending the swatting shitsticks, I'm just saying that it's very easy to be relatively untraceable for cheap.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Ringo Star Get posted:

Russian authorities would probably pat the guy on the back and give him a bottle of vodka.

Or not
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karl_Koch_(hacker)

El Estrago Bonito fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Aug 31, 2014

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

The majority of the phone system works more or less entirely on the honor system, and if you know what you're doing and have access to a PRI circuit, you can end up doing all kinds of really really shady poo poo with it. You can modify the routing info so that it's very hard to trace the connection between companies, change the caller ID and E911 info, and generally gently caress up the underpinnings of a lot of services. It's entirely traceable, but considering that a lot of those phone systems literally run on a Windows XP machine inside the PBX box, they're hilariously exploitable if they're visible from the internet.

You don't even need direct access to a PRI, many VoIP providers will simply pass the information you're sending right through. The consumer level providers are getting better about sanity checking things, but the corporate level guys often don't because businesses have plenty of legitimate reasons to send different caller ID and E911 information.

Given a phone number and an address it would take me about 45 seconds to make the phone on my desk appear to a 911 center like it was anyone else's in the country. I work for a VoIP provider so I legitimately need that ability, but it's far more widely available than most would hope.

Another thing to consider is that E911 data is a lot less important than you'd think when saying the kinds of things the caller says in a swatting incident. Supposedly one of the guys who got caught was using the free outbound calling feature in GMail. He got caught due to having also logged in to his personal account IIRC.

But yea, in the end the phone system is basically like email: A system designed back when the honor system actually worked because there were so few players that those who hosed around could easily be found. Once that expanded the trust fell apart.

I'm not really sure what could be done to make the situation better at this point. You don't want the police ignoring a potential real call, but at the same time there are apparently a lot of psychopaths who'd love to see a streamer killed live on the internet. Maybe better training, like if you receive a call that all kinds of poo poo is going down but arrive to find people playing video games you maybe realize you've been had at that point and calm the gently caress down.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Also phone companies are extremely backwards and adverse to change. The best part of the Mitnick trials was when the phone company people were all "There is no way he could have that information about our systems and no way it would still work today even if he did somehow have it!" and then it became clear that not only did Mitnick have the info but they hadn't changed any of it in the almost a decade he had been on the run after using it.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

The guy who swatted the Creature got arrested and is facing 25 years to life for doing it http://nationalreport.net/15-year-old-swatted-domestic-terrorism/

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

The guy who swatted the Creature got arrested and is facing 25 years to life for doing it http://nationalreport.net/15-year-old-swatted-domestic-terrorism/
National report is a joke newsite :ssh:

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Tekopo posted:

National report is a joke newsite :ssh:

Oh, its hard to keep track these days. The article isn't really funny though.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It was also posted on the previous page. Though it is the shittiest kind of satire you can do. Who is the demographic? It isn't people "in on the joke." Because the stories they do aren't even funny. And if it's people who see it on facebook, they will read it, form an opinion and then be informed it's a lovely satire site. It's either stupid poo poo that no one cares about or it's something to trick people into thinking something they want to happen is happening. There is another article about Breaking Bad filming a sixth season. Who is that for? People who know what the website is won't read it, because there is zero comedy and nothing of value in the article. People who get tricked by it will get annoyed for a second and then say "Oh, I guess it's a satire site guys." Then they are part of the group that's "in on the joke." Then what? Eventually everyone knows what the National Register is and there's no one left to trick.

I suppose it could be a form of griefing. Unlike a good grief, it only works once and it's not even a good one. Eventually it will just be an annoying website that your grandmother posts on facebook because it said Dancing with the Stars is being canceled.

At least with The Onion you get the double whammy of the articles being hilarious plus the added hilarity of idiots raging about it on facebook.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Clickbait.

Fruit-by-the-Foot Fetish
Aug 3, 2012

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

The E911 rewrite is key here. You spoof a caller ID and E911 number for the area, then call up 911, panicked and freaking out, then "Oh god, he's got a gun, oh jesus oh jesu *BANG BANG BANGBANGBAG stomp stomp stomp CLICK*. Police take a REAL dim view of calls like that, and will generally just mobilize everything to whatever the E911 address that was presented in the call. And they'll end up looking for anyone even remotely suspicious and shoot them dead, because they are under-trained and expecting a Hollywood style firefight with a lunatic.

Edit: That said, SWATing is possibly the most dangerous and morally reprehensible thing you can do to someone. Especially when that reason is 'I got mad at him in videogames!'.

I interpret the prevailing attitude in internet griefing culture as an "anything goes" mentality. It's one that legitimizes going to almost any length to harass or torment another person so long as it's done digitally over the internet using the means of a keyboard and mouse. Maybe one justification in the minds of some of those calling in the local murder squad to storm in on another in the privacy of their own home is that "they were asking for it" by having the audacity to use a webcam and sacrifice their anonymity by streaming themselves out to the web.

I admit the video was funny, seeing those bravo squadron machismo meatheads slowly realize they were played (yet again!!) was great. And frankly anyone who streams games is seeking attention so that poor guy at least has that goal accomplished. On the other hand, it wouldn't have been funny if the brother was hurt and he easily could have been. Eventually someone with headphones on just wont hear the kill squad until they're coming through the door and they'll probably react in a way that will get them shot.

The grim reality for streamers is that they make themselves a target for abuse and they have to take measures to protect themselves or this will just keep happening.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
This is why you see a lot of requests from fans to do a "tour" of the streamer's office or home in hopes of finding out where they live. The key tactic here is to never show anything outside the room you stream in or have any mail, packages, or even anything that might hint at your actual name.

Mom with a blog
Jul 15, 2009

Comedy is basically self-deprecation.
Crosspost from the SS13 thread.

Mash posted:

Good times on BestRP.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
http://youtube.com/watch?v=4avCYpqKTn8

I don't know why listening to kids get angry is so funny but it never gets old.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Odobenidae posted:

Where they're calling from is irrelevant because they use Caller ID spoofing so it looks like it's local.

I've been directly involved in multiple Swatting incidents and they aren't even doing that. I'm not going to go into great detail as to how they do it but the one guy we caught used VPN and some other things. We managed to catch him because he decided to post a video of him doing it on youtube.

Oh yeah and he was 13.

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

Annexed posted:

I've been directly involved in multiple Swatting incidents and they aren't even doing that. I'm not going to go into great detail as to how they do it but the one guy we caught used VPN and some other things. We managed to catch him because he decided to post a video of him doing it on youtube.

Oh yeah and he was 13.

it's stuff like that that makes me think "I might have been a little poo poo at 13, but thank god I never got my parents into THAT level of poo poo."

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Thumbtacks posted:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=4avCYpqKTn8

I don't know why listening to kids get angry is so funny but it never gets old.

Seems like the guy did them a favor by adding some excitement to the server. The guy wasn't even ruining anything because they were just running around a blank map.

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer
Public Vent Servers face the wrath of the Earl of Lemongrab

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eL0WQ9rqui0

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster

Phuzzy posted:

Lemongrab was made for this.

Bonald Farndhardt
Apr 18, 2005
Ye it up

Phuzzy posted:

Aw I was just gonna post this. Hope you enjoy it! Abe Lincoln is the next one!

g0t_hats
Jan 17, 2014

Odobenidae posted:

incorrect

g0t_hats fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Sep 1, 2014

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008

g0t_hats posted:

incorrect

nobody cares what you have to say

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

The Fattest PI posted:

Seems like someone from myg0t is likely to know whether it's true or not. Either way it's cool that you're really upset at someone in a thread about griefing though.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Eruonen posted:

Seems like someone from myg0t is likely to know whether it's true or not. Either way it's cool that you're really upset at someone in a thread about griefing though.

No really, nobody should listen to got_hats ever. His title is not the least bit an exaggeration and he almost single-handedly did away with this thread forever. He's a consummate unfunny retard.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

Chomp8645 posted:

No really, nobody should listen to got_hats ever. His title is not the least bit an exaggeration and he almost single-handedly did away with this thread forever. He's a consummate unfunny retard.

Yeah, you tell that guy!

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UZcqZ9d_VI
Old but I love this one.

Chomp8645 posted:

:qq:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Chomp8645 posted:

You showed him and definitely don't look like a "consummate unfunny retard" yourself. No one cares about poo poo-stirring over "this goon did a thing!!!".

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

so what side do i join here for maximum eye rolls and thread griefs

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

maybe you should all shut the fuckk up and post griefs !!! ugh! you're ruining this thread

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

wow i dont see any content coming out of you, shitlord *posts the first youtube result after searching for "epic griefs"*

e: the youtube video is this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wp3W7CXQsP0

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Since you guys are all buttholes and I don't grief or know anyone who does anymore I'm just going to repost my favorites from the past and bathe in griefing nostalgia.

CJ posted:

City of Heroes has only had 2 major griefing incidents that i can think of.

After you complete some missions you will get attacked by an ambush of minions. These are usually really easy to kill for the mission owner but sometimes someone would fly away leaving high level enemies killing low level characters in one hit as they ran past. There is however one high level mission which spawns a giant robot when you complete it. Someone had the idea to use the robot to grief the end game raid. He stood in the middle of the raid zone while 50-100 people tried to kill a giant cell for a rare enhancement. Meanwhile someone on his team completed the mission, causing this to happen.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Su3wa-SnFg0

The second one wouldn't be that remarkable if CoH wasn't primarily a PvE game. Someone found out that you could go in to a PvP zone and get an enemy to confuse you. You could then zone back in to the PvE zones and since you were still confused you could attack other players without being attacked back.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ScwgauwaHFs

I miss the hell out of City of Heroes. There weren't many griefs, but there also hasn't been any other MMO I've seen where you could drag one raid boss into a fight with another raid boss to wipe the raid. When this went down it was Kazzak in Stormwind levels of awesome and suddenly until they fixed it you couldn't get a Hami raid going to save your life.

Also, being able to chain confuse status with friendly players through multiple zones to bomb costume contests in Atlas owned.

:Edit:

:Edit2:

Also EVE

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Eve. Eve has and always will be a magnet for drama, grief, and morons that take themselves far too seriously.

Snowballs of Death

In EVE, there weren't towns persay. There was safe space, and the majority of the people in EVE and all the major trade was in safe space. There would be stations, police that would port in when you opened fire on another ship, etc. You could still attack and die, but usually the security would wipe the floor with any ship in safe space in a matter of seconds. Around the time I came onto the game, they were doing Christmas give outs.

One of the things I got was a snowball launcher. It was a missile launcher, only instead of missiles, it fired projectiles that just exploded in white spray when it hit your ship for no damage. For all intents and purposes, it looked like a real missile attack to someone not really paying close attention. I only had a small frigate at the time, and I hadn't gotten invited to the Goon Fleet so I set out with weapon in hand to amuse myself.

As soon as I launched from the station, I locked onto the biggest ship I saw ( a battle cruiser ) and opened fire. After three salvos of snowballs, the ship ( worth at least 30 times more than mine ) started firing back with real bullets. It was instantly obliterated by the station we were next to. I grabbed what was left in the loot can, blew the poo poo I couldn't carry, and flew back to the station. I made a lot of money that night with my snowball launcher.

Oh God Bees

Goons in Goon Fleet fought a lot, and it was for all intents and purposes like herding cats to get anyone to do anything. Real operations were frequently very, very boring. What goons loved, what would get you a hundred people in a matter of five minutes, was the promise of grief and pubbie tears. In EVE, when you died with no other ships in a station you got a really lovely newbie ship with almost no real weapons or health. They're awful and it requires a careful bit of equipping to get anything on one.

Well, someone figured out you could load a single light drone ( like an attack pet ) on one of these types of poo poo buckets. He then posed a question : How fast would a swarm of these ships with drones be able to kill something? This was a question that had to be answered! After a half hour of preparation, we had around fifty to seventy goons with these ships all holding a single drone.

Together our mighty force set out to secure space. Eventually we found a mining battle cruiser in a veldspar asteroid belt, without any real guns just sitting there. Pubbies would often go idle in safe space, under the mistaken belief that they were... Well, safe. We converged on him and started to orbit him at minimum range. It looked beautiful to see that many little ships swarming around a much larger one, that had no idea of the hell that was about to come down upon it.

"u giv mssl?" Inquired our flight lead.

"lol what are you talking about mssl?" Replied the retard.

"GIV MSSL NOW!" Demanded our leader. He told us to lock onto the target and start pinging him with our radars, which filled his screen with warning signals that he just got locked.

"wat are you going 2 do shoot me lol" He dropped his drones. Five medium drones that wouldn't have trouble popping light ships fairly quickly. The command was given and all at once fifty people dropped their drones and told them to attack. As soon as the game server was done making GBS threads itself over the lag, the battle cruiser went up in less then ten seconds. Of course most of the little ships didn't escape the police, but they were griefing alts specifically made for that gimmick so no one gave a poo poo.

From that day on, the VC Bee legacy went on. Over time, people started dropping missiles on command into a can whenever we demanded it. Fifty missiles or so, ridiculously cheap and not worth anything. We'd take our prize, thank them and go. Everyone else who dared not to 'giv mssl' died in a hailstorm of angry bees.

Sing OR DIE

In EVE, a unique system evolved. It was completely possible to lock down someone's ship and prevent it from moving or attacking you, if you had the numbers and equipment. Usually when you did this as a pirate, you'd demand a ransom of money from someone. Then you'd let them go. It was expected of every 'real' pirate. Someone had an idea one night, somewhere between beers. Why did the ransom have to be money?

We made a small teamspeak server and got a group of four or five goons, then took off to a few areas I knew of. Not many people, not often in groups, scattered across an area. Just what we needed. We set our ships up to jam weapons and propulsion instead of outright fighting, then took off. When we sighted a target, we jumped in on him, locked his ship up and started orbiting outside of smart bomb range ( AoE weapons that needed no lock ).

"plz let me go ill giv u isk"

"We have demands. Log into this teamspeak server. If you don't, we'll blow up your ship right now."

The target would log into the server, though sometimes we had to walk them through getting into it our downloading teamspeak, giggling like drunken school girls while we waited. As soon as he was on, we'd make just one demand.

"Sing. Pick a song and sing it, then we'll let you go." Anyone that refused was destroyed, but more often than not the pubbies that didn't log out ( and get destroyed ) would start to sing. It was some godawful loving singing, ranging from awful renditions of popular songs to more appropriate ones such as 'Twinkle Twinkle Little Star'. I think some of it was recorded, but it was so long ago I'm sure I've deleted the files by now.

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Little bit more.

Swatting Flies With A Sledgehammer

In Goonspace at the time, we had a problem with the occasional rear end in a top hat that would fly around and do no real damage. Usually this would be someone that might kill a few newbie miners, then die, or proclaim victory over the evil goons and log out. One of these guys that became a regular was a guy called Tookar. He was annoying, but not really a threat to anyone in a big ship as he only flew tiny frigates. We couldn't kill him most of the time because he'd only attack people that were AFK or unarmed. I was feeling funny, so I equipped out a battleship with a single mining laser... And a full rack of torpedoes.

Torpedoes wouldn't even HIT a frigate unless it was standing point blank close to you, and it wasn't moving. It was for all intents and purposes like trying to destroy a sponge with a hammer. Neither the less, I was in the mood to do something stupid and off I went. I let the Raven battleship sit there, letting it mine into a can. I waited, and waited, and waited. Tookar buzzed by a few times at far away ranges, looking to see if I was afk or whatever. The single mining laser made it LOOK like I was mining, as one laser looked the same as eight.

After three peeks, he and his friend came in at point blank range and started attacking me. I immediately locked him, scrambled him, webbed him, and started attacking. It took me a full two minutes to actually KILL him with the torpedoes, but all he could do was sit there and watch as his health gradually faded away. That's the only time I ever saw a frigate die to a torpedo.

Goons Ruin Everything

The Pipe ( the area leading from our space to safe space ) was commonly filled with goon traffic, looking here and there for enemies or anything out of place. It was common knowledge that anything, anything worth note that was found on the pipe would immediately be swarmed and destroyed by the goons. One day, we found something very unusual. We found a Mothership. Think Home World in terms of scale. It was a big loving ship, and it was oddly enough an NPC ship with a ridiculous bounty. Immediately EVERYONE in S-U ( our space ) was told to get into the biggest ship they had.

In ten minutes we had fifty or so ships, cruisers, battleships, frigates, a hodge podge armada ready to poo poo on someone's sandwich. We went in and we took down the ship, taking losses of course but hey, we still made out OK. Then we left.

Unknown to us, it was a GM event. In public space, a good half hour's journey up the pipe GMs had been gathering a bunch of pubbies to lead them to the mothership. They were posing as 'interstellar police' and they needed help dealing with dangerous pirates! Anyone who came with them would be richly rewarded! Pubbies being the greedy, stupid fuckers they were swarmed on this and followed the GMs in droves down the pipe only to get there twenty minutes too late. It must have been kind of awkward for the GMs.

What was exactly said was unknown, but the pubbies were very upset that someone had beaten them to the punch and demanded compensation for their time. The GMs refused, and the pubbies all swarmed them. Once the GMs were blown up and podded, it became a free for all and every pubbie started blowing up one another in a mad melee for the GM's ship loot. A goon got drawn to the area, and he said there were something like forty or fifty cans sitting around from a whole bunch of different ships. I don't know why the GMs thought it would be a good idea to spawn a massive target 5 minutes away from Goon space with the reputation we had.

TheSpiritFox fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Sep 2, 2014

g0t_hats
Jan 17, 2014

The Fattest PI posted:

Chomp8645 posted:

I was there when he got swatted, I know who did it. I was simply stating that it wasn't me or anyone else from myg0t. Chill.

He used Skype, he was connected to a VPN and he lives in another country. Even though most of his personal info is out there and has been posted he doesn't seem worried.

g0t_hats fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Sep 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I want to hear MechWarrior griefing stories from the older games, the one about crashing people's PCs with massive amounts of missiles was just awesome :allears:

quote:

I used to do this in Mechwarrior 3, with a large or heavy mech outfitted with nothing but machine guns. A few machine guns going off is no big deal, 20+ at once would cause some serious aural chaos and often lagged up the map, sometimes even crash people with lovely onboard sound. Plus it's almost impossible to see MG fire in the chaos of battle so it'd take a while to figure out just who that jerk was, ho-hum... Also, even though I only had enough ammo for just a few seconds' worth of firing, it turns out that an all-MG loadout can kill just about anything with an alpha strike. :V

• Locked thread