Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

ephex posted:

Not that it is a big surprise or anything, but scientists have shown that holding the WC in Qatar during summer would be a health hazard for the players and supporters.

http://www.realclearscience.com/journal_club/2014/08/21/a_world_cup_in_qatars_summer_wont_be_safe_for_fans_108796.html

Goatseed by a weather graph

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Hegay posted:

Goatseed by a weather graph

It's incredibly hot.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!
I see there is a thread about me, nice.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

I see there is a thread about me, nice.

Looks like someone didn't read the sticky.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Gigi Galli posted:

Looks like someone didn't read the sticky.

huh?

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3441145#post419327310

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

well gently caress, rip me. Do what you feel is best mod, be gentle.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

well gently caress, rip me. Do what you feel is best mod, be gentle.

This is for ruining football!!!!!

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

I dont think he's the real Blatter

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Hegay posted:

Not even once.

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

The Italian mod is taking a hard stance against corruption and he won't back down until someone pays him

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Hegay posted:

Better safe than sorry.

K U N T Z
Dec 29, 2008

The Lot Of You...
lol if you think safety concerns for players, fans or gays played any part in the election process.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

The gays should just wear tighter shorts imo

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

FIFA's weekly e-magazine (PDF) contains a short feature on Sepp Blatter. Here are some choice quotes, skip to page 25 to read along:

"When ’Seppli’ was born on 10 March 1936, FIFA had 56 member associations, including Switzerland and therefore also FC Visp. It was at that provincial club that Blatter began his football career, rising from youth player to feared top-flight striker, reportedly earning the nickname of ’the Uwe Seeler of Upper Valais’."

"The ball may still be round but there have been numerous changes since the era of Sepp Herberger. Blatter travels a great deal more, visiting Samoa, the Cook Islands, Nepal, Dijibouti, Montserrat and Dominica. The laws of the game are obeyed by everyone, be they Zulus, Shiites, Muslims, Jews, Kurds, Creoles or any other race - and they are also, reluctantly, followed by Blatter’s numerous detractors. Football is a simple game that only becomes complicated once you attempt to explain the active and passive offside rules to your wife."

"Blatter’s father refused to allow him to play ice hockey, claiming the game was too rough and Blatter later took that advice on board when President of FIFA: instead of using the coarse ice hockey term of ’sudden death’ to describe the deciding goal in extra time, Blatter opted for the more humane ’Golden Goal’."

"Although Blatter possesses a remarkable natural stamina on his feet, in a similar way to the immovable Matterhorn, he was in favour of abolishing standing room only football for safety reasons"

"Thanks to the World Cup and television deals, the football industry earns millions across the globe. Blatter was a living example of globalisation before it became an economic catchphrase."

TheBigAristotle fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Aug 26, 2014

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Mods please rename me Football is a simple game that only becomes complicated once you attempt to explain the active and passive offside rules to your wife.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

TheBigAristotle posted:

"Football is a simple game that only becomes complicated once you attempt to explain the active and passive offside rules to your wife."

lol

"The only thing Valais has still to produce is a Pope, unless you describe Blatter as a kind of football Pope."

"The smart Valais native, a colonel in the Swiss army, multilingual, eloquent, quick-witted, savvy, jovial and by no means introverted, accomplished many feats that seemed impossible."

"Blatter was a living example of globalisation before it became an economic catchphrase. Sometimes numbers can lie though: according to statisticians a man with his head in a sauna and his feet in a fridge would have an average body temperature."

I didn't know FIFA had a weekly e-zine, but it loving owns.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Sepp Blatter: The Kim Jong-Il of FIFA.

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam
edit: /\ lol dammit

Did they hire Kim Il-sung's propaganda guy for this? they're this close to saying that three rainbows appeared at the moment of his birth

also there's no such thing as passive offside ffs

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Lamont Cranston posted:

edit: /\ lol dammit

Did they hire Kim Il-sung's propaganda guy for this? they're this close to saying that three rainbows appeared at the moment of his birth

also there's no such thing as passive offside ffs

there is

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
They paid $30m for a propaganda film starring Tim Roth and people are surprised at an e-zine?

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I can't get over the fact that they feel the need to emphasize his humanitarian bent with the whole "golden goal instead of sudden-death" as workers are dying every day in Qatar

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Offside is offside. Calling it passive or active just adds a layer of complexity that's unnecessary imo

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
Has anyone ever seen Kim Jong-un and Sepp Blatter in the same place at the same time? Makes you think.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

TheBigAristotle posted:

I can't get over the fact that they feel the need to emphasize his humanitarian bent with the whole "golden goal instead of sudden-death" as workers are dying every day in Qatar

Well it explains why Beckenbauer saw no human rights abuse. When he looked at the doccumentation there was 28 golden goals a day and he thought they must really love their soccer!

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Byolante posted:

Well it explains why Beckenbauer saw no human rights abuse. When he looked at the doccumentation there was 28 golden goals a day and he thought they must really love their soccer!

lol

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Byolante posted:

lmao

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

TheBigAristotle posted:

Sorry, the official FIFA term for worker death is Silver Sacrifice.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Byolante posted:

:drat:

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Platini's not going to run against the sexy polymath after all. It's almost like that would have been a bad idea

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I wonder if England will get the World Cup instead of Russia in 2018?

Actually, a joint UK bid might be nice following the independence referendum.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
Did Michael Garcia's report ever come out? I know it was going to be internal FIFA but I don't remember hearing anything about it after the World Cup started.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Pissflaps posted:

I wonder if England will get the World Cup instead of Russia in 2018?

Actually, a joint UK bid might be nice following the independence referendum.

What, as independent Scotland's coming out party? That would be kinda nice, actually.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

Pook Good Mook posted:

Did Michael Garcia's report ever come out? I know it was going to be internal FIFA but I don't remember hearing anything about it after the World Cup started.

shhhhh, they are hoping everybody will just forget!

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

Pook Good Mook posted:

If this is the report I'm thinking of, when it was nearly complete FIFA decided that they didn't want to finish it and scrapped the project having spent millions.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

Teddybear posted:

What, as independent Scotland's coming out party? That would be kinda nice, actually.

I guess you haven't seen the latest polls?

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

Scotland/Catalonia Euro 2018 because 5 stadiums is probably enough

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Joint bid by Donetsk People's Republic and Abkhazia imo.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Pook Good Mook posted:

last I heard the report was due in july, but would not be made public (lol). The final decision is due in september I think which will apparently be made public, so no prizes for guessing how that will come out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluo
May 25, 2007

British human rights investigators disappear in Qatar, after being followed by plain clothes police
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...ce-9709804.html

quote:

Two British human rights workers investigating the plight of migrant labourers constructing facilities for Qatar’s 2022 World Cup have disappeared and are feared to be held incommunicado by the Gulf state’s security forces.

Krishna Upadhyaya and Ghimire Gundev vanished on Sunday afternoon after sending texts to colleagues saying they were being followed by plain clothes police officers and feared they arrest as they tried to leave Qatar on flights that day.

The two men, who are of Nepalese extraction and both carry British passports, had been in the Qatari capital Doha to record interviews with Nepali labourers and investigate conditions in accommodation camps. They were working in cooperation with Nepalese diplomats in the city.

Qatar has been strongly criticised for the working conditions of its 1.4m migrant labourers as it races to spend £123bn on new infrastructure ahead of the 2022 World Cup. More than 400 Nepalese, the vast majority of them in Qatar to work on construction projects, died in the Gulf state between January 2012 and this May - a death rate of one worker per day. Qatar has insisted that none of the deaths occurred on World Cup sites.

The Norwegian charity employing the men told The Independent it had heard nothing from them for three days and received no information from the Qatari authorities despite multiple requests to officials in Doha to establish their whereabouts.[...]
:wtc: