Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Prav
Oct 29, 2011

i'm a "player" :forkbomb:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

don't hate the player, hate the gamer

all these gamers and u decide to play me

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

David Copperfield posted:

But that's exactly what I'm getting at. They'll super-analyze their online behavior, find some weird minor inconsistency, and declare it as proof that the whole thing is faked and these women aren't actually effected by harassment.

except a thorough analysis of a similar claim revealed not just some minor inconsistencies, but the whole thing to be fabrication. literally a lie, made up wholesale for financial gain.

also this isn't a minor inconsistency. sorry, but if you literally fear for your life (as in someone might kill you at any second) to the degree that you abandon your home, you don't tweet that poo poo first.

furthermore, a person on twitter has offered to donate $1000 to a charity of anita's choice if she posts the police report. no response yet.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Lobster Harmonica posted:

Dude if they honestly try and push "player" as the new word for gamer on behalf of some girl who literally played the gently caress out of a bunch of people I'll laugh out loud irl

Hey. Don't hate the player, hate the game

r.

E: drat, this thread is too fast for my smartphone.

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Aug 31, 2014

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Realtalk the whole "Sorry guys, I'm moving my grandma out of her nursing home due to some very serious threats" poo poo that every uninvolved party seems to be pulling this weekend is beyond laughable

There's always farther to go when you don't quite feel enough like a victim.

The Brown Menace posted:

furthermore, a person on twitter has offered to donate $1000 to a charity of anita's choice if she posts the police report. no response yet.

lol

A. Beaverhausen fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Aug 31, 2014

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

The Brown Menace posted:

also this isn't a minor inconsistency. sorry, but if you literally fear for your life (as in someone might kill you at any second) to the degree that you abandon your home, you don't tweet that poo poo first.

Well if you do, you could win a Darwin award.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
Nobody ever reports anything to the police during these

I don't know whether or not it's because it's not true or because kill all police

falcon2424
May 2, 2005

a slim pixie posted:

When Dred Scott sued for freedom he was told his desires were a bunch of trivial bullshit. Slavery existed in the United States for nearly a century despite the existence of people who railed against it. Then there was another near-century of legal discrimination.

A lot of people in the north during the civil war didn't have any special affinity for the rights of black people either. Multiple white mobs in the north murdered the black people living among them out of resentment.

Key Difference: Slavery actually was a big deal. Unlike, for instance, people disliking aspects of some video games.

These superficial comparisons are dumb. "You called bullshit just like slavers did" is as stupid as "those feminists have an ideology and so did hitler"

Gravefront
Feb 5, 2014

by Ralp
I don't think I've ever taken an internet threat seriously

it astounds me that there are people who do

then I remember they don't, but it can be spun in such a way to garner support for their retarded cause

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

Nobody ever reports anything to the police during these

I don't know whether or not it's because it's not true or because kill all police

Because you get into trouble for filing false police reports and lying to the police.

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006

Dude if they honestly try and push "player" as the new word for gamer on behalf of some girl who literally played the gently caress out of a bunch of people I'll laugh out loud irl

Can't wait to see people smugly dropping 'player' clumsily into interviews and conversations. :getin:

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP

a slim pixie posted:

When Dred Scott sued for freedom he was told his desires were a bunch of trivial bullshit. Slavery existed in the United States for nearly a century despite the existence of people who railed against it. Then there was another near-century of legal discrimination.

A lot of people in the north during the civil war didn't have any special affinity for the rights of black people either. Multiple white mobs in the north murdered the black people living among them out of resentment.

You're trying to compare publishers/developers pandering to the group that is most likely to give them money to slavery, and trying to attribute it to industry-wide oppression of women/minorities rather than "teenagers might buy this call of duty clone, may as well put in some tits to seal the deal on this homogenized white guy shooter".

Your example would make SOME sense if publishers were purposely strong-arming stores into not selling games that go against their proven mold.

a slim pixie posted:

A lot of people who identify as gamers are extremely insecure and can't handle any kind of criticism of a product they like.

That's you, considering you just tried to compare slavery to video game bullshit. You god damned retard.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Realtalk the whole "Sorry guys, I'm moving my grandma out of her nursing home due to some very serious threats" poo poo that every uninvolved party seems to be pulling this weekend is beyond laughable

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-28986271

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.

Gravefront posted:

I don't think I've ever taken an internet threat seriously

it astounds me that there are people who do

then I remember they don't, but it can be spun in such a way to garner support for their retarded cause

Seriously, trolling has been around since aol chat and usenet. These people must be new to the internet

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
The internet is an endless font of stupidity therefore there will always be statements to cherry pick and dwell on for the sake of victimhood when actually having to explain your motivations and actions becomes inconvenient. If you spend your time neck-deep in a bunch of bullshit it's not hard to pretend like you're drowning.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

If anyone is genuinely moving house due to a twitter shitstorm then they're a loving idiot. Either they think a bunch of fat neckbeards are actually going to come after them, or they're throwing a huge song and dance about their oppression over the noble cause of vidya games.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
So wait are gamers enslaving women like white people in the south during the civil war era or are gamers killing women like the ISIS caliphate or is it like both?

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP

Simstim posted:

Seriously, trolling has been around since aol chat and usenet. These people must be new to the internet

It'd take either some home grown pictures of my house (none of this google street-view poo poo) or me while I'm out, or Swat'ing (telling cops im armed and killing people to get my home raided by the police), for me to give a poo poo about internet threats.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
http://www.gofundme.com/dst1a8

Lightanchor
Nov 2, 2012
Martyr in the Gamer War

Gravefront
Feb 5, 2014

by Ralp

Simstim posted:

well, these are the same people that call DQ a "videogame" so I'm guessing they're new to technology in general

EasternBronze
Jul 19, 2011

I registered for the Selective Service! I'm also racist as fuck!
:downsbravo:
Don't forget to ignore me!

Wow now this is a fundme I could get behind :circlefap:

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
"Journalist": "So, since when have you been a player?"
Famous Black Guy: "...What?"

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

you know they're just gonna make more anonymous death threats now that they know these people are so scared that they'd move out of their homes over it

a slim pixie
Dec 29, 2008

an earworm burrowed into my frontal lobe

falcon2424 posted:

Key Difference: Slavery actually was a big deal. Unlike, for instance, people disliking aspects of some video games.

These superficial comparisons are dumb. "You called bullshit just like slavers did" is as stupid as "those feminists have an ideology and so did hitler"

"Society's improved enough, no need to make any more changes" is a terrible opinion to have and usually owned by those who benefit from the status quo.

Dumb poo poo that pops up in video games and other media is a symptom of toxic attitudes that still remain and should be excised.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Hitler was a gamer, but Churchill was a player.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

lets band together, gamers. the honor of video games has been sullied

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

A. Beaverhausen posted:

There's always farther to go when you don't quite feel enough like a victim.

perfect storm of playing the victim and also trying to paint their opposition as literal terrorists based on nothing

"my mom cannot enter seattle" is the hardest I've laughed at some bullshit in a while

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

we've reached the peak. Close it and gold mine it.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Eh...I can get behind this.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

a slim pixie posted:

"Society's improved enough, no need to make any more changes" is a terrible opinion to have and usually owned by those who benefit from the status quo.

Dumb poo poo that pops up in video games and other media is a symptom of toxic attitudes that still remain and should be excised.

Everyone should think and act like I tell them to. Even in their fantasies.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Simstim posted:

Imagine 2014 internet users discovering 2003 SA goatse, lemonparty, tubgirl, cakefart, swap.avi and such. :shepface:

Gravefront
Feb 5, 2014

by Ralp

quote:

This video project will explore, analyze and deconstruct nothing important or relevant because the real cause we need to fight for are adolescent girls in the Middle East forced to marry men 50 years older than them. We should also be fighting the human trafficking and the organized prostitution forced on women in third world countries, such as Thailand and India. But apparently women in video games is the cause so many cunts are trying to take up. I don’t really need your help to make this happen, I just want to show off my tits and make money while I cry about how I’m getting bullied.

based

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

a slim pixie posted:

Excise your toxic self from this thread

EasternBronze
Jul 19, 2011

I registered for the Selective Service! I'm also racist as fuck!
:downsbravo:
Don't forget to ignore me!

The real pay off is at the end.

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.

Gravefront posted:

well, these are the same people that call DQ a "videogame" so I'm guessing they're new to technology in general

Maybe their online experience is limited to the social media that is meant to show your true identity like facebook and linkedin, and twitter accounts used for professional/real life purposes. Because outside of that, the internet is a cesspool and it has always been one thanks to user anonymity.

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

Simstim posted:

the internet is a cesspool and it has always been one thanks to user anonymity.

cesspools own

falcon2424
May 2, 2005

a slim pixie posted:

People laughed at Gandhi. The also laughed at Bozo the Clown. And Furries.

You don't get to claim you're right just because people disagree.

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che

Anal Papist posted:

A head reviewer for polygon just cancelled plans they had with their family, left the city they are living in and made sure to inform their family to never reveal their locations online just incase. All due to threats made to other people who aren't directly connected to them. I wouldn't believe this poo poo about right wing rapture is coming doomsday preppers but apparently this is something SJWs actually do.

a reminder that 4chan has spent the last few days exhorting people not to start poo poo at pax, not to harass people on twitter, not to doxx people, and to call out people that are doing so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf

If I donate am I both a mysogonist AND femanist?

• Locked thread