Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Magus, Lucca, Robo. Magitek all day erry day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
Robo with the Crisis Arm and Uzzi Punch hits for 8k consistently. Other characters other than unreliable crit shenanigan L99 Ayla have troublehitting half that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Crono, Ayla and Frog. All day 'ery day.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

ImpAtom posted:

Crono, Ayla and Frog. All day 'ery day.
Yeah this is me. You get a great array of both physical and magic (mostly physical I suppose) with a party-wide heal with Frog.

You can make pretty much any Crono/Ayla combo work, though. I used to love Crono/Ayla/Marle mostly for how awesome Final Kick looked.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003
Magus, Frog, and Robo to beat up Lavos is my favorite because they're the coolest of the group.

Never bothered with Magus's triple techs. Just hand waving motions to summon hemisphere and triangles all day long while the other two heal or bubble snap or rocket punch, whatever, it's all good.

e:

Heavy neutrino posted:

Someone post the youtube video where some guy freestyle raps over Schala's theme

This is the only one that jumps to mind: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmhrknkBZLE

BloodWulfe fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Aug 30, 2014

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Literally the only complaint I've ever had about CT is that there's no Crono/Magus triple tech. I'd love to try Magus in an endgame party but he's just not viable because of this. Unless I ditch Crono but :cmon:.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Thinking about CT just makes me remember how I screwed up the business with Lucca's side quest at the endgame. Kid-me-with-a-guilt-complex really did not handle that well! :v:

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
Square had DQ8 on display at PAX today on some tablets

Holy hell it runs like dogass, it was sub 15 fps in the first town.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

That whole campfire scene and the subsequent flashback/time travel stuff with Lucca's mother is straight out of a different game. I mean it was good and interesting but man it felt out-of-place.

I did all the sidequests though except for Black Omen. Do I have to do those in order of era? Like if I beat it in the oldest era and get treasure will the treasure not be there in later era versions?

Also I think I might just tackle Lavos. Not now as I'm tired but tomorrow. If I win I'll just save my New Game+ to a different slot. Then I can load my original pre-final boss save and finish up the various dungeons and things.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

NikkolasKing posted:

That whole campfire scene and the subsequent flashback/time travel stuff with Lucca's mother is straight out of a different game. I mean it was good and interesting but man it felt out-of-place.

I did all the sidequests though except for Black Omen. Do I have to do those in order of era? Like if I beat it in the oldest era and get treasure will the treasure not be there in later era versions?

Also I think I might just tackle Lavos. Not now as I'm tired but tomorrow. If I win I'll just save my New Game+ to a different slot. Then I can load my original pre-final boss save and finish up the various dungeons and things.

You can go through the Black Omen up to three times if you want to by going in reverse temporal order, entering it for the first time in 1000 AD and going back an era each subsequent time. It's exactly the same every time, you'll just get three times as much experience and treasure (it's good experience and treasure, though, especially if you use Charm on enemies).

Catts
Nov 3, 2011

Heavy neutrino posted:

Someone post the youtube video where some guy freestyle raps over Schala's theme

Do you mean this?

http://youtu.be/0ruDsIRM8Hk?t=2m55s

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

NikkolasKing posted:

If you do decide to go through the Omen more than once, be sure to Charm the last boss's hands as it will give you a Prism Dress and a Prism Helm respectively. So if you do it three times, and got three Helms from the Rainbow Shell quest, you will have a complete set of Prism equipment!

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Zaggitz posted:

Literally the only complaint I've ever had about CT is that there's no Crono/Magus triple tech. I'd love to try Magus in an endgame party but he's just not viable because of this. Unless I ditch Crono but :cmon:.

Well, Triple Techs are flashy and fun, but they're really not the end all be all. In fact I'm pretty sure speed runners say to avoid them because they're just not worth it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

To be fair, Speedrunners are specifically going for time, and triple techs have like 50 second long animations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

To be honest most techs are kinda meh in the end. There's a small handful which are extremely good and otherwise it's mostly what is fun. Chrono Trigger is not remotely a hard game.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Triple techs are more flashy than useful usually.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Dubious posted:

Square had DQ8 on display at PAX today on some tablets

Holy hell it runs like dogass, it was sub 15 fps in the first town.

If it makes you feel better, the game lack voice-overs from the English localization, doesn't feature the orchestrated soundtrack, and forces you to play in the portrait perspective.

Wait, that shouldn't make anyone feel better about the mobile port.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Sunning posted:

If it makes you feel better, the game lack voice-overs from the English localization, doesn't feature the orchestrated soundtrack, and forces you to play in the portrait perspective.

Wait, that shouldn't make anyone feel better about the mobile port.

No English voices? If I can't be soothed by Yangus and his dulcet tones then what is even the point.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Bussamove posted:

No English voices? If I can't be soothed by Yangus and his dulcet tones then what is even the point.

No voices period. Only the English version had voices at all besides some battle grunts.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Zaggitz posted:

I typically use Crono Frog and Ayla, Ayla and Frog have a heal all dual tech and the physical triple tech you get from this team is beast as gently caress. Plus Crono and Frog have increased crits from the hero medal and rainbow sword. Doubly so in the ds version where they give Frog an even better hero's medal.
That was my usual go-to team for the endgame, although more for Luminaire/Drop Kick than the triple tech.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

The very first boss battle in Lost Odyssey, which took me three hours of story slog to get to, is so incredibly difficult that I am shelving this game again. WTF?

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(

Dross posted:

The very first boss battle in Lost Odyssey, which took me three hours of story slog to get to, is so incredibly difficult that I am shelving this game again. WTF?

Use the front line-back line system better. That's a really common quitting spot, once you figure out the battle system it's really the hardest part of the game.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Baltazar Robotnik posted:

Use the front line-back line system better. That's a really common quitting spot, once you figure out the battle system it's really the hardest part of the game.

I've got the two immortals both set up with the skill that increases GC while defending, and even still I can't keep up with the damage output or GC drop of Down Burst.

Does being in the back row hurt your physical damage output?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Dross posted:

Does being in the back row hurt your physical damage output?
Yes. Don't worry about regenerating GC or whatever, just put Seth and Kaim in the front row, Jansen in the back, and punch it until it dies. Maybe you have to make Seth bust out a couple healing items since she's the quickest. You're taking waaaaaaay too complex of an approach--this poo poo ain't chess, it's checkers.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

The White Dragon posted:

Yes. Don't worry about regenerating GC or whatever, just put Seth and Kaim in the front row, Jansen in the back, and punch it until it dies. Maybe you have to make Seth bust out a couple healing items since she's the quickest. You're taking waaaaaaay too complex of an approach--this poo poo ain't chess, it's checkers.

Well the whole reason I'm taking this complicated approach is because the simple approach was not working for me.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Are you down to getting 1XP per enemy already? Levels can make a pretty big difference up until you get the kids and their gamebreaking buff spells.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(
Also, I think you can get an item right before this guy that makes you immune to poison. Teaching that to both Seth and Kaim can help a ton.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Good call...each level seems to be increasing my stats by like 30%.

Edit: as well as my speed, he no longer acts before me every turn.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

The best way to kill the first boss is probably to toss Kaim one of the physical damage buff consumables (I forget what they are called) and a fire ring while Jansen throws out some fire spells and Seth mostly heals with items.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

As far as I can tell, being in the back row does not in fact lower your physical damage output.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
To avoid you some pain later make sure you level everyone pretty much evenly. There's a few spots where the party gets split for plot purposes and you will have a bad time if you've neglected some of them.

Especially make sure your immortals keep learning skills and you unlock as many as possible on the humans.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I'm enjoying Tales of Symphonia so far, but god drat did everyone momentarily get hit with stupidity.

(Big story spoiler) I've just gone through the Tower of Salvation and had the big reveals about Kronos and Yggdrasil running both Cruxis and the Desians, and yet the party had to sit in their room afterwards and puzzle it out for themselves :bang:. Kronos must've concussed the lot of them when he kicked my rear end.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Mokinokaro posted:

To avoid you some pain later make sure you level everyone pretty much evenly. There's a few spots where the party gets split for plot purposes and you will have a bad time if you've neglected some of them.

Especially make sure your immortals keep learning skills and you unlock as many as possible on the humans.

Do the human party members ever permanently leave the party?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Beat Chrono Trigger. Got "Beyond Time" as my ending which I take it is the normal one to get. I think the only other endings I might try to go for are the DS exclusive one and the one where you take on Lavos with just Crono and Marle. Or maybe it's just Crono? Whatever, I just figured it might be a bit more interesting since the final fight wasn't really that tough. Was about Mid-level 50s.

Magus + Dark Matter = 2K damage every turn. With Golden Stud he can cast that thing all day. Had Crono spam Frenzy and Ayla spam Triple Kick. With all the Megalixirs I got from just going through just the first Black Omen, there was never much danger. The most annoying thing was I forgot to equip Ayla with a Golden Stud of her own so I kept having to waste time feeding her Hi-Ethers or Elixirs when I didn't have to.

I'm gonna take some time to collect my thoughts on the game as a whole and I'll post them later.

Does anyone here think the other endings are worth the effort to get them? I think I asked this way back before I started the game...

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp

NikkolasKing posted:

Does anyone here think the other endings are worth the effort to get them? I think I asked this way back before I started the game...

Only if you feel like replaying the game in general. None of the endings are really special enough to play just for them, but they add incentive to replaying the game and taking on Lavos at various points and all that.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Dross posted:

Do the human party members ever permanently leave the party?
No, level them up all you want; everyone will be there by the end. Be sure to master all the Slot+ skills as you get them, too, because they stack and there are three or four in total.

NikkolasKing posted:

Beat Chrono Trigger. Got "Beyond Time" as my ending which I take it is the normal one to get. I think the only other endings I might try to go for are the DS exclusive one and the one where you take on Lavos with just Crono and Marle. Or maybe it's just Crono? Whatever, I just figured it might be a bit more interesting since the final fight wasn't really that tough. Was about Mid-level 50s.
You must've gotten pretty lucky, because his second form can ruin your day if he hits you with Lock and Confusion even if you're max level.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Aug 31, 2014

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Punch Card posted:

Only if you feel like replaying the game in general. None of the endings are really special enough to play just for them, but they add incentive to replaying the game and taking on Lavos at various points and all that.

That would be pretty neat. I'll have to look up a guide for all that though.

The White Dragon posted:

You must've gotten pretty lucky, because his second form can ruin your day if he hits you with Lock and Confusion even if you're max level.

I did all the sidequests and had everyone decked out with Prismatic Helms. Those prevent status ailments, right?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

I did all the sidequests and had everyone decked out with Prismatic Helms. Those prevent status ailments, right?

I believe he specifically has a move that kills any immunities you have just so he can gently caress you over.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The special ending you get for opening the portal to Lavos at the Millennial Fair and beating him with just Chrono and Marle is pretty funny but most are just eh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp

Sakurazuka posted:

The special ending you get for opening the portal to Lavos at the Millennial Fair and beating him with just Chrono and Marle is pretty funny but most are just eh.

If I remember correctly, the best one is the ending you get for beating Lavos (who is more powerful than usual for this fight, at least in his first form) when you fight and are supposed to lose to him in the Undersea Palace.