Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snackula
Aug 1, 2013

hedgefund wizard

Sunning posted:

If it makes you feel better, the game lack voice-overs from the English localization, doesn't feature the orchestrated soundtrack, and forces you to play in the portrait perspective.

Wait, that shouldn't make anyone feel better about the mobile port.

The worst part is the vertical orientation thing means your horizontal FOV is like 15 degrees so you're constantly wrestling the clunky camera controls. At 12 FPS. In a game that had sort of confusing town layouts with overly samey textures to begin with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Sakurazuka posted:

The special ending you get for opening the portal to Lavos at the Millennial Fair and beating him with just Chrono and Marle is pretty funny but most are just eh.

Punch Card posted:

If I remember correctly, the best one is the ending you get for beating Lavos (who is more powerful than usual for this fight, at least in his first form) when you fight and are supposed to lose to him in the Undersea Palace.

You're both talking about the same ending; there are two different ways to get it.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So...Chrono Trigger. Some people I have talked to over the years say it could easily be in the running not only for best SNES JRPG but best JRPG ever. Now do I think either of those things? Well on the former I'm not sure. This is only the second SNES JRPG I've finished (ironically I played neither of them on the SNES). For best JRPG ever though, probably not. It was still very, very good however.

I think part of my lack of being wowed was due to knowing the "core plot" before I even went into the game. I've known all about Lavos the alien manipulator thing since long before I played the game. In addition to that the story was pretty straightforward so there was very little in the way of things that made me sit up and take notice. The one giant exception of course is Magus being Janus. That was a reveal I did not see coming at all and it cast a whole new, far more intriguing light on Magus' character. I noticed that Magus seemed to be at the center of all the best stuff in this game. When I first got really into the game, it was during "Frog's Arc" when we fixed the Masamune and proceeded to storm Fiendlord Keep. I think that was easily the best dungeon and highest point of the game's storytelling. Everything from the flashbacks of Glenn all the way up to the climactic battle with Magus was so exquisitely done.

So yes, Magus was my favorite character. After him? Ehhh....it's kinda hard to say. I never much cared for Lucca. I know a lot of people like her but she was never that interesting to me. Robo had a nice little sidequst but otherwise he didn't do a whole lot in the game. And Ayla...well you couldn't do much with her character anyway. She's got rather limited mental faculties. That leaves Frog, Marle and Crono. Frog was great for his arc like I mentioned before but he seemed to have limited purpose in the story afterward. I'm sure I might like Lucca and Frog more if I used them in my party - maybe they get extra scenes or a lot more dialogue, kinda like in FFVIII where I discovered Quistis had an actual character. you just had to have her in your party so you would get several more scenes with her and Squall that I never knew existed. Oh, CT is a much better game than FFVIII, I'm just trying to explain myself. That leaves Marle and Crono. Crono has no personality but I did like Marle, even if she was the blatantly obvious love interest from the get-go. I think everyone can sympathize with a difficulty in communication causing strain between you and your parent as you're growing up. That being aid, I have no idea why Marle's mother left that note with the Rainbow Shell....

In terms of locations and the like, Fiendlord Keep was the best as I already said. I also liked the Ocean Palace. I think it wa sa very good touch to keep the dungeon music playing instead of putting in the battle theme. It keeps things "in the moment" as it were.

The battle system thankfully was not anywhere near as complicated as I had feared. With enemies moving around I was worried I'd constantly need to be timing my hits and the like. This played a part now and then but a good deal of bosses are huge, stationary things so it was rather irrelevant.

And now onto music! From the onset I was very impressed with the soundtrack.
Gato's Theme - From the first time I heard this, I knew I was in for an awesome game.
Wind Scene AKA 600AD World Map Theme - It was easily the best world map theme for a long, long stretch of the game.
Corridors of Time - This one doesn't need to be explained or discussed. I think every Chrono fan I've come across knows how great it is.
Tyranno Lair - I have a weakness for evil organ themes okay? Even so this theme probably wouldn't be one of my favorites if it wasn't for how it gets more....intense later on. I didn't much care for the actual dungeon itself but the music made it very memorable.
Frog's Theme - Another "dur" track it seems and with good reason. This song was a huge reason his arc and reclaiming the Masamune was so memorable.
Battle With Magus - Heh, this segment of the game just had all the great music didn't it? Nothing but the best theme for the best character.

I must confess though, I was not wowed by the final boss music... I liked whatever theme was playing when you fight the first form of Lavos, the one that keeps cycling through previous boss fights. There is a segment of that fight where the music gets very light and soft and sort of dreamy... I really enjoyed that.

In conclusion, I give Chrono Trigger an A-. Good if simple and light-hearted story with some nice characters here and there and a very fun battle system and excellent music.

Which is why the campfire scene still puzzles me... It's totally out of left field in terms of tone with the rest of the game's story. The whole meditations on the nameless entity that is possibly making all the Gates appear and whatnot just felt like something out of a different game. Before this, our heroes were just like "time travel smurf yeah!" and the temporal mechanics of this were shaky and contradictory. Then this scene popped up and well...I dunno what to make of it. Maybe Chrono Trigger is like that FF Tactics? They did speculate it was all the dream of a dying creature. It's all the fantasy world dreamed up by some poor cripple or whatever.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Aug 31, 2014

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Secret of the Wind is probably the most underated CT track, that piano sample...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2r1iesThvYg

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Ah, I think I recall something about CT's plot. The first real part of the story has you sort of solving a time paradox but you never do nor hear about that sort of thing again, and then there's the weird Entity scene you mentioned.
From what I recall there was some problem with the writers for the game and at some point one of them left or something, which might explain sudden weird shifts in the storytelling.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Schala is also a gigantic loose thread, she basically disappears and is never mentioned again.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Schala is also a gigantic loose thread, she basically disappears and is never mentioned again.

That's why I like the DS ending, "Dream's Epilogue." I went and got it last night and I call it the Magus Ending because it's really all about him and Schala, explaining (somewhat) what happened to her. Well I guess explaining is a strong word...it's more like we see her again finally instead of the whole thing being dropped. It sure beats the normal ending where Magus just jumps through the Gate and doesn't even have a single line of dialogue.

HGH posted:

Ah, I think I recall something about CT's plot. The first real part of the story has you sort of solving a time paradox but you never do nor hear about that sort of thing again, and then there's the weird Entity scene you mentioned.
From what I recall there was some problem with the writers for the game and at some point one of them left or something, which might explain sudden weird shifts in the storytelling.

Several different people wrote Chrono Trigger's plot and then it was all jammed together. The stuff with Marle and the "Grandfather Paradox" is completely ignored after it happens. It was like "tinkering with the past will have dangerous repercussions!" Then the entire party was like "let's not just tinker with the past and future, let's completely rewrite everything we don't like!"

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

NikkolasKing posted:

That's why I like the DS ending, "Dream's Epilogue." I went and got it last night and I call it the Magus Ending because it's really all about him and Schala, explaining (somewhat) what happened to her. Well I guess explaining is a strong word...it's more like we see her again finally instead of the whole thing being dropped. It sure beats the normal ending where Magus just jumps through the Gate and doesn't even have a single line of dialogue.

I didn't realise the DS version had anything like that, I've only ever played the original SNES version. A lot of the problems with Magus story wise, I think, are simply because he's an optional character, a lot like in FF VII where Yuffie and Vincent never appear in cut-scenes.

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women
Friendly Factory fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Jun 4, 2018

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Tactics Ogre: LUCT... Am I meant to be getting so many successful attacks blocked? This is the third/fourth battle right near the start of the game and it's already frustrating. Should I be equipping new items between fights? What determines if a hit is blocked?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Friendly Factory posted:

It also has gigantic spoilers for Chrono Cross (that the Time Devourer is "powered" by a Schala battery). There's also another scene added in that implies that Dalton was the one who militarized Porre, invaded Guardia and killed Crono/Marle.

edit: Almost forgot, but the new DS ending implies that Magus really was Guile by having him lose his memory. Which makes him not actually appearing in Cross hurt all the more.

Those were all in the PS1 version of Trigger, too. Mostly because absolutely loving nothing in the main game leads into what happens in Cross at all; they had to shoehorn in it at the last minute.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

BadAstronaut posted:

Tactics Ogre: LUCT... Am I meant to be getting so many successful attacks blocked? This is the third/fourth battle right near the start of the game and it's already frustrating. Should I be equipping new items between fights? What determines if a hit is blocked?

Hit rates are bad when you attack from the front. Always attack from the side or back whenever possible.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Back with another Bravely Default question.

So I've gotten to what feels like a point of no return: I've activated the four crystals and now a Holy Pillar has appeared.. Thus, I've been doing the Vampire side quest. Killing the dragons wasn't so bad, but I'm really having a bit of trouble with the main boss now, and I feel that perhaps I should be fighting him at a later date? Gamefaqs mentions having a blade called Excalibur which sounds awesome since I don't have any decent ways to deal consistent Light-elemental damage.

Can I/Should I advance the story and get the next asterisk before facing this guy, is there a smarter strategy out there, or do I have to beat him now or risk losing out on the job he offers?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Friendly Factory posted:

It also has gigantic spoilers for Chrono Cross (that the Time Devourer is "powered" by a Schala battery). There's also another scene added in that implies that Dalton was the one who militarized Porre, invaded Guardia and killed Crono/Marle.

edit: Almost forgot, but the new DS ending implies that Magus really was Guile by having him lose his memory. Which makes him not actually appearing in Cross hurt all the more.

I dunno if they're spoilers so much as connections or allusions. I mean I haven't played CC but much like the stuff about Lavos I've invariably picked up scattered details here and there. The CT cast all die or something, there is an entity called the Time Devourer and Guardia gets attacked by Porre. How all these facts are connected though is completely unknown to me. Schala being involved just makes things more muddled in my head about trying to connect the dots. It's like if you got Page 1, Page 100 and Page 500 of a book - sure you'd be "spoiled" in a sense but hell if you could even make sense of the spoilers you got.

I think I am going to play Radical Dreamers before Chrono Cross though. Wiki says it's a visual novel...is it very long?

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women
Friendly Factory fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Jun 4, 2018

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

BottledBodhisvata posted:

So I've gotten to what feels like a point of no return: I've activated the four crystals and now a Holy Pillar has appeared.. Thus, I've been doing the Vampire side quest. Killing the dragons wasn't so bad, but I'm really having a bit of trouble with the main boss now, and I feel that perhaps I should be fighting him at a later date? Gamefaqs mentions having a blade called Excalibur which sounds awesome since I don't have any decent ways to deal consistent Light-elemental damage.

Can I/Should I advance the story and get the next asterisk before facing this guy, is there a smarter strategy out there, or do I have to beat him now or risk losing out on the job he offers?
You can do this sidequest later if you want to, the point of no return doesn't cut you off from doing stuff. But you can definitely beat him now, if you want to cheese the hell out of him: All of his attacks are physical. The Ninja skill Utsusemi makes him into a complete joke.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

You should definitely beat him now, because if you go into the next plot point, you won't be able to get a number of the job's skills for a while.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

alcharagia posted:

You should definitely beat him now, because if you go into the next plot point, you won't be able to get a number of the job's skills for a while.

Hmm...is it a blue mage-type job?

Unrelated, but I am kinda disappointed at how subpar a lot of the physical classes are. Pirate has good potential, and I'm hoping that Dark Knight is worth the long wait, but outside of the archery class, I'm consistently doing max damage with magic users--especially now that I have the Poison/Exterminate combo, hot diggity drat.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Hmm...is it a blue mage-type job?

Unrelated, but I am kinda disappointed at how subpar a lot of the physical classes are. Pirate has good potential, and I'm hoping that Dark Knight is worth the long wait, but outside of the archery class, I'm consistently doing max damage with magic users--especially now that I have the Poison/Exterminate combo, hot diggity drat.

Yes, it's a mix of drain abilities, charm and blue magic. It's extremely potent once you unlock the right skills for it.

And Dark Knight and Templar are the best physical classes in the game. Mix sword magic in with your physical users too and you can get much more dangerous attackers who use far less MP than spellcasters. The only spellcaster I was using by the end of the game was a spiritmaster/white mage healer.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

You're playing the game wrong if you think magic users are better in BD. They have a super hard time staying relevant next to physical classes.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
The one big trick to making a good physical attacker in Bravely Default is that you pretty much want to be using Two-Handed all the time (or Dual Wield, although you have to build around that a bit to make it really effective). Also, Agility matters as much to your damage output as Strength, since it affects your hit count: because of this, low-AGI classes like Pirate or Swordmaster tend to do less damage than you'd otherwise expect.

Oh, and make sure you work toward maxing out Norende's shops, because once you can afford the top-tier Norende weapons they're the best you can get until very close to the end of the game.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

It's like if you got Page 1, Page 100 and Page 500 of a book - sure you'd be "spoiled" in a sense but hell if you could even make sense of the spoilers you got.

This is pretty much the Chrono Cross experience.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

You can do this sidequest later if you want to, the point of no return doesn't cut you off from doing stuff.

What?

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
Bravely Default gets weird after the holy pillar. You'll understand when you get there.

But do try to get vampire first, because like somebody said, you won't be able to get some of the skills later.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Yeah, it's framed as a point of no return, but...things happen.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

~*~spoilers~*~ happen, poo poo gets weird.

TheresNoThyme
Nov 23, 2012
If you had to recommend a recent rpg/srpg on merits of gameplay/difficulty what would you guys suggest? Preferably on PC since I don't have a console atm.

I was looking for something to kill some time with and it occurred to me that I really haven't been interested in, like, any rpg or srpg games from the past few years. For instance I watched some youtubes of Bravely Default and it seemed like it would get old quick if you'd ever played a FF game before. Is there anything recent that will give me something fun/challenging/ridiculously obtuse in the spirit of games like TWEWY / Unlimited Saga?

TheresNoThyme fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Sep 1, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TheresNoThyme posted:

If you had to recommend a recent rpg/srpg on merits of gameplay/difficulty what would you guys suggest? Preferably on PC since I don't have a console atm.

I was looking for something to kill some time with and it occurred to me that I really haven't been interested in, like, any rpg or srpg games from the past few years. For instance I watched some youtubes of Bravely Default and it seemed like it would get old quick if you'd ever played a FF game before. Is there anything recent that will give me something fun/challenging in the spirit of games like TWEWY / Unlimited Saga?

Pick up Trails in the Sky. It's on Steam. It isn't particularly hard but it's fun to play.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
If you liked Unlimited Saga, you might want to look into The Last Remnant. It took huge inspiration from the Saga series.

The game is full of unique, though a bit obtuse, systems. You might want to consult a wiki just to learn the ropes of it.

EDIT: Trails in the Sky is also great, but doesn't get hard until new game plus where you can unlock some incredibly difficult difficulty options (some bosses literally take luck to beat on nightmare.)

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(
People like that Shadowrun thing, right?

also Agarest. Do it.

E: But for real, Trails in the Sky rules.

TheresNoThyme
Nov 23, 2012
Cool, thanks. I saw Trails in the Sky mentioned earlier and it seemed a little too cliche-jrpg for me, but enough people keep mentioning that it's fun to play so I will dig up some videos and check it out.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The plot is fairly cliche JRPG but it's executed well, and the battle system is actually a neat twist on standard JRPG formula with a lot of focus on manipulating turn order. A cool magic system, too.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

TheresNoThyme posted:

Cool, thanks. I saw Trails in the Sky mentioned earlier and it seemed a little too cliche-jrpg for me, but enough people keep mentioning that it's fun to play so I will dig up some videos and check it out.
There's a screenshot LP of the game in the archive if you're interested. Here.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

ImpAtom posted:

Pick up Trails in the Sky. It's on Steam. It isn't particularly hard but it's fun to play.

Plus, once you beat it, you can start a new game at an increased difficulty level, and choose what options/benefits to carry over. There's a Hard and Nightmare mode, and the hard one is definitely much harder, as the enemies get a 20% stat boost.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Endorph posted:

The plot is fairly cliche JRPG but it's executed well, and the battle system is actually a neat twist on standard JRPG formula with a lot of focus on manipulating turn order. A cool magic system, too.

See, it wasn't that cliche in 2004 when it came out. That said, yes, definitely get it, it's a great game, and PC version is best by far, IMO.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Mokinokaro posted:

If you liked Unlimited Saga, you might want to look into The Last Remnant. It took huge inspiration from the Saga series.

Everyone should like The Last Remnant on PC, it rules and is a very unique breath of fresh air provided you don't do something stupid like try to complete absolutely everything on your first playthrough.

(No-one liked Unlimited SaGa except me.)

(With significantly good reason.)

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Don't touch the 360 version though, it's basically a beta that never got patched into the full game.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Stelas posted:

Everyone should like The Last Remnant on PC, it rules and is a very unique breath of fresh air provided you don't do something stupid like try to complete absolutely everything on your first playthrough.

(No-one liked Unlimited SaGa except me.)

(With significantly good reason.)
I'm a huge fan of the SaGa series, to the point that I actually know and understand all the bullshit mechanics in Frontier 1, and even I couldn't enjoy Unlimited. After spending a good 3 hours of my life watching tutorial videos on how to play it. :saddowns:

Speaking of which, does anyone know any games that scratch the SaGa itch? It seems like the series has gone to the mobile death Wild ARMs, Breath of Fire, and Suikoden got, and I need me some obtuse mechanics and tech learning in combat. I've played The Last Remnant.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Duke Zeira's battle quip about retarded soldiers :allears:

Vanguard Bandits is super cool, the battles load fast which is like the best poo poo ever. So far Bastion is MVP and I have a feeling this gap will only widen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

Million Ghosts posted:

Duke Zeira's battle quip about retarded soldiers :allears:

Vanguard Bandits is super cool, the battles load fast which is like the best poo poo ever. So far Bastion is MVP and I have a feeling this gap will only widen.

Yeah Bastion is deliberately meant to be OP, but one character is far stupider and I'd say flat out broken. You get to use that character for the entirety of the Empire path, and it's sort of a cakewalk as a result.

Other characters can catch up when you unlock their unique attacks (Andrew for example), but otherwise Bastion dominates the normal path.