Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Anyone who had Bioshock 2 prior to the steamworks transition got Minerva's Den for free. The triple pack may have it, it just may not say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
It doesn't. Probably because it's the only truly good bit of Bioshock, so they gotta make that money.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah it definitely doesn't have it, if I go into the downloaded content it's not there and if I check the store page in Steam it doesn't say I own it.

I should have checked for myself obviously when I bought it, but I just assumed that a collector's pack of the three games would include the DLC.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
I played menerva's den and thought it was okay but don't see why people go out of their way to recommend it

On another note I just burned through half of bully and it's as good add people say

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.

Boody posted:

Just purchased some steam funds via paypal to buy some items from the marketplace to find I can't use the marketplace. I was aware they block access to the marketplace for 7 days when you add a new card but I've been using the same paypal account for steam purchases for at least 5 years. Does this really happen with every paypal purchase and is there anything that can be done other than waiting a week?

For some reason or another your paypal payment triggered automated fraud detection, you'll never know why without contacting customer support, who won't remove the hold and who I suspect will tell you the first part of my sentence and call it a day.

"Steam"

I had to change to a new credit card because my bank sent me a new one due to fraudulent activity and I was not locked out of the marketplace for any period of time after adding funds using that new card.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
How is State of Decay? The vibe I get is generally positive for what it is, and while I'm not generally into survival/zombie things, but all the community building stuff (for want of a better way to describe it) sounds interesting.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free do to anything"

The White Dragon posted:

Dear Steam Thread,

Please help me make Alpha Protocol run. I'm using Windows 7 64-bit and it crashes once I choose "Play" from the splash menu. I already tried the weird "harvest dlls from System32" trick.

That sucks, I finished it on a Windows 7 64-bit yesterday, but I believe it's still a little janky for some. How's the rest of your setup?

My review: http://steamcommunity.com/id/ghost_of_bukowski/recommended/34010

quote:

Imagine, if you will, a combination of early Splinter Cell and Deus Ex: HRs little brother, with a drop of occasional Saints Row humor choices in your dialogue options - all presented in a janky but "holy-poo poo-this-is-fun" package.

That's Alpha Protocol, a game where your actions and attitude actually impacts the story and peoples' reactions to you, for good or worse. Yes, this is the game that actually DELIVERS on the promises of so many other RPG-likes.

My first playthrough ended with me maxing out my stealth skill, enabling me to knife party my way through enemies as a ghostly apparition. My dialogue choices consisted mostly of flirting when inappropriate, threatening with executions (sometimes before enforcing them), and punching people who I believed deserved it.

I have 400+ games in my backlog, and all I can think about at the moment, is how I'm gonna play THIS game again next.

Also, when in doubt (as I had to learn the hard way, and with a little help), remember that the answer to:
-world hunger
-environmental pollution
-the financial crisis
-your John Smith small penis that needs 3 inches RIGHT NOW
-space exploration
-and a happy life in general

...is Chain Shooting.

So write that down for when you're gonna play Alpha Pro...
Oh, who am I kidding, you're gonna play it right now, of course!

Orv
May 4, 2011

The Deadly Hume posted:

How is State of Decay? The vibe I get is generally positive for what it is, and while I'm not generally into survival/zombie things, but all the community building stuff (for want of a better way to describe it) sounds interesting.

The building stuff isn't deep enough to satisfy you if you have zero initial interest in survival games. It's all just straight "Get X of Y resource, build Z for small upgrades" chains, nothing complex.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

ImPureAwesome posted:

I played menerva's den and thought it was okay but don't see why people go out of their way to recommend it

On another note I just burned through half of bully and it's as good add people say

Bully really is a great little game. The attention to detail they put into the world is great, especially with the students who are written in such a way that pretty much anyone who went to school can recognize some/all of them.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

The Deadly Hume posted:

I played through it most of it a few weeks ago and thought it was good. About 20 hours of fun running through the campaign and making my stronghold more and more unassailable before getting bored of repetitive generated missions.

I found the community aspects of switching between character stuff kinda pointless beyond emotional attachment and run distance though as basic melee everyone has trivalizes most threats and guns attract attention so stat differences don't matter much as positioning. Sometimes you'll miss out on a buff because you can't find someone who can cook/fitness/doctor/etc I guess

Snackula
Aug 1, 2013

hedgefund wizard

The Deadly Hume posted:

It's kind of uneven, on one hand you can do amazing and exciting things like relocate your entire base halfway across the map and people actually have stories going on in the background while you're out dicking around but at the same time your day-to-day routine is super repetitive and boring 'clear out these houses', 'guy X is depressed again take him to the dedicated feels area and have a chat' 'we absolutely need to scavenge eight boxes of penicillin a day to sustain 12 people, none of whom are sick'. It feels like the world's most promising Early Access game.

What finally turned me off it was the mechanic where things happen while you aren't playing, like if you don't play for a couple of days all the food is gone and everyone's super pissed when you log back in. I don't really need that kind of hassle?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
You do know that mechanic caps at 3 days right? Once you have a few outposts it becomes meaningless outside of construction.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Infinite Space III: Sea of Stars is the daily deal on IndieGameStand for a minimum of $1 (or tenner to get all the games). Anyone played it? I loved the previous iterations but ever since they announced the transition to 3D I'm cautious of expecting too much of it.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
Just booted up Resident Evil 5 and I'm actually having a good time with it. I thought this game was supposed to be very lovely, so I'm probably doing something wrong?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Downs Duck posted:

Just booted up Resident Evil 5 and I'm actually having a good time with it. I thought this game was supposed to be very lovely, so I'm probably doing something wrong?

5 is a fun game, especially coop, but you will not get the same response from RE purists. (Though I don't think anyone here is that kind of crazy.)

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

The White Dragon posted:

Dear Steam Thread,

Please help me make Alpha Protocol run. I'm using Windows 7 64-bit and it crashes once I choose "Play" from the splash menu. I already tried the weird "harvest dlls from System32" trick.

I just tried to start playing this recently too and ran into the same problem. On an Nvidia card, you need to uninstall or disable PhysX entirely to fix the crashes.

After that, it seemed like all was well but a new problem popped up the second time I tried to play the game. It completely stopped displaying what the buttons corresponded to in each dialogue choice ("Suave", "Professional", etc). Further googling revealed it was something to do with the anti-aliasing, but I had to fiddle with a bunch of settings to fix it. I think I had to go into Nvidia Control Panel and change one of the anti-aliasing settings to Application-controlled or something like that. Good luck.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

SelenicMartian posted:

Not without a "years of service" badge. Just how bad is that yearly average?

10 years. The picture links to my profile.

I was there during the fall of WON.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005

Shock Trooper posted:

I just tried to start playing this recently too and ran into the same problem. On an Nvidia card, you need to uninstall or disable PhysX entirely to fix the crashes.

After that, it seemed like all was well but a new problem popped up the second time I tried to play the game. It completely stopped displaying what the buttons corresponded to in each dialogue choice ("Suave", "Professional", etc). Further googling revealed it was something to do with the anti-aliasing, but I had to fiddle with a bunch of settings to fix it. I think I had to go into Nvidia Control Panel and change one of the anti-aliasing settings to Application-controlled or something like that. Good luck.

Bummed out to hear you guys having problems, no one should be kept from playing AP.

I played it with a Nvidia GTX275 and just installed the latest drivers (340.52) for it. I do have PhysX installed and set to "Auto Select" (recommended) in my Nvidia Control Panel, whatever that means.

The game "froze" sometimes when I was hacking a computer or something, but it was only for a few seconds.

EDIT: On closer inspection it seems I have both a Nvidia PhysX (Legacy) along with Nvidia PhysX System Software. I recall having some problem with a game before (not sure which one) and I might have had to download some Legacy PhysX to make that other game work.

Downs Duck fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Aug 31, 2014

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Malek posted:

10 years. The picture links to my profile.

I was there during the fall of WON.

'sup 10 year buddy.

Still carrying the torch of WON. It was better, damnit.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

SynthOrange posted:

Wow Darkwind is pretty great for a strategic turn based car combat game.

Too bad everything else that isnt the strategic car combat stuff is absolute rear end. The interface to get into the action is atrocious.

I installed it for Playfire rewards last week and literally couldn't figure out how to play a game. I created my profile and then was just staring at this screen of the ugliest menus I've ever seen, none of which seemed to have any relationship to "play game".

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Fart of Presto posted:

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the way the tutorial worked, were the actual attacks, and just before release they were thankfully replaced with what we got. They just never changed the tutorials.

I think one thing that would have made That One Fart (you know the one) in the tutorial go a lot better is if the game explained that it's a distraction tactic and not a "weapon". I thought I literally had to make it go off on the teacher so I kept pushing the right stick up early. I had no idea that you had to just keep it going until it specifically tells you to press the right stick up. But then knowing how the move works in the rest of the game it makes sense.

It's still way too involved considering how easy it is to use later on.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005

Orv posted:

5 is a fun game, especially coop, but you will not get the same response from RE purists. (Though I don't think anyone here is that kind of crazy.)

Missed your post the first time. Yeah, it's delightfully better than what I expected from reading all the hate it got.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
RE5 is a good game, but a bad Resident Evil.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Downs Duck posted:

It's a better game than RE4 or RE6, it just lost the novelty value of 4 and has really offensively dumb partner AI (but still not dumb enough that it makes it impossible to beat the game).

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Lemon Curdistan posted:

It's a better game than RE4 or RE6, it just lost the novelty value of 4 and has really offensively dumb partner AI (but still not dumb enough that it makes it impossible to beat the game).

It's very action focused compared to 4 which turned a lot of people off.

There's also that hilariously racist type of enemy that I will not spoil.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Just finished Hitman Absolution.
I gotta say, the most satisfying thing in this game...

... was hitting the "Delete local content" button after this turd of a finale/epilogue.
What an infuriatingly, insultingly mediocre AAA game.

Loved the showdown against Dexter.
Sneaking past 25+ guards in dense fog, shooting 4 proximity mines, climbing a flight of stairs and there he is, with his big rear end shotgun, facing away from me. Or was it a grenade launcher? gently caress if I know, he didn't fire once.

Visiting a tailor and getting a new suit (yeah yeah, plus some disguises, whatever) counts as a level these days?

Ugh.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Apparently there is a way to hack gamepad support into Blood Money so I'm gonna figure that out and try it at some point.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Counter argument - 5 has way worse level design, worse atmosphere, it reuses all the gameplay ideas from 4 and adds none, has idiot AI that almost forces you to play it in co-op and the item management is so bad you'll be pausing every 5 minutes to make some goddamn room for basic stuff. Oh, and it's racist and has atrocious writing (and not in the cheesy-fun way as 4). No lines like "your right hand comes off?".

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

mcbexx posted:

Just finished Hitman Absolution.
I gotta say, the most satisfying thing in this game...

... was hitting the "Delete local content" button after this turd of a finale/epilogue.
What an infuriatingly, insultingly mediocre AAA game.

Hitman Absolution was a stunning display of a developer having a stroke and completely missing what makes a Hitman game a Hitman game.

That said, the devs have admitted this so I remain cautiously optimistic about the next Hitman game.

The iOS Hitman game is a better Hitman than Absolution.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Quest For Glory II posted:

Apparently there is a way to hack gamepad support into Blood Money so I'm gonna figure that out and try it at some point.

Why would you even want that? the PC controls are much better.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I prefer leaning back or couch gaming, also it feels weird to play a third-person game with M+KB.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Why would you even want that? the PC controls are much better.

What, you want me to sit on my couch with a KEYBOARD in my lap?

Fuckin' casuals. :smuggo:

As an aside, I just watched the giantbomb quicklook of Double Fine's Massive CHalice and the core gameplay looks absolutely uninteresting and boring. That entire game looks bland from a play perspective.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Aug 31, 2014

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Drifter posted:

What, you want me to sit on my couch with a KEYBOARD in my lap?

Fuckin' casuals. :smuggo:

As an aside, I just watched the giantbomb quicklook of Double Fine's Massive CHalice and the core gameplay looks absolutely uninteresting and boring. That entire game looks bland from a play perspective.

I sit on the couch with a keyboard because my apartment is tiny so my computer is right next to me anyway, it's great.

DannyTanner
Jan 9, 2010

Drifter posted:

Reminded me a lot of Shadowrun Returns in a not-good way.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Drifter posted:

Yeah I was actually super interested in the idea until that video.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Speaking of Shadowrun, will the new director's edition or whatever change combat even slightly to be more interesting?

It felt close...but never really strategic. I had heard they had been changing some things around, adding stuff and new classes and UI things. I have only heard very vague things, to be honest.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Massive Chalice looks fine to me and looks like it has kept to what it was pitched as, an XCOM-y Fire Emblem.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Aug 31, 2014

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Mokinokaro posted:

There's also that hilariously racist type of enemy that I will not spoil.

Yeah, this is the major downside. :(

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Accordion Man posted:

Massive Chalice looks fine to me and looks like it has kept to what it was pitched as, an XCOM-y Fire Emblem.

the eugenics thing looks like a cool twist on the xcom formula but i hate when kickstarter games let their backers name everything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Shock Trooper posted:

Yup, I just had to uninstall PhysX and Steam Setup automatically gave me a version that was compatible with AP. Thanks, dude!

That would've been the case, too, because I recently upgraded my computer. My old box used a nice (albeit kind of a lemon) AMD card, but I put an Nvidia card in my new one.

• Locked thread