Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theSquid
Oct 7, 2013

I just got the Deity win achievement. If anyone is wondering how, I stacked the odds with these easy steps (perhaps other people have better ways)

- Duel map
- No city states
- No barbarians
- Final destination
- I am Poland
- The AI is Venice
- Don't try to get the Great Library are you kidding me
- Be Poland and abuse culture and social policies like an arsehole
- 4 cities, max Tradition and Liberty etc
- Put a single point in Patronage, the AI will never see it coming there are no city states
- This allows you to build Forbidden City which you should make a point of doing
- Start dominating the World Congress to force the world religion and ideology as your own, and fail to spread either to Venice
-- Happiness will be tight for lack of trading partners, so pick Pagodas etc for your religion
-- For a similar reason Order for ideology (also Venice trends Autocracy especially since they're going to eventually take the only option left to beat you with which is military)
- Eventually win through Diplomatic victory.

Also, Venice was land locked so that was doubly hilarious. I think if they had a coastal city it would have been much closer because their cargo ships would have been able to reach my ports.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Psh, you're doing it the hard way.
  • Duel Map
  • Archipelago
  • Byzantium
  • Rush Sailing
  • Wreck your enemy with Dromons
  • Capture city with embarked scout or warrior
  • Final Destination

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

What's wrong with playing as the Huns all of a sudden?

theSquid
Oct 7, 2013

Alkydere posted:

• Duel Map
  • Archipelago
  • Byzantium
  • Rush Sailing
  • Final Destination

Fair point; I guess their extra units mean bugger all if they're not naval units.

Still, isn't it painfully difficult to take a city with naval units before, say, the Industrial era?

Moreover if their capital city is built in that awkward way that you can only fit two or three ranged units next to it, aren't you screwed?

theSquid
Oct 7, 2013

Poil posted:

What's wrong with playing as the Huns all of a sudden?

I would imagine that the two starting units an AI gets + its absurd tech and production advantage would make it very difficult to really take advantage of early game military, unless maybe you picked a super passive civ to go against.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Playing an Aztec game, current capital is at 55 population and isn't slowing down at all.

Now I started fighting over being an ally with a city state against Germany. I have 550 influence with them and still not an ally. Is that pretty common?

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

Goodpancakes posted:

Playing an Aztec game, current capital is at 55 population and isn't slowing down at all.

Now I started fighting over being an ally with a city state against Germany. I have 550 influence with them and still not an ally. Is that pretty common?

Just means someone else has 551 influence or more. Never personally seen it that high but it's not out of the realm of possibility if the AI really wants that city state. If you hover over the ally's icon it should tell you how much more influence you would need to become the ally.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Goodpancakes posted:

It can certainly happen - an AI might well have the Gunboat Diplomacy tenet from Autocracy, which translates to 6 free influence every turn.

Bring the diplomacy drop-down down and mouse-over the city state's influence level - it should tell you how much you need to become their ally.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Alkydere posted:

The Floating Gardens are so good that they absolutely dwarf the other bonuses. As far as I know it's the only food bonus that buffs food before its eaten.

Nah, the Temple of Artemis does, too, despite its description.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

I once had a game as Aztecs (with all of my cities on rivers), where I snagged Temple of Artemis, Hanging Gardens, Fertility Rites, Swords into Plowshares, and of course finished Tradition.

It was glorious.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Alkydere posted:

• Duel Map
  • Archipelago
  • Byzantium
  • Rush Sailing
  • Final Destination

Even this is taking the long way around.
  • Duel Map
  • Pangaea
  • Germany
  • Vs India
  • Raging Barbarians
  • Recruit the bloodthirsty hordes
  • Win

• OCC optional

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Speedball did a Deity win with an Information Age start where he took the Futurism tenet in Autocracy (+250 tourism to all civs whenever you get a Great Artist/Writer/Musician) and scored a culture victory. Dunno if that's the easiest way but it seems reasonably unstoppable assuming you can defend yourself against the AI while waiting for your Great People to spawn.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Gort posted:

It can certainly happen - an AI might well have the Gunboat Diplomacy tenet from Autocracy, which translates to 6 free influence every turn.

Bring the diplomacy drop-down down and mouse-over the city state's influence level - it should tell you how much you need to become their ally.

Does that apply to one city state? That's probably part of it anyway. I'm up to 770 influence in this fight with Germany. They are between Germany and me over a large harbor. Germany is a huge warmonger this game so it's nice to have the fight on the city state land.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Goodpancakes posted:

Does that apply to one city state? That's probably part of it anyway. I'm up to 770 influence in this fight with Germany. They are between Germany and me over a large harbor. Germany is a huge warmonger this game so it's nice to have the fight on the city state land.

It applies to any city state they can currently bully.

It's kind of terrible for a human player on high difficulties, but it's brilliant for AIs.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I'm still relatively new to Civ and I think I'm in an unwinnable game. This is my first BNW game, rolled Ethiopia on a Quick, Standard archipelago map on Prince. Kinda waffled around in the beginning before finally settling on a Cultural victory, but now it's 1990 and there's no way my tourism can overcome Alexander's cultural output. I think I'll become influential over Greece in something like 400 turns. Is there any way to salvage this one? I've optimized my great works through trading and am putting out ~240 tourism per turn. I've set my cities to focus on Culture, but other than that I don't know what to do. Alexander's massive collection of City States can sway any diplomatic vote that might help me out. Am I boned? Either way, I'm digging BNW so far.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
There's a straightforward solution, namely to nuke the poo poo out of Greece (or, y'know, use conventional troops). Get him out of the game and you won't have to get influential over him; at the very least, taking him down to a single city will vastly reduce his cultural output and hasten the day where you achieve Influential.

As a general rule in my games, if I see Alexander, he's instantly target #1. You just can't fight his city-state shenanigans otherwise; his unique ability (half-decay on city-state influence) is too good.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Lester Shy posted:

I'm still relatively new to Civ and I think I'm in an unwinnable game. This is my first BNW game, rolled Ethiopia on a Quick, Standard archipelago map on Prince. Kinda waffled around in the beginning before finally settling on a Cultural victory, but now it's 1990 and there's no way my tourism can overcome Alexander's cultural output. I think I'll become influential over Greece in something like 400 turns. Is there any way to salvage this one? I've optimized my great works through trading and am putting out ~240 tourism per turn. I've set my cities to focus on Culture, but other than that I don't know what to do. Alexander's massive collection of City States can sway any diplomatic vote that might help me out. Am I boned? Either way, I'm digging BNW so far.

Do you have the Internet, hotels and airports in every major city, the National Visitor Center, and the Hermitage?

Do you have Open Borders from Alexander and a trade route going to one of his cities? If he has a different ideology, do you have a diplomat in his capital?

There are a lot of massive tourism modifiers available late in the game, so it's fairly normal for cultural victory to look unattainable right up until your tourism explodes and crushes everybody.

If all else fails, nuke Greece into the ground and wipe it off the map with giant robots :getin: Don't have to worry about being Influential over dead civilizations.

EDIT: Forgot to mention: do you have Aesthetics maxed out?

the holy poopacy fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Aug 31, 2014

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

There's a straightforward solution, namely to nuke the poo poo out of Greece (or, y'know, use conventional troops). Get him out of the game and you won't have to get influential over him; at the very least, taking him down to a single city will vastly reduce his cultural output and hasten the day where you achieve Influential.

As a general rule in my games, if I see Alexander, he's instantly target #1. You just can't fight his city-state shenanigans otherwise; his unique ability (half-decay on city-state influence) is too good.

Even leaving Alex alive in a desolate tundra backwater is a recipe for late game disaster, which I learned the hard way. Alex delenda est.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Haha yeah, this is the first game where I've run into Alexander (probably my fifth or sixth game overall), so I won't be making that mistake again.

Yep, Aesthetics maxed out, trade routes to all civs where I need more influence and a diplomat in Athens. I think I'm lagging behind in Tourism tech because I had all of my cities' production tied up in the World's Fair and International Games. I'll try to beeline to those now.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

I actually think Aesthetics is a bad choice for Culture victories. You're far better off getting Rationalism policies and getting to the Tourism techs faster. Same reason Babylon is better for Culture victories than France.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

What does Alexander do that makes him such a shithead? I just finished my Aztec game ( which might be the reason ) and I had more influence over the city states then he ever had. I left him alone the entire game as well. I only bothered to get a couple points in Patronage near the end to help my city state spat with Germany. ( I ended up with 900+ influence before I nuked Berlin and said gently caress you in my spaceship ).

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

Goodpancakes posted:

What does Alexander do that makes him such a shithead? I just finished my Aztec game ( which might be the reason ) and I had more influence over the city states then he ever had. I left him alone the entire game as well. I only bothered to get a couple points in Patronage near the end to help my city state spat with Germany. ( I ended up with 900+ influence before I nuked Berlin and said gently caress you in my spaceship ).

His city-state influence decays at half speed, he likes to take Patronage which further lowers the decay, and he also likes to buy city-state allies, which because of the glacial influence decay will be his pretty much permanently unless you throw an absurd amount of money at a lot of city-states.

Sometimes civs will have a bad start position or make bad early moves and pretty much fail to launch, which may have happened to your Greece, but if Alex ever becomes a remotely significant power he is going to give you a big headache with city-states.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

If he founds a religion and gets it into a CS his influence with it won't decay at all with patronage.

Goodpancakes posted:

What does Alexander do that makes him such a shithead?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j975HNHi_i8

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Gort posted:

I actually think Aesthetics is a bad choice for Culture victories. You're far better off getting Rationalism policies and getting to the Tourism techs faster. Same reason Babylon is better for Culture victories than France.

If you're doing culture victory you can easily do both. You don't finish Aesthetics until the end when you need that extra push.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011
If I get desert folklore I go for aesthetics so I can buy 4-5 great artists and have a permanent golden age.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Goodpancakes posted:

City state allies are extremely effective, but the large majority of AI will ignore them completely. They're free food/faith/happiness/culture/units for a reasonable gold investment, in addition to unlocking Diplomatic wins (which I find the easiest victory to obtain), but usually you can ally all of them for yourself with just occasional gold gifts.

Alex is a dickbag because he actually competes with players for city state love. If you're playing continents map he may well have half the city states locked up in tight alliances before you even meet them. Kill that bastard as soon as it's reasonably possible.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
He also shits out cities almost as rapidly as Hiawatha, in my experience. Which seems to be almost every game. :mad:

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Basically Alexander is as close as Civ 5 AIs get to being a human player, since he actually has competitive goals (expand into opposing players, compete for City States, build large armies, attack weak neighbors regardless of politics). But human players don't usually get massive bonuses to play that let them steamroll their opponents.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Kaal posted:

Basically Alexander is as close as Civ 5 AIs get to being a human player, since he actually has competitive goals (expand into opposing players, compete for City States, build large armies, attack weak neighbors regardless of politics). But human players don't usually get massive bonuses to play that let them steamroll their opponents.

He still doesn't leverage his bonuses as effectively as he could. He'll buy off city-states more often than other AIs, sure, but he'll still sit there on 3000 gold the turn before the diplomatic victory vote and watch you bribe everyone over to your side with no resistance.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Goodpancakes posted:

What does Alexander do that makes him such a shithead?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sC_YNVK9nRg

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
A GMR game recently ended (and I'm hoping to post my AAR for that soonish) so I've hosted a new one. Here are some invite links for joining it:

Invite 1
Invite 2
Invite 3
Invite 4
Invite 5
Invite 6
Invite 7
Invite 8
Invite 9

This time I'm going to try and get as many players as possible, so the game may move more slowly than usual, but I'm going to use a rather cramped map to keep the drama up. One of the games still in progress is on a cramped map and it's been the most fun by far.

If you've not used GMR yet but fancy some multiplayer hotseat, find out more here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/goonciv/discussions/0/540732888809763839/

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Alright, I joined in. Had to increase my game limit but GMR is pretty great anyway so they can have my money :v:

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Well, I ended up losing that attempted Ethiopian cultural victory vs. Alexander. He had 40 delegates, with 40 needed to become World Leader. With one turn remaining until the vote, I went bankrupt bribing the cheapest CS, bringing him down to 38, but I guess he immediately bought them back, because he won the vote on the next turn. I've learned my lesson though; he's not making it out of the ancient era alive next time.

Any recommended civs for a culture victory on an archipelago map?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Lester Shy posted:

Anyone who's good at science, Poland, or Brazil.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Lester Shy posted:

England. Owning several capitals tends to hasten culture victories.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I hear Polynesia is amusing on archipelago maps, what with being able to embark immediately. You might conceivably even get some mileage out of Moai!

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

FUUUUUUUcccck Brazil went a different ideology then me. Whats my option? War?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Goodpancakes posted:

FUUUUUUUcccck Brazil went a different ideology then me. Whats my option? War?

Uhhh, why is that a bad thing?

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.
Good god culture victories are insanely hard to get. So close with Carthage on Emperor but Morocco is generating too much of their own culture and have a military that's as strong as mine. I'm 76% influential with like 50 turns left in the game and have a tourism score of 724 :(

Edit: And I have no uranium. I'm bros with Portugal and Denmark, but Harald is so far behind in tech that i don't think he even knows about uranium and Maria seemingly never has any to trade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Uhhh, why is that a bad thing?

Brazil tends to produce a ton of tourism, which means a lot of ideological pressure, which means unhappiness.

Just beat the poo poo out of them.

• Locked thread