Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

CatsPajamas posted:

If I recall correctly, people had mentioned Brawl and a couple other games where more likely to have issues because the disks are dual-layered. Does anyone know if that's correct?

In any case, I'm glad you at least got Wii Mode working without the sensor bar. Ultigonio, this solution would be a good thing to include in a FAQ in the OP.

Oh shoot, that's right. You mentioned the FAQ some number of pages back, I noticed that but forgot to respond.

I'm still thinking of how to implement the FAQ - there's a lot of information currently in it, but I'd prefer to reduce it to its simplest form to only include things that would be helpful to have around for reference (in the same way release dates are). A lot of things will be asked in the thread without anyone even glancing at the OP, and the majority of people who frequent this thread are able (and quite willing) to answer. As it is, the Quick Start menu provides a fairly functional method to get into the Wii Menu if you find yourself consistently going there for a specific game. If, however, Kilometers Davis managed to resolve their issue with SSBB, that would definitely be something that could be held for reference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Eagerly waiting my latest paycheck, where I think I might have made a little extra. Which means Wii U time, hopefully.

To continue my my run through all the main mario games, I decided to give Super Mario world 2 a try. It's sorta iffy as a "Main" entry, since the SMW2 title was only a Nintendo of America marketing tactic. And you don't play as Mario. But I had vague enough memories to give it a go and blimey - that level design really is something else. Worth the price of admission alone.

What is not worth it is the requirement to unlock secret levels. 100% EVERY LEVEL? That means I've got to collect 20 red coins and five flowers AND somehow have max health at the end of every level. Hahaha, nope.

I never played Yoshi's Story for the n64, but I never heard good things about it. And apparently the Yoshi sequels made by a Nintendo offshoot aren't great either, so I'll be skipping those. It actually works out nicely, Yoshi's Island is like the palette cleanser before I finally start playing the New Mario series.

Also, is there a 2d Mario thread? I was thinking of starting one up, since there seems to be enough chatter here about it.

Will have to give Rocket Knight a good shake sometime.

As for Sonic, I've played nearly every original Sonic game there was, including the game gear ones. Even dipped into the Sonic Advance and DIMPS entries, which are of varying quality. As for the originals, I'm quite fond of Sonic CD. It de-emphasizes speed, and the level design is unlike any other Sonic game. It also had two totally different equally awesome soundtracks - the american one might be my favorite non Donkey Kong Country soundtrack ever.

The original Sonic game is solid, but definitely shows age. Sonic 2 is a masterpiece and maybe the best thing Sega ever produced. Absolutely on par with Nintendo's best. Sonic 3 and Knuckles is sprawling and crazy and epic, but a bit thin at points.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
100% Yoshi's Island is really terrible.

Just go watch a 100% speedrun of the game on Youtube, they are insanely technical.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

speaking of donkey kong country and dkc2.. why isn't it on the eshop?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I feel like I'm being multitrolled.

Yoshi's Island is probably the best 2d platformer ever and 100%ing it is not some impossible task it is the perfect level of challenging.

edit: it's true, I'm responding to trolls, right?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ethanol posted:

It was for a period of time and then was pulled. There was no clear answer given but the most likely reason is there is some weird licensing/rights issues with Rare (who now belong to Microsoft.)

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
100%ing Yoshi's Island is not that difficult. It's also the best platformer of all time so

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

McDonald's Treasure Land Adventure is top tier platformer fun time. My list of Treasure platformers would probably go:

Treasure Land Adventure
Gunstar Heroes
Mischief Makers
Dynamite Headdy
Wario World

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Wait, 100%ing Yoshi's Island is technical and difficult? When was that decided? Gamers these days.. buncha pussies..

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Trent posted:

Yoshi's Island is probably the best 2d platformer ever and 100%ing it is not some impossible task it is the perfect level of challenging.

edit: it's true, I'm responding to trolls, right?

To be fair, 100%ing almost any game that isn't one of your absolute favorites of all time is a pain in the rear end, and when you have to in order to open up several extra levels, that essentially locks out a small chunk of the game for a lot of people, permanently. Those would be the kind of situations where I'd rather just have ponied up a couple of bucks to outright buy the levels as DLC instead of having to work towards unlocking them (since it'd be easier and quicker to just make the money from my job). But of course that wasnt an option, so I don't get to play the secret extra levels because 100%ing is a pain in the rear end and not fun.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Gettin 100% in Yoshi's Island might not be hard, but for me it wasn't fun. I enjoyed the game more after I stopped trying to collect everything in each stage and just played through the levels.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I can't think of many Collectathons that are actually fun to 100%. At some point they always get tedious, even really really fun ones, since you end up saving the boring collectables for last.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

ethanol posted:

Nintendo own all rights to the original Donkey Kong Country games. Probably the first one will be on the eShop to celebrate its 20th anniversary if I were to speculate, that's Nov 21st. Why aren't all Super Nintendo games on the eShop? I don't know. They cost a lot to download one, imo.

Nolgthorn fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Aug 31, 2014

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

The DKC games used to be on eShop, I think I still have DKC2 on Wii. They took them down for some reason though

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Louisgod posted:

Wait, 100%ing Yoshi's Island is technical and difficult? When was that decided? Gamers these days.. buncha pussies..

No, I said the speed run is really technical. Just doing it isn't that hard. It's a pain in the rear end because of the red coins, imo. There's not a lot of rhyme or reason as to where they're all hidden.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Trent posted:

I'm gonna' be real with all of you for a second

I do not like Yoshi's Island.
I prefer Yoshi's Story.

ImpAtom posted:

I can't think of many Collectathons that are actually fun to 100%. At some point they always get tedious, even really really fun ones, since you end up saving the boring collectables for last.
Pikmin 1 and 3, though they aren't platformers.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

RyokoTK posted:

No, I said the speed run is really technical. Just doing it isn't that hard. It's a pain in the rear end because of the red coins, imo. There's not a lot of rhyme or reason as to where they're all hidden.

Oh yeah sure speed run, but trying to speed run a game at 100% that wasn't exactly made to cater to speefing through it will obviously be a pain in the rear end.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

Ultigonio posted:

I'm gonna' be real with all of you for a second

I do not like Yoshi's Island.
I prefer Yoshi's Story.

what the gently caress

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

gay skull posted:

To be fair, 100%ing almost any game that isn't one of your absolute favorites of all time is a pain in the rear end, and when you have to in order to open up several extra levels, that essentially locks out a small chunk of the game for a lot of people, permanently. Those would be the kind of situations where I'd rather just have ponied up a couple of bucks to outright buy the levels as DLC instead of having to work towards unlocking them (since it'd be easier and quicker to just make the money from my job). But of course that wasnt an option, so I don't get to play the secret extra levels because 100%ing is a pain in the rear end and not fun.

I guess, but you're not even talking about 100%ing the game, you're talking about like 85%ing the game because you can play all the bonus levels without 100%ing them too.

Wanting to just buy your way into post-game content feels kind of sad to me. Those bonus levels are a reward, and not a terribly difficult one to earn. I also find it highly satisfying to get the little celebratory music and dancing chalk from scoring 100 on a level. I don't remember there being that many that were terribly frustrating to find everything in, but this is a different game from NSMB or 3DW. Having no time limit and huge explorey levels is sort of the point. Just wanting to blow through it seems like the wrong mindset for the game. Oh well.

TL;DR: C-students don't get bonus levels, sorry. :colbert:

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

100%-ing is pretty satisfying, but the "must have full health" requirement can be irritating because sometimes it means you have no room for error. It's not too hard so much as it can distract from enjoying the game. Different people like different challenges in games. I do like the idea in concept and through most of its execution, because it means the levels can be designed to be completed by most people while still including a challenge for those who want it. Sort of an early version of the star coin/green star concept.

And I definitely had dkc 2 on my Wii, guess I need to check and see if it carried over with the Wii U transfer.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
One thing that Yoshi's New Island did right was making the 3 categories of completion independent of each other. I.e., you can complete a level once with full health, come back later and complete it with all the Red Coins, and then a 3rd time with the Flowers, and you'll get 100% credit.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I think they took the DKC games off the store because they were afraid Returns sales could be impacted by very similar but cheaper games. They forgot to ever put it back up.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Help Im Alive posted:

The DKC games used to be on eShop, I think I still have DKC2 on Wii. They took them down for some reason though

We don't know but it probably has to do with some references to licences that now belong to Microsoft, like the Killer Instinct arcade cabinet.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Trent posted:

I guess, but you're not even talking about 100%ing the game, you're talking about like 85%ing the game because you can play all the bonus levels without 100%ing them too.

Wanting to just buy your way into post-game content feels kind of sad to me. Those bonus levels are a reward, and not a terribly difficult one to earn. I also find it highly satisfying to get the little celebratory music and dancing chalk from scoring 100 on a level. I don't remember there being that many that were terribly frustrating to find everything in, but this is a different game from NSMB or 3DW. Having no time limit and huge explorey levels is sort of the point. Just wanting to blow through it seems like the wrong mindset for the game. Oh well.

TL;DR: C-students don't get bonus levels, sorry. :colbert:

Well yeah, I could definitely put the time and effort into earning them. But if I stop having fun, and it just gets frustrating at some point or if I get glued to GameFAQs because there's always one stupid red coin that I can't find, I'd rather just slap down a dollar because Yoshi's Island levels are absolutely worth a dollar. And a dollar's worth less than me getting pissed off for an hour and having to come here to spew bile all over some poor thread.

C-students might not get bonus levels, but C-students with C-notes do. :whatup:

Kurtofan posted:

We don't know but it probably has to do with some references to licences that now belong to Microsoft, like the Killer Instinct arcade cabinet.
Nothing stopping them from taking those out, like in Banjo Kazooie 360 and the removal of anything Nintendo.

gay skull fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Aug 31, 2014

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Trent posted:

Having no time limit and huge explorey levels is sort of the point. Just wanting to blow through it seems like the wrong mindset for the game. Oh well.
For me, a lot of the levels' paces slow down unnecessarily for not a whole lot of payoff when you try to go for 100%, which is not very good for me since most of the levels aren't very densely packed to begin with. I don't think that paying for them is the solution, I would just prefer better levels (or, levels that are more to my liking, rather).

thedouche
Mar 20, 2007
Greetings from thedouche

:dukedog:

ImpAtom posted:

Mario 64 is fun to 100%, but I think collectathons were the result of attempting to copy mario 64, but missing the point.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Well, even the 100 coin challenges in Mario 64 were kinda lovely, especially on the ones with barely over 100 coins.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
The only collectathons I really enjoyed 100%ing were Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie, though Tooie suffered some issues with level interconnectivity.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

thedouche posted:

Mario 64 is fun to 100%, but I think collectathons were the result of attempting to copy mario 64, but missing the point.
Hazy Maze Cave.

In any case, I don't think we're talking about general 3D platformer collectathons, but really, any game where 100% means collecting multiple different "things."

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Tender Bender posted:

100%-ing is pretty satisfying, but the "must have full health" requirement can be irritating because sometimes it means you have no room for error.

Well, you should have numerous "+stars" items, and there are lots of stars in most levels to find, so I never had much complaint about that one. Heck, there's even the magnifying glass item when you really get stuck on a level.

The ones I found most frustrating were red coins on some limited-play segment like mole tank. Raphael Raven and Prince Froggy are pretty much the best boss fights ever, though, for originality. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the raven level was somewhat of an inspiration for Galaxy. :mario:

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Buying the MK packs put me 34 points from getting another $5 for the eShop. I'd love to get that credit and put it towards SMTIV on the 3DS eShop. This is such a frustrating situation!

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Wildtortilla posted:

Buying the MK packs put me 34 points from getting another $5 for the eShop. I'd love to get that credit and put it towards SMTIV on the 3DS eShop. This is such a frustrating situation!

:(:respek::( 'sup, less-than-five-bucks-away-from-5$-credit-bro. Club Nintendo rewards update in a week, so maybe they'll put a good VC game and that'll do.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

:(:respek::( 'sup, less-than-five-bucks-away-from-5$-credit-bro. Club Nintendo rewards update in a week, so maybe they'll put a good VC game and that'll do.

That's precisely what I'm hoping will happen.

Sigh.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

greatn posted:

I think they took the DKC games off the store because they were afraid Returns sales could be impacted by very similar but cheaper games. They forgot to ever put it back up.

Donkey Kong Country Returns came out in 2010. The DKC games were put up to promote it in fact. They were pulled in 2012. I have no idea how you could possibly think this is the reason.

PalaNIN
Sep 19, 2004

LRLRRRLLRRLRLRLRRLRLR
I had a brilliant time getting 100% in Lego City: Undercover. Had to get some help on two or three disguises/collectibles but hot drat I could explore that city forever.

Looking forward to 2016-17 when I come back to it and replay the entire game for nostalgia's sake.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Why did it take me three years to get around to playing Xenoblade? I've had it since release and only now have managed to do anything in it!

It's so good!

Magnatux
Nov 13, 2004

The surrealistic adventure became my world.

FPzero posted:

Why did it take me three years to get around to playing Xenoblade? I've had it since release and only now have managed to do anything in it!

It's so good!

Yeah that intro sequence is long.

Unoriginal
May 12, 2001

FPzero posted:

It's so good!

Same here, except I didn't get it at release. Still, it took my husband and I over a year to play it and we're now sitting around the 200 hour mark. It really is fantastic.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

Unoriginal posted:

Same here, except I didn't get it at release. Still, it took my husband and I over a year to play it and we're now sitting around the 200 hour mark. It really is fantastic.

200 hours? I spent 120 before I was able to beat Avalanche Abassay and Zanza. What delayed you guys from proceeding?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Playing Xenoblade again, I'm starting to remember why I stopped. Combat just hasn't "clicked" for me, every fight I get into I feel like I'm missing some glaringly obvious aspect or trick and am just generally making things harder for myself. There's just so much poo poo going on and things to do that it's really hard to know what to prioritize, so I wind up just using Side Split and Back Slash all the time. It works most of the time, but then I'll run into some monster that equals my level that starts wrecking my poo poo so fast that I'm not sure if I just stink at this game or if I'm underleveled or what.

• Locked thread