Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Ungeziefer posted:

I've been taking screenshots of orange soapstone messages near NPCs since release, finally got around to making a post about it: Player attitudes towards NPCs

(Warning: long)

I'm wanting to hear some thoughts from players.

You have come to the wrong place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Ungeziefer posted:

I've been taking screenshots of orange soapstone messages near NPCs since release, finally got around to making a post about it: Player attitudes towards NPCs

try but hole

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I just realized that with the Crown of the Sunken King and Strength and Dexterity rings, an sl1 character can wield a lot more weapons now. Totes gonna do an sl1 run tomorrow, might stream it.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
I keep getting attacked by an absolute lagging retard by the name of Death Gankers (yeah seriously, still getting matched up with russians or something) who was using the Heihatchi moveset and teleporting around because the netcode doesn't support that poo poo.

Fun and good, also had a million hp and red orbs as well it seems since they wasted five of them on me

Ungeziefer posted:

quote:

Fun-fact: My partner owns a tank-top exactly like that.

Cool why don't you tell us more about your girlfriend I'm so stoked to read about her despite having nothing to do with anything.

I also like your rant about coffee, as a boring white shithead I too enjoy coffee. I could literally read a hundred pointless rambling sentences about coffee.

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Sep 1, 2014

Doctor Zaius
Jul 30, 2010

I say.
Man, the old whip is actually really good as long as you're packing a bracing knuckle ring/repair powder.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Doctor Zaius posted:

Man, the old whip is actually really good as long as you're packing a bracing knuckle ring/repair powder.

It's really REALLY good at slapping the last of people's life out in pvp too.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Ungeziefer posted:

Thanks for the warning, I'm triggered by long posts.

Rubellavator fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Sep 1, 2014

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
I just started playing the first dlc. Where the gently caress is the second bonfire. I made it to some area where I killed a bunch of ghost knights after destroying their bodies on the graves and died soon after. It is a pretty drat long run from the first bonfire so I must have missed one on the way (I hope) :(

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Ungeziefer posted:

"[Content warning: This post starts off light, and then includes pictures that, while visually non-triggering, contain text of sexual harassment, misogyny and violence.]"

I would say "go back to tumblr" but it literally is a tumblr link :shrug:

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

keyframe posted:

I just started playing the first dlc. Where the gently caress is the second bonfire. I made it to some area where I killed a bunch of ghost knights after destroying their bodies on the graves and died soon after. It is a pretty drat long run from the first bonfire so I must have missed one on the way (I hope) :(

the bonfires are pretty far apart when you first go through the areas.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Some of the bonfires are hidden. The first bonfire in the Dragon Sanctum is in the room with all the ghosts and the spike floor, behind a wall you need to hit a switch to open. The second is in the big room with the dragon butts. The third is in the big vertical area you need to drop down to reach the boss. In the first area there are three bonfires as well, the second of which requires you to hit a bunch of switches to raise platforms to walk across. It's overlooking the entrance to the sanctum.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I made it all the way down to Lair of the Imperfect before I found a second bonfire, it was a goddamn nightmare. :saddowns:

Also the first boss I fought was the Graverobbers. It took a friend pointing out that I can hit the switches to start up the elevators to make any progress. :doh:

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

How do you know that the Emerald Herald doesn't enjoy tongue but hole? Don't kinkshame tumblr guy.

Maxy Boy
Sep 7, 2008

Ungeziefer posted:

Don't worry, I thought this post was great. Those messages make me really uncomfortable too. Keep up the good work!

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
The messages sexually excite me

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

the messages mildly irritate me

the tumblr guys reaction to them makes me wish he would fall in a pit of lego.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I was looking at the censored Spanish words. Drunk, rabbit, subnormal, yellow and mongol are in there.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Alabaster White posted:

"[Content warning: This post starts off light, and then includes pictures that, while visually non-triggering, contain text of sexual harassment, misogyny and violence.]"

I would say "go back to tumblr" but it literally is a tumblr link :shrug:

Get the gently caress out of here. There is no way a real person wrote something like "visually non-triggering." I don't believe it.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Ungeziefer posted:

I understand what you're trying to do here I guess but the conclusion "gamers are misogynist" is not exactly new or compelling, nor is this particularly good evidence for it.

Beard Yawn posted:

Just fought a guy in the arena who was dressed as a Desert Sorceress and just ran away the entire fight, occasionally casting a Lingering Flame until I killed him. Is this A Thing?

Yeah, once in a while you run into someone who's goal is to piss away time. IMO just Black Crystal out, unless you're going for a rank I guess.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

You should've written the tumblr post using words only provided by From.

Anyways, I just learned that if you plunge attack these dudes you get a sweet little animation

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

You should've written the tumblr post using words only provided by From.

Anyways, I just learned that if you plunge attack these dudes you get a sweet little animation

Neat, I wonder if you can do something similar to the giant guys in Brume Tower, is there anywhere that would work to try that?

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

Read posted:

Neat, I wonder if you can do something similar to the giant guys in Brume Tower, is there anywhere that would work to try that?

Maybe the one you get to after falling through a bunch of ledges with crumbling floor.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

You also get that custom animation if you run and jump on the fire geckos in Forest of Giants. I never knew that until I was watching Kay Plays and she just randomly tried it.

Acidian
Nov 24, 2006

I kinda got drunk on Saturday night and found out the next day that I had bought Dark Souls 2 with the season pass.

This is my first time playing this type of game. I spent about 30 minutes trying to make a decent face for my character, picked knight because it seemed easiest, and after visiting the witches I died 10 times to some troll-thing in a "secret passage" up to the witches house. It seems I am losing max health every time I die? I don't want to spend another half hour on character creation, but should I just reroll now while I am still early in the game?

Edit: Also the controls are horrible, and remapping is hard.

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Firmly grasp the :kazooieass:

Acidian posted:

I kinda got drunk on Saturday night and found out the next day that I had bought Dark Souls 2 with the season pass.

This is my first time playing this type of game. I spent about 30 minutes trying to make a decent face for my character, picked knight because it seemed easiest, and after visiting the witches I died 10 times to some troll-thing in a "secret passage" up to the witches house. It seems I am losing max health every time I die? I don't want to spend another half hour on character creation, but should I just reroll now while I am still early in the game?

Might as well reroll. That troll should just be skipped for now, head out to the true tutorial area from the other door in the witch's house and you'll find the game significant easier.

Also use a controller if you aren't already. The M/KB controls are, in a word, horrendous.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Why would he need to re-roll? He doesn't lose anything from dying, and they give you a human effigy right away.

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Firmly grasp the :kazooieass:

Tae posted:

Why would he need to re-roll? He doesn't lose anything from dying, and they give you a human effigy right away.

Sure but if it's your first time in a souls game, you're gonna die a ton, and it takes about 30 seconds to get back to where he was. That's probably worth an effigy, but I don't know, could just be me.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Orv posted:

You have come to the wrong place.

haha, what the gently caress, the first message is literally the best tactic of killing her at low levels and those bunch of 'punching upwards' things later on are gameplay advice. :psyduck:

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

West Ham Sandwich posted:

in a souls game, you're gonna die a ton

FTFY. Might as well get used to it, there's no point in hoarding effigies if you're starting out, besides you can easily turn human for helping people out later. Re-rolling because you died seems like the silliest advice in this type of game.

My only advice is play cautiously and defensively when you're starting out, it might seem like a waste of time sometimes but believe me you'll lose more time if you keep dying because you got cocky.

Acidian
Nov 24, 2006

I died a lot to that thing. I started out with an effigy as my gift, so might as well use that. Not sure why I didn't go with the max hp ring in hindsight.

I think I looted a torch from a dead guy behind a cart at the first bonfire, but I can't find it in my inventory and the bonfire doesn't seem to have a 'light torch' option?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Acidian posted:

IF you don't have a shield on your class what really helps is:
Once you get to Majula (the main town) go towards the buildings. to the right of the buildings is a staircase leading to a rotunda, leading to a spiral staircase. Halfway that staircase is a chest with a decent-ish shield for being free and 5min into the game.
Once you get to the intended first zone there is a merchant near a bonfire, buy the key off her so you can unlock the blacksmith.

After that you should be able to follow the intended path pretty smoothly until you get flattened by the ruin sentinals later on.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Acidian posted:

I died a lot to that thing. I started out with an effigy as my gift, so might as well use that. Not sure why I didn't go with the max hp ring in hindsight.

I think I looted a torch from a dead guy behind a cart at the first bonfire, but I can't find it in my inventory and the bonfire doesn't seem to have a 'light torch' option?

Never go for max hp rings. They are always a trap. To light a torch at a bonfire you need to press triangle or whatever button you use to switch hands on a weapon you use.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005

poptart_fairy posted:

haha, what the gently caress, the first message is literally the best tactic of killing her at low levels and those bunch of 'punching upwards' things later on are gameplay advice. :psyduck:

Seems to me that the only correct thing to take away from messages has always been "gamers will often be puerile" and leave it at that. It seems pretty dishonest that Licia's message of "try stabbing in the back" is this awful thing when her plot point is that she's a back-stabbing mugger later in the game. Creighton's most likely a liar too but he doesn't ever actually attack you.

Lenigrast's poison gas is genius, though. :colbert:

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
You kill Licia because she has a key that you need and she sells nothing of worth. She drops everything actually worth using.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Did someone do a breakdown of infusing? I want to infuse the Fume Knight straight sword with dark but it's physical attack seems to go down more than it should. I'm looking for other dex weapons that are worth using too, especially dark ones, so far I've got the roaring halberd and silverblack spear?

And what the gently caress is wrong with people, I've been sunbro'ing Sir Alonne and I've only beaten him twice now. 70% of the time the host dies with about 3 hits left to win, and I'm on NG++, so it's not even people who've just started and somehow stumbled to that point.

Cyberventurer posted:

Seems to me that the only correct thing to take away from messages has always been "gamers will often be puerile" and leave it at that. It seems pretty dishonest that Licia's message of "try stabbing in the back" is this awful thing when her plot point is that she's a back-stabbing mugger later in the game. Creighton's most likely a liar too but he doesn't ever actually attack you.

Lenigrast's poison gas is genius, though. :colbert:

So when exactly should I try stabbing Chloanne's but hole?

Most 'gamers' are and have always been sexist but this shouldn't be news to anyone at this point.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, nobody's going to claim the playerbase is some bastion of maturity, but it looks kinda stupid but when the messages they're actually correct about is the stuff he completely misrepresents and fails to understand. :v:

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005

Praseodymi posted:

So when exactly should I try stabbing Chloanne's but hole?

Most 'gamers' are and have always been sexist but this shouldn't be news to anyone at this point.

Can't really justify any of the messages Chloanne or the other women get. :v: I'm probably just being a dumbass about it but the part about Licia just made me stop and go "wait, what?" because of her attacking you later on and how she's constantly drooling about how many souls you must have built up between visits.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I think stupid messages are fun, like the skeleton ones.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

While stuff like 'amazing chest ahead' gets old in front of every single woman (but becomes funny again in front of Dragonrider or in DS1, Smough), it's still kind of impressive what people can come up with with the limited vocabulary offered. But hole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Phosphorus
Sep 12, 2000

Ungeziefer posted:

Holly poo poo, this tumbler thing is real.