Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Anyone have a link to the posts that were made around that time that did a series of "Heroes of Capitalism" about Pullman and Max Blanck?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

How do you get anything done as a country?
Like others have said, right now we don't. This situation will not improve until at least 2016 (depending on just how long Hillary's coat-tails are) and may take until 2018 or 2020 (or even longer) to fix. It really is amazing just how much the right hates Obama, it would be funny if it wasn't causing so much damage to the country and even the rest of the world.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The right literally held the world economy hostage to try and get their way over Obamacare.
You know, like this right here. And we might even be going for another government shutdown.

Trust me, we hate this poo poo too, but the Republicans have lots of money and a whole fact-free news bubble on their side, and it is really loving hard to beat that.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

fade5 posted:

Like others have said, right now we don't. This situation will not improve until at least 2016 (depending on just how long Hillary's coat-tails are) and may take until 2018 or 2020 (or even longer) to fix. It really is amazing just how much the right hates Obama, it would be funny if it wasn't causing so much damage to the country and even the rest of the world.

You know, like this right here. And we might even be going for another government shutdown.

Trust me, we hate this poo poo too, but the Republicans have lots of money and a whole fact-free news bubble on their side, and it is really loving hard to beat that.

If Republicans come into power you can bet your rear end that social programs (well, just enough to keep 51% of the vote and prevent massive insurrections from happening) will come back. Well, that benefit their favorite demographics, anyway. Part of the right's current strategy is to make poo poo suck so they can screech unceasingly about how awful things are when a Democrat comes into power. I mean, we elected a black man twice on top of it and look at how much poo poo broke along the way!

I've said it time and time again but the GOP acts like a bunch of toddlers throwing a tantrum after you tried to take something away from them and they just broke it instead. Their attitude is, at this point, "if I can't have it no one can."

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

ToxicSlurpee posted:

If Republicans come into power you can bet your rear end that social programs (well, just enough to keep 51% of the vote and prevent massive insurrections from happening) will come back. Well, that benefit their favorite demographics, anyway.

Ehhhhh I'm not so sure about that. Remember even in 2004 when they had the presidency and both houses they were pushing Social Security and Medicare privatization. It's not just a card they pull out to grind things to a halt when the Democrats are in power. Of course even worst case scenario there's no way they'll get back to even 2004 levels of power, so I guess it's a moot point.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

ToxicSlurpee posted:

If Republicans come into power you can bet your rear end that social programs will be completely gutted and voter suppression will reach unprecedented levels.

Fixed.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Star Man posted:

...on the backs of others.

Only suckers work hard! The smart thing is to figure out how to get lots of other people to give you most of the value they produce!

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Pope Guilty posted:

Only suckers work hard! The smart thing is to figure out how to get lots of other people to give you most of the value they produce!

And if they're stupid enough to do that then gently caress em, they deserve whatever they get in this just world. :911: :patriot:

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

This is a free country and anybody can become rich if they're hard-working and clever enough. Just look at Steve Jobs, Bill Gates, and John D. Rockefeller. Note: if you so much as suggest privilege or luck had anything to do with it, you're just an envious, whiny liberal who is afraid of hard work.

What's that? Why aren't *I* rich? Why, because of big government and illegal immigrants, of course!

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

ProperGanderPusher posted:

What's that? Why aren't *I* rich? Why, because of big government and illegal immigrants, of course!

Pretty much this. Got into a discussion with a co worker about taxes and he blamed the current tax rates on why he didn't make any money and his business failed. I didn't have the heart to tell him maybe it was because he didn't have enough customers or enough work to make it successful.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

OxySnake posted:

Pretty much this. Got into a discussion with a co worker about taxes and he blamed the current tax rates on why he didn't make any money and his business failed. I didn't have the heart to tell him maybe it was because he didn't have enough customers or enough work to make it successful.

Or because he sucked at keeping his business sustainable. Fiscal conservatives really, really don't like being told they're bad with money.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Republicans have been pulling this "labor day is a celebration of CEO's" poo poo for a while now. It's pretty amazing how they can be so outright hostile to the vast majority of the population and still remain such a popular political party. May day is the real labor day anyway though.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

America was basically founded on using racism to create division within the working class. It's the only thing that sustains the republican party and is the reason demographic shifts are such a huge threat.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Depends on what you mean by "social programs". I know plenty of farmer folks in the Midwest who were served very well by the Bush II Regime, especially when it was Republican majority. That's what it means to be fiscally conservative: welfare for me but not for thee!

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Just as a reminder, Wilkow is still the best/worst. This weekend on his 'best of' out of office show they had a clip where he was bragging about getting thrown out of his fraternity's anti-rape seminar for being an rear end in a top hat.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”
This isn't current events per se, but I still found it really really amusing and mortifying at the same time. This is listed on Mark Levin's wikipedia page.

quote:

Levin accepted the inaugural Citizens United Andrew Breitbart Defender of the First Amendment Award in 2013

I really really would've loved to see who was responsible for naming that reward.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Good Citizen posted:

Just as a reminder, Wilkow is still the best/worst. This weekend on his 'best of' out of office show they had a clip where he was bragging about getting thrown out of his fraternity's anti-rape seminar for being an rear end in a top hat.

Why would you brag about that? :psyduck:

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

StandardVC10 posted:

"Anti-rape" is clearly code for limp-wristed, liberal, anti-man propaganda. Obama!! :bahgawd:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Shbobdb posted:

Depends on what you mean by "social programs". I know plenty of farmer folks in the Midwest who were served very well by the Bush II Regime, especially when it was Republican majority. That's what it means to be fiscally conservative: welfare for me but not for thee!

That was kind of my point; Republicans would fare very well and the GOP would hand out just enough benefits to keep power while further disenfranchising the groups that do not vote Republican. It would be a nice time to be a Christian white guy and the system would benefit that class of people greatly, possibly with the extension to one extra demographic to take enough of the vote. They've been courting Hispanics, for example, but you can be drat sure they'd ramp up the war on drugs and gently caress over black people even harder.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Nah, they'll have no reason to gut social programs. Deficits only matter when Democrats are in charge.

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

PeterWeller posted:

Nah, they'll have no reason to gut social programs. Deficits only matter when Democrats are in charge.

Remember when Bush Jr reversed all the gutting of everything forever that happened under Clinton? That was a golden age. :allears:

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Levin is literally calling for a no bullshit real deal crusade today. He's calling it the crusade for liberty

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Good Citizen posted:

Levin is literally calling for a no bullshit real deal crusade today. He's calling it the crusade for liberty

Well I hope him and his grown children, I think he has two, hop on over to the ME and get after it. Someone should call and ask if his kids have enlisted yet with the IDF.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

ToxicSlurpee posted:

They've been courting Hispanics, for example

Really? How have they been doing that?

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Good Citizen posted:

I love when these guys stop mincing words and just say exactly what they mean. Reminds me of when Michael Savage was advocating for an American "nationalist party" and these shirts started popping up at gun shows:

kik2dagroin
Mar 23, 2007

Use the anger. Use it.

Zwabu posted:

Really? How have they been doing that?

Limbaugh's on vacation so I am taking a much needed break from RW media... except for the freep thread of course :unsmigghh:

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

GROVER CURES HOUSE posted:

"Anti-rape" is clearly code for limp-wristed, liberal, anti-man propaganda. Obama!! :bahgawd:

"Anti-Rape" is code word for "Anti-White"

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
That moment would've been significantly less stupid if Rubio didn't feel the need to eyeball the camera like maaaaybe you won't notice this

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Good Citizen posted:

Ah yes, because crusades have always worked out so well for Jewish folks like Levin in the past.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

Rhesus Pieces posted:

I love when these guys stop mincing words and just say exactly what they mean. Reminds me of when Michael Savage was advocating for an American "nationalist party" and these shirts started popping up at gun shows:

The gadsden snake looks like it was tread on with an American flag print steamroller.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

GROVER CURES HOUSE posted:

Remember when Bush Jr reversed all the gutting of everything forever that happened under Clinton? That was a golden age. :allears:

I didn't mean that they'd restore cuts already made, just that they'd no longer need to threaten further gutting to get their way. :smith:

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

Whiteycar posted:

"Anti-Rape" is code word for "Anti-White"

Anti-Rape is code for Anti-Male. Admittedly, the majority of the people making this argument are also white.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

StandardVC10 posted:

Part of the world view frequently espoused is that there are good guys and bad guys, and the only to stop bad guys is good guys with guns. Rapists are bad guys, so educating them at a seminar will do nothing. Non-rapists are good guys, so they don't need a seminar to begin with. This whole anti-rape seminar is just an exercise in academic, ivory tower wankery and a complete waste of time and effort. You want to reduce rape? Go buy a gun.

Which completely misses the point that in like 2/3 of all rapes the attacker is someone known to the victim, not some random stranger who jumps out of a dark alley and that a fair amount of rapes are some form of date rape where it's either not clear the victim should have shot or might be incapacitated before hand. Still, that's why you'd brag about that. Getting thrown out of anything that supports the not-as-far-right as the RW world view becomes a badge of honor, because it means you were resisting something from the "left"/left.

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.
Is this real? Tuned into Herman Cain today. Caller phoned in upset over the fact 'they' are not teaching writing in cursive anymore in elementary school. Why is that a problem? Because how will children be able to read cursive? So...? Well the Constitution is written in cursive. Are people really worried about this for this reason?

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Rip Testes posted:

Is this real? Tuned into Herman Cain today. Caller phoned in upset over the fact 'they' are not teaching writing in cursive anymore in elementary school. Why is that a problem? Because how will children be able to read cursive? So...? Well the Constitution is written in cursive. Are people really worried about this for this reason?

Yes, not teaching writing cursive is a thing in some places and old people are very upset at the idea that something they once were taught is now useless.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Republicans posted:

Yes, not teaching writing cursive is a thing in some places and old people are very upset at the idea that something they once were taught is now useless.

From the perspective of someone in education: it's beginning to approach a miracle that we still teach writing period with all the No Child Left Behind bullshit and standardized testing obsession that got started around the same time.

/rant

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Rip Testes posted:

I've heard some aged 45+ lamenting the lack of cursive because it's faster for writing long passages like transcriptions. Beyond that, it seems relatively unimportant unless you have a professor who hates computers and you can't devise your own shorthand.

There's probably a good anti-cursive justification for disabilities like Tourette's and nerve disorders, I knew a guy with a little printer keyboard in middle school and he'd never pull off cursive.

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.

Republicans posted:

I've heard about people being upset about cursive, but I've never heard the reason why before, though and apparently it's because the Constitution will no longer be readable.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Personally I'm upset that they don't teach cuneiform any more, how else will kids learn to read the Code of Hammurabi?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

sweart gliwere posted:

I've heard some aged 45+ lamenting the lack of cursive because it's faster for writing long passages like transcriptions. Beyond that, it seems relatively unimportant unless you have a professor who hates computers and you can't devise your own shorthand.

There's probably a good anti-cursive justification for disabilities like Tourette's and nerve disorders, I knew a guy with a little printer keyboard in middle school and he'd never pull off cursive.

You can count me in on the can't really do cursive thing. I have issues with fine motor skills and went to occupational therapy for it for years. WHen I was in school I had to get permission from the district to use print instead of cursive because of that (and my print really wasn't great either)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Really? I just have plain old terrible handwriting and cursive makes it that much harder to read. So, I just wrote everything in basic print and never had a complaint. People were all like "Everything you write has to be in cursive!" but no one ever bothered to enforce it. Teachers are people too and that means they are generally going to be OK with making their job easier to do.

I still think we should bring back Fraktur. This will prevent nearsightedness and a host of other problems that are currently destroying our society and can be tracked back to Italian script.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antiqua%E2%80%93Fraktur_dispute