Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Fat Samurai posted:

DumbRodent has just finished the main run of Outlast.

Seconding this. Best horror game LP I've watched to date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Gym badge day is a VERY dangerous day!

axelsoar posted:

I'm looking for a good surreal/creepy LP in the vein of The Void (CannibalK9 did an excellent LP of this, the guy really knew when to let the game speak for itself and when to add his own touch)/ Yume Nikki / Silent Hill, preferably an informative style, no scare-cam.

Also, looking for a narrative LP in like Avalon Code by Didja Redo, he took a game with a really interesting concept and a piss-poor execution and bland story, and gave it a great story.

Pretty much anything by Niggurath. He's done all of the Silent Hills, the first two Dead Space games, and is currently going through the Fatal Frame series.
Every once in a while, he ventures into something obscure, like Day of Crisis, but generally he sounds like he's right up your alley.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Ghostwoods posted:

Seconding this. Best horror game LP I've watched to date.
On the same topic, davidspackage is about done with a Machine for Pigs, and it's an amazing subtitled LP :v:

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

I'm really enjoying this, thank you. Are there any other good glitch LPs (especially video LPs)? I've seen the ones of FFVI and Pokemon Blue.

SWMadness
Jul 16, 2011

Excellent.
Gabriel Pope's Final Fantasy II playthrough is also a glitch-heavy LP that seeks to break the game's battle mechanics over one knee in entertaining ways.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Clockwork Rocktapus posted:

I just watched through this one of Phantasmagoria and it seems like what you're looking for. It's an old 90s point and click game with a really good creepy atmosphere. Some of it hasn't aged too well but I'd say overall it's a spooky/surreal game to check out.

I would say Phantasmagoria really really hasn't aged well (if it was ever good), but the 99% unrelated "sequel", A Puzzle of Flesh is significantly better and worth a watch.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
Just finished the Outlast LP, that was really great and the best take on a horror LP I have seen. Really looking forward to him finishing the DLC.

Sneaky Fast
Apr 24, 2013

Vexation's play through of Grim Fandango is fantastic. Vexation clearly knows the game inside and out and shows all the best lines.

I do however say playthrough for a reason. There no commentary. As the LPer says the game needs none, the Lucasart's classic stands on its own. The story is executed with great aplomb, combining Day of the Dead mythos, film noir and mixed with tasteful and delightful humor (plenty of dadish jokes but nothing off color). Manny Calavera is immensely likable character who is filled with life :clint: He is perhaps my favorite Video game character of all time. Manny is a cool cat helping a dame who's jammed up in the worst way. Please do yourself a favor, and discover the masterpiece that is Grim Fandango.

Sneaky Fast fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Aug 27, 2014

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Sneaky Fast posted:

Vexation's play through of Grim Fandango is fantastic. Vexation clearly knows the game inside and out and shows all the best lines.

I do however say playthrough for a reason. There no commentary. As the LPer says the game needs none, the Lucasart's classic stands on its own. The story is executed with great aplomb, combining Day of the Dead mythos, film noir and mixed with tasteful but delightful humor (plenty of dadish jokes but nothing off color). Manny Calavera is immensely likable character who is filled with life :clint: He is perhaps my favorite Video game character of all time. Manny is a cool cat helping a dame who's jammed up in the worst way. Please do yourself a favor, and discover the masterpiece that is Grim Fandango.

Seconded. I'm normally not a big fan of zero-commentary LP's, but Grim Fandango very quickly establishes itself as needing no commentary. It really is a fantastic game and Vexation shows off everything.

Captain Frigate
Apr 30, 2007

you cant have it, you dont have nuff teef to chew it

Tin Hat posted:

I'm really enjoying this, thank you. Are there any other good glitch LPs (especially video LPs)? I've seen the ones of FFVI and Pokemon Blue.

SwordlessLink on Youtube does some excellent glitch runs of old N64 games.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
What was that one Eastern-European game about a guy in a miserable mining town who sells his soul to the devil just to get some beer?

Where pretty much all the conflict is based around just wanting a goddamn beer?

I remember a LP of it on here and I don't remember if it finished.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

What was that one Eastern-European game about a guy in a miserable mining town who sells his soul to the devil just to get some beer?

Where pretty much all the conflict is based around just wanting a goddamn beer?

I remember a LP of it on here and I don't remember if it finished.

I suspect you're talking about crowfeathers' LP of Legie! Which I must now read again.

SWMadness
Jul 16, 2011

Excellent.

Picayune posted:

I suspect you're talking about crowfeathers' LP of Legie! Which I must now read again.

Oh my goodness I had completely forgotten that is a thing that exists. For a moment there I had gotten my wires crossed and thought that OFS was asking for Limbo of the Lost.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm looking for some let's plays where the person doing them is crazy good at the game and just breaks it apart. Like they know every nook and cranny of the game, maybe some exploits, and they are good at explaining what's going on. I would prefer if the games weren't overdone ones like OOT or mario 64 or something.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Danger Mahoney posted:

I'm looking for some let's plays where the person doing them is crazy good at the game and just breaks it apart. Like they know every nook and cranny of the game, maybe some exploits, and they are good at explaining what's going on. I would prefer if the games weren't overdone ones like OOT or mario 64 or something.

http://lparchive.org/Super-Meat-Boy/

Super Meat Boy by Psychedelic Eyeball. Might be a bit light on description, but the commentary is great and he makes the game look easy. Doesn't really break the game though.
Then Wugga comes in and does a well-explained no-death run through the entire game.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Danger Mahoney posted:

http://lparchive.org/Cold-Fear/

Giragast does a pretty thorough and informative run through of what is easily an overlooked (and for good reason) survival horror game. It's basically Resident Evil on a boat, but Giragast breaks it down, goes into wireframe models and spawn points, and really shows more information about the game than most would assume existed.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Mastigophoran's LP of Eternal Daughter goes into a ton of detail about how the limitations of the engine it was built on worked to make the game both harder than intended and exploitable by a sufficiently knowledgeable player, which Mastigophoran certainly is. The game itself is prohibitively difficult and even the few who have played it never made it far, but when expertly played and edited, it's a brief, well-paced Metroidvania adventure with an engaging story brought to you by a two-person team featuring Derek Yu of Spelunky fame. One of my all-time favorite LPs.

Also, this thread's OP has a bunch of must-see skilled LPs, especially Accounting Nightmare's LPs of the Devil May Cry trilogy and yoshesque's Bayonetta domination.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

What are some interesting SSLPs that are on the shorter side? Looking for something comedic. Maybe narrative, maybe not? Narrative LPs are a lot more hit and miss with me.

My favorite SSLPs in the archives, to note, are the Monster Rancher ones, which are both narratives and comedic!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

KittyEmpress posted:

What are some interesting SSLPs that are on the shorter side? Looking for something comedic. Maybe narrative, maybe not? Narrative LPs are a lot more hit and miss with me.

My favorite SSLPs in the archives, to note, are the Monster Rancher ones, which are both narratives and comedic!

As mentioned a few posts up, Legie is a short, bizarre game with a weird translation and an even weirder story.

Speaking of short, bizarre games with weird translations and even weirder stories, I'd also recommend Jesus: Kyofu No Bio Monster, a rather crazy NES adventure game done by Quovak that weirdly has nothing to do with Christianity at all despite having a spaceship named Jesus, but rather about...I don't even know.

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

Danger Mahoney posted:

This is an excellent description of Orange Fluffy Sheep's LPs.

http://lparchive.org/author/Orange%20Fluffy%20Sheep

I'd start with Final Fantasy Tactics Advance or The World Ends With You.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm looking for a decent voiced LP of the Ratchet and Clank series

Danger Mahoney posted:

http://lparchive.org/Spyro-2-Riptos-Rage-%28by-Just-A-Friend%29/

http://lparchive.org/Spyro-3-Year-of-the-Dragon/

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

KalonZombie has done like half the games in the series at this point if not more.

Here's the first game in the series on the archive. Kalon and Ape are great together and the fact that the LPs are 100% runs never really drags down the videos.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

Lazyfire posted:

KalonZombie has done like half the games in the series at this point if not more.

Here's the first game in the series on the archive. Kalon and Ape are great together and the fact that the LPs are 100% runs never really drags down the videos.

Please remember that as you're watching these, Tools of Destruction is my first LP ever and I basically had no idea what I was doing. It's pretty rough around the edges, ESPECIALLY in the first few videos.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

kalonZombie posted:

Please remember that as you're watching these, Tools of Destruction is my first LP ever and I basically had no idea what I was doing. It's pretty rough around the edges, ESPECIALLY in the first few videos.

How many of the first view are "rough" and is rough like really lovely humor? Or is it bad editting? Or..?

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Turtlicious posted:

How many of the first view are "rough" and is rough like really lovely humor? Or is it bad editting? Or..?

Eh, more like a little meandering, a little dry areas, lower quality source video. It quickly gets better.

You also get to watch them fall in love with Quark as the games go on.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Turtlicious posted:

I'm looking for a decent voiced LP of the Ratchet and Clank series

There's an LP of 2 and 3 done by some people who worked on the games. They aren't very great at the game, to be honest, and their video quality isn't amazing, but I really enjoyed listening to them talk about the games. You can find the LP of Going Commando here and Up Your Arsenal here.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

Turtlicious posted:

The first six videos had commentary done in Callgraph.

Yup. That certainly was a thing I thought was acceptable at the time. (dont worry ive gotten better)

Once you get past the first six videos I think you should be good with that LP, though.

Kaubocks posted:

There's an LP of 2 and 3 done by some people who worked on the games. They aren't very great at the game, to be honest, and their video quality isn't amazing, but I really enjoyed listening to them talk about the games. You can find the LP of Going Commando here and Up Your Arsenal here.

These are also really interesting watches and I second this recommendation! Not really good if you want to see someone be good at the game, or 100% the game, or watch it for the cutscenes, but it's REALLY good for an informative look on the game and it's development process. I've watched both of them twice now.

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012

Mega64 posted:

As mentioned a few posts up, Legie is a short, bizarre game with a weird translation and an even weirder story.
On that note: House MD: The Cellphone Game.

(Well, maybe not on the story front, it's just some House episodes mangled by Google Translate and made into a game.)

Pizdec fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Aug 29, 2014

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

kalonZombie posted:

That's not super uncommon, especially considering that first one was what, three or so years ago now? Maybe four? In that time the expectations of quality have really shot up, for the better, of course. I also think a ton of first time LPs are really rough no matter when they were recorded just because the first time you try to do something like this there are a ton of pitfalls.

I actually thought of re-doing the Call of Duty: Black Ops LP I did here because it has that feeling of "roughness" to the point where I can't really understand why I wasn't run out of the subforum when I posted the videos.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Danger Mahoney posted:

In the active forums, D_W just got done with the first half of his Orcs Must Die thread. I'm not a fan of tower defense style games normally, but the third-person perspective protagonist role puts enough of a spin on it. Plus D_W manages to absolutely trounce each mission, never allowing a single foe to get past his death mazes. It's pretty cathartic to watch if you've tried the games and didn't do to well, and just plain fun to watch in general.

He just finished the first game but still intends to tackle the DLC missions and the sequel in the same thread, so look forward to that.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Pizdec posted:

On that note: House MD: The Cellphone Game.

(Well, maybe not on the story front, it's just some House episodes mangled by Google Translate and made into a game.)

That was perfectly what I wanted (same with Legie). Quick little reads to pop in on my phone before I fall asleep.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Are there LPs of horror games that aren't in and of themselves scary? I'm a big dork and can't handle scary games (or movies or whatever :ohdear:).

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Teddybear posted:

Are there LPs of horror games that aren't in and of themselves scary? I'm a big dork and can't handle scary games (or movies or whatever :ohdear:).

Generally speaking, I think the only LP's of horror games that ruin the atmosphere are of games that aren't as scary as they should have been. That or there's some rear end in a top hat with his head in the corner screaming his face off, but I doubt you'd want to see that.

That said, I can think of one game which is horror-themed but not actually that scary: Illbleed. It's more goofy than anything else.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Any good LP's of Silent Hill that do the series in full and really do justice to the tiny nuances that people who aren't crazy will miss?

Malachi Constant
Feb 2, 2006

I was a victim of a series of accidents, as are we all

Teddybear posted:

The Run Button guys did Slient Hill 1, Silent Hill 2, and Silent Hill 3. Those definitely weren't scary LPs.

edit: These are not 100% playthroughs. It's more just a couple of guys talking about the game about half the time and talking about other stuff the rest of the time.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there someone who isn't the RunButton guys? They're kind of crap at LPing games that are thematic.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Turtlicious posted:

Is there someone who isn't the RunButton guys? They're kind of crap at LPing games that are thematic.

Voidburegers lp of Shattered memory is mostly her and guests taking the piss out of a dumb game.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Teddybear posted:

If you're willing to go there, there's always Khad versus Penumbra. Not saying you'd like it, but it sure as hell ain't scary.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

anilEhilated posted:

If you're willing to go there, there's always Khad versus Penumbra. Not saying you'd like it, but it sure as hell ain't scary.

Khad never took the scary games seriously whatsoever I think. I remember seeing the Cryostasis bit he did here. It was like a descent into madness, and also awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Teddybear posted:

There's horror games made significantly less scary thanks to The Dark Id, like the Resident Evil games and Clock Tower 3.