Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

Peanut President posted:

edit: Why is Montenegro a "?"

Presumably, since countries on that map are filled in by automaker, they can't use color to represent that there's insufficient data. Hopefully there aren't any automakers that use question marks for their logo...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Most Montenegrins drive Riddler Mobiles.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
I'm honestly surprised that the most popular car company in Monaco isn't something a little most ostentatious that Audi...

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

IceAgeComing posted:

I'm honestly surprised that the most popular car company in Monaco isn't something a little most ostentatious that Audi...

I looked this up and the A4 is top with 109 sold last year.
#2 is the loving Mini
#3 is the A3
#4 is the loving Smart FourTwo

I wonder if people just import their cars purchased in another country.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Frostwerks posted:

Yeah but PEI has the smallest population by far of provinces plus rather high unemployment as indicated yet doesn't seem to have the per capita skewed violence stats. I really do wanna know what's up with this and if I had to guess I'd lump it in with either everyone is related to everyone or because it's mostly homogeneous ethnically/linguistically/racially although both explanations probably are closer together than they are farther apart. I mean if Billy Bob Hoskins from lot 21 gets into a fistfight at the county fair with his brother and their lawman uncle breaks up the fight but declines to follow it up with charges because it's a spat between close kin, it seems a little of column A, little of column B.

PEI has around triple the population of NWT and YT and Nunavut.

Small population means high variance, which means numbers will jump around (they could be very high or very low even if the "inherent propensity to violent crime" (if we want to be a frequentist about it) is the same among provinces. A dude tries to kill somebody in NWT and misses and the attempted murder rate goes up by 25%. He succeeds and the homocide rate goes up by 33%. It takes far more murders to move the Ontario rates around.

I agree that there still could be something going on. I'm getting my data from http://www.statcan.gc.ca/ and you see that PEI sticks out like a sore thumb. PEI was the only province with substantially fewer than 1000 reported assaults (the modal violent crime reported); even NWT and YT and Nvt. had more than 1000, which pushes those per 100,000 numbers to the thousands even before other crimes are added.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AlexG posted:

Russia is going to be changing its time zones in October, and going to "permanent winter time".

Russia preparing for permanent winter in october, what do they know that we don't? :tinfoil:

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

ekuNNN posted:

Russia preparing for permanent winter in october, what do they know that we don't? :tinfoil:

Obviously that winter is coming! :zombie:

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Uncle Jam posted:

I looked this up and the A4 is top with 109 sold last year.
#2 is the loving Mini
#3 is the A3
#4 is the loving Smart FourTwo

I wonder if people just import their cars purchased in another country.
The GDP (PPP) of Monaco is 132,000 USD. That's the highest in the world, but 132K isn't Ferrari money; the 'average' Monegasque seems to drive a nice-but-not-crazy-expensive vehicle, while the billionaires are the ones importing all those supercars.

Also, I don't think I'd want to drive anything much larger than a Mini in Monaco.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I'm also guessing the richest Monegasques aren't natives.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
All Monegasques are natives, Monacan is the term for non-native residents.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Peanut President posted:

Wiki:
While Pope Francis has retained the Mercedes popemobile for security reasons and for trips abroad, his reign has been characterised by simpler standards. As a cardinal, he often took public transport. He rode with the other cardinals in a minibus back to their hotel on the night of his election, instead of using a papal limousine. For trips within the Vatican City, Pope Francis uses a plain Ford Focus from the Vatican motor pool. He also drives himself around the city in a 1984 Renault 4 presented to him by a priest from northern Italy.

edit: Why is Montenegro a "?"

Its very weird having a christian as pope. I like it.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Hedera Helix posted:

So this is why the sun isn't directly overhead at exactly 1200.

I lol'd at China being one enormous time zone.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Baloogan posted:

Its very weird having a christian as pope. I like it.

It confuses and frightens me that such a thing is even possible.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Hedera Helix posted:

So this is why the sun isn't directly overhead at exactly 1200.

Spain and France are entirely in the wrong timezone, and should move back an hour. They never will though, because that would mean Paris conceding that Greenwich was right about something once.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Guavanaut posted:

Spain and France are entirely in the wrong timezone, and should move back an hour. They never will though, because that would mean Paris conceding that Greenwich was right about something once.

Actually, we were in the Greenwhich timezone up until WW2 when the Germans came and switched us to their timezone. We never switched back.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Kurtofan posted:

Actually, we were in the Greenwhich timezone up until WW2 when the Germans came and switched us to their timezone. We never switched back.

And you never will or Angela will be upset :colbert:

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

One thing you shouldn't forget is that solar noon isn't at the same time throughout the year, because the Earth wobbles a bit or something. Not counting DST changes, it changes by something like 15-30 minutes over each half year period, then goes back.

I'm not sure about the details, but I know about this because a city near here has a nice digital clock monument that's partially based on a sundial. The clock itself shows two times, the 'actual time' and the solar time. Of course the difference is largest when the 'actual time' is in DST, but even without that, the difference between 'actual' and solar time isn't constant. According to the sign next to the clock, the digital system automatically adapts to this wobbling effect by changing its 'solar noon' daily, so it will always hit 12:00 exactly when the sun is at the highest position.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Count Roland posted:

I lol'd at China being one enormous time zone.

I didn't realize India also used that system.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

The Moon Monster posted:

I didn't realize India also used that system.

At least with India, the time zone they chose has solar time equal to their time at roughly the geographic center of the country, so no one is more than about one hour off, as opposed to China which just decided to say "gently caress the western provinces."

made of bees
May 21, 2013
In fairness from what I understand it's possible it passes through their center of population, right?

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
Austrailia is another weird one: it goes from 8 > 9½ > 10, why not 8 > 9 > 10, it even fits nicely within timezone 9.

AlexG posted:

Russia is going to be changing its time zones in October, and going to "permanent winter time". New map:

Note that the Crimean peninsula is shown as being part of Russia. The western edge is not drawn in, don't know why not.
Also, they're using a different colour for Abkhazia and South Ossetia.
It's nice to see that Russia is finally fixing their weird rear end problem, it's not perfect but it's a lot better than it used to be. :)

Kamrat fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Sep 2, 2014

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

From here.

Nyarlothotep
Apr 14, 2007
Don't fail to see Nyarlathotep if he comes to Providence. He is horrible — horrible beyond anything you can imagine — but wonderful. He haunts one for hours afterward. I am still shuddering at what he showed.

This map finally led me to look up what kale is, since it seems to be the hot new thing, and it turns out it's motherfucking boerenkool? That's the new hipster food in America?

For christ's sake, people. How is this even a new thing over there?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Nyarlothotep posted:

This map finally led me to look up what kale is, since it seems to be the hot new thing, and it turns out it's motherfucking boerenkool? That's the new hipster food in America?

Americans don't understand how healthy foods work so you can sell us a leafy thing and claim it's magic and we'll believe it. See also anything anyone's ever called a "superfood."

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Nyarlothotep posted:

It's just a dumb hipster/yuppie thing. Remember that hipsters would be gun toting tea partiers if they were born to poor white families rather than in the suburbs.

Nyarlothotep
Apr 14, 2007
Don't fail to see Nyarlathotep if he comes to Providence. He is horrible — horrible beyond anything you can imagine — but wonderful. He haunts one for hours afterward. I am still shuddering at what he showed.
It's just funny because over here it's mostly considered an old-fashioned staple food, something an elderly farmer might eat after a long day plowing the fields. Pretty much the furthest thing from a 'fad food'.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Nyarlothotep posted:

it's not new, it's a fad food because all these 20-something hipsters are out of their parents houses for the first time and trying non-traditional vegetables or vegetables they didn't care for as a kid and finding that as adults they like them, combined with it being marketed as a very healthy vitamin-rich food, it's just somehow caught on. Endive/escarole were like this 3 years ago, spinach 6 years ago.

They aren't vegetables that are heavily used in American cooking and have very strong flavors so kids don't often like them, but then everyone talks about how healthy they are, give them a shot as adults, and bam, fad veggie.

edit: also with this hot new fad vegetable, production has only gone up to 157% of what it was before the trend started, so it's been a big increase but it's not like we're sitting around eating nothing but kale every night or anything.

fermun fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Sep 2, 2014

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Also just because people are tweeting it to fit in doesn't mean they are eating it.

Bacon was the hot poo poo fad food from like 4 years ago, I'm sure that map would have been solid bacon across the board then. You can even see how the scale is weighted for dark kale is only 2:1 but dark bacon is 8:1. No state had more kale mentions than bacon, its pretty deceiving.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Tree Goat posted:

PEI has around triple the population of NWT and YT and Nunavut.

Small population means high variance, which means numbers will jump around (they could be very high or very low even if the "inherent propensity to violent crime" (if we want to be a frequentist about it) is the same among provinces. A dude tries to kill somebody in NWT and misses and the attempted murder rate goes up by 25%. He succeeds and the homocide rate goes up by 33%. It takes far more murders to move the Ontario rates around.

I agree that there still could be something going on. I'm getting my data from http://www.statcan.gc.ca/ and you see that PEI sticks out like a sore thumb. PEI was the only province with substantially fewer than 1000 reported assaults (the modal violent crime reported); even NWT and YT and Nvt. had more than 1000, which pushes those per 100,000 numbers to the thousands even before other crimes are added.

I was counting NWT, YT and Nunavut as territories rather than provinces, although I'm not aware of whatever legal or electoral distinctions there are between them.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Northwest Territories, Yukon Territory and Nunuvaut also have a lot of transient people passing through, as in various industries that fly people out in shifts and aren't permanent residents, not to mention some fairly large amount of trucking going on in Yukon. So with passing through populations much higher than actual full time population, crime rates can end up quite elevated per person actually living there.

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

Crime in Canada is actually highest in medium sized urban areas (1,000-100,000 people).

This doesn't really apply to the the territories, New Brunswick, or PEI since they don't have any cities over 100,000 people. Probably a lot of reasons for this: more effective policing and social programs in large cities, higher aboriginal populations in small cities and rural areas, transient workers in smaller cities especially in Western Canada and the North, higher income and education levels in large cities, etc.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

fermun posted:

it's not new, it's a fad food because all these 20-something hipsters are out of their parents houses for the first time and trying non-traditional vegetables or vegetables they didn't care for as a kid and finding that as adults they like them, combined with it being marketed as a very healthy vitamin-rich food, it's just somehow caught on. Endive/escarole were like this 3 years ago, spinach 6 years ago.

Keep in mind that suburbanites are loving cancer and should all die. Reaction against "Hipsters" is a reaction against suburbanites trying to fix themselves and cure that cancer. People need to rediscover foods that were lost, lest we lose ourselves in a gelatin filled world of the '60s.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Americans probably don't even know how to properly prepare kale to get a dish from heaven.

quote:

In the Netherlands, it is very frequently used in a traditional winter stamppot dish called boerenkool, which is a mix of kale and mashed potatoes, sometimes with fried bits of bacon added to it, and usually served with rookworst ("smoked sausage").

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Kale is called Kelj over here, and it's most commonly cooked as a stew with potatoes, carrots, onions etc.. and sometimes sausages.

It's somewhat funny to hear so much about Kale recently because it's been part of our lives since forever. As with most vegetables, kids hate it but they learn to love it once they grow up.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
As long as nobody likes Brussels sprouts, all is well.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Kurtofan posted:

So what you're saying is that there's an untapped potential for brussel sprout tweets.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Kale has been a bit part of Southern/Soul food cooking for a while, it just wasn't a bit thing in the more Northern American states until now.

It may be a fad, but there is probably nothing more benign than a fad around a vitamin rich green. If anything complaining about it seems rather knee jerk, the same thing with gluten-free or dairy-free stuff. I don't know what people "lose" when other products become available.

If anything a lot of it seems to be about introducing foods and styles that got erased during the post-war era in America. I don't think it is a bad thing.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Sep 2, 2014

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Carbon dioxide posted:

Americans probably don't even know how to properly prepare kale to get a dish from heaven.

I know I don't. Baked kale crisps are pretty decent though.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Kurtofan posted:

Brussels sprouts are delicious, you have no idea what you are talking about. Of course only if they are prepared the right way and not cooked to death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Torrannor posted:

Brussels sprouts are delicious, you have no idea what you are talking about. Of course only if they are prepared the right way and not cooked to death.

About 1 in 10 people have a gene that alters the taste buds in such a way that Brussels sprouts taste terribly bitter.

I'm not one of these people and like them, too.

Just remember that if you try to forcefeed Brussels sprouts to your kid, they might actually have this gene and it may taste objectively horrible to them.