Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

So I could use some advice... I've been playing about 34 days and dropped some money on roster spots. I'm playing pretty regularly and spent way too much time getting Patch for the current PVE event. I need some tips and direction though

What should I do to get my game to the next level? My major issues at this point are

1- lack of ISO to level up characters
2- How to best play PVP

PVP I can usually hit 300 points if I get lucky before I sputter out, which will get me a 2 star token at best. I feel like my terribleness is related to my crappyness at PVP. I can grind PVE all day every day though, I'm over 32K points in the current event.

Also any suggestions on what to do with my roster is appreciated. Where should I pump the ISO I do get? I read so many different things on the D3 forum. I've been putting most of it in C.Storm and Wolverine, but a problem I'm hitting now is CStorm is so strong she does most of the damage and then takes most of the damage, and tougher battles she's the first to die.

code:
Deadpool	2/0/1 lvl 53
Hood		1/0/2 lvl 53
Spider-Man	3/0/0 lvl 50
Hulk		2/0/0 lvl 50
Psylocke	0/1/2 lvl 43
GSBW		1/0/0 lvl 40
Steve Rogers	0/0/1 lvl 40
Falcon		0/1/0 lvl 40
IM40		0/1/0 lvl 40
Punisher	0/1/0 lvl 40
M. Thor (Lazy)	1/0/0 lvl 40
Patch		0/0/1 lvl 40

C. Storm 	4/3/5 lvl 78
Ares		1/3/4 lvl 55
Wolverine	4/4/4 lvl 53
Thor		5/2/3 lvl 47
Torch		5/3/2 lvl 32 
Cap Amer	5/5/3 lvl 30
Hawkeye 	1/2/1 lvl 25
MN Mags		0/4/1 lvl 24
Bullseye	2/0/0 lvl 22
Daken 		2/0/0 lvl 15

M. Storm	5/3/5 lvl 50
IM35		5/5/3 lvl 39
C. Hawkeye	5/5   lvl 12
MBW		5/5/  lvl 1
Venom		5/5   lvl 1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Dammit, I was going to do basically that post. Pics, because I'm too lazy to type all this poo poo out. I've been playing for a week or so, and I'm trying to decide if it's worth playing this game without spending significant amounts of real money on it.

Here's what I have:

I also had a max skill one-star Storm who I ditched to make space for classic Storm, still not quite sure that was a good idea. I also have 16 standard tokens that I haven't redeemed yet.

So, who should I keep and who should I drop? Is there any point playing if you're not going to buy a load of gold? It seems like the matching-covers mechanic makes it less and less likely that you'll be able to level up your characters as the number of heroes in the game goes up. Most of my winnings come from playing lightning rounds with Widow and Hawkeye, but I hit a brick wall pretty quickly when every enemy character is level 80+, and I don't think there's enough gold left in story mode for me to buy any more slots.

Acolyte!
Aug 6, 2001

Go! Rocket Kiwi! Go!
I haven't spent any money any this is my roster: http://imgur.com/a/YOXug

My advice early would be to sell 4*s, keep 3*s, and evaluate 2* on a case-by-case basis. The 1* characters you'll see so many covers of you shouldn't worry about keeping them around unless you're using them as part of your core squad.

Goldom
Feb 19, 2009

The governor has given a rats-alert advising people to stay in their homes.
I paid $20 for slots very early on, but since then I've managed to keep every new cover without spending anything. I'm actually rolling in ridiculous amounts of HP right now -- about 3,000 -- all earned from eking out top-100 placements regularly. So it is doable, but probably not right at the start.

As far as who to keep and who to level: Never throw out a 3-star, just because they are a pain to get back. 1 and 2 stars drop like candy these days, so if you need a roster slot, just throw out the lowest leveled one. 1-star Hawkeye, 1-star Yelena and 2-star Captain are probably the worst characters, so drop them first if you have to. (2-star Cap is often buffed in PvE, but isn't worth using outside of those times.) I also never bothered with Venom, but he's not awful for a 1-star.

The absolute best 1-stars are IM, BW, Storm and, especially in the lv 270 tournaments, Juggernaut.
Best all-around 2-stars are OBW, Ares/Thor (they use the same colors, and so are fairly interchangeable. I prefer Ares myself), and then probably Daken. CStorm and Magneto make a great duo, but they are trivial to defeat, so don't leave them as your defending team (play PvP with someone else once before you stop playing).

For spending ISO, focus on maxing out your best 2-stars (and 1-stars, while you still have to use them) before putting a drop into any 3-stars. You'll be using 2s for a long, long time and you can definitely start reaching 3-star rewards with a max level 2-star team alone.

Gregorio
Aug 9, 2010
Agree with drop 1/2 stars all day erry day the 2 stars are so much more common now.

Also the "official" advancement guide is here on the official forums: http://www.d3pforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3939
Repost from earlier in the thread.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Acolyte! posted:

I haven't spent any money any this is my roster: http://imgur.com/a/YOXug

My advice early would be to sell 4*s, keep 3*s, and evaluate 2* on a case-by-case basis. The 1* characters you'll see so many covers of you shouldn't worry about keeping them around unless you're using them as part of your core squad.

I think you should keep 4* since they sometimes are needed for the good missions in single player events.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I hope they try to cash in on the success of Guardians of the Galaxy. I want a Groot and a Rocket.

I also hope they carry on with progression rewards in PvE that aren't too horrible to get but are still good. Hadn't touched the Venom Heroic until today, and I managed to get the Patch. Needed a yellow one.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

How did you get 25000 points that fast? I grinded for 2 straight days to get those points. The last 2 days I've spent grinding to just keep myself above 300 rank to get a red Magneto cover. I'm at 47,400 points now and that's good enough for 233 right now.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Dunno about him, but I hit 25000 pretty quickly just doing the matches that required Patch.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Maybe that's what was tough. I didn't have Patch so I had to grind to get him and unlock those 3 missions. I also entered the event right after it started so I'm probably with the hardcore grinding guys.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

skipdogg posted:

How did you get 25000 points that fast? I grinded for 2 straight days to get those points. The last 2 days I've spent grinding to just keep myself above 300 rank to get a red Magneto cover. I'm at 47,400 points now and that's good enough for 233 right now.

Lots of the missions gave me a whole ton of points for some reason. I think most were 1000+ even after a bunch of repeats. Oh, I did have Patch too, those missions gave quite a lot as well.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

So I'm looking for a goon group. I usually play daily, and I have a few points in some decent 3* covers and I'm working my way towards maxing some 2star covers if anyone needs to fill an alliance slot

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I have spent no money, but I used a memory editor to max out everything.

(this is probably why it won't let me join an alliance... :negative:)

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Kharmakazy posted:

I have spent no money, but I used a memory editor to max out everything.

(this is probably why it won't let me join an alliance... :negative:)

Yep you got flagged and sandboxed. Basically you just can't be attacked by other players, you dont exist on the leaderboards, and can't join an alliance so you're still playing a match 3 game no matter how you look at it.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I dropped about 25 bucks on this game to get more slots. I got my monies worth for sure in the play I've had in the last month or so (compared to other entertainment like a movie, blu-ray, or other video game). These people dropping hundreds of dollars at a time on this game though... not sure whats going on in their head, but these games can be addictive so who knows. My wife would probably divorce me if I spent 100 real dollars on a comic book match 3 game.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Yep you got flagged and sandboxed. Basically you just can't be attacked by other players, you dont exist on the leaderboards, and can't join an alliance so you're still playing a match 3 game no matter how you look at it.

We're both still playing a match 3 game. I still come in first in tournaments. No real loss.

Basil Fawlty
Aug 28, 2003

I AM A FAGORT, HUMP MY RUMP!!!
Are there any slots open in any alliances? I play somewhat regularly to kill time at work, and I usually wind up in the top 50 or 100. My player name is crimbo, if anyone wants to send an invite.

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Blessed be the woodworkers
The crosses and the gallows

Blessed be the forgers of iron
And the spikes and the barbwire

Blessed be the stone cutters
It took a quarry to bury the dreams
Metal Bawkses is still alive, but we don't have slots open. There are a couple of players who don't seem to play anymore so if they would kindly make their slots open, it'd be much obliged.

I'm still in on the game though so much of it has gotten so dumb of late.

Basil Fawlty
Aug 28, 2003

Auritech posted:

Metal Bawkses is still alive, but we don't have slots open. There are a couple of players who don't seem to play anymore so if they would kindly make their slots open, it'd be much obliged.

I'm still in on the game though so much of it has gotten so dumb of late.

I'm not going to be spending any actual money to level up, but as a way to kill time on the train its still alright. It does suck that now that my 3* characters are getting more use than my 2* ones, the game itself is going downhill.

Reek
Nov 3, 2002

every.fucking.year.
new to this but its fun. playing a lot and getting too many covers to keep up with right now. I have:

*IM35 lvl50
***She Hulk lvl45
***Hulk lvl43
**Thor lvl40
***Spider-MAn lvl40
***Punisher lvl40
**Daken lvl30
*Black Widow lvl28
*Storm Modern lvl25
**Storn Classic lvl25
**Ares lvl20
**Black Widow Orig lvl 18
**Captain America lvl 17
*Venom lvl 15
**Magneto lvl 15
**Wolverine lvl 15

expiring soon and waiting to be claimed im looking at

**Moonstone
***Falcon
****Wolverine X-Force
*Juggernaut randoms
2x **Human Torch
***Black Panther
***Dr. Doom

So I'm thinking of dropping magneto/venom/cap/black widow org or maybe ares to bring in the three and four star guys. Not sure if moonstone or torch are worth dropping anyone for. I wanted to train up a jug and venom since there are a ton of easy covers to grab and they are useful in certain situations but I don't seem to have the spots. thoughts??

on a side note if anyone wants to start a new alliance for just mostly new players I would be down for that

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Reek posted:

new to this but its fun. playing a lot and getting too many covers to keep up with right now. I have:

*IM35 lvl50
***She Hulk lvl45
***Hulk lvl43
**Thor lvl40
***Spider-MAn lvl40
***Punisher lvl40
**Daken lvl30
*Black Widow lvl28
*Storm Modern lvl25
**Storn Classic lvl25
**Ares lvl20
**Black Widow Orig lvl 18
**Captain America lvl 17
*Venom lvl 15
**Magneto lvl 15
**Wolverine lvl 15

expiring soon and waiting to be claimed im looking at

**Moonstone
***Falcon
****Wolverine X-Force
*Juggernaut randoms
2x **Human Torch
***Black Panther
***Dr. Doom

So I'm thinking of dropping magneto/venom/cap/black widow org or maybe ares to bring in the three and four star guys. Not sure if moonstone or torch are worth dropping anyone for. I wanted to train up a jug and venom since there are a ton of easy covers to grab and they are useful in certain situations but I don't seem to have the spots. thoughts??

on a side note if anyone wants to start a new alliance for just mostly new players I would be down for that

I don't really see much of a use for Venom. Captain isn't that great (thought 3* Cap is amazing) but I think he still gets powered up for PVE events quite often. 2* Magneto is pretty useful with his purple and works well with 2* Storm, though he's a one-trick pony. Even with the nerf to healing Original Black Widow is still pretty useful in my opinion. Ares is hella strong, you probably wanna keep him. Moonstone ain't that great, and I don't even remember if she was ever required for nodes. 2* Wolverine hasn't been that great for a while, though I remember him appearing as a required node once (after his nerf, when everyone pretty much sold him), as did 2* Human Torch. If you're not too hung up about missing on nodes, then you might as well vend off 2* Torch and 2* Wolverine. Worst case scenario, you open up a Heroic Pack and get them back.

Basil Fawlty
Aug 28, 2003

quote:

I have an alliance with 4 open slots, I made it just to get the occasional extra ISO. Post your screen name and I'll send you an invite - the alliance is TJCJR

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

I don't really see much of a use for Venom. Captain isn't that great (thought 3* Cap is amazing) but I think he still gets powered up for PVE events quite often. 2* Magneto is pretty useful with his purple and works well with 2* Storm, though he's a one-trick pony. Even with the nerf to healing Original Black Widow is still pretty useful in my opinion. Ares is hella strong, you probably wanna keep him. Moonstone ain't that great, and I don't even remember if she was ever required for nodes. 2* Wolverine hasn't been that great for a while, though I remember him appearing as a required node once (after his nerf, when everyone pretty much sold him), as did 2* Human Torch. If you're not too hung up about missing on nodes, then you might as well vend off 2* Torch and 2* Wolverine. Worst case scenario, you open up a Heroic Pack and get them back.

I can't speak to this personally since I don't have mine leveled yet, but Polarity's guide claims 2* Torch is the perfect compliment to Ares/Thor + OBW in a 2* team with his powerful red and active black.

e: also, if you haven't read Polarity's guide yet as a new player, it's pretty great and he keeps it reasonably up-to-date as stuff changes: http://www.d3pforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3939

fishtobaskets fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Sep 4, 2014

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Blessed be the woodworkers
The crosses and the gallows

Blessed be the forgers of iron
And the spikes and the barbwire

Blessed be the stone cutters
It took a quarry to bury the dreams
The new simulator event has a 266 level Thor, plus all the essential in the first round are Beast, who hardly anyone has. But that Thor, man, he loves to whip out his Call the Storm at such the right moment.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

So I just learned about rubber banding and why grinding the PvE events is dumb. Can someone expand on it and suggest the best way to accrue points in the new PvE?

Puweyxil
Oct 19, 2001
I like to eat cheese.
Dinosaur Gum

skipdogg posted:

So I just learned about rubber banding and why grinding the PvE events is dumb. Can someone expand on it and suggest the best way to accrue points in the new PvE?
1) Join Late
2) Maybe play through each mission once.
3) Come back every ~3-5 hours and play (at least) the "essential" missions.
4) Grind at the end (last ~30-40 minutes).

Getting lucky with your bracket is the biggest factor here. I usually get the 2-cover rewards with this method.

You'll notice, this only works if you have the required characters; So it is critical that you always place well enough to win at least one cover.
For events with new covers, I'll probably play the "essential" missions, and a few of the easy/trivial missions every 3-5 hours.
If there isn't a new cover involved, I'll probably only do the "essential" missions.

Reek
Nov 3, 2002

every.fucking.year.

Basil Fawlty posted:

I have an alliance with 4 open slots, I made it just to get the occasional extra ISO. Post your screen name and I'll send you an invite - the alliance is TJCJR

cool that is what I was going for, my screen name is thequin

Sherlock Bones
Jul 13, 2006
;/

Basil Fawlty posted:

Joined, sherlockbones3

Basil Fawlty
Aug 28, 2003

Reek posted:

cool that is what I was going for, my screen name is thequin

Search private alliances for it, I'll approve you asap.

Sherlock Bones posted:

Joined, sherlockbones3

Approved!

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Basil Fawlty posted:

IronKakeru

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Dont do it, alliances are a trap! Soon you're thinking 'I'm letting my alliance down! I HAVE TO PLAY!'

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

SynthOrange posted:

Dont do it, alliances are a trap! Soon you're thinking 'I'm letting my alliance down! I HAVE TO PLAY!'

Well these days the plague of inactive commanders is long gone so you just get the boot if youre in that kind of alliance. Goon alliances seem to have made it a point to be super casual so its all gravy to join any of these alliances and not sweat it.

Basil Fawlty
Aug 28, 2003

Ubiquitus posted:

IronKakeru

Approved!

SynthOrange posted:

I am totally not expecting hardcore grinding from anyone. I hope no one is expecting that from me.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Basil Fawlty posted:

Tried to join as Aciho.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Who'd a good matchup with Ms. Marvel for this PVP round?

My two strongest characters are a Level 78 4/3/5 C.Storm and a level 76 2/5/5 Ares (who is beastly powered up in the PVE). There doesn't seem to be a lot of synergy there though, and I'm losing a ton in the PVP. I can use the rented Ms. Marvel, or I won a 0/1/1 Ms. Marvel in the last PVP. My roster is in a post above though some of the levels have changed. I have a Lvl 47 5/1 Daken ** and a 48 **Mag 0/4/3 http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3574405&perpage=40&pagenumber=265#post434276392

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

skipdogg posted:

Who'd a good matchup with Ms. Marvel for this PVP round?

My two strongest characters are a Level 78 4/3/5 C.Storm and a level 76 2/5/5 Ares (who is beastly powered up in the PVE). There doesn't seem to be a lot of synergy there though, and I'm losing a ton in the PVP. I can use the rented Ms. Marvel, or I won a 0/1/1 Ms. Marvel in the last PVP. My roster is in a post above though some of the levels have changed. I have a Lvl 47 5/1 Daken ** and a 48 **Mag 0/4/3 http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3574405&perpage=40&pagenumber=265#post434276392

Since I don't really have a 3-star lineup yet, I usually just ignore the featured character and focus on good 2-man teams. For you, it looks like your 2-star Storm & Mags should work decent: focus on pinks & blues for polarity shift + windstorm. Ares + MBW might also work if MBW isn't forced into any matches. Hopefully with her @ lvl 1 Ares/Captain Marvel will tank all colors. When you get some roster slots, start leveling OBW. Even after the healing nerf, she's a great compliment to the Red-Yellow-Green users in the 2-star tier.

I don't have a Daken, but I see a lot of Daken/Wolverine combos. I think the idea there is to build up your DPS as quick as possible with strike tiles & take advantage of their true healing abilities to help extend play sessions. They are pretty weak defensively though.

Fellow 2-star roster folks, who do you use for defense? Personally, I'm always annoyed when I have to fight Thor/Ares just for the sheer amount of HP I'm going to have to churn through, but I loathe the thought of trying to attack with them so I have no idea if they actually win fights defensively.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I don't know how I missed it but I do have a 2/2/3 OBW, She's only at level 46 though until I can get some more covers for her. I use her, but she's a bit weat and tends to die before I can get her Recon to fire. Same for Mags, I have a 50/50 shot of getting his polarity shift to fire before he dies at Lvl 48. Working on getting his level up as well but he's 0/4/3 and maxes at Lvl 54 now. Should get my first blue cover after this PVE event.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

skipdogg posted:

I don't know how I missed it but I do have a 2/2/3 OBW, She's only at level 46 though until I can get some more covers for her. I use her, but she's a bit weat and tends to die before I can get her Recon to fire. Same for Mags, I have a 50/50 shot of getting his polarity shift to fire before he dies at Lvl 48. Working on getting his level up as well but he's 0/4/3 and maxes at Lvl 54 now. Should get my first blue cover after this PVE event.

One other thing I sort of glossed over is the use of 1-star teams. A maxed MStorm + MBW/IM35 can be a perfectly valid duo to use while your 2-star heroes are still pretty weak. I would recommend rebooting your MBW though & only taking her purple to 1 or 2 covers. It keeps it cheap & missing out on black/purple isn't a huge loss. Juggernaut/Venom can be annoying as hell in defense too.

Basil Fawlty
Aug 28, 2003

Wolfsbane posted:

Tried to join as Aciho.

In, and we're out of slots. Can only commanders add more? If anyone in the alliance wants to shell out the 600 HP for an additional slot I'll promote them up if necessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
*cracks knuckles* Guess who's been given charge of his own top 50(ish) alliance. If any of you poo poo givers want to join a poo poo giving (but not super poo poo giving) alliance let me know and I'll see about getting you in when there's room.