Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Pretty much everything about their push to make Angela Thor's sister has been fairly terrible. They should have just kept it as is, "Crazy time poo poo happened, reality buckled, here's Angela".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
To be fair, it's totally fitting that a character from a Spawn comic would awkwardly shoe-horn half mocking half misunderstood christian stuff into whatever they're involved in. Spawn's the Japanese RPG of comics after all.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah but don't tell me the All-Father of the Norse Gods Odinforcing Heaven and all the angels out of reality isn't badass.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
It's not, it's kind of a stupid, what the gently caress do angels have to do with the Norse? Why is that a thing that would ever go together? Who thought this one up?

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Boogaleeboo posted:

It's not, it's kind of a stupid, what the gently caress do angels have to do with the Norse? Why is that a thing that would ever go together? Who thought this one up?

You're kind of a stupid :smug:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Boogaleeboo posted:

No reason you can't mix mythologies. There was a really good Incredible Hercules storyline back in the day about various pantheons fighting each other.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Then undermine them completely by doing some horrible things at the last minute.

i love you guys

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

prefect posted:

No reason you can't mix mythologies. There was a really good Incredible Hercules storyline back in the day about various pantheons fighting each other.

I mean, this is all about a character from a book where there was a grand revelation that Jesus was actually a lady and also God's Mom. And also Satan's Mom. Compared to that finding out that there's an offbrand christian stick of the world tree called HEVEN seems right at home. The entire book feels like they're taking the piss out of Angela's real world origins in making her in-universe one.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

prefect posted:

Yes, but they were various pantheons. Hercules is a Greek God, Thor is a Norse God, the end. Don't really need to do a lot there, just "All the gods are real". There has been a lot done with the Nine Realms over the years and their place in the order of things for the Asgardians in the Marvel universe, and obviously it's all based on the actual Norse religion. Throwing in some Tenth Realm of Angels [That have no relation to all the other Angels, fallen or otherwise, that have been in the Marvel universe over the years] that only exist to be chumped for this miniseries and will never be mentioned again? It's hackery. You could get the same thing with "Also Odin nailed an angel and you have a sister." if you absolutely need to give Thor a sister for some reason. And hell, you still get to fight angels, and you don't have to go full retard with this "Tenth Realm" bullshit.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Also, if that Tenth Real is still positioned on the Norse world tree at least give it a wacky name like Hevenheim or something.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Grendels Dad posted:

Also, if that Tenth Real is still positioned on the Norse world tree at least give it a wacky name like Hevenheim or something.

Okay, this is an objection I can agree with. :D

(I can also understand the objection to the "tenth realm" thing. I'm actually surprised it hasn't been done before; I would have expected multiple "tenth realms" after all these years.)

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

prefect posted:

Okay, this is an objection I can agree with. :D

(I can also understand the objection to the "tenth realm" thing. I'm actually surprised it hasn't been done before; I would have expected multiple "tenth realms" after all these years.)

There are. Fraction had a Tenth World which were a bunch of blue guys who killed other worlds. Balder banished them to limbo and spends all his time hunting them down.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

The Question IRL posted:

There are. Fraction had a Tenth World which were a bunch of blue guys who killed other worlds. Balder banished them to limbo and spends all his time hunting them down.

I didn't think they were a 'realm' the way Asgard and the various helms were. I thought they were from somewhere outside and got in through the void where Asgard (realm) had been.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I wondered what they were gonna do with her when they made a big deal about getting here and GotG Angela seemed pretty cool when she was palling around with Gamora, I guess that didn't last then?

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master

Boogaleeboo posted:

They could be a Marvelfied distortion of valkyries?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

redstormpopcorn posted:

They could be a Marvelfied distortion of valkyries?

Marvel actually has Valkyries though, including one literally called Valkyrie. She's a Defender.

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master
Yeah, but these are the bad dumb valkyries that Odin put on a bus to Stupidville and the only in-flight entertainment was Dogma.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Boogaleeboo posted:

It's not, it's kind of a stupid, what the gently caress do angels have to do with the Norse?

About as much as Angela does with angels.

If mash ups of different mythologies gets your goat your goat must be in a perpetual state of gotten from the Marvel Mythological side.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

WickedHate posted:

Marvel actually has Valkyries though, including one literally called Valkyrie. She's a Defender.

Dani Moonstar is a valkyrie, isn't she? The best use of that was during the Mutant Massacre crossover, when she saw an enormous death figure lurking over the mansion. :allears:

(I can't find a picture. Google image search has gotten weird recently.)

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

SirDan3k posted:

About as much as Angela does with angels.

If mash ups of different mythologies gets your goat your goat must be in a perpetual state of gotten from the Marvel Mythological side.

Seriously, anybody complaining about how this gels with Norse mythology has no business reading Thor comics. You might as well start complaining about how radioactive spiders are implausible, 'cause your suspension of disbelief is busted.

That said, Heven is a dumb name.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Just be happy that it doesn't have an i or j sound, because they would totally have that replaced with a y.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Hevyn.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

:smith:

Oh man.

Horrible Taste
Oct 12, 2012

Boogaleeboo posted:

According to Brevoort, Quesada is the one who came up with everything about Angela's backstory. So blame him.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Man, not posting pics cause the entire issue counts as badass, but Injustice Year Two #22 just made me yell "HOLY gently caress".

When the writers are on, man they are loving ON.

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

"My sole motive is to inform the public as to that which is done in their name and that which is done against them."
At least her name isn't Nevaeh.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Man, not posting pics cause the entire issue counts as badass, but Injustice Year Two #22 just made me yell "HOLY gently caress".

When the writers are on, man they are loving ON.

This is a pretty impressive evil badass moment, because it shows how far down the rabbit hole the character's gone with a minimum of gore and bodycount but maximum :tviv: twist factor.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

d00gZ posted:

At least her name isn't Nevaeh.

"You still haven't given up on me, Alfred?"

"Nevaeh!"

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Mr. Maltose posted:

I mean, this is all about a character from a book where there was a grand revelation that Jesus was actually a lady and also God's Mom. And also Satan's Mom. Compared to that finding out that there's an offbrand christian stick of the world tree called HEVEN seems right at home. The entire book feels like they're taking the piss out of Angela's real world origins in making her in-universe one.

...isn't that just an attempt at bashing Judeo-Christian mythology into a Gnostic framework, with Jesus as the Source, God as Sophia, and Satan as the Demiurge? That's not really that batshit, honestly.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Lumberjanes #1 takes place at a girl's camp. Sorry, I meant:

Pretty much just your ordinary summer camp.

:allears: That's the best battlecry I've seen in comics in a long while.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

SALT CURES HAM posted:

...isn't that just an attempt at bashing Judeo-Christian mythology into a Gnostic framework, with Jesus as the Source, God as Sophia, and Satan as the Demiurge? That's not really that batshit, honestly.

No because both God and Devil were depicted literally as bickering children because of course they are it's Todd McFarlane.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

e X posted:

:smith:

Oh man.

Van Hevyn?
Hel Hevenheim?

Plain Heven just isn't :regd10: enough

Could work as a cheesy pop-band name though. Plain Heven.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

Pimpmust posted:

Van Hevyn?
Hel Hevenheim?

Plain Heven just isn't :regd10: enough

Could work as a cheesy pop-band name though. Plain Heven.

Bifrost in the Dark. :regd10:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

SynthOrange posted:

Lumberjanes #1 takes place at a girl's camp. Sorry, I meant:

:allears: That's the best battlecry I've seen in comics in a long while.
This is like that Penny Arcade comic.

But awesomeish!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Jumping on the Lumberjanes bandwagon.

A few pages later:

All from Lumberjanes #3

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

PYF Fastball Special:

Previous page for context.

That air swirl...

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

zoux posted:

PYF Fastball Special:

That air swirl...

I now like to think that Colossus threw him with a spiral for better accuracy. Logan's so dizzy when he lands on that sentinel or whatever.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I'm sure it's just perspective, but Peter's lookin really naked there.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

zoux posted:

PYF Fastball Special:

That air swirl...

Is that the Surfer doing the pitching? He needs to be careful he doesn't shear Logan's flesh off from throwing too hard. :ohdear:

(Upon closer inspection, I see the flattop, so it's just Colossus. :sigh:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
Reposted from having accidentally posted in the Avengers thread: