Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Communocracy posted:

Also I haven't seen this come up in the thread yet:

I remember reading a year or so ago about Republicans illegally using off duty Marines in suits and white ear pieces to guard their events. Glad to see they're extending the tradition to local law enforcement.

Nothing like starting the day feeling sick to my stomach about seeing 1st amendment rights trampled and the officer cleared even with video evidence of him in the wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Communocracy posted:

My god, I think you've single-handedly destroyed any desire I had to go to Burning Man:

And this is a pretty depressing prospect as well:

Well it is pretty representative of libertarian thought: a bunch of people gather together and bring in food, fuel, shelter, and supplies from the pre-existing civilization, enjoy invisible protection from that established civilization, and call it self-reliance.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Not even accurate. I'm sure that title rightly belongs to someone in this thread.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Everblight posted:

YES WE TAN

Already taken by Boehner, sorry.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Hedera Helix posted:

Norquist practically invented that line of thought.

Yeah but usually the originators of reactionary thought are just using it as a means to an end, they haven't religiously internalized it (see Lee Atwater).

Fried Chicken posted:

Nothing like starting the day feeling sick to my stomach about seeing 1st amendment rights trampled and the officer cleared even with video evidence of him in the wrong.

Cops get away with this and worse all the time. The shocking part is that he did this to a white (I think) woman.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Shear Modulus posted:

The shocking part is that he did this to a white (I think) woman.

Woman should have been at home making dinner for her husband, not out trying to make men look bad.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
Turns out Cantor found the best way to get over his primary loss was to fall rear end backwards into a pile of money:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2014/09/02/eric-cantor-joins-wall-street-investment-firm-will-open-washington-office/

quote:

Former House majority leader Eric Cantor is joining a Wall Street investment bank as vice chairman and managing director, the firm announced this morning.

The firm, Moelis & Co., said Cantor will be based in the New York office of the global company and will soon open an office in Washington. Moelis, with 500 employees, is known as a fast-growing “boutique” firm that advises companies and investors on mergers, acquisitions and risk.

However they may not want to press his experience in risk assessment.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Police arrest black political candidate for distributing literature on voting rights

If this poo poo was happening in a movie we'd roll our eyes at how heavy handed it was trying to get across its "establishment are the bad guys" message

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

^^^
Well that just loving crushed the my good natured punning :smith:

Vahakyla posted:

gently caress the comments.

drat. I wanted to join an union before the speech was over. That was hella dope. He really did do well.
Hey, if he decided to run for president which do you think he'll go with as a tagline?
"Go Joe!"
Or
"We've been Biden our time for long enough!"

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

cheese eats mouse posted:

And they all drink Monster and have horrible breath due to all the caffeine. I used to work with these guys when I was in warehouses.

We should be encouraging such consumption; eventually the problem will solve itself through heart conditions and diabetes.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Fried Chicken posted:

Police arrest black political candidate for distributing literature on voting rights

If this poo poo was happening in a movie we'd roll our eyes at how heavy handed it was trying to get across its "establishment are the bad guys" message

quote:

“They said they would charge me for distributing literature,” Turner told ThinkProgress when he was released a few hours later. “I asked [the policeman] for the ordinance number [being violated], because they can’t put handcuffs on you if they cannot tell you why they’re detaining you. I said, ‘Show me where it’s illegal to do this.’ But he would not do it. The officer got mad and grabbed me. Then he told me that I was resisting arrest!”

This really seems like one of those urban legends that isn't remotely true. Right up there with "they have to tell you the truth if you ask whether they're a cop!"

Fake edit: the person was asking the officer for an ordinance number, which seems a very different request from being told why you're being detained.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Grundulum posted:

This really seems like one of those urban legends that isn't remotely true. Right up there with "they have to tell you the truth if you ask whether they're a cop!"

Yeah, the actual truth is "cops can do whatever the gently caress they want."

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
They can grab you for any/no reason and hold you for (I believe) 48 hours, at which point Habeas Corpus kicks in and you need to be charged or released. A good lawyer can make some hay of baseless detention, but it gets sticky without good documentation.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Yeah, but if you chug a bottle of vodka and throw your keys out the window they can't arrest you.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Fried Chicken posted:

This loving country.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Have police decided to criminalize the people who put lovely dance club cards on cars now or is it a special law put in place by officers at that exact moment against blacks distributing anything that can be read?

isildur
May 31, 2000

BattleDroids: Flashpoint OH NO! Dekker! IS DOWN! THIS IS Glitch! Taking Command! THIS IS Glich! Taking command! OH NO! Glitch! IS DOWN! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! OH NO! Medusa IS DOWN!

Soon to be part of the Battletech Universe canon.

Nonsense posted:

Have police decided to criminalize the people who put lovely dance club cards on cars now or is it a special law put in place by officers at that exact moment against blacks distributing anything that can be read?

The article posted:

There is a local ordinance prohibiting leafleting on cars. But according to local activist Casey Throneburg, who also filmed the arrest, it is almost never enforced, and “certainly not with handcuffs.”

So yeah. Being political while black.

e: Basically, it was the usual "cop grabs someone, who instinctively flinches and pulls back, and the cop shouts 'resisting arrest' and boom, off to jail for a while." And of course no charges filed because the point was to intimidate, not to prevent crime.

isildur fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Sep 2, 2014

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Nonsense posted:

Businesses? They're free to put any paint-damaging bullshit on your car that they choose to. Duh.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

This loving country.

Immigrants always welcome in the Narco(unoffcial)/Petro(official) State of Canada! :canada:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Nonsense posted:

Theres an ordinance against it according to the article. I think a lot of places have that, but they have to actually catch the person distributing the fliers and can't go after the business that is being advertised. And you know its a fine not jail time.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

El Scotch posted:

Immigrants always welcome in the Narco(unoffcial)/Petro(official) State of Canada! :canada:

It's a constantly tempting thought.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

This loving country.

Only 9 days til flag-burning day!

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
Ugh TV stations have largely stopped the 9-11 remembrance-a-thon right? I recall years past when stations would just scroll all three thousand+ names all morning.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

I don't know how to get the address of a vine embedded in a tweet clear of the tweet itself on my phone ap, so I'll just link the tweet itself.

Have some Fox News stupidity. https://twitter.com/africasacountry/status/506901444877099008

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Fried Chicken posted:

I don't know how to get the address of a vine embedded in a tweet clear of the tweet itself on my phone ap, so I'll just link the tweet itself.

Have some Fox News stupidity. https://twitter.com/africasacountry/status/506901444877099008

That's remarkable. Even for them...

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

So this storify just adds to the Ferguson fun: https://storify.com/DKShan/backoffice-politics-and-misdealings-in-missouri

It doesn't surprise me, but jesus.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

ewe2 posted:

So this storify just adds to the Ferguson fun: https://storify.com/DKShan/backoffice-politics-and-misdealings-in-missouri

It doesn't surprise me, but jesus.

I tried talking about this in the Brown thread before I just couldn't keep up with the pace of new posts. [Ask] me about any specifics you wanna know, and I'll try to point* you in the right direction.

*death to leakers is an official policy that I don't wanna tangle with

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
So, what precisely is happening?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Shbobdb posted:

So, what precisely is happening?

In Missouri? Nixon wants Clinton's Veep slot, McCullahhh wants Gov, Obama wants heads, the AG wants Gov and is a teaparty true-believer willing to put partisan differences aside to protect the police and not look 'soft on crime' (read as friendly to, in some frank words I've heard uttered in JeffCity, uppity negroes) and justice is a long way off.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

"If Obama really cared about women, he wouldn't of let us block equal pay legislation"-GOP

The link the the GOP twitter post if anybody wants it: https://twitter.com/GOP/status/506524410158006272

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

hangedman1984 posted:

"If Obama really cared about women, he wouldn't of let us block equal pay legislation"-GOP

The link the the GOP twitter post if anybody wants it: https://twitter.com/GOP/status/506524410158006272
Today's edition of oppositeofreality.png

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

hangedman1984 posted:

To me this is somewhat worrisome because this level of disconnect is eventually going to cause their followers to react very very badly when their version of reality keeps getting rejected by the public at large. I could honestly see a Tea Party type losing an election and honestly refusing to concede and his followers honestly becoming violent.

At this rate if November is anything but a massive Republican sweep it is going to be election fraud. If a Republican does not win POTUS in 2016 there may be (small) but actual rebellions over it.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Prester John posted:

To me this is somewhat worrisome because this level of disconnect is eventually going to cause their followers to react very very badly when their version of reality keeps getting rejected by the public at large. I could honestly see a Tea Party type losing an election and honestly refusing to concede and his followers honestly becoming violent.

You mean like in Mississippi?

I don't think there has been any direct physical violence yet, but there has been a ton of threats, intimidation and abuse, and one suicide.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

hangedman1984 posted:

Wait what on earth am I looking at my brain cannot process this.

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Wait what on earth am I looking at my brain cannot process this.

concerntrolling.png

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Prester John posted:

At this rate if November is anything but a massive Republican sweep it is going to be election fraud. If a Republican does not win POTUS in 2016 there may be (small) but actual rebellions over it.
I cannot say there will not be isolated cases and upbursts and outrisings of unpleasantness, but most of these people are old and sick. They are not going to have a putsch.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

hangedman1984 posted:

Do they not know that people can look this stuff up, or do they just not care?

"Let's just fling as much poo poo against the wall as we possibly can, there's no way they can clean up all of it!"

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Fried Chicken posted:

I can't believe someone used a "if you can't tell me the ordinance you can't arrest me" argument to challenge a cop. This isn't Dungeons and Dragons. There is no Protection From Law Enforcement spell that a citizen can utter that makes police have to leave you alone. Unless you have Power Word Diplomatic Immunity and its required components you don't challenge a cop like this (and I still wouldn't risk it). :psyduck: None of this excuses the cops going overboard but challenging a cop's authority is never a good idea. Unless you're white and have a bunch of people in the area with guns and a desire to kill law enforcement (Bundy ranch) in which case you might get away with it temporarily.

There needs to be a federal law that prohibits "resisting arrest" being charged against anyone unless they were actually being arrested with cause. It also needs to reinforce that resist has to be physical because I'm pretty sure the COTB threads had 'verbal resisting' in some of the more blatant cases of abuse.

Grundulum posted:

Fake edit: the person was asking the officer for an ordinance number, which seems a very different request from being told why you're being detained.

A reasonable request, but I'm going to loving stunned if cops can give the number more often than not unless it's something they deal with on a regular basis.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Cheekio posted:

Turns out Cantor found the best way to get over his primary loss was to fall rear end backwards into a pile of money:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2014/09/02/eric-cantor-joins-wall-street-investment-firm-will-open-washington-office/

However they may not want to press his experience in risk assessment.

Christ, I saw this news this morning and my first reaction was "perfect". My wife had no idea who or what I was talking about.

El Scotch posted:

We should be encouraging such consumption; eventually the problem will solve itself through heart conditions and diabetes.

Leave it to the free market!

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Ugh TV stations have largely stopped the 9-11 remembrance-a-thon right? I recall years past when stations would just scroll all three thousand+ names all morning.

The anniversary has to end in a five or a zero, otherwise you just have to wear a flag pin or some poo poo and perhaps burn two candles, one for each tower. Two years from now, when it's the 15th anniversary, you'll be required to sit in front of your TV and cry. Then burn two candles. What I'm saying is that you don't have to cry this year. Unless you feel like it I mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Do they not know that people can look this stuff up, or do they just not care?

"Let's just fling as much poo poo against the wall as we possibly can, there's no way they can clean up all of it!"

I guess they figure people on The Twitters are all progressive enough to support equal pay so they'll customize their messaging to the audience.

If Democrats were as smart as the GOP they'd start buying airtime on Rush Limbaugh to say Republicans have a secret plan to steal all your guns or taking out ads in the Wall Street Journal warning about the GOP's plot to lull everyone into a false state of security then institute communism that was cooked up at last year's Bohemian Grove.