Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Killer robot posted:

I recall she did get called "that giant woman" once, but at 6'8" or whatever it's not inaccurate.

Maybe combustion benders are just naturally tall. Combustion Man certainly had some height if I remember right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

mateo360 posted:

Maybe combustion benders are just naturally tall. Combustion Man certainly had some height if I remember right.

Also a rockin metal arm and leg :black101:

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Was P'Li a descendant of the original Combustion Man?

I'd hate to be from that family with all this bad luck they're having.

Otherwise, it's probably some cult or something that helps people develop this style of bending.

blurry!
Jun 14, 2006

Sorry for Party Flocking
A place where the franchise can go is to bring back the lion turtles. Apparently the lion turtles are very powerful beings concerned mostly with the material realm, and are generally antithetical to spirits. They provided protection on their backs for the humans, and gave them tools to defend themselves against the spirit wilds. The LTs themselves didn't seem to concerned with how this affected the spirits. Additionally, they were a source bending, which is not found anywhere in the spirit world. Rava was even respectful to the Lion Turtles.

Maybe the incursion of the spirit wilds causes them to emerge from wherever the gently caress they've been hanging out.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

uncleKitchener posted:

Was P'Li a descendant of the original Combustion Man?

I'd hate to be from that family with all this bad luck they're having.

Otherwise, it's probably some cult or something that helps people develop this style of bending.

Suyin seemed familiar enough with combustionbending as to suggest that there are more out there than just the two.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Rexides posted:

I'd rather see the story of an earlier Avatar than take the series further into the future. The industrial setting of Korra was kinda cool, but I think that a classic wuxia setting fits the bending elements better.

Definitely. You lose out on a lot of the distinctive action elements if you improve the technology (and improving technology is a clear part of the setting). They've done a good job of keeping vehicles from overshadowing the martial arts, but the need to justify not putting putting bombs and cannons on the airplanes and battleships they already have will only put tighter limits on how far they can escalate the conflicts.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Bongo Bill posted:

Definitely. You lose out on a lot of the distinctive action elements if you improve the technology (and improving technology is a clear part of the setting). They've done a good job of keeping vehicles from overshadowing the martial arts, but the need to justify not putting putting bombs and cannons on the airplanes and battleships they already have will only put tighter limits on how far they can escalate the conflicts.

Nukebendng.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

If there is somehow ever a third Avatar series (and I sincerely hope there is despite some of the low points of Korra), I'd much prefer it to be a sequel. Prequels always feel extremely pre-determined, even when the majority of their story has yet to be told. There's just not the same level of excitement for me in a prequel as there is a sequel. As for a sci-fi setting, I'd be okay with that, but I think you could probably fit the Earth Avatar into a technology period somewhat akin to our own, and leave the hypothetical sci-fi setting for the Fire Avatar.

I don't really think improved technology would ever overshadow bending if it was written correctly. Instead, technology could work to complement bending, much like how Zaofu is already depicted. And some forms of new technology wouldn't really work with or against bending at all. If the Avatar world had an internet equivalent, that wouldn't impact the setting all that much, in my opinion. It'd probably have as much impact as the already existing radio and "movers".

Nichael fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Sep 2, 2014

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Nichael posted:

If there is somehow ever a third Avatar series (and I sincerely hope there is despite some of the low points of Korra), I'd much prefer it to be a sequel. Prequels always feel extremely pre-determined, even when the majority of their story has yet to be told. There's just not the same level of excitement for me in a prequel as there is a sequel. As for a sci-fi setting, I'd be okay with that, but I think you could probably fit the Earth Avatar into a technology period somewhat akin to our own, and leave the hypothetical sci-fi setting for the Fire Avatar.

Or!

Orrrrrrrrrrrr!

Post apocalyptic! All the fun of mideval times, and whatever trappings of civilization you feel like keeping.

Easily explained by having the Earthbending Cold-War Avatar gently caress things up royal.

Is anybody writing these ideas down? We need to send this in to Nick before they start working on the next cycle.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Applewhite posted:

Or!

Orrrrrrrrrrrr!

Post apocalyptic! All the fun of mideval times, and whatever trappings of civilization you feel like keeping.

Easily explained by having the Cold-War Avatar gently caress things up royal.

Is it unethical to blood bend zombies?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Nichael posted:

Nahh.

Plus, the post apocalyptic firebender sets thing up for the next Airbending Avatar to forge a new utopia from the ashes. Everyone lives in harmony with the spirits and each other. Full circle.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

Nichael posted:

Is desecrating an already-desecrated corpse unethical?

Yes in the world of Avatar.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Applewhite posted:

Nukebendng.
Funny you should say that, that idea was actually pitched at the writers' retreat for Season 3 of Avatar: The Last Airbender (specifically, firebenders combining their mental energies to create nuclear explosions). It was rejected immediately because, obviously, it's ridiculous and stupid, but it ended up being the inspiration for Combustion Man.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Funny you should say that, that idea was actually pitched at the writers' retreat for Season 3 of Avatar: The Last Airbender (specifically, firebenders combining their mental energies to create nuclear explosions). It was rejected immediately because, obviously, it's ridiculous and stupid, but it ended up being the inspiration for Combustion Man.

See, Firebending would be one's first impulse for the source of nuclear weapons, but what with Uranium being a heavy metal and all, might fall under metalbending?

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

The correct answer for the next Avatar story is obviously a Spelljammer-esque space opera.

:black101:

Earthbender ships are powered by them crushing Uranium with their bending to power the ships.

ATP_Power fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Sep 2, 2014

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Applewhite posted:

So I only just got caught up (I watched the whole of season 3 in marathon over the past week). First off:
How awesome was this?

I know I'm not the only person who cheered at that part.

Secondly:

I'm kind of wondering where the show can go for the next Avatar incarnation. On the one hand, they could play it safe and have their world stuck in some kind of medival stasis, with the next Avatar living in a steampunk world not much different than Korra's. Personally, though, I think it would be much more daring and awesome to have the series continue to move forward with our world, which would place the next Avatar sometime around their world's Vietnam War (assuming Korra survivies her world's WWI/II equivalents).

How awesome would that be? The Avatar takes on Vietnam. All the social upheval and violence of that era would make for some pretty daring exploration.

Plus, Avatar Korra would be the only accesible precursor to the new Avatar, so her relationship with the new one would be pretty close.

IIRC, Avatars live for 100+ years (Aang being the exception because he burned up 100 years in his ice bubble), so the next Avatar would be pretty far past any kind of mid-20th century conflict analogues, barring Korra dying young, I think.

blurry! posted:

A place where the franchise can go is to bring back the lion turtles. Apparently the lion turtles are very powerful beings concerned mostly with the material realm, and are generally antithetical to spirits. They provided protection on their backs for the humans, and gave them tools to defend themselves against the spirit wilds. The LTs themselves didn't seem to concerned with how this affected the spirits. Additionally, they were a source bending, which is not found anywhere in the spirit world. Rava was even respectful to the Lion Turtles.

Maybe the incursion of the spirit wilds causes them to emerge from wherever the gently caress they've been hanging out.

Down for this. More lion turtles is always cool.

ATP_Power posted:

The correct answer for the next Avatar story is obviously a Spelljammer-esque space opera.

:black101:

Definitely down for this.

Honestly I don't care where they take it if they somehow get the backing for more seasons or series. Between Amazon, Netflix, Yahoo Streaming, Cartoon Network, etc, there has to be a service out there that sees the potential in the Avatar series and would be willing to throw some money at it.

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011
It doesn't matter much if the creators believe they're done with the Avatar universe.

I don't think there will be any more shows, but I might hold out hope for some Korra comics (with a writer who isn't Gene Luen Yang). We need small, character-driven stories about ATLA far, far less than we need small, character-driven stories about Korra and company.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Wildeyes posted:

It doesn't matter much if the creators believe they're done with the Avatar universe.

This is what's keeping me from fully hoping for a new series. We've still got one more season to go, so it could be entirely possible that the finale (or events leading up to it) cause things that bring the franchise to a definitive end from a storytelling perspective.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

Regalingualius posted:

This is what's keeping me from fully hoping for a new series. We've still got one more season to go, so it could be entirely possible that the finale (or events leading up to it) cause things that bring the franchise to a definitive end from a storytelling perspective.

Definitive end huh? Last scene of the 4th season is Korra entering a club named Stavro Mueller's Beta.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Applewhite posted:

Or!

Orrrrrrrrrrrr!

Easily explained by having the Earthbending Cold-War Avatar gently caress things up royal.

Is anybody writing these ideas down? We need to send this in to Nick before they start working on the next cycle.
How about Post Post Apocalypse

Bending... bending never changes

Ron Perlman is pretty cheap so they can even get him to be a villain/anti-hero.

Oh wait they already got him before, eh Clancy Brown is probably easy to get a hold of.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

achillesforever6 posted:

Bending... bending never changes

Ron Perlman is pretty cheap so they can even get him to be a villain/anti-hero.

Oh wait they already got him before, eh Clancy Brown is probably easy to get a hold of.
Clancy Brown was Long Feng and Yakone. Ron Pearlman was Sozin in just the one episode.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Wildeyes posted:

They have said that they don't want to continue Avatar immediately after Book 4 of Korra, but are open to returning to it. Really, I just think this franchise needs four series so we can have one for each element.

Nichael fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Sep 2, 2014

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011
I don't remember where it was, but I think I read that the creators said they'll be done with anything Avatar-related once Korra is over. I welcome being wrong though.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Wouldn't the next Avatar be born in the Earth Kingdom if the cycle holds up?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Nichael posted:

They have said that they don't want to continue Avatar immediately after Book 4 of Korra, but are open to returning to it. Really, I just think this franchise needs four series so we can have one for each element.

This is probably the best idea.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

blurry! posted:

This is one of the issues with the short-season format Korra suffers from. The writers keep tackling concepts and plots that need more salesmanship on the part of the antagonists to be believable or sympathetic. Every season they've delved into what would be an extremely complex real-life situation, but even during the best season don't have time to give it the nuance it deserves. The Equalists really needed more narrative representation to sell their side of the story and explain to us, the audience, why their membership boomed and they were popular with the common folk. In real life, there are extremists plenty, but they are often largely ignored unless they strike a chord with the general populace. We got Amon sermonizing about being on a mission from God (the spirits), and that firebender criminals are jerks. Sato also says firebenders are jerks. We don't get any other character that really explains their position and really sells the Equalists' appeal. People are mad at the Avatar and benders, but why?

Wait, you really didn't get a sense of the plight of the non-bender in Republic City from the first few episodes? Bender gangs like the Triads demanding protection money, pro-benders able to go from rags to riches based on their abilities, and the overall notion that if you're in an argument or fight with a bender, they can take you out without even coming within arms reach to make it a fair fight. And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

Hell, look at the pro-Equalist dude rallying in the park about the oppression of benders, who Korra ran into her first day in the city. He accused her of wanting to knock him down using her bending to silence his opinion, and he was absolutely right. Granted, Korra was at that point nothing more than a hothead who punched first and asked questions later, but imagine being a non-bending citizen in a world where a quarter or more of your population had magic powers you don't have and can never gain, which can be used to boost themselves in industries that require bending or could be used to harm non-benders in all sorts of ways. That would inspire tons of fear and jealousy, enough to inflame a movement against all bending, especially when they used terms like Equalists and employed chi blocking techniques to prevent benders from using their advantages against you.

Granted, the hobo population living in the sewers showed that benders and non-benders alike suffered in Republic City, so it's not that the city's issues of equality stemmed entirely from the dichotomy between benders and non-benders. But benders are a really convenient scapegoat when they're a minority who seem privileged in the eyes of the masses swayed by their own confirmation bias and a charismatic leader that by all appearances seemed to be backed by the Spirits and completely untouchable by even the Avatar.

Anyway, my point is that it's not that the first season didn't demonstrate why people supported the Equalists, it simply did not pay out as it should have. None of those issues were actually addressed in the end. Amon was just run off, his movement presumably collapsed because of its leader's hypocrisy, and Korra moved on to the next bad guy in season two. So a lot of angry people who supported the Equalist cause due to oppression by benders (real or perceived) were left to simply slink back to their homes with no real forum in which to air their grievances once the situation was "resolved."

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

As long as we're tossing out dumb ideas for a third series I'd be cool to see an analogue to our 80s/early 90s. TV, punks, crazy hair and awful fashion like airbenders in goddamn day-glo tunics or whatever. Maybe have the next avatar be a rock star... :downsrim:

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

Feranon posted:

As long as we're tossing out dumb ideas for a third series I'd be cool to see an analogue to our 80s/early 90s. TV, punks, crazy hair and awful fashion like airbenders in goddamn day-glo tunics or whatever. Maybe have the next avatar be a rock star... :downsrim:

Since she's an earthbender, they could call her Gem!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Rosalind posted:

Since she's an earthbender, they could call her Gem!

What a truly outrageous suggestion.

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

DoctorWhat posted:

What a truly outrageous suggestion.

Truly, truly, truly outrageous.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Feranon posted:

100% down with this.

Aertuun
Dec 18, 2012

Rewatching the series with a friend, and just got past the hump of the first six episodes of season 2. God drat the animation is awful. It sucks all the life out of the show, none of the characters seem alive. Everything comes across as bland.

What really comes across in Studio Mir's animation is personality and a real love for the actual work. Pierrot was clearly just doing a job, and a lovely one at that.

Apart from Unalaq's bizarre motivations and decision making, I actually think the writing of the first six episodes is solid, which wasn't my first impression. A lot of the great character moments in the show come from the animation, and those were completely lacking with Pierrot's animation.

All the characters stand stiffly. The only thing that moves in the frame are their moves. Crowd reaction shots are single images that pan for a few seconds. It's terrible.

I'm with people who think the seasons should be longer (twice as long!). Though I have no idea how the logistics of that would stack up. One of the stated reasons for Mir not doing the start of season 2 was burn out from the amount of work they had to put into season 1. I suspect the other reason is that they asked for more money, and weren't given it.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Rosalind posted:

Suyin seemed familiar enough with combustionbending as to suggest that there are more out there than just the two.

I wonder if this type of bending is legal or not. I mean, this is a form of combat where you shoot homing missiles from your head, but then again, the other bending forms can also hurt you bad, so it's probably just the case of comparing a pot to a pan.

Feranon posted:

This is one of the best ideas.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

uncleKitchener posted:

I wonder if this type of bending is legal or not. I mean, this is a form of combat where you shoot homing missiles from your head, but then again, the other bending forms can also hurt you bad, so it's probably just the case of comparing a pot to a pan.

Going by the common forehead iconogrophy between Combustion Man and P'Li, I always figured they were renegade members of a reclusive tribe or cult existing out in the wilderness.

Rocketfish
Jul 2, 2007

*pshew!*
Thanks!
I recall someone mentioning a fascinating story would be the story of the second avatar (who would be an air bender, but whatever). It's fascinating point in history.

The world itself is suffering from the loss of the spirits and the emergence of bending. It'd be utter chaos. There's a chance there were once cultures that depended on the spirits being present that would waste away, and we might yet see the dying glimpses of those people (likely getting their poo poo wrecked by proto-bending).

Also, while you're stuck with the four basic forms of bending, you reset the "power creep" that's seeped into the bending. No lightning bending, no blood bending, no metal bending, no white lotus, and no established tradition as the avatar being a "keeper of the peace". I'm almost certain that the avatar would end up either being a warlord or fighting for one. It's an awesome place to start.

The setting far enough in the past that parentage to the current cast wouldn't have to play into it at all. Fans will wank, but none of it will be canon.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Rocketfish posted:

I recall someone mentioning a fascinating story would be the story of the second avatar (who would be an air bender, but whatever). It's fascinating point in history.

The world itself is suffering from the loss of the spirits and the emergence of bending. It'd be utter chaos. There's a chance there were once cultures that depended on the spirits being present that would waste away, and we might yet see the dying glimpses of those people (likely getting their poo poo wrecked by proto-bending).

Also, while you're stuck with the four basic forms of bending, you reset the "power creep" that's seeped into the bending. No lightning bending, no blood bending, no metal bending, no white lotus, and no established tradition as the avatar being a "keeper of the peace". I'm almost certain that the avatar would end up either being a warlord or fighting for one. It's an awesome place to start.

The setting far enough in the past that parentage to the current cast wouldn't have to play into it at all. Fans will wank, but none of it will be canon.

This is pretty much my feeling on it. I think that having it be set ~10,000 years prior would work really well, far distanced enough from the events of ATLA and Korra that "prequelitis" doesn't really factor into things, aside from the audience knowing, generally, that certain events would happen far into that world's future. It'd be a fantastic time to show some of the earliest ideas of what an Avatar should do would be in the process of being worked out.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

achillesforever6 posted:

That's a silly idea. How about Post Cyberpocalypse?

Slam. Jam. Shoot. Dunk. Long ago, the four nations lived together in harmony. Then everything changed when verboten jams attacked.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

achillesforever6 posted:

C'mon and grab your friends...

i hate meatloaf
May 23, 2010

DrSunshine posted:

This is pretty much my feeling on it. I think that having it be set ~10,000 years prior would work really well, far distanced enough from the events of ATLA and Korra that "prequelitis" doesn't really factor into things, aside from the audience knowing, generally, that certain events would happen far into that world's future. It'd be a fantastic time to show some of the earliest ideas of what an Avatar should do would be in the process of being worked out.

I definitely agree with this, although I'd go with a few Avatars down the line from Wan when people have started to forget his time and legacy. That way we'll get a totally fresh time period, and several Avatar backstories to delve into. It'd be cool to see more ancient Avatar cultures like the Sun Warriors or the time of Oma and Shu, and maybe the Avatar could run into Guru Laghima.

Kind of related: in the Wan flashback he rode his catdeer to the various lion turtles, which would imply they're on the same landmass. What if to stop the fighting between people of different elements, some Avatar pulled a Kyoshi and split up the Avatar world to what we know it as?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

Honestly I don't care where they take it if they somehow get the backing for more seasons or series. Between Amazon, Netflix, Yahoo Streaming, Cartoon Network, etc, there has to be a service out there that sees the potential in the Avatar series and would be willing to throw some money at it.

I wrote about this idea not long ago, and am inclined to agree with how quickly streaming is changing the nature of the game.

Obviously, a lot will be up to the creators of the show and what they want to do. They may change their minds about not continuing with the Avatar universe or Nickelodeon could decide to shop the property out to new showrunners. In any case, Nick's in the really weird position where they can't really show Korra next to their Spongebob audience, but they also tend to embrace older viewers ala their 90's On Nick block. A Korra or Avatar series made with an online audience in mind really opens a lot of doors for them, if Nick chooses to go that route.

Korra's really the first animated show to transition to digital-only streaming. Plenty of live-action shows have done it, but no one's really tested the waters for a big cartoon franchise aside from shorts and what-not. Even if they don't want to continue with Avatar, Nick could really utilize Korra's online popularity to jumpstart their own streaming-only content in a way that other networks haven't yet.

I know a lot of people were decrying Korra's move to digital, but I actually think it's really forward-thinking on Nick's part if they navigate it right. Streaming-only content is pretty much the future of the industry anyway, so if Book Four does well we could see some other good "New Adult" series popping up from them over the next few years.

• Locked thread